• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PnP RPGs OT || Come play the REAL RPGs

Keasar

Reaper Minatures Bones
Not strictly RPG related, but there are a bunch of value miniature bundle options here that you may want to bring your RPG to life. The 'Vampire' tier has incredible value, currently sitting at 137 miniatures for $100 with more likely to come. Pay extra for your choice of some bigger miniatures or some bonus packs. Keep your eye on this one; it is the best planned Kickstarter project I have ever seen.
So goddamn tempting, but I dont wanna put too much money on anymore RPG stuff then I have too. Next things I consider getting is the Rise of the Runelords campaign for Pathfinder and its....those small paper figures that are so handy. And then the Numenera RPG.

So today FFG announced their new Star Wars RPG: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=218&enmi=Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

Really not liking this at all, seeing as they are copying the format of releases they have used for their 40K RPGs, with separate but compatible game lines... yea not crazy about it as I feel it's a huge waste of resources when it could be one unified game instead of putting out 3 separate core rulebooks. And I just in general have not liked any of their 40k rpg work, but did enjoy their Warhammer Fantasy line, but all their games have had spotty support as they really stretch the IP's content out amongst too many supplements while giving us a ton of fluff material we don't really need for such established IP.

And really they are selling right now the Beta test to people? And apparently it does not include getting the official release once the beta is over, you are just actually paying for a beta test book.... wtf?

Well I'm keeping my collection of the complete Star Wars Saga Edition, it truly was a great rule system and thankfully it covers pretty much everything rulewise.

FFG does not have a good track-record with PnP RPGs in my opinion. Their handling of this "beta" is not surprising and kind of crappy. It's way, way overpriced for a softcover beta version.

FFG does not have a good track-record with PnP RPGs in my opinion. Their handling of this "beta" is not surprising and kind of crappy. It's way, way overpriced for a softcover beta version.

And shipping is outrageous. They should make it a cheap pdf at best.

And the whole setup they are doing is so limited, when the other SW rpg's understood how vast the universe is with all the different timeline settings. Let me guess, they are going to make a separate game line for the Old Republic era too? Clone Wars? Ugh.

Danoss

I thought Dark Heresy was pretty cool, from what I've read of it, it's essentially Cthulhu in space. But FFG didn't really do anything to earn credit for that, Black Industries made it.

Charging for a beta/playtest copy is not cool at all (even though it says only the art and certain thematic material, why sell it early without that?). I don't understand their thinking. If anything, they should follow what Pelgrane Press has done with 13th Age; you pre-order it and you get a copy of the playtest rules in PDF each time they're updated. You send playtest feedback to them, of course it is taken on board and you get the final edition sent to you when it's complete.

On 13th Age, people were annoyed that the Druid, Monk and Choas Shaman classes, as well as multiclassing, were moved to the expansion book. They said the reasoning was that it was going to take far too long to test and implement them all. What they have now done is go ahead with that in the expansion book, but those who have pre-ordered the 13th Age corebook will now receive the Druid, Monk, Chaos Shaman and multiclassing chapters as a PDF, free of charge, when they're complete.

Now that is how you treat customers.

Dram

Do they really have the resources to support all their game lines? It just seems like they're coming out with new products all the time.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure FFG have ever actually released a book in their 40k lines on schedule. At this point I'm not sure they even have a schedule.

Riposte

Can someone link me to the best breakdown of a DDNext/5e? I'm not talking about just a summary, but something that isn't scattered brained about what this next edition is going to be like.

Danoss

Can someone link me to the best breakdown of a DDNext/5e? I'm not talking about just a summary, but something that isn't scattered brained about what this next edition is going to be like.

It's essentially an attempt to reunite the fans of 3.5 and 4th edition under the one umbrella, at least that's my understanding. They plan to have different rules to choose from, depending on the flavour of D&D you prefer. It'd honestly be hard to find info about it that isn't scatter-brained, because at the moment D&D Next/5e is in a rather scatter-brained and unwieldy state. In a nutshell, they want it to "feel" like D&D, whatever the hell that means.

