• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Puruzi

Banned
tumblr_op2uf3nYU81vvuksdo2_540.gif

Andrefpvs

Just finished watching the XYZ series for the first time. It was very good, and it shows what the anime can accomplish when it pursues actual plot points instead of the usual routine.

I'm looking forward to the English release of Sun and Moon, and I'm sure I'll love it from the little I've seen. But in a way it's going to suck to probably never see Serena and the others again.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Just finished watching the XYZ series for the first time. It was very good, and it shows what the anime can accomplish when it pursues actual plot points instead of the usual routine.

I'm looking forward to the English release of Sun and Moon, and I'm sure I'll love it from the little I've seen. But in a way it's going to suck to probably never see Serena and the others again.

really sucks that the higher ups don't want Ash to win

oh well, he got the girl in XY continuity

Hey guys been awhile for awhile playing switch and my wife giving birth to our third child. Any news on the hidden abilities for sun/moon starters? Also I just ordered a new ash greninja figure and will get it tomorrow. I'm so hyped lol
MifVXBv.jpg

Busaiku

With new episodes not airing in the US, don't really have too much to discuss.
I watched the Japanese for some bit, but I fell behind, and don't feel like keeping up with it anymore.

The Disney XD stuff is so dumb.

I have been going to my local TCG and VG events lately.
Really sucks that VG people don't play more casually offline, and the local tournaments don't get too many people either, considering there's only 1 person running VG events in the Houston area.
Most league challenges for TCG get like 20 - 30 people, with dozens every month, but the VG stuff gets less with only 1 a month.

Busaiku

In most cases, we would have a Pokémon game announced by this time.
If not a main game, a higher profile spinoff.
Since the latter basically got replaced with lower effort mobile projects, there's been like nothing to look forward to.

Boss Doggie

so apparently people still think Lucario is flavor of the month/manufactured popularity/forced by gamefreak

Boss Doggie

Dunno if I mentioned it but Ash-Greninja is a cool name even if it's accociated with the eternal holder of the L.

I'd excuse XY Ash honestly. His main enemies are the executives. They even had that "damn, Ash probably would have beaten me" shit with Alain for some odd reason lol

Was looking back and ORAS got announced on 7th May. I know there was some detective-GAF shit going on in the Media Create thread that may indicate there being another Direct very soon, but it's Golden Week in Japan, so I wouldn't expect anything until next week at the earliest. Nintendo haven't even revealed their E3 plans yet, but I feel like that could happen this week due to it being an NoA thing.

To be honest, I'd be fine with there being no game this year. There's always at least a year break in each generation (which I think will be next year anyway). The localization catching up created the perception that Pokemon is annual, which is likely why a lot of people lost their minds when nothing happened in 2015. I'm betting a lot of those are the ones constantly posting about Sinnoh remakes on the official Facebook/Twitter accounts. Hoenn remakes skipped a generation, so I wouldn't be so certain on Sinnoh remakes just yet.

I'm wondering if it can make it to 20 million or not.

I can't see it missing Diamond and Pearl, short of Stars absolutely snapping its legs.

I don't know about 20 million. Like you said, it would probably depend on Stars getting people on the Switch wagon. It's supposed to be exclusive, so maybe non-Switch owners will still carry Sun/Moon past Diamond/Pearl and Ruby/Sapphire. Gen I/II are obviously untouchable unless a miracle happens.

Boss Doggie

I haven't seen it. What exactly did he say?

actually correction, less of a final ep, more of "final appearance of Alain"

I forgot which ep, but basically after everyone receives a medal from saving Kalos Alain had that line thinking Ash would have beaten him and his actions in the finale makes him the true champion. Like it's some sneaky line the writers put in.

Kyzer

Banned
so what do you think guys, is stars about to be announced?

the stars are certainly aligning, but its abruptness worries me

I'd be vaguely astonished if it wasn't announced this month.

I'd have been predicting something going on this year without the Eurogamer report, in fairness. The reveal schedule's just wacky this time out.

Recently got back in to Pokemon after being a super lapsed Pokemon gamer and I'm loving it. Started up Fire Red as I have fond memories of the originals and missed the game back when it came out. Seriously forgot how joyful and addictive the games are.

Only ever played Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire and now Fire Red. I think of Gold/Silver as two of the best games I've ever played.

I take it the 3DS is where the games become 3D? Whilst the DS games follow the same simplistic overhead graphics? Quickly Googling the series and looking at screenshots this seems to be the case. Are the DS games backwards compatible on the 3DS?

What would be the next logical game to jump to after Fire Red - am I right in thinking it'd be Diamond/Pearl? Any insight would be appreciated!

I take it the 3DS is where the games become 3D? Whilst the DS games follow the same simplistic overhead graphics? Quickly Googling the series and looking at screenshots this seems to be the case. Are the DS games backwards compatible on the 3DS?

Yes to all.

What would be the next logical game to jump to after Fire Red - am I right in thinking it'd be Diamond/Pearl? Any insight would be appreciated!
I would go Platinum over D/P, it fixed a bunch of issues that D/P had. It might be going for quite a bit of money though, so keep that in mind. HG/SS is a remake of G/S in the Platinum engine and is highly regarded as one of the best games in the franchise (maybe not in this particular community, however), but again is massively overpriced due to demand.

