• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Fj0823

First season's theme song.
Retelling of Ash meeting Pikachu.
Ash standing in defiance of spearow flock.
Metapod evolving into Butterfree.
Catching Charmander.
Erika gym battle.
Ho oh who was last seen in the first episode.
Wanted poster of Team Rocket.

Like fucking hell it ain't.

Sounds like a reboot to me

GoldStarz

They really should've just ditched Ash if they were going to do an original story. I feel like not using the main cast that's in the current anime is a step in the right direction since it gives the writers more freedom in what can happen in these movies but they should've just gone for a completely new cast rather than a lot of new cast members plus Ash.

Articalys

I mean, the runtime on most Pokemon movies is like, what? Hour and a half at the most, including the credits? So since they have the events from episode 1 at the start, probably abbreviated to 10 minutes or so, that still doesn't give them a ton of time to fit in all the rest of the movie-original material. Wonder how many of the movie characters they'll add to the episode 1 stuff, or if they only show up after he meets Ho-oh. Interested in how this will be paced, at least.

I mean, the runtime on most Pokemon movies is like, what? Hour and a half at the most, including the credits? So since they have the events from episode 1 at the start, probably abbreviated to 10 minutes or so, that still doesn't give them a ton of time to fit in all the rest of the movie-original material. Wonder how many of the movie characters they'll add to the episode 1 stuff, or if they only show up after he meets Ho-oh. Interested in how this will be paced, at least.

if the episode 1 stuff is only 10 minutes, the early trailers were edited by snakeoil salesmen

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
First season's theme song.
Retelling of Ash meeting Pikachu.
Ash standing in defiance of spearow flock.
Metapod evolving into Butterfree.
Catching Charmander.
Erika gym battle.
Ho oh who was last seen in the first episode.
Wanted poster of Team Rocket.

Like fucking hell it ain't.

retelling of the important parts of the first season != nostalgia trip

that's like saying the first Bay TMNT movie is a nostalgia trip.

Know what else a reboot does? Use the same characters again.
Eh not really. Look up Spider-Man for instance, they can't decide whether they should use MJ or Gwen!

Eh not really. Look up Spider-Man for instance, they can't decide whether they should use MJ or Gwen!

That's a fairly dishonest comparison. That is not a 20 year spiderman anime run using the same actor and studio, which ran for close to a thousand episodes, which they are celebrating the anniversary of. Weird shitty reboots are almost expected from superhero movies.

Boss Doggie

That's a fairly dishonest comparison. That is not a 20 year spiderman anime run using the same actor and studio, which ran for close to a thousand episodes, which they are celebrating the anniversary of. Weird shitty reboots are almost expected from superhero movies.

It is a fair comparison because we're talking about different audiences watching. Same reason why comic book adaptations vary as I wasn't strictly on movies.

Hell, Planet of the Apes did this too.

No it isn't. Spider-Man has been retconned and rebooted several times. All comics have. All forms of media have. Pokemon is not an exception. Am I gonna miss Brock and Misty? Yeah sure, but complaining about it isn't gonna change anything. Just don't watch it if it rustles your jimmies.

No it isn't. Spider-Man has been retconned and rebooted several times. All comics have. All forms of media have. Pokemon is not an exception. Am I gonna miss Brock and Misty? Yeah sure, but complaining about it isn't gonna change anything. Just don't watch it if it rustles your jimmies.

I would have really liked a nicely animated retelling of the early anime stuff. Being a bit disappointed and confused seems normal, but you're right ive spent too much time complaining about it.

Boss Doggie

you really don't think it was misleading?

considering that right off the bat it uses different artstyle and have different perspective on things from the teaser, yeah

I mean I understand the disappointment, but at the same time it's also not the studio's fault

rulerk1

im probably late with this but just looked at Marshadow's stats and wow is it good. It's signature attack is also good. Shocked they would allow a poke this gen to not have some lacking stat. Tho it is a mythical so i guess it's not too surprising. VGC Champion it is!

