• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PodcastGAF |OT|

I didn't know we had a postcast thread. This is great!

While I've been listening to two or three podcasts for a long time, I've gotten serious with podcasts about a year go. I'm using my Nexus 5 and iPad to listen to them, so Pocket Casts is really the perfect app for that, as it syncs subscriptions and progress. I only with it would sync the playlist as well, but that might be coming later.

Right now I have 30 subscriptions running, but only a few of them are on auto-download and the others are either new or I listen to the episodes based on the topics that are being discussed. Most of the podcasts I listen to and love have already been mentioned in the great OP or in the thread (99% Invisible, Love + Radio, Serial, Daily Tech News Show/DTNS).

But there are still some other podcasts I love and would definitely recommend.

We Hate Movies
Started listening to How Did This Get Made and We Hate Movies, and I'm liking both, but I'm liking We Hate Movies more.

newjeruse

I'm really enjoying I Was There Too. It's Matt Gourley's podcast where he interviews bit actors in huge movies. Recommended.

Brakke

Banned
I'm sure I've recommended both of these before but it's topical right now. John Dickerson is hosting the Democratic debate on CBS right now. He makes a *great* pod about presidential campaign history and he's on a good pod about current events:

John Dickerson is cool and thoughtful. If anyone's interested, he does two podcasts on Slate:

Slate's Whistlestop, in which he goes through Big Stories in US Preisdential campaign history. I love this pod: https://overcast.fm/+EPM5j6EvM

Slate's Political Gabfest, round table discussion of current events and politics. He's great on this, he's just simply always right: https://overcast.fm/+H7nw_2k

The Comedy Button is just pure 100% fun. I think I've laughed out loud, something I rarely do, every episode.

Did they finally move on from the repeated callback jokes to things like "Mah Wife!" and "Yesh, I have question?"

I can handle that in small doses, but for awhile it seemed like they made those jokes multiple times every episode. I just . . . couldn't handle it. But I enjoyed them a lot before they finally broke me.

newjeruse

PocketCast user here. Does anyone know why some podcasts always start from the beginning after being paused for a period with this app? The Giant Bombcast, for instance, always picks up right where I left off. But Podcast Beyond always goes back to the beginning, even if I pause it for a second.

Is it a preference the person publishing the podcast has to check off? I just don't get why it always happens with the same podcasts.

Ultima_5

Did they finally move on from the repeated callback jokes to things like "Mah Wife!" and "Yesh, I have question?"

I can handle that in small doses, but for awhile it seemed like they made those jokes multiple times every episode. I just . . . couldn't handle it. But I enjoyed them a lot before they finally broke me.

I remember I stopped when they made fun of some guy who committed suicide by jumping on train or subway tracks. This was years ago though

I remember I stopped when they made fun of some guy who committed suicide by jumping on train or subway tracks. This was years ago though

I remember that episode--Ryan couldn't make it because the guy jumped in front of his train, I believe. I think they offered some kind of apology in a following episode, but I don't remember if it was actually genuine or what--I seem to remember it being something along the lines of "we were so disconnected from the event that it seemed absurd."

Not really the best of apologies, if my memory is good.

Ultima_5

I remember that episode--Ryan couldn't make it because the guy jumped in front of his train, I believe. I think they offered some kind of apology in a following episode, but I don't remember if it was actually genuine or what--I seem to remember it being something along the lines of "we were so disconnected from the event that it seemed absurd."

Not really the best of apologies, if my memory is good.
That was def the episode. Fuck those guys

Pacific North West Stories and Minnow Beats Whale (The Black Tapes, Tanis) are doing a true-crime docu-drama that should come out this year.

lunchtoast

Started listening to Gilbert Gottfried's podcast backlog. He gets a few guests I have not seen on other comedian's podcasts like Gary Busey or Chevy Chase.

Also enjoyed Wooden Overcoats, hoping there's another season.

RiamuBME

Hey guys!

A few months ago I posted a link to the first episode of my new podcast Final Games.

