• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2015 - Back with a vengeance

spinz

Guess it's time to go back and play the other 4, though I'm worried they may not be the same after that ending.

Hmm yeah you may have spoiled it a bit for yourself. All of the episodes are good though and it should be interesting seeing how it starts.

zakujanai

If they're all designed as well as that one I'll be happy. Desperately trying to forget everything I saw involving a certain ghost
Madeleine, since she seemed to have been a major part of previous games too.

flowsnake

If they're all designed as well as that one I'll be happy. Desperately trying to forget everything I saw involving a certain ghost
Madeleine, since she seemed to have been a major part of previous games too.

I think they got better as they went along, but they're all good.

Gorger

Contradiction is awesome. There's shades of Gabriel Knight II and Tex Murphy in there, crossed with old British murder mystery shows and Phoenix Wright style catch the lie puzzles. The acting and overall tone strikes a good balance between campy and playing it straight. Compelling stuff so far that scratches that 90's FMV adventure itch.

Wow I am buying this the second I get the chance. I am a huge point and click FMV fan and have played and beaten most of the ones released in the 90's. Gabriel Knight 2. Phantasmagoria, Realms of a Haunting, Black Dahlia, Toonstruck, Harvester and Tex murphy are some of my favorites.

It's a sheer joy seeing the slow return of FMV games with the release of games like Tesla Effect, Missing, Contradiction and Her Story. With HD technology there is so many neat ideas you can combine with film and video games.

Nudull

Banned
Playing the Genesis version of Scooby-Doo Mystery really makes me wish I paid attention to it back when I was younger. It's the Lucasarts-esque console PnC I never knew I wanted.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Really hope Asylum comes out this year. Seems like I've been waiting for years (I have).

I'm not a big fan of point and click adventures but their teaser blew my mind

http://www.senscape.net/asylum-teaser/

^Not actually part of the game, just a teaser to show what the game will be like and what the engine is capable of. At the time I thought the graphics were amazing, but they've since changed several things and it looks sicker than ever. They did have a kickstarter a year or so back, it made over $100,000 if I recall.

News is not good. In the KS updates they basically closed down their office and are working from home again.

Gamespot uploaded a short video about Armikrog based on playing the first parts of the game. Impressions are quite positive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDch1qZfZ1I

Forgot i backed this. Isnt it coming out soon?

Fuz

Banned
Playing the Genesis version of Scooby-Doo Mystery really makes me wish I paid attention to it back when I was younger. It's the Lucasarts-esque console PnC I never knew I wanted.

I didn't knew this. It's a shameless ripoff of DotT.

celebi23

First final(ish) background from Thimbleweed Park is up:

W26X0oI.png

Looks fantastic to me, especially so in the video with the sunset:

https://vimeo.com/133706183

Only thing I'm not a fan of is the box behind the speaking text, but Ron Gilbert says in the comments it'll probably be toggle-able.

http://blog.thimbleweedpark.com/quickiepal
Damn, this is starting to shape up incredibly :D Really wanting a Monkey Island 3a by Gilbert and his team

Card Boy

Banned
The Daedalic Armageddon Bundle is $15.99 for 11 games on Steam.

Deponia
Chaos on Deponia
Goodbye Deponia
The Whispered World Special Edition
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
A New Beginning - Final Cut
Memoria
The Night of the Rabbit
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes
1954 Alcatraz

Nudull

Banned
I didn't knew this. It's a shameless ripoff of DotT.

Part of me wants to forgive the obvious "knock-off" feeling, since...holy hell, a Scooby-Doo game that's actually decent. It seems pretty short, though.

It does remind me, I really should play DotT. Is that remaster still coming?

Boem

Part of me wants to forgive the obvious "knock-off" feeling, since...holy hell, an Scooby-Doo game that's actually decent. It seems pretty short, though.

Yeah, they're still working on it. No trailer or screenshots yet though, but some people from Double Fine confirmed during E3 that it's still coming, they just didn't have anything quite ready yet to show right now. They also mention the game in the last DF documentary episode that was released this week.

They haven't talked release dates at all yet, but I expect it'll be released this year. Seems right for a project that size. I'd say it's worth waiting for the remaster - we don't know what they're doing with the art yet (but it'll probably be closer to the original style than the Monkey Island remakes were), but it'll be worth it for the remastered soundtrack and commentary tracks alone. The commentary for Monkey 2 and Grim Fandango was really funny at times.

Tizoc

Slowly making my way through Contradiction. fOR $10 I think it's worth the price.

Will check out that Genesis/MD Scooby Doo game too.

