• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hey, I said most, not that the others weren't. They're all really bad with Ghetsis at the very least being disappointing with his constant accidental "OOPS I'M EVIL OOPS OH NO I SAID THAT OUT LOUD". He does improve quite a bit in the sequel.

Lysandre just stands out as the worst offender because they tried to hide it in the text but his design incorporates a giant, fiery arrow pointing down at him while he dresses himself in the Men's Squarehouse for Villains Collection.

I mean, how is it hidden at all? He literally outright states he has an agenda the moment he comes out.

Its amusing how the characters try to convince Lysandre that mega evolution was evidence that the world is good/beautiful, then sun/moon come along and tell you the complete opposite.

I don't think the writers even play the games.

I guess Lopunnite, Gardevoirite, and Galladite were just released to "tiny tourney" participants. I never even know these things are going on. I get so annoyed that I miss them.

How can I stay up to date on this stuff?

Also I guess Marshadow was officially revealed.

I guess Lopunnite, Gardevoirite, and Galladite were just released to "tiny tourney" participants. I never even know these things are going on. I get so annoyed that I miss them.

How can I stay up to date on this stuff?

Also I guess Marshadow was officially revealed.

The Mega Stone rewards for the competitions are early-access. Everyone gets them later via universal serial codes.

Otherwise, bookmark Serebii I guess?

Speaking of Lopunnite, how long does it usually take for the new stones to be unbanned on ranked? I had to go into Free Battle earlier and it was a mixed bag of people who know what they're doing and people who don't.

Busaiku

Speaking of Lopunnite, how long does it usually take for the new stones to be unbanned on ranked? I had to go into Free Battle earlier and it was a mixed bag of people who know what they're doing and people who don't.
Isn't ranked VGC only?
Mega Stones are banned for the year.

Isn't ranked VGC only?
Rating is Singles, Doubles, Championship(?) (Battle of Alola, tiny tourney, etc.) and Special. It's only VGC when that's what the third one is for the month.

Singles currently has Mega Sceptile's batch unbanned but not the recent ones, was wondering if it was when they get released with a code or they unlock sooner than that.

Isn't ranked VGC only?

I don't think this is true. I think Rated has the same restrictions as Battle Tree: nothing over 600 BST.

And, otherwise, nothing "illegal." I don't know when it will be updated to allow the new mega stones. I haven't tried yet...

Ironically, I've been waiting for Lopunnite!

Started Moon up and not sure how to feel. It looks nice but I'm not a huge fan of the setting, hate that I haven't really got to do anything yet, and the whole interface and everything seems slow. I'm debating on just waiting to hear more about USUM. I just did the trainer school and I just want the hand holding and scenes to end.

GoldStarz

Started Moon up and not sure how to feel. It looks nice but I'm not a huge fan of the setting, hate that I haven't really got to do anything yet, and the whole interface and everything seems slow. I'm debating on just waiting to hear more about USUM. I just did the trainer school and I just want the hand holding and scenes to end.

First Island is basically a tutorial run for some reason, unfortunately. It's gets better about it once you get to the second island.

JoeM86

Rating is Singles, Doubles, Championship(?) (Battle of Alola, tiny tourney, etc.) and Special. It's only VGC when that's what the third one is for the month.

Singles currently has Mega Sceptile's batch unbanned but not the recent ones, was wondering if it was when they get released with a code or they unlock sooner than that.

They'll unlock on the 18th

It's quieter after the media blowout that was last year (monthly event legends, preview video for S/M every two weeks, etc.), so mostly the anime and competitive battling stuff with occasional latecomers trying to get trade evolutions done.

They played upbeat music during the Stoutland death in English.
Like, why.
Lol I've seen a lot of people on twitter who don't like the current dub composer. But to be honest, TPC is being cheap in the first place by not using the original soundtrack, so I doubt they pay him that much.

They played upbeat music during the Stoutland death in English.
Like, why.

LOL
I need to see this. Like I know the dub sometimes removes music for the worse, but that scene in perticular sounds like it would be a joke.
good lord Littens voice in English is awful.

Im not sure if id call it upbeat, but everything about it was off and uncessesary. That said im sure the kids still found it sad just like the early seasons of pokemon for us.

I don't think this is true. I think Rated has the same restrictions as Battle Tree: nothing over 600 BST.

And, otherwise, nothing "illegal." I don't know when it will be updated to allow the new mega stones. I haven't tried yet...

Ironically, I've been waiting for Lopunnite!

Ranked Singles and Doubles only bans Uber Legendary Pokemon. You can still use UBs, Tapus, the regional trios and other stuff. They allow Mega Stones.

Special has different rules in each season (Battle of Alola and other stuff), like Championship battles, which has a ruleset for a whole year/season, this year being VGC17 (Doubles, Alola Dex only, banned stuff is: Mega Stones, Lunala, Solgaleo, Necrozma, mythycal Pokemon or Zygarde)

brinstar

So what y'all talking about now since Sun and Moon was out last year?

I kind of fell off this gen pretty quickly after I finished S/M and I think the Switch is mainly to blame for that lol (I did like S/M a lot though)

I haven't been following the anime or anything as much. I am excited for US/UM but I'm more excited to just move on from 3DS at this point.

StoneFox

Yeah, I don't think I'll be picking up USUM, which will be the first time in a long time that I skipped out on a game release. I really don't see the point of the new versions (granted, I have only seen the reveal trailer and know nothing else about it), it just makes the original Sun and Moon versions feel inferior when they should have been able to stand on their own.

