• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please explain the Persona series to a n00b

IcyStorm

It's because of the "wife" talk and the high school sim that I put Persona on my "Do not play" list and "Really truly awful" list. People on NeoGAF and everywhere else take the "wife" talk to the next level and it's disturbing.

Okay sure, let the dumb discussion of the games (as opposed to serious discussion about it) determine how you feel about the games rather than their content.

AwShucks

Interesting characters, world, and story with mediocre gameplay and high production values. It's a jRPG with turn-based combat.

Also the w-word.

Mediocre gameplay? Completely disagree with that. I am a turn based RPG fan and as far as the actual battles go it's one of the better turn based systems out there.

Arcadius

Banned
Okay sure, let the dumb discussion of the games (as opposed to serious discussion about it) determine how you feel about the games rather than their content.

How often do serious discussions of the Persona series occur though? Wasn't one of the first P5 threads locked because the entire Persona population delved into "wife" talk? I mean, the dumb discussion overpowers anything that's ever serious about the games.

Also, not everyone has to love Persona, a scary concept on GAF, I know.

Mediocre gameplay? Completely disagree with that. I am a turn based RPG fan and as far as the actual battles go it's one of the better turn based systems out there.

I dunno, I found that once you were at a level you could comfortably fight enemies, the game becomes a slog. It isn't challenging or interesting enough to get through at that point. With P4 Golden, I only really liked fighting those golden hand things.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think the Persona games get progressively worse as you get further and further into the game...the beginning is always a pretty long, but hooking, tutorial that gets you immersed in the world, and the middle is solid as you begin to meet different people and learn the ins-and-outs of combat and fusion...

Eventually, though, it pretty much bottoms out as your Persona are more or less powerful enough to make everything a breeze, so you don't need to carefully fuse as much anymore (in Persona 4, for example, you can easily get Black Frost and use him pretty much to mow down through the second half of the game), and you've gotten so high in Social Links, there's not a lot left to do, so most of the end game is just skipping through each day to get to the next story-scenes.

I hope 5 fixes the end-game. Persona 4 got dull near the end, and honestly I had no urge to even finish it after the main plot was resolved and see to the end of the bonus chapter.

It's because of the "wife" talk and the high school sim that I put Persona on my "Do not play" list and "Really truly awful" list. People on NeoGAF and everywhere else take the "wife" talk to the next level and it's disturbing.

You write-off an entire series because of a silly discussion others (that you are not mandated have to participate in) have?

lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Nah, I love turn-based as well but the Persona games are average at best. The majority of battles don't end up becoming very interesting. Especially when you get really good personas fused.

Arcadius

Banned
You write-off an entire series because of a silly discussion others (that you are not mandated have to participate in) have?

lol

People write off games because of other reasons that are just as silly. Let's not kid around that the simulation aspect of Persona is an essential identity to the games.

Watch Da Birdie

As long as you realize it's a bias, there's nothing wrong with writing off a series because you find its fans distasteful, imo. I've played both P3 and P4 and enjoyed them relatively well enough, but I can understand that some people may be turned off by their 'atmosphere'.

I'm sure the people aghast by the idea that someone might stay away from Persona due to its fans probably have a series that they avoid for similar reasons.

Steel

Banned
I dunno, I found that once you were at a level you could comfortably fight enemies, the game becomes a slog. It isn't challenging or interesting enough to get through at that point. With P4 Golden, I only really liked fighting those golden hand things.

This reads: "If you overlevel then things become too easy"

Which is true of pretty much every RPG.

Arcadius

Banned
As long as you realize it's a bias, there's nothing wrong with writing off a series because you find its fans distasteful, imo. I've played both P3 and P4 and enjoyed them relatively well enough, but I can understand that some people may be turned off by their 'atmosphere'.

I'm sure the people aghast by the idea that someone might stay away from Persona due to its fans probably have a series that they avoid for similar reasons.

Thanks for understanding. Maybe one day I'll expand my JRPG tastes, but it'll be a while before I can accept that.

Do TVs play an important role of some sort in the game?
Yes, in Persona 4. (spoiler)
You use them as a portal to get into another dimension (I am not far into P4, so this is what I perceive you are going to).
TV's role is only on P4, I think(?). It seems each game has a different way to access this other dimension. For P3, there's a "Dark Hour" which is a hidden hour which certain people (such as the main character and party) that can see and investigate Tartarus.