They haven't talked release dates at all yet, but I expect it'll be released this year. Seems right for a project that size. I'd say it's worth waiting for the remaster - we don't know what they're doing with the art yet (but it'll probably be closer to the original style than the Monkey Island remakes were), but it'll be worth it for the remastered soundtrack and commentary tracks alone. The commentary for Monkey 2 and Grim Fandango was really funny at times.

All I'm hoping for visuals wise is the same chuck jones style without that icky upressed feel you get from projects like the ios phoenix wright ports.

Boem

All I'm hoping for visuals wise is the same chuck jones style without that icky upressed feel you get from projects like the ios phoenix wright ports.

Yeah I'm always doubtful of projects like this when it comes to visuals. It's very hard to get right, especially because the old Lucas adventures (from Indy 3 onwards) have such a strongly defined visual style. I'm sure it'll be better than the Monkey Special editions because they're doing it inhouse rather than outsourcing it to Korea. Monkey 1 was especially atrocious. Monkey 2 was better, but I still feel a lot got lost there.

I hope they're willing to add a few frames of animation here and there. Just changing all the characters/objects/backgrounds to higher-res redrawn versions can make it look very odd - if you're going to change it you might as well add some things here and there to make the new style work on its own. That's one of the things the Monkey 2 remake got right, I think. They made the animation more fluid to make walking animations etc. not as jarring as they were in Monkey 1 SE, and added small animated background details such as birds/clouds/frogs/etc.

Double Fine mentioned on their forums that they're going for something inbetween what they did for Grim and what Lucasarts did for Monkey Island. They didn't go into too much detail beyond that, but I guess what you can expect is something like Monkey 2 SE without them reinterpreting what certain characters look like (I'm mostly talking about Guybrush - Guybrush in the first remake looked horrible, although he looked better in the second remake. I don't think the Monkey 3-style lanky Guybrush works for the first two games, although I admit that he's an especially difficult character to get right given that he's so iconic and the original sprites don't give you a lot to work with - the bigger, more detailed sprites of DoTT should be easier in that regard. I did like that they gave Monkey 2 LeChuck a dead crow in his hat, which is a detail that only showed up in the original concept art by Steve Purcell).

I'm mostly excited for the remake (and any upcoming remakes) because of the new music and commentary tracks though. I really hope they went the extra mile and got Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick to record a seperate commentary for Maniac Mansion, which is playable on a computer in the DoTT mansion. I don't think it's realistic to expect a full remake of Maniac Mansion within the game as that would pretty much require them to remake two full games (and I don't really think that's needed at all), but a commentary would be really neat. Would be some nice exposure for Gilbert and Winnick for their kickstarter game as well.

Nudull

Banned
I've only ever played the first Monkey Island through the Special Edition. I didn't mind the art style (as I could tell they were going for the feel of the later sequels and Tales of), but then again, it was my first time experiencing the series. It's kind of hard to judge when you don't have that sense of nostalgia.

Boem

I've only ever played the first Monkey Island through the Special Edition. I didn't mind the art style (as I could tell they were going for the feel of the later sequels and Tales From), but then again, it was my first time experiencing the series. It's kind of hard to judge when you don't have that sense of nostalgia.

Oh yeah, I'm completely aware that my take on remakes like that is clouded by nostalgia as I played those old games over and over back in the 90s. Those old versions are so familiar to me that it'll be very hard for any new version to impress me. I completely admit I'm a bit of a grumpy old fart.

Let me say this: even though I can complain about the Monkey 2 remake from time to time (which is my favorite game ever), I think it's a massive improvement over the first remake and a lot of the things they added are actually really neat. I also love what they did with Grim Fandango - the old backgrounds still look good to me, and the new textures on the characters make them look amazing to me. I can completely understand why the improvements they made weren't enough for some people, but for me it was probably as good as it could be without the budget being 5 times larger.

The soundtracks for all 3 remakes are also very, very good.

I'd have liked them to use steve purcell's superb backgrounds for the basis of the mi2:se(of which I believe they had higher resolution sources for?) rather then just remaking slightly inferior ones from scratch, but yeah, it was a much better job then the first game.

Main issues with 2 were that Dominic Armato (much as I love him in 3-tales) still didn't really fit with the dark-comedyish vibe and you couldn't use the scumm inteface with the modern view (I disliked their new control system).

Fuz

Banned
Part of me wants to forgive the obvious "knock-off" feeling, since...holy hell, a Scooby-Doo game that's actually decent. It seems pretty short, though.

Honestly, DotT doesn't really need a remaster. But since DF is doing it, It will probably be good.

The Monkey Island remasters were total crap.