I saw part of their Gen Con keynote and it was said by Mike Mearls that it is about 2 years away. A lot can change in that time, especially since they want it to be everything to everybody. Here's a link to the keynote if you want to watch it.

If you want, you can listen to a podcast Mike Mearls of WotC did with some of the PA/PvP guys, discussing various aspects of the next edition. Here's Part 1 and Part 2 that has been released of the 4 part series. I haven't listened to either of them, because I'm not that fussed about it, and by the looks of it in the official photo for the podcast (shown below), neither are they.

tEjn4.jpg

I'm leaning towards 13th Age for a modern take on this style of game. It's by the lead designer of D&D 3rd edtion and the lead designer of 4th edition; and reading over the latest revision, they've got the right idea. If you want to have a look at what an update of D&D should look like, it's this. Seriously.

Dungeon World also seems brilliant, though it's not d20 based, but more story oriented and built using the system from an indie game (Apocalypse World). I've read some short actual plays of it and to say I was thoroughly impressed would be an understatement. I mentioned earlier in the thread being given a pre-release copy after emailing the designers and asking about it.

Whilst this is not what you asked for, it's a nudge in the right direction, with some personal opinions weaved in there.

On a different topic, I mentioned the Horror on the Orient Express to a friend of mine today before we sat down to game. I was part way through telling him about it when he just walked off. He headed straight for the PC, found the Kickstarter and pledged at the $90 level. He's the one who already owns the original boxed set for it, but he loves it so much he's bought it a second time. That's rad.

Riposte

2 years away, huh? That's kind of crazy. I assume 4e sells have slowed down at this point. I would have imagine Hasbro would not be cool with this.

Thanks for the details (looking for specifics though, I hope I can find it in the links).

Danoss

2 years away, huh? That's kind of crazy.

Waits like this are the norm, though this is WotC we're talking about, where this is their full-time job. Most other RPG designers make their games in their spare time because the hobby isn't popular enough to pay the bills.

Consider yourself lucky you're not a fan of what Chaosium puts out, unless you are, then... *group hug*

I typed a bunch more in regards to this and the rest of your post, but then I deleted it. Probably because it may have been preachy and opinionated, and it's also late here and I'm tired.

first time in this thread. Glad to see it exists.

What do you guys think of the Dungeons and Dragons Starter set? The new reprint 4e red box for a complete noob (Never played a single tabletop RPG) ??

Its like 13 dollars on Amazon right now.

For starter sets for a new player, I think the best on the market is the Pathfinder starter box. Great self contained way to try your first RPG that will also be a spring board to keep on going in Pathfinder or jump into d&d later down the line.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1601253729/?tag=neogaf0e-20

One of the best produced starter sets for a RPG in a long while, great value and excellent way to teach new players to get into rpgs. Unlike D&D which is getting new edition and loves to come out with revisions, Pathfinder rules are pretty much locked in

For starter sets for a new player, I think the best on the market is the Pathfinder starter box. Great self contained way to try your first RPG that will also be a spring board to keep on going in Pathfinder or jump into d&d later down the line.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1601253729/?tag=neogaf0e-20

One of the best produced starter sets for a RPG in a long while, great value and excellent way to teach new players to get into rpgs. Unlike D&D which is getting new edition and loves to come out with revisions, Pathfinder rules are pretty much locked in

oh wow that does look nice.

edit: this is exactly what I was looking for. I think I will start with pathfinder and see if my group enjoys it. If so we can keep playing it and then try the new 5e when it releases.

Anyone following the D&D Next playtest? Apparently they released the Warlock and Sorcerer previews. Personally, I enjoyed the first batch of playtest materials they released. Walked away from it with a much better opinion of it than I did with 4e. Anxious to try out this next batch.

well I think I changed my mind and will go with the Pathfinder: Beginner Box This is my first foray into tabletop role playing. I have always been super curious but never actually tried it out.

wish me luck.

anything I should know??

ps. I will be playing with my board game group and we are all going to be new at this.

