• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Pixels Walk With Me

Slaythe

Made it to the final area in Simon 1.
Hadn't really enjoyed playing it much to be honest.
I will give Simon 2 a try and see if I like it more though.

Simon 2 is a great game.

The pacing of the beginning might annoy you but I think it pays off so please finish it. :x

Tizoc

Tried Star Trek 25th and the controls are confusing me. How the heck do I even pull out my phaser gun?
Gonna go read that damned manual...

Tizoc

Wow so the city is the first half of Simon 2?
I'm not enjoying the game very much I am sad to say. The humor is very centered on insults and making fun of stuff. I did find a few funny but otherwise it didn't click with me all too well.
Will see if I can finish it later today and move onto something else.

Slaythe

Wow so the city is the first half of Simon 2?
I'm not enjoying the game very much I am sad to say. The humor is very centered on insults and making fun of stuff. I did find a few funny but otherwise it didn't click with me all too well.
Will see if I can finish it later today and move onto something else.

It's a case of one reaps what they sow.

I think it pays off.

I didn't hate the first part though. So maybe you won't like the next part.

Let me say that there's no proper sequel to this. It's kind of a monkey 2 situation where other people handled it.

It's a case of one reaps what they sow.

I think it pays off.

I didn't hate the first part though. So maybe you won't like the next part.

Let me say that there's no proper sequel to this. It's kind of a monkey 2 situation where other people handled it.

Don't think it was quite the same, Simon Woodroffe did write Simon the Sorceror 3D afaik. That was more a problem of publishers wanting 3D games and development hell I think.

Tizoc

Having just beaten the game...nah didn't like Simon 2 either. Games feel like they haven't aged well.

EDIT: You know what, I'ma play Tales of Monkey Island now. I've always liked that game and I could really go for an adventure game I enjoyed to get me out of this PnC slump.

Slaythe

Having just beaten the game...nah didn't like Simon 2 either. Games feel like they haven't aged well.

EDIT: You know what, I'ma play Tales of Monkey Island now. I've always liked that game and I could really go for an adventure game I enjoyed to get me out of this PnC slump.

Ah shame !

I liked Tales of monkey Island but it has a lot of flaws that prevent me from just replaying it... Maybe i should try again, it's been years.

Don't think it was quite the same, Simon Woodroffe did write Simon the Sorceror 3D afaik. That was more a problem of publishers wanting 3D games and development hell I think.

Simon 3D is an abortion. I don't call that proper.

Tizoc

Halfway through Ep. 1 of Tales of MI and here are my observations
1- Telltale's engine was never consistent was it? Even on and old game like this the game will momentarily freeze (I say momentarily but the freezing could last up to 5 seconds) when you choose a dialog option.
2- Holy re-used models Monkeyman, The report and Van Winslow have the same model and body, only Winslow is darker skinned and has a cool beard.
3- The models overall have not aged well, compared to the stuff we see in Walking Dead S1 and onwards, the faces have some good design about them as bad
4- Mouse controls could be better; you have to put your mouse on Guybrush and hold left click to move him around. This gets a little awkward at first but over time you get used to it. Hold right button to make him run. Double clicking on stuff will have him run to items or people
5- Visit the doctor's house and click on his door after every event or character you meet in the game.

All in all though, still enjoying my time with it.

TripleSun

Nice snippet taken from the AdventureGamers' preview of The Wardrobe

"While not exactly an endangered species just yet, the traditional third-person, point-and-click adventure hasn’t been as prominent in recent times, so The Wardrobe should be right up a lot of genre fans’ alleys. Between the high-quality presentation, substantial puzzles and rich player interaction, plus more comic pop culture references than you can shake a fibula at, there will be plenty to keep you occupied and entertained throughout."

Game looks really beautiful and I'm loving the setting already. Can't wait until it comes out later this month.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I still have my prescription manual, too. Do GOG Sierra releases always have the cd voices when applicable?

Tizoc

Welp only 1 episode left in Tales of Monkey Island.
Gotta say
LeChuck being evil all along was cleverly done. I'm guessing that he would've still played along nicely enough until he had a chance to kill Guybrush whether he regained his voodoo powers or not

EDIT: BTW could someone post about the differences in the OG Floppy Versions of Loom and its lter releases?

EDIT: BTW could someone post about the differences in the OG Floppy Versions of Loom and its lter releases?

There are other versions with minor differences, but for the main three:

EGA IBM compatible floppy has closeups, obviously as the original it has the full dialogue, 16-colour EGA graphics. The only version Brian Moriarty worked on, so everything is as he intended.

FM-TOWNS version has a digital soundtrack, 256-colour VGA graphics (although it is a slightly different version then the PC-CD one), the closeups and all of the original dialogue. No voice acting. One slight bit of censored blood, 2 mins of music is missing at the beginning.

