• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please explain the Persona series to a n00b

GobFather

Plots aren't connected to one another so you can jump in at any point.
I think the characters and writing is amazing.
Music is just soooooo good.

^This is good to know because I have never played any persona game but... looking at that trailer..I really want to try it but I also don't want to be so disconnected :p

Just play Persona 4 Golden and thank us later.

Persona 3+4 are Persona games where you go to school, do something after school and go to dungeons at the end of the day (or do something with friends again). Doing something with your social links (friend circle, colleagues etc.) will strengthen their bonds. With these bonds you are able to fuse Persona and use them in battle. Think Pokemon, just that there are 4 people in battle where one person (the main character) is able to change between different persona all the time, all the other characters are stuck to their main persona and their evolutions).

The music is godly. The gameplay is very good. Social links do not only strengthen the MCs bond, but you also feel attached to the characters like in no other game.

TL;DR I cried everytime when I finished P3 and P4. I miss my friends.
oo this explanation helps a lot

While you were too busy playing video games and lurking GAF during your high school years people were out there socializing and doing cool things with a gf. You too can do this too by playing the Persona series and re-living those moments you missed out on. Also comes with bonus RPG gameplay and fusing demons that play tribute to a Japanese manga that started off as Fist of the North Star meets Dracula.

Sorry if I was unclear. I didn't mean to imply that it was the visual style that turned you off, rather I was trying to say that you seemed to admit that you liked the visual styles of Persona 3 and 4 and yet didn't like those games, so I'd be wary of thinking you'd like Persona 5 just because you like the visual style.

Does that make sense?

Basically, I'm trying to shake out whether Persona 5 would be your thing. I'm well aware that not every game is for every person, and that's not a knock on the game. Just trying to help you out if you'd be better off not wasting your time.

Ok, yeah I get you now.

Yeah, I could see P5 doing the same, but the trailer seemed they are trying to make the game more action based/friendly.

That might help with the long tirades and spoken word.

ie. If it's closer to Cathrine but still a Persona game I think I'd enjoy it.

Other people have covered the structure of the games, so I won't go there.

If you don't intend on playing either of the recent games, P3 or P4, I'd advise you to check out the Giant Bomb Persona 4 Endurance. P3/4 are hard to describe, I think, because the games ultimately end up being what you make of them. You can scrape by in the dungeons and focus on the character development stuff (social links), you can focus on dungeons and completely ignore the other characters, or you can (and should) do both, since the social stuff makes you stronger in dungeons, and there really is a ton of content in each of the games.

The characters are typically fun while not being over-the-top to the extent that it clashes with some of the heavier themes the story, or their personal development arcs, tries to tackle. Some of the non-party social links can be hit or miss, but the main cast usually has good arcs that build on their characters nicely.

Patryn

Do NOT do this

How else are people supposed to learn about the composition and taste of the sweat of alien species?

Ok, yeah I get you now.

Yeah, I could see P5 doing the same, but the trailer seemed they are trying to make the game more action based/friendly.

That might help with the long tirades and spoken word.

ie. If it's closer to Cathrine but still a Persona game I think I'd enjoy it.

I see. I remain super skeptical about it having major action elements, but I guess we'll see.

Honestly most of the additions in Golden are just fanservice for people who've played through Persona 4. You're fine playing through the original version.

There are a lot of great gameplay improvements in Golden though including...

The ability to directly select which skills carry over (instead of retrying over & over until you get the ones you actually want).
More difficulty options.
Skill cards.
A much better post-battle reward game.
Stronger secondary characters (they changed their ability lists somewhat).
The ability to fast-forward through scenes.
Shorter load times.
An online feature that lets you see popular choices for that day.

None of this stuff is essential, but it all combines to make the actual gameplay a lot better in Golden than it was in the original game. Plus, there's all the new content too.

Plots aren't connected to one another so you can jump in at any point.
I think the characters and writing is amazing.
Music is just soooooo good.

none of the characters from any of the persona games are in more than one? none of the persona games have anything to do with each other?

none of the characters from any of the persona games are in more than one? none of the persona games have anything to do with each other?

There are Persona 1 characters that appear in the Persona 2 duology. For Personas 3 and 4, outside of occasional cameos and references, the games are standalone. There are crossover games though like Persona Q and the Persona 4 Arena games that feature siginificant interactions between the casts of Persona 3 and 4.

koutoru

It's an episode of Scooby Doo in Japan. They even have a dog.
That would be one creepy dog/bear thing.
127451.jpg

There are Persona 1 characters that appear in the Persona 2 duology. For Personas 3 and 4, outside of occasional cameos and references, the games are standalone. There are crossover games though like Persona Q and the Persona 4 Arena games that feature siginificant interactions between the casts of Persona 3 and 4.

so persona 5 is starting a new cast of characters. and i'm guessing there will be a p6 to complement it.

do all the persona games at least take place in the same universe?

so persona 5 is starting a new cast of characters. and i'm guessing there will be a p6 to complement it.

do all the persona games at least take place in the same universe?

