• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

So can anyone point me to where to get those shiny Tapu Kokos?
Well, you could go back in time and to Japan, Hong Kong, or South Korea, but that would break several laws of time and space.

It's probably going to be elsewhere in a few weeks or months, but if you're impatient I'm sure there's ways to still find a Japanese one without starting an advanced science project, Pokemon isn't worth that though.

Just to be clear, I can still get a level 10 Salamence by SOS battling Bagon's right?

Cuz if not, I've wasted alot of time.
:(

If you're fighting a Bagon by the water and not on top of the cliff, you won't find one. If you managed to find the 1% chance Bagon up there, Salamence is possible to find at level 10.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I just realized the first XY movie has the first diabetic character.

Guys, after 8 months I am sorry to say but S/M is garbage. If they don't revamp the online and that horrible plaza I will not even touch Stars.

I wouldn't call it garbage, but yeah it's a pretty underwhelming game once the hype dies down.

Guys, after 8 months I am sorry to say but S/M is garbage. If they don't revamp the online and that horrible plaza I will not even touch Stars.

I really really really hate the plaza. I miss the PSS. I can't tell you how many play threw and time I've put into X/Y and ORAS because I could set it up so I'm being challenged 6V6 by randoms as I'm playing threw the main story. I also didn't have a problem finding 6V6 battles whenever I wanted them with randoms either.

If you're fighting a Bagon by the water and not on top of the cliff, you won't find one. If you managed to find the 1% chance Bagon up there, Salamence is possible to find at level 10.

I just needed to make sure because I've been at it for hours and still nothing. I ran out of healing items and Either so I lost the battle of attrition. About to start again.

Edit: Wow. I just got my Salamence on my 18th try after spending hours on it accross two days. Timid Nature too. Not too bad.

lycanroc biting rockruff in the next episode looks a bit wack
if they're actually going to portray moves like their descriptions it starts looking abusive

its kind of like that one scene in origins episode 1... you know the one
does anyone actually find that appealing?

Nah bruh Rockfuff was handlin it. Not nearly as traumatizing as generations episode 1

Firestorm

Well, you could go back in time and to Japan, Hong Kong, or South Korea, but that would break several laws of time and space.

It's probably going to be elsewhere in a few weeks or months, but if you're impatient I'm sure there's ways to still find a Japanese one without starting an advanced science project, Pokemon isn't worth that though.

I was in Japan during that promo and they were region locked :( You'll need to trade someone who had a Japanese game card to redeem.

might be a weird question, but does anyone have 100% Colosseum and XD saves? Particularly with the former, I don't really enjoy the game but would like the mons for my current gen 3 project.

Carl7

I really really really hate the plaza. I miss the PSS. I can't tell you how many play threw and time I've put into X/Y and ORAS because I could set it up so I'm being challenged 6V6 by randoms as I'm playing threw the main story. I also didn't have a problem finding 6V6 battles whenever I wanted them with randoms either.

I just needed to make sure because I've been at it for hours and still nothing. I ran out of healing items and Either so I lost the battle of attrition. About to start again.

Edit: Wow. I just got my Salamence on my 18th try after spending hours on it accross two days. Timid Nature too. Not too bad.

Pokemon is a social game to me. If it fails at being social the it fails almost entirely.

I just want a Froakie with protean. I don't care what nature or anything else I just want that ability. I miss when I had mine years ago and I want one again now that I started back up.

Thanks to a kind soul I'm much closer to complete my living dex. I've got almost everything now and was wondering if anyone could help me with the final few. I'm looking for, (and I know these are big asks):

-Type:Null or Silvally
-Cosmog
-Cosmoem
-Diancie

^I have some extra legendaries from the older games that I would be willing to trade depending on what you're looking for, and can breed anything else. In addition if your looking for a particular/rare item I can throw that in as well to sweeten the deal if that helps.

Puruzi

Banned
NwUuPet.gif

Boss Doggie

I wonder if people are still expecting Stars.

