• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Pixels Walk With Me

Hey guys!

I just wanted to let you know that Agatha Knife has been greenlit.

We have already begun preparing all the Steam launch material and we expect to have all the localisation ready soon.

Thanks for your votes and support, they have been key to the campaign success.

That poor pig :((((((

Bookman

I guess I can do one.

Thank you kind sir (crocodile)

It's kind of hard to not go full fanboy over this game. Of course I really want it to sell and that the team gets the appreciation (I think ) they deserve. Really looking forward to play it today, even took the day off.

Sloane

Banned
Thank you kind sir (crocodile)

It's kind of hard to not go full fanboy over this game. Of course I really want it to sell and that the team gets the appreciation (I think ) they deserve. Really looking forward to play it today, even took the day off.
Yeah, I'm a little afraid, it'll fly under the radar, since it seems to receive pretty little coverage even for a point & click adventure, but we'll see I guess. Can't wait to play it tonight.

BluWacky

I am ridiculously excited about Thimbleweed Park; although I've backed it and read all the various updates I've had through Kickstarter etc., I still feel like I barely know anything about it other than the premise and who the playable characters are - but what I do know makes it seem absolutely brilliant.

Fingers crossed!

Ok, I've had to do this in much less time then I'd want since the game comes out in five and a half hours, but below is what I have - anyone think of anything that needs to be added before I post?

Thimbleweed Park - a Ron Gilbert game |OT| Thirty-scumm years of adventures
thimbleweed38wzea.png

t0e9skx.png

Welcome to Thimbleweed Park. Population: 80 nutcases.

A haunted hotel, an abandoned circus, a burnt-out pillow factory, a dead body pixelating under the bridge, toilets that run on vacuum tubes... you've never visited a place like this before.

Five people with nothing in common have been drawn to this rundown, forgotten town. They don't know it yet, but they are all deeply connected. And they're being watched.

In a town like Thimbleweed Park, a dead body is the least of your problems.

Ron Gilbert returns thirty years after Maniac Mansion, with his first true point & click game in twenty years. There are also 3 other Lucasfilm alumni in the team - Gary Winnick, who co-created Maniac Mansion with Ron, David Fox, who created Zak Mckracken, and Mark Ferrari, who did the fantastic background art for games like Monkey Island and Loom. This project apparently came about when Ron & Gary were talking about what made the old lucas p&c's so charming. They couldn't come up with a firm reason so decided to make an old style p&c and work it out for themselves (hence pixel art, verb interface, etc).

This was funded via Kickstarter, and you can see how the game evolved from the pitch to the finished product:

twp_changesaaxl.png

I should point out that just because they went with a scumm style interface doesn't mean there's been no evolution since the DOTT UI. As above, you can now see "between" the verbs. Obviously this is still dead-space, but it makes it feel less claustrophobic imo. The verb parser has also been moved from above the verbs to on-mouse, giving even more screen-estate to the actual game (bottom is cut off as I suck at making gifs):

tgifkzxfh.gif

Of course, you can turn this off if you want:

t11xqxyw.png

And I believe you can go total old school and lose the space between verbs as well.

Game trailer (Possibly NSFW, though it's just [lots of] beeped out swearing)

If you're interested in seeing how the game evolved, I would HIGHLY recommend visiting the dev blog, which has a wealth of information about how they got here, including design decisions, coding examples and over sixty podcasts.

t8c8l19.png

- Five playable (and switchable) characters:

thimbleweedpark-charah0lvg.png

From left to right, Ransome, Franklin, Agent Ray, Agent Reyes and Delores.

- Multiple endings
- Set in 1987 with some playful pokes at things like Twin Peaks, True Detective and The X-Files
- Has "Casual" and "Hard" mode. If you enjoy P&C games choose "hard" as casual is really meant for newcomers to the genre

Works on:
* Windows (7, 8, 10),
* Mac OS X (10.9.0+)
* Linux (Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04)
* Xbox One (Launch console exclusivity, lasts three months)

Languages:
* Audio and text: English
* Text only: Deutsch, Español, Français, Italiano (I believe post-release Ron will have a system for crowd-sourced languages)

t1obsxe.png

t2yxsd3.png

t3h5sgk.png

ti1o8s3b.png
ti31ysqk.png
ti4btses.png

t6zab1v.png

tix10xael.png
tix2eepcx.png
tix3nzbr4.png

t72lx2j.png

IGN Spain - 8.2/10

I'll add them as I see them. Let me know if you see one I've missed.

deadfolk

Really excited about Thimbleweed Park. Looking at all the artwork reminds me more of Zak McKracken than any other game.