3 and 4 absolutely do. I'm pretty sure that 1 and 2 are in the same universe as the others as well, but don't quote me on that. There's a huge shift in terms of both gameplay and tone from 1&2 to 3&4 so that they honestly feel like different series altogether.

I would be surprised if 5 didn't have an entirely new cast, and as such I don't think there should be anything stopping somebody from starting there. Any possible overarching story between the various games would likely be dealt with in a spinoff like Arena instead of the mainline series.

bobawesome

It's because of the "wife" talk and the high school sim that I put Persona on my "Do not play" list and "Really truly awful" list. People on NeoGAF and everywhere else take the "wife" talk to the next level and it's disturbing.

Yeah, that's a great reason to miss out on a series of games you may potentially like.

These threads...

Canucked

Don't stress out when playing persona 3 and 4. Try different things in your free time and meet different people. Go with the flow.

keuja

It's a very stylish but repetitive and boring dungeon crawler. Might give another chance to a PS4 version though.

3 and 4 absolutely do. I'm pretty sure that 1 and 2 are in the same universe as the others as well, but don't quote me on that. There's a huge shift in terms of both gameplay and tone from 1&2 to 3&4 so that they honestly feel like different series altogether.

I would be surprised if 5 didn't have an entirely new cast, and as such I don't think there should be anything stopping somebody from starting there. Any possible overarching story between the various games would likely be dealt with in a spinoff like Arena instead of the mainline series.

eh, so besides every 2 games, they really don't have anything to do with each other. not even the universe is consistent.

I don't like when games do that but p5 looks really cool. I'll get it when it comes out.

eh, so besides every 2 games, they really don't have anything to do with each other. not even the universe is consistent.

I don't like when games do that but p5 looks really cool. I'll get it when it comes out.
1 and 2 are definitely in the same universe, and 3 and 4 are also definitely in the same universe. I'm pretty sure 3 and 4 are technically in the same universe as 1 and 2 (The velvet room and Igor appear in 2 as well as 3 and 4) as well, but there's a greater divide between those parts of the franchise. 3 and 4 are completely part of the same universe, to the point where they have canon crossover spinoffs in the arena games and Persona Q (Though the way in which Persona Q fits into the canon is weird because of some hijinks that are pulled to make it work in the first place)

wmlk

Why are people misinforming? They're all in the same universe.

There's just more focus on P3 and P4 because they're extremely successful, and for good reason.

1 and 2 are definitely in the same universe, and 3 and 4 are also definitely in the same universe. I'm pretty sure 3 and 4 are technically in the same universe as 1 and 2 (The velvet room and Igor appear in 2 as well as 3 and 4) as well, but there's a greater divide between those parts of the franchise. 3 and 4 are completely part of the same universe, to the point where they have canon crossover spinoffs in the arena games and Persona Q (Though the way in which Persona Q fits into the canon is weird because of some hijinks that are pulled to make it work in the first place)

I get that, bro. It's come to my understanding that the persona games are related in pairs but outside of the pairs there is no relation whatsoever, not even in the universes. Is that accurate?

Why are people misinforming? They're all in the same universe.

There's just more focus on P3 and P4 because they're extremely successful, and for good reason.

wait, what? they are all taking place in the same universe?

wmlk

I get that, bro. It's come to my understanding that the persona games are related in pairs but outside of the pairs there is no relation whatsoever, not even in the universes. Is that accurate?

Yes!

As you can tell, there's some misinforming going on because a lot of fans were introduced to the series by P3 and P4.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wish when they remade Persona 2 they would've updated the battle system to be along the lines of modern Persona (without the Social Links and such, I mean the quicker pace battles), I love the characters and setting of Persona 2 (Tatsuya nails the badass look even being silent), but the actual game is...extremely dull, and I just quit when I got to that dungeon where you had to find the secret exit.

But you know, I was thinking, and it was brought up earlier in this thread, do you think the reason Persona is so successful is it appeals to a lot of people who never experienced the same sense of camaraderie in their actual school career? I never really had a close-knit group of friends like in Persona, and honestly I felt a weird since of "man, why wasn't my life like that?" when I played Persona 4. I guess it sort of appeals to a lot of people's deep desire to be the "cool kid".

I said 1 and 2 are probably in the same universe, it's just hazier. Regardless, I'd expect any game going forward to be linked to the p3 and p4 universe

Same universe, but one could say that it's with P3 onwards that the universe has established a stronger 'constant' in terms of what's changed in the Persona universe.

Post-P3, we've got Shadow Operatives established, and basically more core Persona characters continuing to be involved with the lore of the setting on a grander scale that's not necessarily part and parcel of respective new stories within the Persona mainline games.

In a way, one could say that if a future Persona game tackles Shadows again in a non-discreet manner, it would be 'awkward' if Shadow Operatives weren't involved somehow, and that would drag P3 characters into the fray.

Same universe, but one could say that it's with P3 onwards that the universe has established a stronger 'constant' in terms of what's changed in the Persona universe.