Also I don't really remember this thread being this dead, even during ORAS this was bumping.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
My biggest gaming regret was selling my copy of Heart Gold when I needed some extra cash.

Yesterday I repented and managed to snag a factory sealed Soul Silver with Amazon's 3D case. It was just sitting there, waiting for me. There is indeed such a thing called "destiny".

Can we just get a pokemon baseball spinoff anime?

Couldn't agree more, but my issues with it extend far beyond the terrible plaza.

As much as I didn't really like sun/moon as much as everyone else, it still should have won over Pokemon GO for most of those awards

Macka

I wonder if people are still expecting Stars.
I am. MCV and Eurogamer are very reputable, and it lines up with what's been said about TPC making a game for the Switch, too.

As much as I didn't really like sun/moon as much as everyone else, it still should have won over Pokemon GO for most of those awards
Awards? Not sure what you're referring to.

Your avatar shows that you're aware of the best thing Sun & Moon added, though. Alolan Vulpix and Ninetales <3

Awards? Not sure what you're referring to.

Your avatar shows that you're aware of the best thing Sun & Moon added, though. Alolan Vulpix and Ninetales <3

5e32592c82acef740661b7da5a83d61ca4d8dddf_hq.gif

Its a great spin on a classic design :)
I dont evolve them into ninetails tho since it reminds me of Disney animal syndrome where they're expressive and cartoony when they're small, then they grow up into a more realistic/serious looking animal :p

The awards I was referring to is every "best handheld/mobile game" category

Macka

I dont evolve them into ninetails tho since it reminds me of Disney animal syndrome where they're expressive and cartoony when they're small, then they grow up into a more realistic/serious looking animal :p
True, but I love both designs for that reason. They offer different things.

Vulpix is adorable, while Nintetales is elegant and majestic. The same could be said for the original designs, too. They're all favourites.

True, but I love both designs for that reason. They offer different things.

Vulpix is adorable, while Nintetales is elegant and majestic. The same could be said for the original designs, too. They're all favourites.

I cant really say the same about the other new variants since some of them seem like OCs from deviant art, other than maybe Raichu.

Z moves sounded amazing on paper, giving unevolved Pokemon a big super move to use.
They're comically silly looking, while the games plot was melodramatic as hell so the game might be the most tonally inconsistent Pokemon yet.

"pokemon aren't for collecting" anti-objectification speech might be the dumbest dialogue in any jrpg.
This is a game where I was encouraged to add gods and other dimension creatures to my collection.
A game where you're encouraged to trade away or breed away your "friends" just for stats.

it would be like playing Doom 2016 and being told "guns are bad"

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I finally finished Pokémon Moon and I am glad that I played it as it allowed me to take another look at gen 7 long after the launch period.

It's no secret that I really dislike Gen 6, I was very vocal about how I found it to be disappointing as I was expecting so much after being blown away by gen 4 and 5 but alas my expectation was unmet and it felt like that the series regressed hard while resorting to gen 1 pandering.

When I first played Pokémon Sun I remember loving it and praised it highly over gen 6 but in the month before playing Pokémon Moon, I couldn't help but think if I was praising it so much was because I wanted it to be better than gen 6 and would take any food scrapping especially when I knew that Pokémon Sun was not perfect game and did fall short off gen 4 and 5.

But when I played Pokémon my fear was unfounded as gen 7 is a major improvement over the bland gen 6, like for starter trainers not only have 3D models but do animation at the start of the battle, which I felt is the natural progression from animated trainer sprites that Black and White 2 introduced rather than the stock static image that gen 6 used.

But the progression goes on a deeper level as little touches like a trainer standing in the field throwing a Pokéball felt so much lively than what Gen 6 did which was having them stand still, which was fine when the series was in the 2D era but not acceptable in move to 3D.

Alola was also a much more interesting region to explore and did not feel like a paint by number region, furthermore the region had something that Kalos did not have and that was scale so when I was climbing up a mountain it felt like that I was going up so it was clear that Game Freak had mastered 3D environment.

