• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokédex 3D announced for eShop (Free). Gotta 3D 'em all!

KamenSenshi

Yep this is a cool freebie that they could have easily charged for. Helpful to playing the game and it encourages taking the 3ds everywhere for spotpass "catching".

phillax said:
Wasn't Game Freak one of the first to receive the 3DS developer's kit?

it wouldn't be surprising

I posted this in the other thread, but I'll post it here too

From The Dust said:
the new Pokemon Ranch I bet. wonder who did this. it's not Ambrella's style unless Nintendo slapped some sense into them

Serenade said:
Impressive.

It'd be great if this could be accessed from in-game for whatever 3DS Pokemon titles are released (ala Halo Waypoint from Halo Reach), however redundant it may be.

Sadly, I just don't think that's possible.
HOWEVER, you may be able to transfer between this and Pokemon Grey. So you can collect Pokemon in this, and see them in the game's Pokedex.

daffy

Banned
Shantae looks like a killer app in that pic.

This seems like not any different than the Pokedex already in the game. Except 3D.

Big One

Banned
phillax said:
Wasn't Game Freak one of the first to receive the 3DS developer's kit?
Yeah but shit still takes time. Making 3D models is kind of out of Gamefreak's territory. I don't thing these are done by them...but if they are then that'll suggest a 3DS game I suppose.

Fewr

FTH said:
Shantae looks like a killer app in that pic.

This seems like not any different than the Pokedex already in the game. Except 3D.
Moves learned are not in the pokedex that the game has, or at least I haven't seen them.

Neiteio

KamenSenshi said:
Yep this is a cool freebie that they could have easily charged for. Helpful to playing the game and it encourages taking the 3ds everywhere for spotpass "catching".
You're thinking of StreetPass, where you have to pass other people with 3DSes to get the data. This uses SpotPass, so all you have to do is leave your 3DS in Sleep Mode in a WiFi-enabled area, like your house. Then Nintendo will automatically send you three random Pokemon daily. You'll catch some this way, and others through QR codes they'll release periodically. Good promotional tool. :)

Also, to whoever said this is just a 3D version of existing in-game pokedexes -- I don't think the in-game pokedexes list all the moves a Pokemon learns and what levels they learn them at! (Unless you mean website pokedexes like Serebii.net.)

More images:

obWEV.jpg

2kOpN.jpg

9f8Ne.jpg

XeroSauce

If they manage to release every single Pokemon I would splurge on a 3DS finally for this and fucking donate or something.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Pretty cool.

And yeah, there's been a lot of 3D models of the new guys floating around in the TCG too...remember how the little evolution box used to display Sugimori Art? Now it has a 3D render of the Pokemon in it, which seems like a waste for merely using on the cards.

With this, E3 coming up for a possible 3DS Pokemon announcement (Grey?), and Pokemon Black & White coming to McDonalds Happy Meals next month... Pokemon is everywhere now-and-days.

The Lamp

Yep, I suspect 3D models of these Pokemon are what the Pokemon series will use when it moves to the 3DS.

GIVE ME POKEMON STADIUM 3DS

MindCollizion said:
With this, E3 coming up for a possible 3DS Pokemon announcement (Grey?), and Pokemon Black & White coming to McDonalds Happy Meals next month... Pokemon is everywhere now-and-days.

when wasn't it?

MindCollizion said:

Not bad for a fad, huh?

KarmaCow said:
So does this interact with Black/White in anyway? Either way, can't argue with the price.

Nope. It can't read the B&W data.

Gravijah

MindCollizion said:

THE FAD IS BACK BABY

edit: oh god beaten by acebandage there goes my reputation

Izayoi said:
You and I were right?

;_;

Gravijah was right ft. Izayoi

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I said awhile ago thats Pokemon in augmented reality was a no brainer, so I'm not surprised to see something like this pop up. 3D augmented reality battles for the next Pokemon needs to happen though.