I have been following Persona 5 news for a while and there seems to be a lot of hype surrounding this game. I just watched the new video and I really liked what I saw, albeit not understanding what is going on. I do not own a PS3 or a PS Vita so am not able to play the fighting arena game, nor P4 The Golden. I would appreciate if someone can explain to me what the game is about (I guess it is a JRPG though), the mechanics and the world it exists in.

Thanks!
I just tried so hard to type a good response on the Persona world. But cannot give you a simple, basic, concise answer. So check this wiki

Great source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Persona#Common_elements

I like the combat. Really I find the whole fusing and collecting Persona aspect to be really fun, as well as how it integrates with social links. It really does feel a lot like Pokemon in that regard.

The games just drip with style and atmosphere, the world just draws you in, and the writing gives you an emotional connection to the characters. All these disparate elements form a cohesive whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. I don't think you will find any other series that is quite like it.

And as clunky as the writing can be in some regards, there are very few games out there that are quite as mature (in terms of having adult themes and characters, not BLOOD AND TITS) as Persona 3 and Persona 4. Playing them for the first time was a revelation, especially as most JRPGs and especially anime-styled JRPGs go.

And yes, the waifu stuff is completely overblown by the fanbase. The games do not really make a big deal out of it at all and you can complete each one without any romantic involvement with any character.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Don't play games because of the fanbase, dudes.

Yes, there is.

"I'm not going to play this game I may/may not enjoy because the fans that I don't have to even interact with are creepy/insane/whatever you want to call them here."

Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

Servbot24

Banned
Imo the only thing the series is lacking is dungeon design. The random corridors tend to have pretty cheesy themes and aren't fun to explore. If they could expand dungeon design in a more appealing direction, this could be a pretty immaculate series.

Watch Da Birdie

Perhaps, but it's ultimately a harmless bias to have that doesn't hurt anyone.

A lot of people avoid mainstream FPS games in part because they're often associated with "dudebros". It might be stupid, unfair,etc., but an individual should be allowed to have that belief if they want. There's plenty of series I've avoided because their overall atmosphere, and the fans, put me off, and I don't feel guilty for admitting that.

As long as you don't actively go into threads dedicated to those games and purposefully try to start something, I don't see the issue with admitting you have a bias against a game because the way people treat it puts you off.

andymcc

Banned
Imo the only thing the series is lacking is dungeon design. The random corridors tend to have pretty cheesy themes and aren't fun to explore. If they could expand dungeon design in a more appealing direction, this could be a pretty immaculate series.

You should watch the Persona 5 trailer.

Montresor

Out of curiosity, do you find all the gameplay (including the lifesim and time management stuff) to be bad or just the combat? I'm not a fan of the combat either, but it only takes up about half of the actual gameplay and isn't a grind on easy difficulties. I can see why the lifesim elements would also be unappealing to some, though. And as you say, the presentation and music are really great!

I mentioned that the life-sim stuff was interesting but beyond that I couldn't say much - I haven't actually played the game. I've seen my brother play tons of dungeons and the dungeon-crawling looks extremely unappealing.

andymcc

Banned
I did, but nothing indicated to me the removal of random corridors.

Given the sneaking shit (with the on-screen enemies), the platforming, and the fact that they plan a heist with a clearly defined blueprinted map, i would say they are probably mostly ditching the random dungeons.

Montresor

JRPG with high school sim

the sim part:

-you high school student
-you have friend with some problem. you solvve their problem
-you try to solve the mystery or conspiracy at same time saving the world.
-dow what high school people do (exam, party, etc)

the JRPG part:

- you fight monster with monsteer
- you can buy/change/capture monster like pokemon.
- combine monster to create stronger monster.
- turn based. more focushed on buff and de buff

cool art style and music. overall pretty solid game

God, if only it was High School Sim with WRPG, instead of JRPG. I would be all over that.

Haunted

I'm interested in the dungeon crawler aspects, but the high school setting turns me off of the series. Can't stand it.

ohlawd

Given the sneaking shit (with the on-screen enemies), the platforming, and the fact that they plan a heist with a clearly defined blueprinted map, i would say they are probably mostly ditching the random dungeons.

you made me watch the trailer

what is that sneaking shit? :/ I don't mind the platforming bits tho

ohlawd

didn't you just make the stealth thread lol

i'm so sorry

I've never made a GAF thread in my life

oooooh man I hope that sneaking wall crap isn't a huge part of P5. what am I saying. it probably is since the game looks like it's hand on deck with stealing and stuff. not gonna write it off completely. still excited for the game and will wait for more news and details.

edit: oh I see the hate stealth thread. ahahah I won't post there. this is the last time I'm gonna complain about these potential stealth sections in P5.