After that is Gen 5, which is kind of like R/B and G/S where the second game has an expanded Pokedex and timeline progression. Going White/White 2 gets you both of the box legendaries, but going White/Black 2 would get you all of the version exclusives except the box legendaries and one roaming legendary (assuming you don't want to buy Dream Radar for it).

GoldStarz

Recently got back in to Pokemon after being a super lapsed Pokemon gamer and I'm loving it. Started up Fire Red as I have fond memories of the originals and missed the game back when it came out. Seriously forgot how joyful and addictive the games are.

Only ever played Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire and now Fire Red. I think of Gold/Silver as two of the best games I've ever played.

FRLG -> Platinum -> HGSS -> BW -> B2W2 -> SuMo (skip Gen 6 unless you've got a real attachment to Ruby/Sapphire, then play ORAS)

Thanks guys - really appreciate you taking the time to respond with the insight and advice. Seems like I have a good game-route moving forward. Fire Red has rekindled my love for the games so I'll definitely be following your advice in choosing the next games to play. Thanks again!

Kyzer

Banned
Maybe regional variants will get new iterations in remakes too like megas in ORAS. I would love sinnohan forms in Illustrious Diamond and Iridescent Pearl

I'm currently playing threw I am Satsuna on my Switch and all I can think to myself is "man, This isn't Pokémon. Please let that Pokémon Stars for the Switch be true."

With all the rumors that were created from the leaks that some journalist got true I think it's definitely possible that we may get a announcement soon. It's more of a question on if GameFreak/Nintendo bucks past trends and save the announcement for E3 or they announce it this month and shows off gameplay at E3.

I would be fine with that, though honestly it wouldn't have made sense if they just happened to appeared in the wild outside of Alola unless they are confined within a safari park.

Yes and no depending on the Pokémon and the lore why they changed in that region. For example:

Higley likely

Alolan Muk - You should be able to find Alolan Muk in any region that uses Grimers and Muk to consume their waste.

Alolan Raticate - any Region that has a Yungoose or any other Ratata Predator hunting them during the day forcing them to take to the night.

Highly unlikely

Alolan Sandshrew - it took in this form because of the active volcanoes being assholes in the desert area of Alola so it went to the mountains.

Alolan Raichu - Pikachu ate some Alolan Yum Yums and evolved into this.

Questionable

Alolan Marowak - Technically this Mother of 1 first appeared in the first gen at Lavander Town. So this is suppose to be a Kanton Marowak?

Alolan Exeggutor - The Sun is everywhere. Who can predict how this thing will evolve region to region?

It comes down to how Game Freak wants to build the lore threw the Pokédex. I can totally understand them wanting to create new regional forms so they don't want to dip into the Alolan ones so soon.

Put down Sun/Moon when Zelda came out and I just picked it up again trying to complete my living dex. I've got everything up to this new generation and was wondering if anyone could help me out here. I'm looking for:

-Turtonator (I could probably find an extra Drampa)
-Buzzwole (I have the Moon exclusive equivalent to trade)
-Kartana (I have the moon exclusive equivalent to trade)

I'd be eternally grateful, but I don't expect anyone to be willing to trade:

-Type:Null or Silvally
-Cosmog
-Cosmoem
-Solgaleo
-Diancie

^I have some extra legendaries from the older games that I would be willing to trade depending on what you're looking for.

Man they made the living Dex extremely difficult to pull off in this game with these one off mons that evolve.

Anyone think CoroCoro leaks will reveal anything new on Pokémon Stars this month?

Way off topic

I just watched a lady do a full blown Olympic sprint in 5 inch heels and held that for about 30 meters. Fucking amazed right now.

GoldStarz

Anyone think CoroCoro leaks will reveal anything new on Pokémon Stars this month?

Way off topic

I just watched a lady do a full blown Olympic sprint in 5 inch heels and held that for about 30 meters. Fucking amazed right now.

I feel like they're more likely to keep an actual game announcement in-house these days rather than spilling the details in CoroCoro.

I looked back to check and ORAS was actually shown in Corocoro the week after the games were announced.

TPC should be well aware of leaks by now though. ORAS was officially announced on the 7th, so there was no way it would've leaked early.

If they're going to announce this close to Corocoro's usual release, then you'd think that TPC wouldn't give them anything until next month. Though I wouldn't be hugely shocked if they mess up.

wmlk

Pokémon game promotion is a worldwide campaign nowadays. The times when Coro Coro would reveal a mainline game are long gone.

CoroCoro hype was the best hype.

The fervent discussion on magazine scans was amazing. I wish they still did something similar :(

I remember how excited people used to get at the sudden drop of a trailer on Oha Suta or something similar.

lycanroc biting rockruff in the next episode looks a bit wack
if they're actually going to portray moves like their descriptions it starts looking abusive

its kind of like that one scene in origins episode 1... you know the one
does anyone actually find that appealing?

Carl7

Guys, after 8 months I am sorry to say but S/M is garbage. If they don't revamp the online and that horrible plaza I will not even touch Stars.

Top Bottom