Well, unfortunately I had to immediately go on hiatus as I was about to move to Japan, which was crazy in itself. Luckily I am all sorted and settled here now so I thought it would be possible to continue on with making episodes and have a continual schedule. There was a few of you on here who actually really enjoyed the first episode and had some really nice comments :)

I am happy to say that I just released a second episode! I was fortunate enough to get Simon Miller from Videogamer,com to join me to talk about his top 8 games he'd choose to play for the rest of his life on a deserted island.

I would absolutely love for some feedback and for you guys to check it out and most of all enjoy it! I know many people on GAF are fans of Videogamer's work and especially Simon's "The Miller Report". Listening to him talk about his favourite game's passionately is super interesting.

I am really hoping to make this a regular thing with a more consistent schedule now I have a list of people I would to have has guests and I am currently arranging the third episode now, so please be excited! :D

You can listen to the episode here on Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/finalgamespodcast/final-games-episode-02-simon-miller

You can also download it on iTunes, just search for "Final Games".

vmAQHZm.png

Started listening to The Dollop yesterday and it's so good. It's like the perfect counterbalance to Hardcore History. HH is all serious, gripping stories about history, while Dollop is just hilarious stories about history

lunchtoast

Started listening Will Sasso's 10 minute podcast. Pretty funny. Special guests include Steven Seagal and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

ueRO3On.jpg

RiamuBME

Hey guys!

A new episode of Final Games went live!

This time I got to speak with David D' Angelo from Yacht Club Games, he is the co-creator and lead programmer on Shovel Knight!

The episode turned out great and it is really interesting to listen to David talk about the games that inspired him and what games were influential towards the Shovel Knight development. He is really passionate about the games of his childhood and it was great to talk to him, please check it out if you enjoyed Shovel Knight and especially if you enjoy game development stories.

You can listen to it here:

https://soundcloud.com/finalgamespo...-david-dangelo-yacht-club-games-shovel-knight

or if you listen to podcasts on iTunes you can find it here:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/final-games/id1023236966

I'd love to hear what you guys think of the podcast so far, some of the guests I have lined up to appear on the show in the next few weeks is really exciting and I would love to get your feedback on what to improve or if you are enjoying it.

Thanks!

yub7Fmi.png

GRW810

Are there any good podcasts where cops, firefighters, those kinds of high risk occupations talk about their job, stories, etc.?
There's a podcast called Detective, I think, in which a guy discusses his career and particular cases. I listened to one episode and it was boring to be honest. Just a guy droning on.

Criminal is kind of close to what you're asking for, and it's fantastic.

There's a podcast called Detective, I think, in which a guy discusses his career and particular cases. I listened to one episode and it was boring to be honest. Just a guy droning on.

Criminal is kind of close to what you're asking for, and it's fantastic.
Listened to the first episode of that one and I'd have to agree. It's really dry. And yeah, Criminal is excellent

My new favorite podcast is Reply All. The stories are fascinating

GRW810

Listened to the first episode of that one and I'd have to agree. It's really dry. And yeah, Criminal is excellent

My new favorite podcast is Reply All. The stories are fascinating
Reply All is a joy to listen to. The stories and subjects covered are usually very interesting. It's like a little tech-oriented This American Life.

I'm really glad I finally gave My Brother, My Brother and Me a chance (I was honestly worried about the McElroy's voices getting on my nerves) because it's really great but the other reason I'm glad is that it finally got me to try out The Flop House, which I absolutely love.

I know it's a different thing entirely but I doubt I'll want to listen to How Did This Get Made anymore because Flop House is so much funnier.

Reply All is a joy to listen to. The stories and subjects covered are usually very interesting. It's like a little tech-oriented This American Life.

Sort of. Sure. Or Planet Money.

Also, for those looking for new things to listen to, here's another round of interesting podcasts that don't often get mentioned:

Tech Podcasts:
Re/code Replay - The companion to the best interviews in the tech industry.
Re/code Decode - The best interviews about the tech industry. Period.
Too Embarrassed to Ask - Tech breakdowns for the casual.
What's Tech - More tech breakdowns for the casual from Re/Code media
DTNS - Daily Tech News Show - recapping the news in tech daily

Entertainment Industry:
The Frame - Daily news show about the entertainment industry
On the Media - A recap of the big events in the news around media
The Spin-off: Weekly show about the Television industry
KCRW The Treatment - Weekly show about the Film Industry
KCRW's The Business - One of the best talks shows about the business of the entertainment industry

The Best Black podcasts. EVER.
For Colored Nerds - Insightful conversations about any given topic from two fellow Howard folks. One of the hosts is currently the host of Gimlet's Sampler

Bodega Boys: Two New York dudes speak frankly and with great humor about whatever they feel like. Usually, being young men with game in NY.