XiaNaphryz

Too early to tell. Those sections could be similar to the P3 Full Moon sections (which had specific layouts) for example where maybe they plan for several weeks before doing the big heist, with the majority of the dungeon crawling done in more randomized areas (which doesn't necessarily make platforming impossible as some pre-made rooms or floors can have those elements in a largely randomized dungeon).

I hope it's true, but i also got more of a SMTIV vibe than Nocturne with is improved from p3 and 4 but not ideal. We'll see.

I would appreciate if someone can explain to me what the game is about (I guess it is a JRPG though), the mechanics and the world it exists in.

Thanks!

I'll try.

It's basically about an old man who spikes your drink in the school canteen, and you wake up in a place which he calls the velvet room.

Ralemont

not me

From your avatar it doesn't appear you've written off Dragon Age because of the romance crazies, though.

Seriously the dating stuff is a tiny tiny part of the Persona games, just like it is for BioWare games. Most of the social links are simply heartfelt stories about people lost in the shuffle of modern society/culture. You should give it a look.

cakely

Have you ever wanted to play an anime? And I'm not just referring to the art style I'm talking play an anime down to choosing what the character does after school and what friends he hangs out with.

This actually is a pretty accurate description of the social half of the game.

The other half is a "level up and explore dungeons" JRPG.

It's good.

I haven't liked any Persona game I've played but hype is a hell of a drug. I generally dig Japanese RPG's but I've given both P3 and P4 a chance (several actually) and the drawn-out exposition in addition to not caring for repeating, randomly-generated dungeon levels turned me off in a big way. Nothing really stood out to me as terrible or anything aside from personal preference and how much exposition there is, but I've had a damned difficult time really trying to enjoy this series.

Perhaps if this one is tighter with better game design it will allow me to get into the series just enough for me to go back and at least finish some of the others.

Soriku

That Doesn't Make Sense.gif

Wouldn't wind HELP fire and darkness!? You'd think he'd be weak to Hama.

Not to worry, Lucifer is weak to light.

8g0XC.jpg

Dude also has God's Hand.

Kssio_Aug

I will try to explain it in my way, telling what makes me enjoy P4 Golden so much! (And the reason why is the game Im looking forward the most).

1- Deep character development. Almost every single character in P4G is likeable, each in their own way; from playable characters, to non-playable ones. Also, the game trully develops them from start to the end with the Social Link System.

2- One of the best games in replay value, imo. Once you finish the game, you can start again with your stats from the last playthrough, and all your discovered and fused personas for easy access from the start. It makes the 2nd playtrhough easier, but also allows you to fight new bosses, develop new characters, complete every Social Link and see a new ending. Its such an enjoyable experience in your 1st playtrhough, as in your 2nd (and maybe even 3rd or more).

3- Simple turn-based combat mechanics, but really enjoyable. Know the enemy elemental weakness, capture the right personas, fuse them, buff your characters and have fun kicking the bosses asses.
PS.: It seems that every persona game before P4G did not allow you to control every character. That may be frustrating, but its not the case with P4G and neither may be the case with P5 (also, I believe its not the case with Persona 3 Portable).

4- Decent story with enough elements to keep your attention!

Thats basically this.

XiaNaphryz

1- Deep character development. Almost every single character in P4G is likeable, each in their own way; from playable characters, to non-playable ones. Also, the game trully develops them from start to the end with the Social Link System.

Eh, I wouldn't really say it's deep or the characters develop that well. Especially when noone in P4 really comes close to the development you see from folks like Junpei or Yukari in P3. But it's still moreso than you see in the average JRPG.

And I wouldn't say everyone is likeable, at least not for everyone. There are several people who hate certain characters with a passion, i.e. Teddie or Yosuke. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as characters can still be memorable due to that (there are people who hate Junpei or Yukari as well after all).

Ants

You've gotten a few perspectives but i kinda wanted to offer my perspective on it anyway. I love smt and persona so grain of salt i guess. I'm gonna try to offer a detailed breakdown in case you're into that sort of thing.