Boss Doggie

im probably late with this but just looked at Marshadow's stats and wow is it good. It's signature attack is also good. Shocked they would allow a poke this gen to not have some lacking stat. Tho it is a mythical so i guess it's not too surprising. VGC Champion it is!

what's unique about Marshadow is usually the Pokemon of its archetype have the balanced rounded stats, in its case it has a speedy physical attacker build

JoeM86

Talonflame, the guy's Gogoat, actually all those miscellaneous pokemon in that Zygarde special

eh? Which Talonflame?

Also, even if there were Pokémon which "died", which I disagree with per se, this episode dealt with death in a massive way, dealing with the mourning and loss experienced by it. It wasn't just "oh that happened", and that's why people are shocked and think of it as well done.

Boss Doggie

eh? Which Talonflame?

Also, even if there were Pokémon which "died", which I disagree with per se, this episode dealt with death in a massive way, dealing with the mourning and loss experienced by it. It wasn't just "oh that happened", and that's why people are shocked and think of it as well done.

I forgot if it was a Talonflame or a Pidgeot, but I'm pretty sure it was a Talonflame. The hero's Talonflame got beamed by Zygarde, turned into stone, then crashed.

And I'm not discounting the episode, like I said it's one of the few well done SM episodes (I don't watch SM but when certain scenes are shown to me I checked them out). I'm just saying that death being handled with isn't really a new thing.

JoeM86

I forgot if it was a Talonflame or a Pidgeot, but I'm pretty sure it was a Talonflame. The hero's Talonflame got beamed by Zygarde, turned into stone, then crashed.

And I'm not discounting the episode, like I said it's one of the few well done SM episodes (I don't watch SM but when certain scenes are shown to me I checked them out). I'm just saying that death being handled with isn't really a new thing.

The thing is, none of your examples actually denoted death. It was presumed or turned to stone which is the anime cop-out. This, however, is blatant.

Boss Doggie

The thing is, none of your examples actually denoted death. It was presumed or turned to stone which is the anime cop-out. This, however, is blatant.

I mean, they never showed them reviving. The ones who were revived were pretty much shown, and only in the first XY movie. In fact that's the whole plot of the special was the hero trekking to see Xerneas to revive his loved one only for Xerneas to snub him and he dies watching over the statue.

And again, we got Espurr's owner, and that Pikachu guy's wife, death's treated seriously.

JoeM86

I mean, they never showed them reviving. The ones who were revived were pretty much shown, and only in the first XY movie. In fact that's the whole plot of the special was the hero trekking to see Xerneas to revive his loved one only for Xerneas to snub him and he dies watching over the statue.

And again, we got Espurr's owner, and that Pikachu guy's wife, death's treated seriously.

Yes, but this is the first time that a Pokémon has outright blatantly died in the main anime. That's what people are making a big deal about this.

Why are you trying to handwave it away? Is your disdain for the Sun & Moon anime that high?

Popplio being untrusting of humans got me, but this was the first episode that really focused on the "feels" so to say. Hopefully its not just a one off because those kinds of episodes were some of the most memorable in the original show.

Boss Doggie

I'm not handwaving it though, I'm just saying death has occurred in Pokemon, even blatantly. And like I said, I don't like SM but I do respect that episode. It's the fans (and newbies) that are irking me.

Hey fellas/gals, what's going on?

Use to post here often and came to see what the community was up to.

How's the anime? (Sun/Moon) I quit after Ash lost the Kalos league but my kid is slowly dragging me back in with season 1.

What's the general and your consensus on Sun/Moon games now that they've been out for awhile? I loved the SP campaign but hate the way they handle 6v6 battles. I love the way they did it in Kalos and ORAS with the PSS. I always got battle request while playing single player and always challenge some random who wanted to do 6v6 battles. Honestly the way 6v6 is handle in Sun/Moon is the only reason I stop playing it. I would've had many more play threw if they installed a better system or kept the PSS.

Thoughts on the new Pokémon and Ultra Beast? My problem this gen wasn't the Pokémon and their designs it was their base stats. I love Mareanie and a couple of others but I didn't like how slow this gen was.

Any rumors about Pokémon on the Switch? I'll take links or insider info threw PM and promise not to say anything! (I know my chances of getting inside info are less than zero. Worth a try though.) But seriously, I haven't been following news on this.