Denzel Washington is the Greatest Actor of All Time Period: W. Kamau Bell's breakdown of all things Denzel Washington. Humorous. Also all true.

Spawn on Me Podcast: it's a gaming podcast, but it's really a social podcast about far more than videogames. There's nothing in the space quite like it.

I've probably got about 20 more podcasts in the feed. If you have a specific subject or type that you're looking for, I probably have a recommendation or three.

I have an enormous list of podcasts I listen to, but it's more of a priority list just in case my favorites don't have one going on or I have more time to listen to podcasts than normal.

Of course, I also own a bunch of episodes of Mysterious Universe that I can always listen to.

Finally listening to Welcome To Night Vale, and while it's interesting and fun, sometimes it sounds like supernatural Mad Libs. Is there any overarching story or just random weirdness each episode?

Oh wow! Thanks for adding Final Games to the recommended list on the OT :) Here's a better thumbnail pic for you to use, don't have to have Simon Miller staring us down all the time.

dT0KDaQ.jpg
Thanks, switched it out

I just listened to A Twilight World of Ultimate Smoothness again and it's still great. It's only six parts. It's a surreal smooth jazz/classic light R&B radio show hosted by Greg Willis. It's like a mixture of Blue Jam and a GTA radio station. It isn't as dark or surreal as Blue Jam though sadly, but still very enjoyable. Highly recommended.

Just don't wake the sax wolves.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Well, start from the beginning really, that's what I did - every episode is good (except for the the one this week which was an interview with the guy from Human Centipede 2 which was boring as hell).

My personal favourites though:
Satanism in the Government Part I: Hellfire (Ep 119)
The Satanic Government Part II: The Franklin Cover-Up Part I (Ep 120)
The Satanic Government Part III: The Franklin Cover-Up Part II (Ep 121)

Hail Satan (Ep 39)
The Alien Agenda (Ep 40)
Project MK Ultra (Ep 52)

Satanic Ritual Abuse Part I: Burning In My Rectum (Ep 69)
Satanic Ritual Abuse Part II: Old Grandma Played the Piano (Ep 70)
Secret Societies (Ep 83)

The Pleiadians and the Battle for Humanity (Ep 91)
Journey to the Planet Serpo (Ep 105)
The Illuminati (ep 21)

And then of course, as previously mentioned the Jeffrey Dahmer 3-parter (Ep 123-125)

thanks for this - i love horror and have been recommended Last Podcast on the Left a lot but could never get into it.

gonna give it another shot with this list, thanks!

lunchtoast

YvrRttx.png

Weekly podcast discussing each episode. Just started on season 2. Hosted by a 3rd generation Texan and a "Yankee." Listened to a few episodes so far and not bad. They'll discuss the episode and play clips.

XHL9TSu.png

Anyone listen to this one?
A Simpsons podcast with in-depth reviews on every Simpsons episode, interviews with the cast, plus much more. Hosted by Dando and Mitch.

jon bones

fans of the McElroy family need to check out Still Buffering - the new podcast from Sydnee and Rilieigh

it's super charming

I'm interested in the No Sleep Podcast, but they're already at Season 6. Should I start from the beginning or is there any specific point where I could jump in?

jon bones

I'm interested in the No Sleep Podcast, but they're already at Season 6. Should I start from the beginning or is there any specific point where I could jump in?

every episode is full of self contained stories but here are some great ones to start with:

S3E20 - Security Cameras

S5E05 - I Used to Hack Baby Monitors

Nosleep Podcast – Butcherface

S3E05 - The Thing That Will Kill me

S6E18 - Black Magic

S6E18 - Nurse's Training

there's also a really fantastic one framed as one long call to a police dispatcher but i can't find it right now

Top Bottom