PC-CD version scrapped the character closeups because they couldn't lip sync to the added voice acting and scrapped loads of dialogue because they wouldn't have been able to fit the full Loom dialogue on the cd as it was stored as redbook audio. Has 256-colour VGA graphics. Couple of new bits. See more here: http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=802320

So basically you can make arguments over whether the floppy(the game as intended by the dev) or the FM TOWNS version(better graphics, sound, practically no lost content) is the best, but the PC-CD version is undoubtedly the worst. Sadly it's also the only one available to purchase digitally. :/

heringer

Started the Blackwell series and finished the first game. It was okay, but story is kind of whatever and there's a couple of obtuse puzzles that I had to use a walkthrough. The good ending relies purely on luck, you have to stumble on it.

I enjoyed Shivah more. Hopefully the games get better.

epmode

Started the Blackwell series and finished the first game. It was okay, but story is kind of whatever and there's a couple of obtuse puzzles that I had to use a walkthrough. The good ending relies purely on luck, you have to stumble on it.

While I like the first game, they absolutely get better. Gotta remember that Legacy was Wadjet Eye's first commercial game. The first game is particularly interesting because its soundtrack is so different from the rest of the series.

(The Shiva was originally released before Legacy but I suspect you played the remake)

On the last chapter of Book of Unwritten Tales 2 right now. It's been fairly decent so far. I probably should have played the first one though so I knew a little more about the backstory between all he characters haha

Each game in the series gets better, keep going. I wasn't too impressed by Legacy either, but now I absolutely love the series.

sangreal

I actually just played the Blackwell series last week myself, I don't remember anything particularly hard or unintuitive about the first game. I'm also not so convinced it gets better as the series goes on -- though it does get harder (which I enjoy). The gameplay and story doesn't change at all so if you don't like the first I can't see why you would like the later games

I enjoyed them all, but I kind of wish they did more with the story
instead of the abrupt conclusion that dropped some of the threads

sangreal

On another note, I also played through the broken sword iPad games (1, 2, 5) this week. Had a good time with 1 and 5. Thought 2 kind of sucked as it was nothing but inventory puzzles (find what item you have works in the present situation). 3 and 4 aren't on iOS but they look like awful early 3d games. Are they worth playing at all? I didn't feel I missed any references in 5. I'm a big fan of GK3 so I can tolerate a shitty 3D game if I really need to, but I'd just as soon pass if they're nothing special. I'm guessing there is good reason they didn't bother porting them

ubique

3 and 4 aren't on iOS but they look like awful early 3d games. Are they worth playing at all?

No. A few pages ago I posted some impressions of those two in this thread. They're both worse than they look. Every night, while I played them, I whispered a quiet wish to God that a lunatic would come and eat me

Boem

Serious question- why isnt there an 'art of monkey island' book?

There is, in a way. Rogue Leaders: The Story of Lucasarts has a lot of art and info on all the games (the covers - there are 4 of them - are dreadful though. Why all that yellow? Why Monkey 4 Guybrush?):

rogue_leaders.jpg

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0811861848/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: Just noticed the prices on Amazon. Jesus Christ! I didn't know this book was so rare. I should seriously consider selling it. It's not worth that amount of money though. Check out the Mixnmojo galleries and secret histories, probably the best collection of a lot of rare art and obscure information (more than is in that book): https://mixnmojo.com/media and https://mixnmojo.com/news/All-the-LucasArts-Secret-History-articles-back-online (that last one is a goldmine if you're into this kind of stuff).

It's a good book if you're interested in that era of gaming.

As for a specific Monkey Island book coming out now - it's a bit complicated. Disney owns Lucasfilm/Lucasarts now, but Lucasarts itself doesn't exist anymore. Disney doesn't have any real interest in doing anything with the old adventure games, but luckily thanks to Sony Double Fine is making the recent remakes.

It's extremely difficult to negotiate with Disney on these things. Double Fine couldn't have done it themselves, they really needed a giant like Sony doing the heavy lifting for them. Double Fine has stated that they actually wanted to do some merchandising (figurines, soundtrack LP's, etc) for their adventure game remakes, but that it's just very hard to get all of that worked out, and that all of that is really unlikely to happen in the near future.

Disney is very protective of their IP, and while a smaller company like Double Fine is obviously interested, they'd need a larger publishing company to get involved, and the market for these things just isn't very large all things considered. It's the kind of project that would attract a smaller, niche focused publisher, but those in turn aren't able to negotiate with Disney. And Disney obviously isn't going to do it themselves - they just bought Lucas for Star Wars (and Indiana Jones).