Macka

Hey fellas/gals, what's going on?
I'm in the same boat as you. Just popping in to see if anything's happening.

I'm in a weird place with Pokemon at the moment, where I don't know if I can keep going with it. I hated Moon. My playthrough was pretty much a chore from start to end, and by end I mean beating
Ultra Beat Lusamine
because I dropped it after that. I didn't like how hand-holdy it was, how empty the areas were, how forced the story was (if you're going to put a focus on the story, it shouldn't be trash), and most of all I just didn't connect to any of the new Pokemon/Ultra Beasts. The main appeal of the games for me was using a team of Pokemon that I like, so it was hard to be invested when that wasn't possible. I agree that the low base stats of the new Pokemon was also a source of frustration, especially coupled with the SOS mechanic.

It's a strange feeling, considering I've been a massive fan since the beginning.

Mr-Joker

Banned
How's the anime? (Sun/Moon) I quit after Ash lost the Kalos league but my kid is slowly dragging me back in with season 1.

I haven't watched it since after Ash caught Rockruff but it's okay but the slice of life angle and Ash going to school isn't cutting it for me and I miss him going on adventure through the region and challenging Gym Leaders.

In fact as far I am aware Ash hasn't even left Mele Mele Island.

What's the general and your consensus on Sun/Moon games now that they've been out for awhile? I loved the SP campaign but hate the way they handle 6v6 battles. I love the way they did it in Kalos and ORAS with the PSS. I always got battle request while playing single player and always challenge some random who wanted to do 6v6 battles. Honestly the way 6v6 is handle in Sun/Moon is the only reason I stop playing it. I would've had many more play threw if they installed a better system or kept the PSS.

Personally I felt that Alola is an interesting region than Kalos with interesting NPC, lore and with a Legendary Pokémon Box mascot that actually plays a role in the game and not as a battery like the gen 6 counterpart.

However the game is far to liner, which gets worse in the later part of the game so that sense of exploration isn't there.

I also felt that some of the story pacing isn't done well like Gladeon and I hated Island Trial with a passion as I didn't find battling wild Pokémon that I can not capture or run engaging.

The game is also far too easy, with cave design being brain dead simple which makes me wonder to why did Game Freak even bother creating the Pokéride system if they are going to do anything with it and throughout the adventure no trainers ever once have Pokémon more than 2 which got annoying went facing certain class of trainers as they were suppose to be harder to fight but Game Freak actively went out of their way to make the Pokémon series devoid of challenge.

Now I get that Pokémon is an all age series and that making a game harder would put off the younger players but that doesn't excuse the fact that Game Freak could have easily gotten around this fact bring and expanding challenge mode from Black and White 2 to give the expert players a challenge.

They also need to stop treating their audience like idiots and just let them play the game rather than handhold them to the end as that is not how I want to play Pokémon.

Thoughts on the new Pokémon and Ultra Beast? My problem this gen wasn't the Pokémon and their designs it was their base stats. I love Mareanie and a couple of others but I didn't like how slow this gen was.

I liked the new Alola Pokémon, found Ultra Beast to be disappointing as they hyped up them up prior to the game release giving me the impression that they play a big role in the game when it turns out that they are barely in the story, with Nihilego being the only one you fight during the story the rest come post game and just feel tacked on.

As for Alolan form, don't give a crap about them as they are straight up gen 1 pandering just recoloured and retyped version of Kanto Pokémon that don't really differ much from the original, so I don't view them as new Pokémon and won't be adding them to my team in the future.

Any rumors about Pokémon on the Switch? I'll take links or insider info threw PM and promise not to say anything! (I know my chances of getting inside info are less than zero. Worth a try though.) But seriously, I haven't been following news on this.

Well just a few days ago Marshadow was unveiled, so gen 7 seem to be a much shorter generation than expected and we should get some news of "Pokémon Star" sometime later this year.*

*I am just speculating as I don't have any insider knowledge and there is a high chance I could be wrong.

It's a strange feeling, considering I've been a massive fan since the beginning.

I feel ya, I felt that way since I was disappointed with Gen 6 and while gen 7 did improve some thing in my eye it didn't capture the same level of excitement that I had when playing gen 1-5.