SMT games are ones where you fight mythological figures. In many games, enemies are named after mythological figures, but in SMT they are the actual figures themselves. It takes place in a universe where Christian God is dead, and so all these other mythological figures from religions past are trying to fill in the gigantic power gap. At the end of pretty much every game, you fight some religion's primary religious figure. One of em has you fight Yahweh, for example. It's pretty fuckin' sweet.

The series' story has honestly generally uninteresting characters, tending to put its focus more in building very interesting settings and plots. They tend to focus on the ideas of law/chaos, which are regulation vs freedom. Both are presented as undesirable, with neutrality being the true ending in pretty much every instance. Law results in a world where humanity surrenders its power to an overlord who decides everything for them, while in the Chaos route, all but the strongest die at the hands of these newly unleashed gods.

The games' combat is turn-based, and focuses on the fact that every move has an elemental alignment. Every character and enemy reduces damage from some elements, but takes extra damage from others. Usually, if you or the enemy lands an attack with an element the target is weak to, an extra action is added. The combat flow is largely about trying to squeeze in as many actions as possible, and give the enemy as few actions as possible. There is also a strong focus on using status ailments and buffing/debuffing stats, which distinguishes its fights from those of many other RPGs.

In addition to this, the game has a Pokémon-like system by which you can acquire the enemies you fight, adding them to your party. You can then combine these enemies into stronger ones. There's a focus on leveling up one god and getting the best skills it can learn, then passing it on to a higher level god with better stat spreads and resistances. It's effectively a weapon-crafting system, but the crafting is on the scale of characters.

All in all, the SMT games have a lot of elements of traditional JRPGs, but with a rock-paper-scissors element to the combat,

===

At some point, the SMT games' timeline splits and on one branch you get SMT and on another you get Persona. A simplification, but there you go.

In Persona, the focus has changed somewhat. I'll mainly be talking about 3/4 since I did not play 1/2 and am led to understand they differ signifcantly, being a lot more like SMT. In Persona games, you are a high school student. Half of the game is about living a life as an ordinary student, while the other half is about fighting monsters in a dungeon, generally secretly.

Persona generally has less interesting settings than SMT, but more fleshed-out characters. Almost every named NPC will have 11 or more events that flesh out their characters, usually focusing on their fears and the areas they need to grow in maturity in. Few video games focus on a lot of the issues the NPCs go through, and I think it's this aspect that makes the characters particularly interesting. In Persona 4, for example, there is a strong emphasis on a pair of best friends who, although they do sincerely love each other as best friends, often feel jealousy at times of each others' strengths. They end up confronting these feelings and admitting that they do feel them, but try to get over them as best they can. Usually the "good guys" in games are kind of perfect, and those sorts of feelings would make a character evil, but it's very much presented in a way that, yeah, human beings feel bad emotions sometimes, even if they are generally good. There is nuance to the characterizations of the NPCs in a way that is rare for video games and media in general.

In the "normal world" segments, you can choose how to spend your days. These vary from just hanging out with friends, to working part-time jobs, to joining after school clubs, and more. Most of these have ramifications with the dungeon crawling segments, generally making it easier in some regard. If you become good friends with a party member, their combat abilities get enhanced, for example. They'll be able to do stuff like crit against an enemy more frequently, or survive an attack that would kill them with 1 HP. That sort of thing.

There's actually a lot of systems involved in this segment, and although they're pretty intuitive, there is some depth and balance to them. To give one quick example, every character you can hang out with is represented by a Tarot Arcana. Additionally, every god you can fuse is also represented by a Tarot Arcana. By becoming better friends with Chariot, you can enhance the powers of Chariot gods. And if you have a Chariot god in your "party", your relationship grows more quickly with the Chariot character. However, you can only hold between 6 and 12 gods in your party at any given time, and some of the most powerful ones are in Arcana that don't actually quicken this aspect of the game. So there is a balancing act in determining whether you want to make the combat easier with stronger gods or you want to focus on your friendships and take potentially weaker gods to make your relationships grow faster. That's just one system but there's several more that add nuance to the relationship system. It helps to add to the balancing act that the games hinge on, where you also generally want to try to go into dungeons as infrequently as possible, so as to have more time to make friends and junk.