Suairyu

Banned
Pathfinder beginner box:

Does it require 4 players or does it scale to less? I've potentially got two friends who want to try this tabletop roleplaying thing.

Keasar

well I think I changed my mind and will go with the Pathfinder: Beginner Box This is my first foray into tabletop role playing. I have always been super curious but never actually tried it out.

wish me luck.

anything I should know??

ps. I will be playing with my board game group and we are all going to be new at this.

Well, from my experience it doesnt hurt to read ahead and do the solo adventure in the players book and then read up some on the adventure in the dungeon masters book if you plan on being just that. It should give you a hang on the basic rules of the game. Though its all so easy and thoroughly explained during the adventure you can just hand out the prepared characters that are included and start going immediatly. There is a step-by-step sheet included that goes through what you need to do in order to play in the shortest amount of time.

Pathfinder beginner box:

Does it require 4 players or does it scale to less? I've potentially got two friends who want to try this tabletop roleplaying thing.

If you go with the adventure right out of the box it probably needs 4 players, otherwise you may have to tweak the adventure a bit. Not sure.

Do they really have the resources to support all their game lines? It just seems like they're coming out with new products all the time.

Well they put out tons of product, they are pretty huge but because of the sheer amount of products they have, they are constantly plagued by delays as their production capabilities with their manufacturing partners is limited. Games often go long time without reprints simply because their queue is full of new products, so you might have to wait for specific board game or expansion a year or two before it gets back in stock. They usually are better with their good selling products though who obviously get priority, but FFG's delays often are due to the constant shifting of such a huge array of products.

The Star Wars RPG from what people have said sounds like it's heavily influenced by the Warhammer Fantasy system which I actually really liked, so that will be interesting to see. Though still they are making a mistake to me by having themed releases for Star Wars. First series in 2013 will be focused on Fringe characters. 2014 is when they plan on covering the OT Rebellion period, and 2015 is being left for the Force users? All other SW games have let you build pretty much any type of character with flexible timelines. Going to be several years before players can make Jedi/Force users in a star wars rpg? Sounds like a bad idea.

Just an update!

I picked up the Pathfinder Beginner box last night and spent 3 hours reading everything I could and playing the solo adventure. WOW

Remember this is my first experience with any tabletop role playing game but I am already hooked and I can't wait to start the adventure in the box with my wife, sister and her husband.

thanks for the recommendation BattleMonkey

Just an update!

I picked up the Pathfinder Beginner box last night and spent 3 hours reading everything I could and playing the solo adventure. WOW

Remember this is my first experience with any tabletop role playing game but I am already hooked and I can't wait to start the adventure in the box with my wife, sister and her husband.

thanks for the recommendation BattleMonkey

Check out this playlist. Dawnforgedcast runs through the entire Pathfinder concepts with his GF, who is new to RPGs.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4A1E3A8F7AB89CD5&feature=plcp

The Beginner Box is my fave RPG release ever.

0one Games has put out two adventures in the style of the Beginner Box, with more coming.

http://bit.ly/SjEhAI

01GMABP01E-B_500.jpeg

Paizo also put out an amazing mini set of the 4 starter characters.

WZKPaintedPreview_500.jpeg

List price is $12.99 and the detail for prepainted figs is great.

http://paizo.com/products/btpy8l52/discuss?Pathfinder-Beginner-Box-Heroes-Miniatures-Set

Check out this playlist. Dawnforgedcast runs through the entire Pathfinder concepts with his GF, who is new to RPGs.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4A1E3A8F7AB89CD5&feature=plcp

The Beginner Box is my fave RPG release ever.

0one Games has put out two adventures in the style of the Beginner Box, with more coming.

http://bit.ly/SjEhAI

01GMABP01E-B_500.jpeg

Paizo also put out an amazing mini set of the 4 starter characters.

WZKPaintedPreview_500.jpeg

List price is $12.99 and the detail for prepainted figs is great.

http://paizo.com/products/btpy8l52/discuss?Pathfinder-Beginner-Box-Heroes-Miniatures-Set

thanks for all this info! you are awesome.