The series is heading in a different direction than I want it to and I fear that if it continues that way I am unlikely to stick around for future games.

brinstar

I liked Sun and Moon well enough but it felt like it just didn't push everything enough. I liked the focus on the story and characters but the constant repeated NPC animations gets annoying. Also the trial stuff was neat but I'd honestly rather go back to gyms.

The Alolan variant idea was awesome but in practice it's hilariously limited. I can understand restricting it to Gen 1 Pokemon but even so why is it such a small number?

Why are the new Pokemon so rare and why is there so little of them?

And finally can we please eject the Festival Plaza into the sun?

I thought S/M was much better than X/Y but the series has still felt "off" to me since the DS titles.

we're back to silly/pointless episodes for the anime for a while. I guess there wont be much to say for a few weeks.
Like I don't even want to watch the next episode going by the preview.

Kyzer

Banned
Gen 7 needs to be extended, Stars makes too much sense.

I think it could be Sun 2/Moon 2, it will have been enough time by the fall. New 3DS + Switch maybe?

brinstar

I was wondering if there was enough time left to announce a game for this year but wow the gap between announcement to release for B2/W2 was really short. (in Japan)

I was wondering if there was enough time left to announce a game for this year but wow the gap between announcement to release for B2/W2 was really short. (in Japan)

ORAS was randomly announced in May 2014 and released that November. If Stars is a thing, I'm guessing they'll do the same, since TPC likely wouldn't want an announcement like that mixed in with all the other E3 news.

brinstar

ORAS was randomly announced in May 2014 and released that November. If Stars is a thing, I'm guessing they'll do the same, since TPC likely wouldn't want an announcement like that mixed in with all the other E3 news.

I'm really hoping. Switch has rapidly become my favorite thing to play games on, I want Pokemon on this as soon as possible haha.

JoeM86

I imagine they may give us the heads up about a reveal this time though. Like a tweet saying "Mark your calendars, we'll have a special announcement on ____"

Slermy

Hey guys, I could use some guidance. I have a Marowak with both Skull Bash and Rage. I'm assuming neither move is worthwhile? The ability is Lightningrod.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Gen 7 needs to be extended, Stars makes too much sense.

I think it could be Sun 2/Moon 2, it will have been enough time by the fall. New 3DS + Switch maybe?

Well whatever the next Pokémon game will be I just hope that it will capture the same feeling that I had when playing the gen 1-5 games, the last Pokémon game that I got excited for and enjoyed playing was when Black and White 2 released back in 2012.

I was hyped for X and Y but was crushed when the game disappointed me and I was never hyped for Sun and Moon as the series was heading in a different direction.

Hey guys, I could use some guidance. I have a Marowak with both Skull Bash and Rage. I'm assuming neither move is worthwhile? The ability is Lightningrod.

Need more info to go on, like what gen, which variant Marowak, is it Kanto or Alolan form, is it for in-game or competitive team.

But either way both moves are terrible, tough rage has it uses early game as it raises the Pokémon attack if they get hit.

Ok so in the next few weeks/ month if we dont get news about Pokemon no game this year

I'm thinking they might just skip this year anyways, even if that wasn't in the original plans. I didn't expect Marshadow this year at all, was expecting it to be released next year with its own movie and this year would have been Pikashu. Could see a March-November 2018 Switch release happening now, to be honest. They could even add some more event Pokemon and hide them considering the Switch isn't really hacked yet (to my knowledge).

They could also do a third game or Sun 2 Moon 2 on the 3ds late this year or in January still, but any later than that and we'll end up with a lot of complaints about making games for old hardware like there were with BW2 on the DS in 2012.

SleepehSheep

Neo Member
DLS3yCs.jpg

My wife made new versions of her Kanto starters this weekend. 7 years apart.

Assuming Marshadow isn't being distributed with the new movie, I think they might pull a Genesect and distribute it later this year close to the release of a new game. Then next year's movie will star Necrozma and whatever new form it may get, leaving 2018 with no new game. Though it does break the the usual tradition of a new Pokemon starring in a movie, it's already been broken with the Genesect and Victini movies. 2019 will likely be the usual "older Pokemon stars with next gen Pokemon/form".

