• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please Stop Apologizing by Bill Maher (NYT Editorial)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Mr. De Niro was speaking at a fund-raiser with the first lady, Michelle Obama. Here’s the joke: “Callista Gingrich. Karen Santorum. Ann Romney. Now do you really think our country is ready for a white first lady?”
Wait wait wait

People are getting offended by THIS?!

But those situations would engender warranted outrage ... which is not what he's taking about.

You're taking that point out of context.

No, it's explicitly what he's talking about. He doesn't draw a line between "warranted" outrage or not. He explicitly said the Sandra Fluke comments shouldn't have provoked the outrage it did (in fact, that's what's prompting this editorial).

It's easy to jump on the bandwagon of "I wanna say whatever I want and haters be damned" but I don't think anyone here realizes that taking his argument to the logical conclusion means never criticizing anything racist or sexist, because one person's legitimate complaint against overt bigotry is another person's "You're just manufacturing outrage." It's easy--and juvenile--in political and online discourse to dismiss your opponents as being too easily offended/hysterical/outraged/emotional without providing any sort of counter-argument (you see this in pretty much all women's rights/sexism debates). A lot of the posts in this thread sound exactly like what conservative bloggers and Fox commentators say everytime a Republican says something undeniably racist/sexist.

You think people should stop criticizing the Fred Phelps clan?

Please Stop Apologizing by Straight White Male

P.S. Sorry in advance for offending straight white males

No shit.

We need to learn to coexist, and it’s actually pretty easy to do. For example, I find Rush Limbaugh obnoxious, but I’ve been able to coexist comfortably with him for 20 years by using this simple method: I never listen to his program. The only time I hear him is when I’m at a stoplight next to a pickup truck.

So no one should have been outraged at Rush going on air and calling Fluke a slut for 3 straight days when she testified about birth control because "get a thicker skin" or "don't listen to his program." Fuck Maher.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The phony OUTRAGE!!1! that both teams have used for point scoring has been absolutely ridiculous recently. Blaming, counter-blaming, hand-wringing, double standards, and biased justifications all over the damn place. The effect it has had on freedom of expression is terrible.

I prefer Maher's world where people are free to say offensive shit if they want to (and get criticized for it, if others want to) without the whole witch hunt aspect.

So no one should have been outraged at Rush going on air and calling Fluke a slut for 3 straight days when she testified about birth control because "get a thicker skin" or "don't listen to his program." Fuck Maher.

I don't think he's saying "no one should be outraged".

I really don't get how they are funny. People that always find them funny remind me of infants that always giggle whenever keys are jiggled in front of them.

Though considering they aren't infants maybe a more appropriate comparison would be a dog? Like... they are trained to laugh at the mere mention of Canada in a jokey context. Like Pavlov's dog.

Wot you talkin' aboot?

PlayDat

Wait wait wait

I'm about 99% certain that no one's upset by that. Gingrich is just trying to draw some negative attention toward Obama.

Also I'm not really sure I can get behind Maher on this one. Some of the examples given in the article may seem minor, but who am I to tell someone else what they can and can't be upset about. It's really easy to tell a group of people to "just get over it" when you don't have some type of personal connection to whatever the topic of controversy is. I see it all the time here on Gaf and it gets annoying.

As for the people making the apologies, it is true that they're usually being disingenuous, but at least it forces them to think twice when it comes to spreading their more hateful messages.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wait wait wait

Mr. De Niro was speaking at a fund-raiser with the first lady, Hillary Clinton. Here’s the joke: “Michelle Obama. Jacqueline Brown. Gloria Cain. Now do you really think our country is ready for a black first lady?”

How about now?

DeNiro made a joke deriding a group of people based on their skin color. It's a common thing to take offense at.

How about now?

DeNiro made a joke deriding a group of people based on their skin color. It's a common thing to take offense at.

He wasn't deriding a group of people based on their skin color, he was deriding a group of people who base opinion on the skin color of others.

good god, man.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Except.. that wasn't the point of the joke..

The point of a lot of "racial" humor is to be satirical of racism...

He wasn't deriding a group of people based on their skin color, he was deriding a group of people who base opinion on the skin color of others.

good god, man.

Except that's a completely different joke? Like the exact opposite joke? I... jesus.

Edit: Taken care of I see, haha.

*whoosh*

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
qCSjF.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It didn't go over my head at all. You reversed the races.. which changed more than just the races.. since no-one has ever questioned having a white first lady your version of the joke loses the satirical meaning.

No shit.

But do you expect dimwitted oversensitive humorless mouthbreathers to make that distinction? To some people, all they're gonna see is a joke that insinuates a negative connotation based on skin color. Especially when they didn't hear it live, and only read the text on the internet.

No shit.

But do you expect dimwitted oversensitive humorless mouthbreathers to make that distinction? To some people, all they're gonna see is a joke that insinuates a negative connotation based on skin color. Especially when they didn't hear it live, and only read the text on the internet.

Well it was difficult to guess what your point was with the post.

You appeared to be one of the mouthbreathers... my bad.

The fake outrage makes me roll my eyes a lot on here. At least I'm hoping it's fake and these people don't have the thinnest skin on earth.

But it's a big problem I have with the rest of the country too. Everyone's such a whiny bitch now about every little thing. It's sad really.

Yep. It's like most of GAF has never heard a comedian in their lives.

No shit.

it was pretty much impossible to tell if you were trying to give an example of how the offended perceives the original joke or if you actually thought the modified form represented the original joke in another manner.

With this being the internet, kind of hard without some sort of clue.

I thought the context would have been clear, considering what I had just written 2 posts prior to that.

Pft, like anyone pays attention to that!

squidyj

I like Mittzkrieg, I want to buy Axelrod a drink now that I learned about this.

I'm a straight white male and personally I'm offended at the insinuation, your apology notwithstanding.

I thought the context would have been clear, considering what I had just written 2 posts prior to that.

You wrote that people should be allowed to say offensive shit without a witch hunt...

I don't see how that relates to me somehow guessing you understood that DeNiro's comment actually isn't offensive in any way.

(not mad or anything.. this is a derail.. but really, even having read your previous post I had no clue you were being satirical)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You wrote that people shouldn't be outraged by really offensive things..

That's not what I said.

I don't see how that relates to me somehow guessing you understood that DeNiro's comment actually isn't offensive in any way.
The overall point of my post was that I agree with Maher's sentiment. Therefore, it makes sense that I would also agree with him that the original De Niro joke is also inoffensive to me.

abusori

It's nice to see that only minorities and females are allowed to have a say.
But for what it's worth, I'm not white, and I quite agree with Maher.

I hope one day we'll all look back and laugh at this stupid PC bullshit. I hope.

rpmurphy

Being offended != giving out criticism. However, it is far too unfortunate today that most of the time, the vocal people rush to the former -- personal bashing, calling for boycott, demanding apology, and even giving out threats. If you can't even control your own self of these outbursts, should you really be outraged at other people who themselves act in the same outrageous ways?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom