• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Corocoro will likely have leaked by Tuesday. Even if there's nothing in there, we'll probably get more info this month anyway.

Extra games in a generation tend to have shorter info cycles but even then, the first few weeks after the announcement are pretty quiet.

Aleh

Between the Piplup & Twinleaf Town, it seems as though Makoto is gonna be the female protagonist of the Gen 4. They're giving Dawn the Lyra treatment?

No way, with how popular Dawn is. Makoto is really just an easier way to market gen 4 (even if the gen 4 remakes are still far away they probably want to slowly get them back into people's minds early on I guess) since putting Dawn in that alternate story would have REALLY made no sense, even by this movie's standards

How come there have been so few event/giveaways in the West. :( Obviously it makes sense that Japan gets a lot more, but there have been lots of cool handouts since the generation started and all we've gotten is Magearna. And maybe a Rockruff? I don't even remember now.

I know some countries got a Shiny Tapu Koko and a Shiny Magikarp. I want cool stuff too. Japan is about to get a Mew as well. I want that stuff. Give Pokémon pls.

How come there have been so few event/giveaways in the West. :( Obviously it makes sense that Japan gets a lot more, but there have been lots of cool handouts since the generation started and all we've gotten is Magearna. And maybe a Rockruff? I don't even remember now.

I know some countries got a Shiny Tapu Koko and a Shiny Magikarp. I want cool stuff too. Japan is about to get a Mew as well. I want that stuff. Give Pokémon pls.

Yar, it's really annoying.

From what I understand, TPC is generally happy to do giveaways if distributors are interested and able to do them.

Japan has 7-11, Pokemon Centers, movie theaters, etc. and there are a LOT more passionate Pokemon fans over there as well.

Meanwhile, over in the West, only places like Gamestop seem keen and able.

Still, this doesn't excuse the lack of Wi-Fi events. We got Munchlax nearly a year ago and not much else except mega stones, which are pretty cool I guess.

Joe said on Twitter that he found the Corocoro cover and there's nothing about USUM on it, so the wait continues.

A lot of them are tied into the anime/movies, and some are for Japanese holidays like the yearly Jirachi event. The main problem is that the international-specific events are underwhelming in comparison, like that Lycanroc event, which by the way had been the only event this year outside of Asia until last week.

JoeM86

A lot of them are tied into the anime/movies, and some are for Japanese holidays like the yearly Jirachi event. The main problem is that the international-specific events are underwhelming in comparison, like that Lycanroc event which by the way had been the only event this year outside of Asia until last week.

This is a thing people seem to keep missing. Context is key. That's why we haven't had the Cap Pikachu or Marshadow yet, and why most distributions don't make it out of Japan.

TPC dislikes giving Pokémon just for the sake of giving them, that's why we don't have WiFi distributions often

This is a thing people seem to keep missing. Context is key. That's why we haven't had the Cap Pikachu or Marshadow yet, and why most distributions don't make it out of Japan.

TPC dislikes giving Pokémon just for the sake of giving them, that's why we don't have WiFi distributions often

While I understand, I do wish they did at least something to get us somewhat closer to parity. Honestly, it can't be that hard to think of excuses if they actually tried.

I am pretty sure many of the "context" (aka excuses) in Japan can be wafer-thin at times.

Hey, we've got a bunch of really cool Eevee merchandise, you can have hidden ability Eevees! BTW, the Sun/Moon anime is really cool, right? Here, have the main Pokemon of Ash's companions. Oh, we've relocated one of our Pokemon Centers. Have a Victini, because it's the store mascot.

Granted, some of those might not have mainstream appeal and/or might not make sense without some reworking.

Or they could always fall back on the boring, but better-than-nothing Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter distributions. Because anything is better than the mostly nothing we're getting.

Oh well, at least we're getting a Salazzle soon, apparently. Which I imagine is gonna be sniffed at by more casual fans. But it can't be worse than a Bottle Cap... (Also, where on Earth did our shiny Tapu Koko disappear off to?)

There will be no more western event distributions for as long as Eviolite exists.
:p

Certainly I understand that most Japanese events, or even events in greater Asia, are commemorative. Movie releases, holidays, etc. But certainly TPCi could justify giveaways for any number of commemorative dates.

Heck, even just a "Summer Event" is enough for most marketing companies. Why not Pokémon?

While I do think we should maybe get a few more events over here (especially when it comes to certain things like event legends with the current gen symbols), they have been getting a little better. The worst generation for international events by far was Generation 5, which is where I believe this current "Japan gets everything" mindset comes from.

From a certain website's Wonder Card archive:
m3Zhooz.png

It wasn't even just stuff like Tanabata Jirachi and the "go to this event to trade evolve" Pokemon either, Japan got an entire set of dragon shinies for year of the dragon (although I believe this was limited to one per game), shiny Hydreigon/Golurk, shiny Rayquaza, shiny Genesect, Mewtwo with Hurricane, a bunch of champion's Pokemon, a bunch of teams designed for doubles, and a few more special move Victini (I don't think we ever got the Glaciate one). There were plenty of opportunities to release these too, the shiny Rayquaza was a wifi event when Conquest launched in Japan.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Decided that I want to finish up the Battle Frontier in Emerald before I head off to the Sinnoh region.

-Factory was hard but I managed to defeat Noland,

-Pike was easy and Lucy didn't pose much of a threat,

-Arena was pretty easy thanks to Tatsu my Salamence being full of guts,

-Dome...try as I might I just can't seem to be able to make to Tucker so I had to take a break from it,

-Palace will be my next challenge will be interesting to see how my team will fair,

-Tower, not done it yet but I am unsure how I will fair against Anabel as her team does look tough and that's assuming if I will even make it to her,

-Pyramid, will be saving this one for last and I predict that I shouldn't have that much of a problem with it or against Brandon.

MAtgS

No way, with how popular Dawn is. Makoto is really just an easier way to market gen 4 (even if the gen 4 remakes are still far away they probably want to slowly get them back into people's minds early on I guess) since putting Dawn in that alternate story would have REALLY made no sense, even by this movie's standards

There wasn't really much of a point to replacing Crystal with Lyra either & yet that still happened. & if Makoto & the other guy aren't gonna be in a game then their replacing Brock & Misty makes even less sense. Like, why not just give Brock & Misty gen 4 pokemon in that case?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There wasn't really much of a point to replacing Crystal with Lyra either & yet that still happened. & if Makoto & the other guy aren't gonna be in a game then their replacing Brock & Misty makes even less sense. Like, why not just give Brock & Misty gen 4 pokemon in that case?

Kris was nonexistent if you don't pick her. You can't say that to the others. It's how Lyra replaced her. It's also why in a sense Leaf doesn't exist.

Also people overestimate Brock and Misty.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Just did the Battle Palace in Pokémon Emerald...it was interesting how Kura my Tentacruel was the only Pokémon that would attack whereas Tatsu my Salamence who is the powerhouse of the team struggled to attack at all...he lost against a Shedinja despite knowing Aerial ace but wouldn't use it. ¬_¬;

Pura my Plusle was in between, sometime he would attack and other time he wouldn't, so in the end after I lost I decided to abandon the Battle Palace and head to the Tower and then take on the Pyramid afterward.

Yep pretty much, out of all the Pokémon the got it's two of the most popular gen 4 Pokémon...they did this on purpose to tease the Sinnoh remake.

I honestly feel that we are getting the Sinnoh remake next year as a final send off for the 3DS.

The new characters just seem like designs made by OLM for the movie. I doubt Game Freak would give the anime team their designs for new games before said games were actually announced.

I don't know why Kris was replaced with Lyra but Dawn is pretty popular because of the anime, while Kris' biggest appearance outside of the games was that Raikou special. The male character is usually shown more in promo material for the games.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Donald Trump might actually be impeached before we find out any info about Ultra Sun and Moon, huh?

I still strongly believe Sun and Moon were leaked on Election Day as a Trump strategy to distract would-be young voters who probably would've gone out and voted had they nothing better to do.

Gravijah

Couple questions for people who have ordered from pokemoncenter.com

1) When do they authorize pre-orders? Is it immediate, and is the charge the full order price or 1$?

2) If you combine a pre-order with a normal order to reach the free shipping threshold, how do they charge you? For each order separate, or for the entire order at once?

Macka

WHY NOT ON SWITCH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
I mean...that would be a completely justified reaction tbh. It's one thing to release directors cut versions like B2/W2 and US/UM a few months after the launch of new hardware, but a brand new game in the series releasing close to two years after the Switch launch? Pure madness.