However Kalos has one advantage over Alola and that it felt like a bigger region whereas Alola felt small and compressed with areas being isolated in its own bubble rather than being part of an inter-connective region.

As I did not enjoy Island Trial in Pokémon Sun I was worried that it would affect my playthrough in Pokémon Moon and while I still don't care for them because they are so far spread out and for the most part short it was bearable to some degree but I much rather prefer doing gym challenges.

Another flaw of Sun and Moon is that the level curve is pretty bad towards the end with levels jumping in places and grinding for the Elite 4 was more frustrating than grinding in gen 2 due to Game Freak reusing the gen 5 experience formula but forgetting what made it work in gen 5, which was Audino in shaking grass. It was also annoying that Alola feels like that it has the lowest count of trainers and that even in late game they will carry two Pokémon so it felt like I saw less of my Pokémon thus making it harder for me to bond with them.

But the biggest problem is the heavy handedness of hand holding and how brain dead easy the game is at time as mentioned before trainers only carrying two Pokémon, the region dungeon is also streamline to prevent players from getting lost which I found ironic as they made a big deal of introducing Pokéride but did nothing with them. Now I get that Game Freak want to make the game easy for kids but that doesn't mean that they can't bring back challenge mode to offer veteran players a challenging game play rather than force everyone to play easy mode as it got annoying when Hau getting giving me Revives like candy when I didn't need them and I if I wanted them I would buy them myself.

But I will give credit where it's due and will say that the Alolan Pokémon league is more challenging than whatever Kalos offered and with a better champion to boot who AI really surprised me by how smart it was.

And too Game Freak credit they didn't straight up give the player a free strong Pokémon, Zygarde, they had to put in the work and collect the cells/core and wait till they reach the location to rebuild it much better to how the Hoenn remake did it with Latias/Latios, though Zygarde still feels like he was shoehorned into the game as I forgot that he was even in the game till I reached the location to rebuild him, I opted not to collect the cells and core as I was not interested.

So in summary, I really enjoyed my time with Pokémon Moon and while it isn't perfect it's a major improvement than Gen 6 and I look forward to see what "Pokémon Star" will offer and whether will it push Gen 7 into the same level as gen 4 and 5 as I believe that it has potential.

"pokemon aren't for collecting" anti-objectification speech might be the dumbest dialogue in any jrpg.
This is a game where I was encouraged to add gods and other dimension creatures to my collection.
A game where you're encouraged to trade away or breed away your "friends" just for stats.

it would be like playing Doom 2016 and being told "guns are bad"

Contex matters, Lusamine was collecting and freezing Pokémon that she judged to be beautiful rather than befriending them.

Plus in Sun and Moon any Pokémon that are in the PC end up going to Poké Pelago where they are free to relax.

As for trading well the series push hard that trading Pokémon is a way of making friends as trainers help one another and stresses how trading Pokémon is like trading memories as you will have memories of that Pokémon.

theres still no indication theyre you're friends at all other than the fact that you keep them around for the purpose of battles. Obviously her method of collecting is more fucked up, but its still crazy to me that they try to push morals in this way. This is a series marketed by slogans like "gotta catch em all" after all.

the trading memories thing sounds like a joke to me. Ive never traded or breed them away because of stats, that just seems gross no matter how you spin it.
Pelago seems like they finally realized the box system is questionable, but you're still sending them to a remote island to farm items for you while you hang out with more preferable battle pets.
The game is already difficult to suspend disbelief in terms of morality so the last thing I want to get is some melodramatic lectures from game characters.

Boss Doggie

It still blows my mind how good Pokemon's animation is and yet Dragon ball super looks like complete shit despite being the more popular anime. DBS has got to be the worse I have ever seen. No excuse why it cant look half as good as this.

Toei Animation (tm)

it's why a fucking digimon movie looks horrible to a Pokemon XY filler

Top Bottom