Nudull

Banned
Speaking of Monkey Island, I actually do have Tales of Monkey Island still sitting in my PSN account un-downloaded. Sam & Max: Beyond Time & Space and The Devil's Playhouse, too.

Dunno which series I'll tackle first.

Tizoc

Speaking of Monkey Island, I actually do have Tales of Monkey Island still sitting in my PSN account un-downloaded. Sam & Max: Beyond Time & Space and The Devil's Playhouse, too.

Dunno which series I'll tackle first.

Tales is the only one among those games you mentioned that performs fine on the PS3...well it does have some performance issues but it's far better than the Sam and Max ports.
If you ever want to play those games play them on PC.

sPEAKINg of PC I suddenly have the urge to rebuy some PnCs I already own on Steam from GOG @_@

Jay Tholen

Neo Member
The Daedalic Armageddon Bundle is $15.99 for 11 games on Steam.

Deponia
Chaos on Deponia
Goodbye Deponia
The Whispered World Special Edition
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
A New Beginning - Final Cut
Memoria
The Night of the Rabbit
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes
1954 Alcatraz

Do you guys have any suggestions on where to start with Daedalic's library if you don't mind baby puzzles and just want a nice world/plot/characters? Night of the Rabbit perhaps?

don't start with A New Beginning, its mediocre as all get out.

but that Steam bundle of theirs does seem like a pretty great deal, ANB excluded of course.

spinz

Do you guys have any suggestions on where to start with Daedalic's library if you don't mind baby puzzles and just want a nice world/plot/characters? Night of the Rabbit perhaps?

Hm. So, arguably none of those games really have "baby puzzles". I think you'll find daedalic makes games that are solidly above average in difficulty, and really none of them are casual at all.
That said, night of the rabbit is one of my favorites. It tells a story about childhood wonder that grows into something a bit more sinister and exciting. It also has some of my favorite music from daedalic games (and any adventure really).
A whispered world also sounds like a strong candidate for what youre looking for, in that its an immersive interesting world that takes you on a whimsical ride. But again, expect your brain to get a bit of exercise with the puzzles :)
As the above poster mentioned you'll want to keep distance from "a new beginning", its maybe something you should consider trying much later when youre running out of other adventures to play. Its sci-fi, and it didnt turn out too well. Pretty much all the other games are well worth your time though.

Boem

Kings Quest |OT| Text parsers? Where we're going we don't need text parsers.

'Cause of Christopher Lloyd.

Get it.

Eh.

Kings Quest |OT| Might contain a poooooisonous snake

RetroMG

I've been trying to come up with a reference to a Graham cracker, but that's just because that's my wife's favorite joke in the series.

spinz

I picked up contradiction by recommendation of this thread. And it is fun! At a first glance the title sounded too casual, but its actually turning out to be a rather good adventure with nice exploration elements.

Nudull

Banned
Is it bad that I've yet to play a King's Quest game? Maybe the reboot will serve as a nice intro. :eek:

Tales is the only one among those games you mentioned that performs fine on the PS3...well it does have some performance issues but it's far better than the Sam and Max ports.
If you ever want to play those games play them on PC.

sPEAKINg of PC I suddenly have the urge to rebuy some PnCs I already own on Steam from GOG @_@

Decided to play through Ice Station Santa. Holy hell, did Telltale's old console control scheme not age well. It was completely frustrating, trying to figure out how to position yourself to select stuff properly with no real way to see the actual controls in the options. >.>

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but the Gabriel Knight remake is now on iOS.
Not sure of the price etc as it's iOS 8 only and is unlocked via an in app purchase.

RAIDEN1

You'd think MORE INFO would be out by now on the progress of the Day of the Tentacle HD reboot!....Also still not sure what is the best way to get a CD quality version of Beneath a Steel Sky working on Windows 8.1!! Without having to download multiple files...

Tizoc

Parodn my ignorance, who is Al Lowe?

Also I just beat Contradiction, for $10 it's worth it
but man it ends on a cliffhanger of sorts.

Overall I give it a 4/5 and hope we get a sequel

Karak

I picked up contradiction by recommendation of this thread. And it is fun! At a first glance the title sounded too casual, but its actually turning out to be a rather good adventure with nice exploration elements.

I am doing an interview with Tim Follin the creator and am asking him about the plans. Via email he was very positive towards trying to do a sequel but would want to improve some things. So he is looking into it depending on how it seels.

Also if anyone here likes Life is Strange than check out Blues and Bullets. I did a review for both Contradiction and Blues and Bullets these past 2 weeks and I have been astounding by both of their quality. Blues and Bullets is like 4 bucks.

Top Bottom