Which means GameFreak will absolutely do it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Oh boy, I'm not looking forward to that thread on GAF.

I am muwahahahahahaahahaah!!! >:D

Honestly I am just speculating but it does seem weird that Game Freak is teasing Sinnoh remake while at the same time announcing a Switch Pokémon game which signal a new generation.

Plus I feel that a Sinnoh remake is the perfect game to wave farewell to the Dual Screen setup as it was the game that was built around it and did bring a lot to the series.

They could also just be promoting Sinnoh stuff because we're in the 10th anniversary launch window for those games. This happened with R/S where they were giving out Groudon/Kyogre in 2012 and a few other things, a lot of people thought we were getting them then instead of 2014. I do think R/S remakes were in the cards for Gen 5 with almost every Hoenn Pokemon getting a new sprite and that one cave in BW2 having a water/lava environment change between versions, but the 3DS coming out probably halted those plans and they just went with the plan that allowed them to reuse a bunch of the map work they had already done.

Very much doubt they would have six games in Gen 7, not just because the + symbol only allows for four games either. Game Freak typically starts work on the next generation during the year that the current generation ships. There's a few Pokemon Amie design docs that Masuda posted a few months ago dated 2010 and there was an interview that talked about how they would go about designing the next Pokemon generation around the time that X/Y launched. It's likely that the Switch game/Gen 8 started development sometime last year, but pressure from fans after the US/UM announcement caused them to announce it early. We'll probably see Sinnoh remakes as the second game pair on the Switch, would be a really good setting to mass-reintroduce legendary Pokemon that haven't been around in a while.

USUM were more than likely in development before SM were even announced. I assume Game Freak and TPC make an approximate timeline for each generation, but is subject to change. For example, we know that Gen IV was supposed to start in 2005 but was delayed by a year (which is why the Lucario movie came out so early). This is obviously blind speculation, but I feel like Gen V and Gen VI each ended a year earlier than they were originally planned to for different reasons. If there was another title that was going to be released this gen after USUM, I think it's either been scrapped or will be reworked later down the line.

I mean...that would be a completely justified reaction tbh. It's one thing to release directors cut versions like B2/W2 and US/UM a few months after the launch of new hardware, but a brand new game in the series releasing close to two years after the Switch launch? Pure madness.

I think you're getting a bit confused here. BW released internationally just after the 3DS launched.

BW2 were released more than a year after the 3DS. June 2012 (Japan) and October 2012 (NA/EU).

As mad as some Switch owners get when they see a new 3DS game, Nintendo's internal teams have pretty much stopped supporting it, and now we know their partners (GF, HAL, IntSys) are starting to jump ship as well. At the same time, a few more first-party titles for the 3DS isn't the end of the world.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Game Freak was never going to have a new console debut Pokémon game be a remake and anyone thinking otherwise is fooling themselves.

How about they never remake Sinnoh and they just go to Unova on Switch for 8th gen.
I think this is a good scenario.

How about they do a Sinnoh remake and then do a Unova remake later down the line?

That way everyone wins.

They could also just be promoting Sinnoh stuff because we're in the 10th anniversary launch window for those games. This happened with R/S where they were giving out Groudon/Kyogre in 2012 and a few other things, a lot of people thought we were getting them then instead of 2014. I do think R/S remakes were in the cards for Gen 5 with almost every Hoenn Pokemon getting a new sprite and that one cave in BW2 having a water/lava environment change between versions, but the 3DS coming out probably halted those plans and they just went with the plan that allowed them to reuse a bunch of the map work they had already done.

Very much doubt they would have six games in Gen 7, not just because the + symbol only allows for four games either. Game Freak typically starts work on the next generation during the year that the current generation ships. There's a few Pokemon Amie design docs that Masuda posted a few months ago dated 2010 and there was an interview that talked about how they would go about designing the next Pokemon generation around the time that X/Y launched. It's likely that the Switch game/Gen 8 started development sometime last year, but pressure from fans after the US/UM announcement caused them to announce it early. We'll probably see Sinnoh remakes as the second game pair on the Switch, would be a really good setting to mass-reintroduce legendary Pokemon that haven't been around in a while.