BY2K

Membero Americo
MindCollizion said:

I totally forgot about a 3DS Pokemon game.

Nintendo has so much stuff they could announce.

Neiteio

SalsaShark said:
no one else gonna say it?

alright: those 3D models look like SHIT
What? No they don't. They're clean, colorful; when sharply defined on a miniature screen in stereo 3D, they'll look even better. Tepig has all the personality of his sprite. Hydreigon looks like a BAMF. They're perfect.

The question, however, is are they animated? The two shots of Tepig and the two shots of Snivy, though shot from different angles, look like the exact same poses...

Neiteio said:
What? No they don't. They're clean, colorful. Tepig has all the personality of his sprite. Hydreigon looks like a BAMF. They're perfect. The question, however, is are they animated? The two shots of Tepig and the two shots of Snivy, though shot from different angles, look like the exact same poses...

Well, there's a little movie button, so maybe there's some kind of animation.

SalsaShark said:
i will be sad the day these replace sprites

Already happened.
Suicune--screenshot_large.jpg

phillax

Banned
MindCollizion said:

Pokemon was always like that.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
AceBandage said:
Sadly, I just don't think that's possible.
HOWEVER, you may be able to transfer between this and Pokemon Grey. So you can collect Pokemon in this, and see them in the game's Pokedex.
Accessing Waypoint from Reach was literally as simple as the 360 quick-launching Waypoint from your hard drive.

It's not complicated in the slightest, it's just not a proactive step to expect from this thing.

Neiteio

AceBandage said:
Well, there's a little movie button, so maybe there's some kind of animation.
Hmm, now I'm all curious what the movie button is!

Again, what an awesome freebie this is. Doesn't the eShop go live early next week? That means we'll be checking out our 3D Pokemon before Nintendo holds their conference!

I wonder what the first 16 Pokemon will be?

Gravijah

sonikokaruto said:
Pokemon twilight
Pokemon dawn
Pokemon dusk

It cannot be something as dull as gray

uhm it's grey not gray

MindCollizion said:
Never saw them in Happy Meals though. Not even back in the days of Red and Blue. Shits getting big(ger) each generation.

kfc kids meals & burger king kids meals back in the day

not happy meals though

Izayoi

Banned
SalsaShark said:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/media/26460/4/7.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/media/26460/4/4.jpg[IMG]

i will be sad the day these replace sprites[/QUOTE]
Hydreigon looks a little off, but the Tepig model is fantastic.

markot

Banned
Hopefully these are the models they will be using the in the 3ds pokemon ^_^ looks nice.

The models look better than the ones they used in that pikachu park thingy for the wii.

Neiteio said:

Again, what an awesome freebie this is. Doesn't the eShop go live early next week? That means we'll be checking out our 3D Pokemon before Nintendo holds their conference!

Goes live Monday night.
And the 16 are the starters (so 9 total) and probably the basics.

Neiteio

Izayoi said:
Hydreigon looks a little off, but the Tepig model is fantastic.
I think Hydreigon looks great. They even got the socket-like nature of his eyes and the ridges over them down pat. I think if viewed from more of a side view like the in-game sprite he would look more "correct."

Truth101

Banned
Neiteio said:

It should go live sometime Monday.

You know, I think GameFreak might just resort to using PBR/PokéPark models for whatever Pokémon they don't have time to model, sort of like how they used older sprites as an animation base in BW.

phillax

Banned
MindCollizion said:
Never saw them in Happy Meals though. Not even back in the days of Red and Blue. Shits getting big(ger) each generation.

Remember Pokemon toys were given with Burger King Kids Meal when the first movie came out here in the states.

Neiteio

AceBandage said:
Goes live Monday night.
And the 16 are the starters (so 9 total) and probably the basics.
Where is it confirmed that the starters are among the 16? Are you assuming that because the one shot shows Snivy's evolutionary tree?

That being said, I'd be down for the starters and their evolutions.

Top Bottom