That was my first P&C and I only borrowed the Amiga version from a friend, so I never finished it. But I did stay up all night to play it, which was the first time I'd ever done that.

Which reminds me - I have ZM on GOG now. I really should go back and play it.

BluWacky

Added to wishlist!

Also: I have heard good things about Night in the Woods, is that actually a PnC or more of a hybrid?

It's more Telltale-y - there are no puzzles, just running around talking to people with some very light platforming and three rhythm game sections.

It's not bad, but it requires essentially no brain power.

Alastor3

It's more Telltale-y - there are no puzzles, just running around talking to people with some very light platforming and three rhythm game sections.

It's not bad, but it requires essentially no brain power.

It's more like Oxenfree than a Telltale game.

RAIDEN1

It's all about FULL THROTTLE!! Back from the dead in over 20 years, The Polecats are back!!! (April 18th and counting..)

RAIDEN1

No Sir_Crocodile, lagging behind a bit on all things point and click, still need to complete Day of the Tentacle- which I am making my way through, I'll probably hit Thimbleweed some point after Full Throttle...

Saladinoo

Enjoying the Twin Peaks reference in the thread title. SO is Thimbleweed Park good? I haven't played an adventure game in a long, LONG time, used to love them though.

SMG

Enjoying the Twin Peaks reference in the thread title. SO is Thimbleweed Park good? I haven't played an adventure game in a long, LONG time, used to love them though.
I normally fall back on gamefaq but with TWP I'm forcing myself to play all on my own and it's great so far. A few odd puzzles but not too convoluted yet.
The writing is funny and starting to get genuinely​ mysterious.

Story is interesting, personally I enjoyed it. Puzzles are superb - very logical, and some I found pretty tough. But I managed to complete it in 10 hours without hints or spamming inventory on everything.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Here's a dev update on The Fall Part 2, it sounds very ambitious compared to the first episode. The bolded is especially interesting:

So what's taking so long, man?

You've probably noticed the delay in the trailer to Q3. That's not something that any developer likes to announce, obviously (not that there's anything wrong with Q3 in particular... you get my point). You may have also noticed a subtext to this update, and that is that part 2 is significantly more complex than part 1, and therein lies the challenge.

This development cycle has been very interesting to be a part of, and I've learned a significant amount. My writer Caleb and I have always had lofty goals for what we'd like the project to communicate, but of course that means that we've given ourselves some really rather interesting challenges. For example, it's one thing to want to put in ideas about dealing with different perspectives in a narrative, it's another thing to design puzzles where those ideas are communicated through the structure of the game and are clearly presented in a fun, simple way that isn't obtuse - because there's no precedent for that gameplay exactly, and many problems arise when trying to create it. Solving those problems takes time, and it's pretty safe to say at this point that it takes a lot more time than I previously thought. However I've come to believe, especially in the current over saturated game market, that if you're not solving really difficult problems, your game won't be contributing anything really new, and won't be different enough to matter.

I'm not going to lie - there were times in this process that I was worried. I was afraid that we bit off more than we could chew, and that we were making something just too complex. However, we've squeezed and pulled, and with a lot of sweat (sometimes the kind one wakes up with in the middle of the night) I really think we're starting to compress this thing into a diamond. I still worry that it won't connect with people, and that we've waited to long and we've missed our window -- but as The Fall Part 2 takes shape, that fear is starting to subside. The truth is that we're not delaying because we're without focus and direction, we're delaying because every day I work on this thing I'm more confident in it, it's quality and most importantly, its ability to connect with people and give them something great. So weather that estimation will carry us into an even more amazing part 3, or just be a lofty epitaph... well, we'll find out in a few months.

I am making the FT OT, gimme subtitle ideas gang.

Full Throttle |OT| Full HD Throttle
Full Throttle |OT| Full-er Throttle
Full Throttle |OT| More life than a Duracell bunny
Full Throttle |OT| Do not kick dumpster

Shite I know but my pun sense isn't working today!

nny

Wow, you can get The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 and Deponia for PS4 for $1 on the latest Humble Bundle. It's US PSN only, but everyone got an account for each region, right? ;)

Wow, you can get The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 and Deponia for PS4 for $1 on the latest Humble Bundle. It's US PSN only, but everyone got an account for each region, right? ;)

was wondering if Deponia is worth my time. always wanted to try the series..should i get on ps4 or just get for pc?

Tizoc

I am SLOWLY making my way thru Thimbleweed Park but I am quite enjoying it.
Although the
first Dolores segment was a little too on the nose for me :p

Top Bottom