I disagree as we have a few teasing to a Sinnoh remake happening;

-When Sun and Moon launched the event Pokémon that they chose to celebrate it was Munchlax, one of the very first gen 4 Pokémon that was announced and when X and Y launched they gave away Torchic which was a tease for the Hoenn remake.

-During the Ultra Sun and Moon direct behind Ishihara they had all the main series game lined up from gen 1 to gen 7, except for gen 4 which was suspiciously absent.

-Two of Ash's companion in the upcoming Pokémon movie uses gen 4 Pokémon, I just find that odd.

Then again I was so sure that "Pokémon Z" would be a thing and that never happened, so it's possible that the Sinnoh remake could be folded into gen 8 for the Switch but there's also a chance it could be released on the 3DS to give Game Freak more time to work on the Switch Pokémon game.

What do you all think happened with Pokémon Z? I feel like the indication was there and all the usual pieces were in place, but at some point they pulled the plug.

I wonder why?

And now, with things like Z Moves being so-named, it feels like ideas are being incorporated elsewhere.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
No it wouldn't. Games are made years in advance so they probably wouldn't have had the Switch in mind when planning it. Switch port beggars have made Gaming side threads even more insufferable than normal.

Honestly I have this feeling that those people aren't Switch owners and are just the usual "people who are smarter than Nintendo when it comes to business".

Busaiku

No it wouldn't. Games are made years in advance so they probably wouldn't have had the Switch in mind when planning it. Switch port beggars have made Gaming side threads even more insufferable than normal.
A 2018 game being made by Gamefreak would likely know about Switch, and they just ignore it, to their benefit or detriment.

Dang. I just "got" Mega Gengar's design.

I've never used Mega Gengar personally, so my opportunities to see it in game are very limited. So I've only ever seen it in promotional art and stuff. Since it doesn't have feet, I always assumed Mega Gengar was floating, and I always thought it was really weird that it had such a flat bottom.

I understand now that Mega Gengar is flat on the ground and drags itself around using its arms.

Its in-game model even has hands that are invisible most of the time because they clip through the floor. I always thought it was weird that Mega Gengar has weird stumpy posts for arms. At least I know there are some little claws under there.

I've always hated this design, and still do, but at least I understand the locomotion of the creature and what is actually happening. It's less irritating to look at once you realize it's not floating as one might expect a ghost of that shape to do.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Brandon has been defeated!!!! Was a really clutch battle as Ecko, my Sceptile, was in the red and Kura, my Tentacruel, was at half health leaving Char, my Charizard the only one at full health oh and I had no healing items.

Ecko managed to dish out the damage against Regirock but sadly he fell in battle leaving Kura to finish it. Brandon then sent out Regice I told Kura to fire off sludge bomb hoping for a poison sadly it didn't happen and Regice fired back with a Thunder knocking Kura out.

With my last Pokémon I sent out Char and he fired off a Flamethrower leaving Regice in the red, Regice fired back a thunder and I had my heart in my mouth as I watch Char take the hit but he endured it with 12 hit point and fired back with a Flamethrower taking Regice out.

Then Brandon sent out his final Pokémon, Registeel but Char was all fired up and delivered a critical hit Flamethrower that took out Registeel out in one hit.

With that my time with the Battle Frontier is over and from tomorrow I am heading up North to the Sinnoh region.

What do you all think happened with Pokémon Z? I feel like the indication was there and all the usual pieces were in place, but at some point they pulled the plug.

I wonder why?

And now, with things like Z Moves being so-named, it feels like ideas are being incorporated elsewhere.

My guess is that the 20th anniversary and the upcoming Switch made them change their plan and they decided to fold Zygarde and Super Greninja into Sun and Moon and call it a day.

Had they not taken 2015 off then they could have easily released "Pokémon Z" there with Sun and Moon the following year, followed by Ultra Sun and Moon this year.

Growlie19

So to pass the time before we get more info on USUM, I've been playing Heart Gold only using Rock-types. I started with Cyndaquil, thinking it would be nice back-up against Sprout Tower, until I realized my rival would get Totodile, rock's worst enemy. I also remembered you could get a Slugma egg from Primo in Violet City, rendering my Cyndaquil strategy moot.