Sullen

I really hope they don't fuck up Exalted 3E. It is one of my favorite games of all time. I am cautiously excited though because they mentioned Holden will be involved and the ink monkey's line of work was some of the best material ever put down for Exalted.

On the other hand, my wallet is already crying from the idea of having to buy a third line of books.

dude

dude
I really hope they don't fuck up Exalted 3E. It is one of my favorite games of all time. I am cautiously excited though because they mentioned Holden will be involved and the ink monkey's line of work was some of the best material ever put down for Exalted.

On the other hand, my wallet is already crying from the idea of having to buy a third line of books.

Man, that switch to 2e almost made me cry, so many books - useless now. And still, I can't wait for 3E :)

Apparently not a single new thing for Warhammer Fantasy RPG from FFG at Gencon, seems like they are tossing the game under a bus sadly, I liked the unique setup it had. Assume most if any support is going to be in these cheap little print on demand card sets they have started doing, adding new abilities/spells to the game a few cards at a time.

thanks for all this info! you are awesome.

Hey no worries. I love the game and the community behind it. The forums over at Paizo.com are über helpful.

Also since the are open source, or follow the Open Gaming Licence, Paizo puts up all the rules online for free, instead of behind a pay wall like some companies. You can search the whole rules base at http://www.d20pfsrd.com/.

Hugely helpful.

Apparently not a single new thing for Warhammer Fantasy RPG from FFG at Gencon, seems like they are tossing the game under a bus sadly, I liked the unique setup it had. Assume most if any support is going to be in these cheap little print on demand card sets they have started doing, adding new abilities/spells to the game a few cards at a time.

This makes me sad :(

I GM that game exclusively. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0NsScPhoms&feature=relmfu

Can't wait for tomorrow evening. My regular gaming group all took a break for Ramadan and now we are all getting back together for the big finale of our campaign. It has been a long time coming, I'm stoked!

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
New season of D&D Encounters starts today.

MORE DROW! Fuck, I'm getting sick of drows and spiders.

New season of D&D Encounters starts today.

MORE DROW! Fuck, I'm getting sick of drows and spiders.

PathfinderSocietyLogo_360.jpeg

Methinks its time to start up Pathfinder Society play at your store?

http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety

Not themed and you get to choose which modules to play out of tons available. Plus characters continue on through each season.

Here's a link so you can find your Chicago coordinator.

I just started play myself last week and do far the players are more committed I think because of the continuing Living nature of the campaign.

Playing in the burbs, but I think Dice Dojo has regular play if you wanted to drop in and check it out. Awesome support on the Paizo forums for it as well.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

Not themed and you get to choose which modules to play out of tons available. Plus characters continue on through each season.

I just started play myself last week and do far the players are more committed I think because of the continuing Living nature of the campaign.

Playing in the burbs, but I think Dice Dojo has regular play if you wanted to drop in and check it out. Awesome support on the Paizo forums for it as well.

I would, but Wednesday is my only free night to play, and I DM here. I don't want to leave them down a DM.

Am I seeing this correct?? NOTHING in Utah?

:(

Played my first real game of Pathfinder (first role playing game ever) with my wife, sister and brother in law last night.

WOW

What an amazing time! I was the GM and had read the black fang adventure path from the beginner box a few times so I knew how to run it. At first my wife felt kind of weird about the entire thing but my sister was full on into it as soon as I asked them to introduce themselves. At first they weren't exactly sure how everything was supposed to work but I kept them on track and let them explore and try things however they wanted, soon enough they were rolling through rooms doing perception checks, disarming traps and killing monsters. The group would scream in terror as a spider would pop out or a fire trap was sprung on them. As a GM I was having a blast! I had to wing a few things here and there and make up DC in my head for them to roll against but it all worked smoothly and they had no idea it was not part of book.