I don't think I've EVER been as disinterested in a set of Pokémon games as I am in USUM.
Have to agree, sadly. Really Pokemon'd myself out last year and two "similar to Platinum" games aren't really going to ignite anything with me. It also doesn't help that most of the other games released this year are, like, GotG contenders.

The only thing I'm holding out for is that they're intentionally holding back a ton of info like they did with BW2 at the start (just show the box legends with new kibble on them and the titles), and those turned out to be some of the best in the series. Not trying to hype myself up with speculation, but this would be a good time to model all of the major trainers out for something like PWT as a way of future-proofing their 3D models, so hopefully something like that might happen.

Hegarol

I don't think I've EVER been as disinterested in a set of Pokémon games as I am in USUM.
Same for me. At least at the moment. The reason is basically the switch. Awesome console and I can't wait to play Pokemon on it.
I mean I will buy USUM in the end but won't play it as religiously as every other main game.

So I'm guessing that there was no preview for next year's movie at the end this time? Either that or there was but it wasn't anything substantial.

Also, a summary of the movie from Pokebeach.
It looks like Marshadow was just thrown into the movie and isn't super-relevant
. The star of next year's movie will be interesting, assuming that there is a movie next year.

that movie summary

Ash even tells Pikachu, ”I should have chosen Squirtle or Bulbasaur instead!"

wow lmao
that sounds really out of character
ash/satoshi fake dying
is par for the course though

I see a couple posts above with people saying they've never been so disinterested in a Pokemon game as USM.

I'm the opposite for sure. I am desperate for more information. I am constantly trolling reddit and even /vp/ for something to read - even fake leaks - because remaining patient is proving difficult.

I really, really like S/M, but it wasn't perfect. I get excited thinking about all the ways they could improve the game I already enjoyed and I get so stoked. I'm of the opinion that the only "essential" third versions are Emerald and Platinum, which feel small and far away now. But I have a feeling USM are going to be exactly that for me: the final revision that makes the original games feel like garbage because they're just that much better.

Please more info. :( Give more info. :(

Hydrus

Same here. Unless it has a huge postgame and some new large areas, I'm gonna pass. These small upgrades/ enhanced pokemon games just don't work for me in this day and age where there is sooooooo many new games out.

Hydrus

So I'm guessing that there was no preview for next year's movie at the end this time? Either that or there was but it wasn't anything substantial.

. The star of next year's movie will be interesting, assuming that there is a movie next year.

Meh. It just sounds like a bunch of recycled events. Disappointing.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
lmao

ridzwg.gif

Macka

I'm totally disinterested in US/UM as well.

Granted, I genuinely disliked Moon, so my perspective is probably even more negative than most. It just wasn't a fun experience. Even if they fix the obvious issues (lack of Pokemon variety, endless & painfully vapid cutscenes, total lack of postgame content)...I honestly don't think it would help. Designs make or break a generation for me. Alolan Vulpix & Ninetales are the only new Pokemon that I like, and they're not even a new species. It's hard to be invested in a new region when none of the new Pokemon really grab your eye.

The only thing that could get me excited is if they introduce a ton of Alolan variants that I actually like, but even then I think I'm probably better off just taking a long break from the series (at least as far as new games go, I still pop into OR/AS every now and again), and waiting to see how Pokemon Switch is looking when it's revealed.

I didn't like Gen V.
I loved Gen VI.
I don't like Gen VII.

Hopefully the pendulum swings back the other way again with Gen VIII.

Alolan Vulpix & Ninetales are the only new Pokemon that I like

Theyre not the only ones I liked but I did send my intentionally unevolved hall of fame vulpix(pixel) to my friend to use with the bank system in case a good game did come along.

Unless theres something I didn't know about and wont be able to get them back o_o
has anyone used the bank this way?

MAtgS

This movie just sounds completely unfocused on what it wants to be & trying to accomplish.

Between the Piplup & Twinleaf Town, it seems as though Makoto is gonna be the female protagonist of the Gen 4. They're giving Dawn the Lyra treatment?

It's one of those weird things for me where the games are fine, my disinterest comes from the system they're launching on.

I liked Sun and Moon which is a down grade coming off of Gen 6 which I loved. The reason I loved Gen 6 and just liked Gen 7 was for one simple feature Gen 6 had and Gen 7 didn't which was the PSS. Making it easy for me to find 6V6 multiplayer battles extended the life of XY and ORAS for me. Easy multiplayer battles lead me to constantly breed and train up different Pokémon. I easily put over 1200 hours into X,Y, and Alpha Saphire. Where I just put in a combined 112 hours into two play threws of Pokémon Sun and I sold my Pokémon Moon copy. I even deleted the data of my second play threw.

I'm really interested in seeing new info on US/UM because I really do love this series but it's on Game Freak to sell me on going back to my (now daughter's) 3DS and buy a game for it.

What time frame did Game Freak start showing off/releasing info for Pokémon Sum/Moon?

Didn't it start the August of last year? If so that's the earliest I'm expecting to see info on US/UM.

I even highly doubt this but maybe they want to hold off on talking about US/UM as long as possible because of the initial reaction to the announcement.

Busaiku

There's this Youtube channel that is super clickbaitey with various clips of Sun and Moon, which try and bring up harem antics, and features a triggered Serena on all the thumbnails.
I like this channel.

Top Bottom