Edit: Also, not quite the same, but the physical release of Monkey 2 Special Edition had a ton of extra content on the disc. More video footage of Schafer, Gilbert & Grossman recording commentary (some of which didn't end up in the game), and especially a lot of art and storyboards for the cancelled Monkey Island movie (which would later morph into Pirates of the Caribbean).

sangreal

No. A few pages ago I posted some impressions of those two in this thread. They're both worse than they look. Every night, while I played them, I whispered a quiet wish to God that a lunatic would come and eat me

lol I went back and read your impressions and yeah... I think I'll pass. Thanks for the heads up

Tizoc

Almost half way thru Toonstruck.
I like some stuff about and some stuff not so much (that blasted stew pot 'puzzle' for one thing) but I am enjoying Doc Brown's antics thru this early 90s cartoon world :p
Also Jim Cummings' voiced at least 3 characters so far from what I've seen.

TripleSun

So AdventureGamers is saying April 25th for US release of Syberia 3, although the trailer I'm watching only says the month. Regardless, guess it's time to catch up on Syberia 2 lol.

Tizoc

Yo dat twist in Toonstruck.
Also a FOURTH character voiced by Jim Cummings. I can never get enough of him XP

EDIT: Make that FIVE.

Tizoc

There is, in a way. Rogue Leaders: The Story of Lucasarts has a lot of art and info on all the games (the covers - there are 4 of them - are dreadful though. Why all that yellow? Why Monkey 4 Guybrush?):

rogue_leaders.jpg

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0811861848/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: Just noticed the prices on Amazon. Jesus Christ! I didn't know this book was so rare. I should seriously consider selling it. It's not worth that amount of money though. Check out the Mixnmojo galleries and secret histories, probably the best collection of a lot of rare art and obscure information (more than is in that book): https://mixnmojo.com/media and https://mixnmojo.com/news/All-the-LucasArts-Secret-History-articles-back-online (that last one is a goldmine if you're into this kind of stuff).

It's a good book if you're interested in that era of gaming.

As for a specific Monkey Island book coming out now - it's a bit complicated. Disney owns Lucasfilm/Lucasarts now, but Lucasarts itself doesn't exist anymore. Disney doesn't have any real interest in doing anything with the old adventure games, but luckily thanks to Sony Double Fine is making the recent remakes.

It's extremely difficult to negotiate with Disney on these things. Double Fine couldn't have done it themselves, they really needed a giant like Sony doing the heavy lifting for them. Double Fine has stated that they actually wanted to do some merchandising (figurines, soundtrack LP's, etc) for their adventure game remakes, but that it's just very hard to get all of that worked out, and that all of that is really unlikely to happen in the near future.

Disney is very protective of their IP, and while a smaller company like Double Fine is obviously interested, they'd need a larger publishing company to get involved, and the market for these things just isn't very large all things considered. It's the kind of project that would attract a smaller, niche focused publisher, but those in turn aren't able to negotiate with Disney. And Disney obviously isn't going to do it themselves - they just bought Lucas for Star Wars (and Indiana Jones).

Edit: Also, not quite the same, but the physical release of Monkey 2 Special Edition had a ton of extra content on the disc. More video footage of Schafer, Gilbert & Grossman recording commentary (some of which didn't end up in the game), and especially a lot of art and storyboards for the cancelled Monkey Island movie (which would later morph into Pirates of the Caribbean).
Thanka for the info gonna see if i can fine thenfirst 2 books somehow

Boem

Thanka for the info gonna see if i can fine thenfirst 2 books somehow

Sorry if I wasn't clear: it's 1 book, but you can get it in 4 different covers. I have the Purple Tentacle one. The contents for all 4 versions is the same.

Kintaco

Been playing Day of the Tentacle Remastered, first time ever playing it but I have played the original Sam n Max and Full Throttle. Really loving the game, but damn some of those puzzles make you pull your hair out. I heard that the Monkey Island remaster has a hint system, does this game have that as well or am I out of luck. I don't want to spoil everything by using a guide.

Been playing Day of the Tentacle Remastered, first time ever playing it but I have played the original Sam n Max and Full Throttle. Really loving the game, but damn some of those puzzles make you pull your hair out. I heard that the Monkey Island remaster has a hint system, does this game have that as well or am I out of luck. I don't want to spoil everything by using a guide.

It doesn't have a built-in hint system, but if you're really stuck, you can always use the Universal Hint System website, which offers hints (i.e. you pick a question and they give at first vague advice, then increasingly specific instructions if you so choose) for tons of adventure games.

Tizoc

edit: OK wow yeah the GOG ver. is indeed the FM Towns ver. of Zak McCraken.
Dat FM Towns music quality is superb doe @o@

Top Bottom