Persona retains a large number of systems from SMT, but generally it reduces the number of elements and makes fights easier to solve via overlevelling than they would be in SMT, where overlevelling is generally not very useful at all. The game is just easier overall. Another difference is that SMT doesn't have a huuuuge amount of straight up dungeon crawling, which Persona's dungeons are entirely just floor after floor after floor.

Also noteworth is that both series have some of the best music in games, and an insane variety, ranging from rock/metal to hip-hop to pop (these are all overworld themes), and the Persona series has some of the best UI design I've ever seen in a game.

Whew. That was really long-winded

KePoW

Banned
Is the Persona series always set in high-school?

That's the one thing I cannot connect with whatsoever and turns me off. I'm 37 and have no interest in that type of setting

XiaNaphryz

Is the Persona series always set in high-school?

That's the one thing I cannot connect with whatsoever and turns me off. I'm 37 and have no interest in that type of setting

Part of Persona 2 deals with characters from the first game after they've moved on from high school, but a good portion of the game still deals with high school students.

All I hear is "wah wah."

Oh noes, not everyone likes the games I like!

Patryn

Great characters, world, story.

The battles are fun and turn-based

The dungeons (until 4) were randomly generated (some like, some don't). In 5 they don't seem random though.

There's P3 and/or P4 available to like, any system today, go play one of them (they are stand-alone games, you don't have to start from the first).

Less than half of the Persona series has randomly-generated dungeons. Only 3 and 4.

Persona 1, Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment all had predesigned dungeons.

A more appropriate thing to say is that modern Persona games have tended towards random dungeons.

KePoW

Banned
Part of Persona 2 deals with characters from the first game after they've moved on to high school, but a good portion of the game still deals with high school students.

Ok thank you for the straightforward honest answer. It's just probably not a series for me then

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
weeaboos and waifus (husbandos in a few cases)

Seriously though, it's like a JRPG with lots of dungeon grind coupled with visual novel + dating mechanics similar in design philosophy to Bioware.
Persona 3+4 are Persona games where you go to school, do something after school and go to dungeons at the end of the day (or do something with friends again). Doing something with your social links (friend circle, colleagues etc.) will strengthen their bonds. With these bonds you are able to fuse Persona and use them in battle. Think Pokemon, just that there are 4 people in battle where one person (the main character) is able to change between different persona all the time, all the other characters are stuck to their main persona and their evolutions).
That... honestly sounds absolutely horrible on all counts. Plus from what I hear of the music (jpop music during battles?! if there's a way to make a game a more awful and irritating experience, I can't think of any) is a huge, huge turn-off.

Lagamorph

Start at 4.
1 and 2 really haven't aged particularly well and are nothing like the modern ones.

3 is good, but if you don't like sad/bittersweet endings then give it a miss. 4 improves on it in literally every way.

wmlk

That... honestly sounds absolutely horrible on all counts. Plus from what I hear of the music (jpop music during battles?! if there's a way to make a game a more awful and irritating experience, I can't think of any) is a huge, huge turn-off.

Clearly it's working all of a sudden. I used to think the same.

Lunar15

The ironic thing is how small of a portion this is in the games... it's almost an afterthought and you can even completely ignore it. Every fanbase has obnoxious fans... go on the Bioware forums and you'll see the same kind of discussion. It's a symptom of every single game with multiple party members.

But yeah, okay, being closed minded is cool too.

Anyway, to the OP: Persona is the combination of two things I'm not super fond of: Dungeon Crawling and Slice of Life Anime. Despite this, it became one of my favorite series of all time because it's just so well done. You heard that right: despite being two things I dislike, the combination resulted in something satisfying.

No, it's not for everyone, though. However, if you really are curious enough to ask, why not try it out?

Eh, I wouldn't really say it's deep or the characters develop that well. Especially when noone in P4 really comes close to the development you see from folks like Junpei or Yukari in P3. But it's still moreso than you see in the average JRPG.

And I wouldn't say everyone is likeable, at least not for everyone. There are several people who hate certain characters with a passion, i.e. Teddie or Yosuke. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as characters can still be memorable due to that (there are people who hate Junpei or Yukari as well after all).
Yup!
Aw man, the music permates everything and it's amazing. Since P3 they've had a pretty stylized soundtrack, note that P4 is more JPOP and P3 has more electronica and rap. P5 is looking to be jazz-y.

The same guy composed SMT Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1+2, and Raidou 1+2. They're all fantastic, and they all are pretty different in terms of genre.

Top Bottom