• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please explain the Persona series to a n00b

Why the fuck would Atlus care about selling PS4s?

I guess you're right. but they are keeping the game playstation exclusive, so there's that. also, the more Ps4s people have, the higher the install base, the higher the chances of selling the game.

speaking of which, why wasn't there a persona character in psasbr?

I guess you're right. but they are keeping the game playstation exclusive, so there's that.

That's because porting to another console takes extra effort, and there fanbase is pretty much all on Playstation anyways, at least as far as home consoles.

Mandoric

Banned
To some degree, it's "overhyped" on GAF - in the real world, the hit status of 3 and 4 has pushed the series from hyperniche to around the buzz of mainline Tales, still way below AAA.

That said, it's an appealing blend of core JRPG gameplay - resource management through a dungeon, rock-paper-scissors element systems, and a bit of Pokemon-style "gotta catch 'em all" - with Actual Role Playing elements where NPCs have their own schedules, tastes, and opinions, and your dialog choices have a significant impact on how the game plays out.

There's also a very hip, urban audiovisual aesthetic, which is fairly rare across both RPGs (fantasy or SF) and games in general (modern AAA settings tend to lend themselves to a fairly conservative weltanschauung and the visual elements that implies, since they tend to focus on military, paramilitary, or cops-and-robbers casts and there's a particular demographic whose power fantasy is "being a good soldier" or for whom popcorn-movie-levels of crime are plausible.)

Lemstar

One a side note, I think they should axe the Ps3 version and pour all their resources into optimizing the Ps4 version.
Japan isn't like the US - the PS3/PS4 split between cross-gen games is still often in favor of the PS3 version. They'd be cutting out a lot of potential buyers.

but they made the fighting game multiplatform. and i'm guessing it sold decent on the non playstation platforms.
Persona 4 Arena sold so poorly on 360 that Ultimax's 360 version wasn't released in Japan.

Nimby

Banned
How often do serious discussions of the Persona series occur though? Wasn't one of the first P5 threads locked because the entire Persona population delved into "wife" talk? I mean, the dumb discussion overpowers anything that's ever serious about the games.

Also, not everyone has to love Persona, a scary concept on GAF, I know.

They're more frequent than you seem to know. What's up with the generalizations, did Shadow Yukiko burn your toast?

Pokemon with a interesting fusion system where you could make invulnerable godkillers with dungeon crawling, VN aspect and waifus.

Especially the waifus.

Japan isn't like the US - the PS3/PS4 split between cross-gen games is still often in favor of the PS3 version. They'd be cutting out a lot of potential buyers.

Persona 4 Arena sold so poorly on 360 that Ultimax's 360 version wasn't released in Japan.

well, that sucks.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
You play chinpokomon with demons that all have strengths and weaknesses in random dungeons. When you're not doing that, you date or befriend socially awkward teens that make you laugh.

It's awesome.

bpzplakjiro24al2eenp.gif

PaulloDEC

Persona 4 Golden is a game that stopped me from looking at JRPGs as something too difficult/complicated/culturally distant for me to ever enjoy.

I only finish games that I'm really enjoying, and I can count the number of games over 50 hours that I've completed on one hand. Persona 4 Golden is one of them.

I loved that show when I was a kid. way to ruin my childhood.

anyways, is there a localization wait period for us? or does it release everywhere simultaneously?

I'd anticipate a 2-4 month wait for the NA release, there's really not any precedent (that I'm aware of) for simultaneous Persona launches.

I would hope that this game is important enough for a speedier localization, but unfortunately that's just a wish for now.

I'd anticipate a 2-4 month wait for the NA release, there's really not any precedent (that I'm aware of) for simultaneous Persona launches.

I would hope that this game is important enough for a speedier localization, but unfortunately that's just a wish for now.

as long as the game releases this year here.

I said this in the trailer thread - does the new trailer's music remind anyone of xiaoyu's stage from tekken tag tournament?

LX_Theo

Banned
wait, what? they are all taking place in the same universe?
Yes. Persona 2 has the original Persona's cast show up in both entries.

Persona 3 has a television show that talks about the fates of the cast left at the end of the Persona 2 duology.

Persona 4 has the group take a field trip to the city and school P3 takes place in (not to mention the spin-offs putting the P3 and P4 casts together).

I recall Atlus USA encouraging its fanbase to show its desire to see a character in the game to the developers of the game. I'm guessing they thought it was too niche at the time to bother with the small budget that game got.

There are some definite connections, i.e. the Kirijo Group once being a part of the Nanjo Group.
i have no idea what that means but I hope i'll find out when I play p5.
Yes. Persona 2 has the original Persona's cast show up in both entries.

Persona 3 has a television show that talks about the fates of the cast left at the end of the Persona 2 duology.

Persona 4 has the group take a field trip to the city and school P3 takes place in (not to mention the spin-offs putting the P3 and P4 casts together).

I recall Atlus USA encouraging its fanbase to show its desire to see a character in the game to the developers of the game. I'm guessing they thought it was too niche at the time to bother with the small budget that game got.
well, here's to hoping they'll include some in the psasbr sequel
, if there even fucking is one.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
If it makes you feel any better, I feel the same way about Hans Zimmer soundtracks.

I tend to dislike that big orchestral soundtrack stuff (not that I hate it but it nothing stands out about it), though today I was listening to Joris Voorn's latest Essential Mix and it started with a Hans Zimmer song, that one was pretty good and more experimental/minimalist than bombastic (think more along the lines of a Steve Reich).

Also one thing about the Persona soundtracks... I remember a lot of people were up in arms when P3 came out with rap featured on its soundtrack. I've generally noticed a lot of RPG fans (well, a lot of nerds in general) tend to absolutely detest rap. Like when Wiz Khalifa did that track that sampled Chrono Trigger, the vitriol spewed by people was ridiculous.

Personally, I'm thrilled with the Persona soundtracks and how they turned out. Even if not every song directly appeals to me, its nice to see an RPG experiment in terms of music selection. It beats another buttrock/metal/classical mixture that the genre loves.

I have no idea why I love P4G, but I do.

I'm near the end of the game, and I still don't fully quite understand how the persona card system works, but apparently it's supposedly like Pokémon or something, which I never played or grew up with.

That said The music is awesome, the characters are funny, out of nowhere they curse and say funny things, and the game is not too intense, until you get to some of the battles. It's also an opportunity to learn about Japanese culture, there are very quirky things in the game, which you will grow to enjoy.

It's odd. It's rare that I will sit and play game for three hours straight, and this is one of those games. But I wouldn't necessarily call it one of my all-time favorite, I've probably spent more hours with it then any other game aside from super Mario 64 many years ago.

I think the right word to use here is polished. The game is polished. There are no flaws, it's extremely detailed but also fairly welcoming to a casual player.

BUY A VITA !

Sagely

I think the right word to use here is polished. The game is polished.

Agreed! The audiovisual presentation is incredibly slick and I really appreciate that in a game. Another thing I get from P4 is that it feels very cosy; listening to a song from the OST will take me back to quiet October evenings, chilling on the couch whilst lazily taking scooter rides around Inaba or helping Nanako with her homework. It somehow makes mundane everyday tasks quite pleasant and enjoyable.

Top Bottom