I am being 100% honest when I say this is probably the most fun I have had playing a game in my life. Everyone was having a blast the entire time. I have always wanted to try dungeons and dragons or pnp games but to my own ignorance I avoided them because I thought it was "nerdy" or complicated.

you guys are having more fun then I could have ever imagined.

I can't wait to finish a few more of the beginner box adventures I can find and move onto the core rule book.

this gaming group is hooked!

edit: I am not 100% comfortable creating my own encounters and campaigns. I really like taking them into a pre-made adventure and running it. Would you guys recommend the rise of the runelords adventure path after we are more comfortable with the core rules?

The Reaper Bones kickstarter mentioned upthread is getting insane...

Now sits at well over 200 minis for $100 (Vampire) as well as the Sophie metal mini that can be traded in for $25 towards more minis. I'll probably never get around to painting them all but I simply could not resist.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see until just now that two posts up was a link (I searched on Reaper and it's not visible in the text) as well as the one from a while ago.

I'm pretty sure they are all available later (for more). All except the metal Sophie on a motorcycle that I think is exclusive to the kickstarter.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
edit: I am not 100% comfortable creating my own encounters and campaigns. I really like taking them into a pre-made adventure and running it. Would you guys recommend the rise of the runelords adventure path after we are more comfortable with the core rules?

I think if you get the core rules you should start with a couple standalone pathfinder modules before taking on an adventure path.
Crypt of the Everflame is a great 1st level Module and Carrion Hill is awesome for 5th..The nice thing with just standalone modules is they aren't to overwhelming on tieing everything together. If you run a couple stand alones smoothly then look at the adventure paths.
A full adventure path could take years to finish so it can be overwhelming to new groups.

That said if the idea of a well conceived story, that will see the players from 1st thru 15th.. and has plot hooks at 1st level that connect to 15th, excite you to run..go for it :)

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I'm pretty sure they are all available later (for more). All except the metal Sophie on a motorcycle that I think is exclusive to the kickstarter.

alot of them are avail now in other series..like the pathfinder ones(many are metal) I'm not sure if they are going to offer those ones as plastic "bones" ones later or not..

someone priced it all out if you bought everything that exists in the vampire package(buying the metal versions) it would cost over 1k...
even if they release them all as plastic ..most of the bones ones are 2.20 ish each or 3 for 5.50ish
the vampire pledge works out to less then .50cents each..its stunning

alot of them are avail now in other series..like the pathfinder ones(many are metal) I'm not sure if they are going to offer those ones as plastic "bones" ones later or not..

someone priced it all out if you bought everything that exists in the vampire package(buying the metal versions) it would cost over 1k...
even if they release them all as plastic ..most of the bones ones are 2.20 ish each or 3 for 5.50ish
the vampire pledge works out to less then .50cents each..its stunning

I'm sure Reaper has done the math, but it makes me nervous. As my 12 year old son said after I described the amazing value and how many people were jumping on it:

"Wait for it... wait for it... Bankrupt."

OMG.. that kickstarter is calling my name. I could be set for a long long time with those minis.

I think if you get the core rules you should start with a couple standalone pathfinder modules before taking on an adventure path.
Crypt of the Everflame is a great 1st level Module and Carrion Hill is awesome for 5th..The nice thing with just standalone modules is they aren't to overwhelming on tieing everything together. If you run a couple stand alones smoothly then look at the adventure paths.
A full adventure path could take years to finish so it can be overwhelming to new groups.

That said if the idea of a well conceived story, that will see the players from 1st thru 15th.. and has plot hooks at 1st level that connect to 15th, excite you to run..go for it :)

Thanks for the info man, sounds like a good idea.

Zaptruder

Banned
I wonder how long that pieces of artwork will get.

Probably not a whole lot longer given how little time there is left.

I'm so damn tempted to buy in, even though I've got no goddamn reason to, other than the fact I like minatures.

I can paint well as well... but I'm slow at it, so these minis would for the most part be gathering dust.

But jesus shit if that isn't the best value set of miniatures I've ever seen

Top Bottom