Post-P3, we've got Shadow Operatives established, and basically more core Persona characters continuing to be involved with the lore of the setting on a grander scale that's not necessarily part and parcel of respective new stories within the Persona mainline games.

In a way, one could say that if a future Persona game tackles Shadows again in a non-discreet manner, it would be 'awkward' if Shadow Operatives weren't involved somehow, and that would drag P3 characters into the fray.
Yeah, that's probably a better way to put it. There are a few inconsistencies in the universe between 1-2 and 3-4 (Though there are various explanations I've heard for them), but they're still supposed to be the same universe

Yes!

As you can tell, there's some misinforming going on because a lot of fans were introduced to the series by P3 and P4.

okay, awesome. now that this has been established, I'm guessing since all/most of these games have new casts that the only thing we'll get that will connect p5 to the previous games will be... easter eggs, and maybe like settings.

wmlk

okay, awesome. now that this has been established, I'm guessing since all/most of these games have new casts that the only thing we'll get that will connect p5 to the previous games will be... easter eggs, and maybe like settings.

Yeah, and most likely from Persona 3 and Persona 4 because:

1) They're hugely successful.
2) The head staff involved in making those games are working on Persona 5, so there's creative authority and freedom there.

It's still all in the same universe.

koutoru

At most, one or two characters might make a cameo apperance, but that's it.

Honestly, we don't know that. Just because P4 didn't have any major involvements from P3 doesn't necessarily mean future games won't. All it means is that in terms of the main cast, we're not getting a direct sequel that reprises the same characters from 3/4.

We've seen with P4Arena (it's canon) that the Atlus/Persona team has no qualms of having stories and characters from multiple games be intertwined if need be. And while they're not 'massive plot points', each game do have some loose not-entirely-closed-subplots that could potentially be tackled in future stories, if they want to.

You get to fight Hitler
uhh, what

cute avy tho
Yeah, and most likely from Persona 3 and Persona 4 because:

1) They're hugely successful.
2) The head staff involved in making the games are working on Persona 5, so there's creative authority and freedom there.

It's still all in the same universe.
I see. are they... niche games? because I honestly never saw the hype behind them until p5. i feel like the success of the Ps4 may've reinvigorated the excitement for the series, but I could be totally off.
At most, one or two characters might make a cameo apperance, but that's it.
that sounds good to me man. i'm all for more, but who doesn't love cameos?

wmlk

uhh what

cute avy tho

I see. are they... niche games because I honestly never saw the hype behind them until p5. i feel like the success of the Ps4 may've reinvigorated the excitement for the series, but I could be totally off.

that sounds good to me man.

I understand that you're a newcomer to the series, so I'll do the dirty deed and resort to GameRankings to give a good idea.

Persona 4 and Persona 4 Golden (the definitive edition) are both the highest rated JRPGs since Final Fantasy IX.

Now, I'm not saying they're the greatest games of all time, but the hype for P5 is warranted. You are right, though, it's a niche series and that all may change now.

I see. are they... niche games? because I honestly never saw the hype behind them until p5. i feel like the success of the Ps4 may've reinvigorated the excitement for the series, but I could be totally off.

Persona 3 and Persona 4 were PS2 games.

P4G was a great improved release of P4, but it's still the same story and characters we already loved... 7 years ago.

Furthermore, I would say that the Persona franchise has grown leaps and bounds over the past few years. 3/4 took what was super niche, into a highly popular 'niche', and then the animes, movies, spin-offs, etc fuelled and kept the IP constantly in some amount of spotlight, while there's a festering desire to see the next Persona.

lmao, I thought you were trolling. cool
Persona 3 and Persona 4 were PS2 games.

P4G was a great improved release of P4, but it's still the same story and characters we already loved... 7 years ago.

Furthermore, I would say that the Persona franchise has grown leaps and bounds over the past few years. 3/4 took what was super niche, into a highly popular 'niche', and then the animes, movies, spin-offs, etc fuelled and kept the IP constantly in some amount of spotlight, while there's a festering desire to see the next Persona.

well, that must have something to do with its success. also, this series is very largely exclusive to playstation yeah? did the fighting game decide to be multiplatform because every other once-Ps3 exclusive, turned multiplatform?

I understand that you're a newcomer to the series, so I'll do the dirty deed and resort to GameRankings to give a good idea.

Persona 4 and Persona 4 Golden (the definitive edition) are both the highest rated JRPGs since Final Fantasy IX.

Now, I'm not saying they're the greatest games of all time, but the hype for P5 is warranted. You are right, though, it's a niche series and that all may change now.
I do not doubt that these are quality games worthy of their praise. And even if they're niche, that's not necessarily a bad thing... it'll just stagnate the game's sales and potential popularity.

But yes. Like you suggested, I think it may chagne with p5. the souls series was niche as well, but I think with dark souls 2 it became more mainstream, and the Ps4 release of it as well as bloodborne will hopefully make it much more mainstream.

Top Bottom