I'm in the same boat as you. Just popping in to see if anything's happening.

I'm in a weird place with Pokemon at the moment, where I don't know if I can keep going with it. I hated Moon. My playthrough was pretty much a chore from start to end, and by end I mean beating
Ultra Beat Lusamine
because I dropped it after that. I didn't like how hand-holdy it was, how empty the areas were, how forced the story was (if you're going to put a focus on the story, it shouldn't be trash), and most of all I just didn't connect to any of the new Pokemon/Ultra Beasts. The main appeal of the games for me was using a team of Pokemon that I like, so it was hard to be invested when that wasn't possible. I agree that the low base stats of the new Pokemon was also a source of frustration, especially coupled with the SOS mechanic.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. One part I hated was the fact that I was stuck with the starting Pokémon for so long and I couldn't do what I did in X/Y and trade in a egg or take a Pokémon I prepped I had waiting in Poke Bank. The based stats left me so sour with Rowlet final evo. The story for me felt decent to good at times considering its a Pokémon game. The thing is that these games are targeted at kids younger then you and me so the story I feel will always decent to good at best. I feel that the Rottom dex should've been used to expand the world we're playing it. It would've been the perfect tool to manage side quest.

Hey, at least we got Mareanie this gen.

I haven't watched it since after Ash caught Rockruff but it's okay but the slice of life angle and Ash going to school isn't cutting it for me and I miss him going on adventure through the region and challenging Gym Leaders.

In fact as far I am aware Ash hasn't even left Mele Mele Island.

Personally I felt that Alola is an interesting region than Kalos with interesting NPC, lore and with a Legendary Pokémon Box mascot that actually plays a role in the game and not as a battery like the gen 6 counterpart.

However the game is far to liner, which gets worse in the later part of the game so that sense of exploration isn't there.

I also felt that some of the story pacing isn't done well like Gladeon and I hated Island Trial with a passion as I didn't find battling wild Pokémon that I can not capture or run engaging.

The game is also far too easy, with cave design being brain dead simple which makes me wonder to why did Game Freak even bother creating the Pokéride system if they are going to do anything with it and throughout the adventure no trainers ever once have Pokémon more than 2 which got annoying went facing certain class of trainers as they were suppose to be harder to fight but Game Freak actively went out of their way to make the Pokémon series devoid of challenge.

Now I get that Pokémon is an all age series and that making a game harder would put off the younger players but that doesn't excuse the fact that Game Freak could have easily gotten around this fact bring and expanding challenge mode from Black and White 2 to give the expert players a challenge.

They also need to stop treating their audience like idiots and just let them play the game rather than handhold them to the end as that is not how I want to play Pokémon.

I liked the new Alola Pokémon, found Ultra Beast to be disappointing as they hyped up them up prior to the game release giving me the impression that they play a big role in the game when it turns out that they are barely in the story, with Nihilego being the only one you fight during the story the rest come post game and just feel tacked on.

As for Alolan form, don't give a crap about them as they are straight up gen 1 pandering just recoloured and retyped version of Kanto Pokémon that don't really differ much from the original, so I don't view them as new Pokémon and won't be adding them to my team in the future.

Well just a few days ago Marshadow was unveiled, so gen 7 seem to be a much shorter generation than expected and we should get some news of "Pokémon Star" sometime later this year.*

*I am just speculating as I don't have any insider knowledge and there is a high chance I could be wrong.

I feel ya, I felt that way since I was disappointed with Gen 6 and while gen 7 did improve some thing in my eye it didn't capture the same level of excitement that I had when playing gen 1-5.

The series is heading in a different direction than I want it to and I fear that if it continues that way I am unlikely to stick around for future games.

You posts and responses are usually well thought out compared to mine.. lol.. lets do this.

-Anime

Thanks for the input. Knowing that I won't go out my way to watch any of episodes. Instead I'll wait until whenever Disney XD decides to release new episodes on their streaming app and I'll watch it with my kids casually.

-Difficulty

Playing the OG Gen 1 and 2 then taking a break only to come back to the difficulty of Gen 6 was something. I had to tell myself this Gen is just about a Journey with my favorite Pokémon which felt sad at that time. I was hoping Gen 7 would be at least a little more difficult but... NOPE!!!! If they would've kept the PSS or online features from Gen 6 it wouldn't have bother me as much. Game Freak decided to do this dumb Festival BS where I can't get a 6V6 battle! Man I hated that change. It takes me out my journey to get a decent battle. Its also why I stop Playing Sun and Moon. (I consider battling against other players part of my main quest for single player.)

-Totem Pokémon and Gyms

I completely and utterly agree. It feels like Game Freak meant for Totem Pokémon to be epic encounters but all it felt like I was battling a wild Pokémon that has a Plus 1 to it's stats.

-Story

What's sucks is that this story could've been incredibly unique and different. "Hey you young trainers! We're building a league! (it'll be behind the scenes and you'll have no hand in helping) isn't it exciting!'' *Us at the time* YEAH!!!!!!

-Alolan Forms

I see what you're saying but I disagree. Alolan forms at worse feels half done. I once said on a debate I had here on Gaf that if Alolan forms isn't new then show another Gen where you can use a Ice Fairy Fox. I'll say this again "Mega Evolutions and Regional variants should have a Sub species and Mage evolution page in the Poke Dex. Meaning if you caught a regular Vulpix it should be on the main page in the Poke Dex, if you caught a Alolan Vulpix it should have a entry in a regional variant page in the dex, and if you Mega Evolve a Ninetales there should be a Mega Evolution page in the Poke dex. ( I know there's no Ninetales Mega.) I really like Alolan Muk.

-Future Direction

In the end I think Alola is going to be its own unique region and somethings won't carry over. Alola is based off of Hawaii and Hawaii is different from any where else in the world so I feels things like Totem Pokémon wont carry on past this gen. Can you imagine Totem Pokémon in Unova which is based off of New York? I'll have you know that I was born and raised in the South Bronx and if you told some of the guys I use to run with back then that there's a over grown wild Pokémon that starts off the battle with a plus one in its stats they would capture it and sell it to feed their families or buy a new pair of Jordans. You never know with that group of guys.

(By the by, my daughter asked about that trainer whose Charizard that has that condition where he reverts. lol... She thinks your story is different and cool.)

I liked Sun and Moon well enough but it felt like it just didn't push everything enough. I liked the focus on the story and characters but the constant repeated NPC animations gets annoying. Also the trial stuff was neat but I'd honestly rather go back to gyms.

The Alolan variant idea was awesome but in practice it's hilariously limited. I can understand restricting it to Gen 1 Pokemon but even so why is it such a small number?

Why are the new Pokemon so rare and why is there so little of them?

And finally can we please eject the Festival Plaza into the sun?

I thought S/M was much better than X/Y but the series has still felt "off" to me since the DS titles.

Can we eject Festival Plaza into the Sun? Yes, yes we can. I hate that Game Freak chose that crap as the PSS successor. The fact that they separated the Multiplayer from the single player is why I stopped playing this gen and only had one play threw of Pokémon Moon. I like being challenge 6V6 by randoms as I'm going about my journey.

I see Alolan forms or Regional Variants as a way for them to "add new" Pokémon in future remakes and this is them testing them out. Like I said above it feels half done.

JoeM86

Assuming Marshadow isn't being distributed with the new movie, I think they might pull a Genesect and distribute it later this year close to the release of a new game. Then next year's movie will star Necrozma and whatever new form it may get, leaving 2018 with no new game. Though it does break the the usual tradition of a new Pokemon starring in a movie, it's already been broken with the Genesect and Victini movies. 2019 will likely be the usual "older Pokemon stars with next gen Pokemon/form".

Why wouldn't it be distributed with the movie?

Puruzi

Banned
I pretty much loved everything about Sun and Moon except the festival plaza. PSS was so much better, it needs to come back in the next game.

I pretty much loved everything about Sun and Moon except the festival plaza. PSS was so much better, it needs to come back in the next game.

Yeah agreed. I loved the ease in which you could get battle ready Pokes bred and trained in a pretty quick fashion. Now that it's just online battling till the next game I wish there was more end game content.

But I've gotten over 270 hours from a $40 game which is one of the many reasons to love this series.

Top Bottom