The first three gyms fell easily to Geodude and Slugma, with the traded Onix providing support with Screech and Rock Tomb. Silver's Croconaw sucked to fight. Thankfully, Slugma's Yawn gave me just enough time to lower its stats and beat it; nail-biter every time, though. Then came Morty and his stupidly strong Ghosts. Had to Rock Polish and use x-items on Graveler to beat him.

When I got to Olivine, I fished up a Corsola for future Whirlpool use, and traded the Helix and Amber to Platinum to revive, then traded them back to me. Aerodactyl Wing Attacked his way through Chuck, and we healed Amphy. With the Safari Zone unlocked, I waited until I could hunt for Larvitar and Rhyhorn, both were caught. While grinding them up, I found a shiny Tauros, a welcome surprise.

After some more training against Team Rocket, the team was ready for Jasmine and Pryce. Jasmine was pathetic, but Pryce was close. Ice Path was quickly conquered, and we set off to fight Clair. I taught Aerodactyl Ice Fang for the battle, though I soon learned Iron Head over it. Victory was ours after a hard-fought battle, and we challenged Ho-Oh. I decided to beat it for the XP, then catch it later.

I passed through Victory Road, beating Silver in the process (much easier with Omastar in tow). More grinding ensued, until everyone was level 48. Will and Koga were easy, but Bruno was my first true obstacle in the Elite Four. He took out Aerodactyl and Omastar before finally conceding defeat. Karen wasn't too bad, but then the Dragon Master appeared.

Revive shenanigans ensued, but a Rock Slide from Pupitar finished off his Charizard, making me the Champion of Johto. But another whole region awaits, wrought with anti-rock gyms. How will I fare? Tune in next time....

Just something fun I wanted to do while I grind some more. Here's the Johto team:
Cocina the Magcargo: Lava Plume, AncientPower, Fire Blast, Yawn
Pterrod the Aerodactyl: Wing Attack, AncientPower, Iron Head, Fly
Spirador the Omastar: Surf, AncientPower, Mud Shot, Waterfall
Sahara the Pupitar: Earthquake, Rock Slide, Crunch, Screech
Charger the Rhydon: Earthquake, Stone Edge, Hammer Arm, Strength
Wall the Shuckle: really only used it to emergency revive something
Golem, Sudowoodo, Onix, and Corsola were also used earlier on, so they are honorable mentions.

Macka

Dang. I just "got" Mega Gengar's design.
I didn't like Mega Gengar's design at first either, but it's one of my favourites now. I think a good Mega Evolution design is one that takes the original concept to the logical extreme, and this one definitely does.

Gengar is the Shadow Pokemon, so the Mega Evolution comes up through the ground like a shadow. Makes sense. Many of the Pokedex entries for Gastly, Haunter and Gengar also talk about them being from a different dimension, and the Mega Gengar dex entry in Moon doubles down on that by saying it is literally lurking in a different dimension before rising out of the ground to attack.

Another common criticism people have for the design is his random third eye. I still think it stands out in a bad way, but it's kinda cool that it's the eye from the 'Mean Look' move animation, and the permanence of that eye is reflected in his ability Shadow Tag, trapping Pokemon from leaving battle with him.

Mean_Look_IV.png

Except most of the Switch port beggars are...well, begging for Switch ports. Obviously games are made years in advance. There's very little reason for certain games not to get an uprezzed port though.

I think you're getting a bit confused here. BW released internationally just after the 3DS launched. BW2 were released more than a year after the 3DS. June 2012 (Japan) and October 2012 (NA/EU).
True, forgot just how bad the Black/White situation was. Still, at least those games were playable on the new hardware. That's the reason the backlash is much worse than usual. People are pissed off when they see Nintendo announcing all these games they can't play on the new console they paid $400+ for.

JoeM86

I have no idea what any of that means.

It means the Pokémon Daisuki Club is opening one of their many Lore pages, this time focused on Pokémon that are "not of this Earth" on July 19th.

It also means the western Internet, not knowing Japanese, just sees dates and spreads things around without knowing context and thus causing hype that will fall flat :/

MAtgS

Kris was nonexistent if you don't pick her. You can't say that to the others. It's how Lyra replaced her. It's also why in a sense Leaf doesn't exist.

Also people overestimate Brock and Misty.
That still isn't really a why, though. If Kris was the girl in HGSS and had scenes as an NPC as Lyra did, no one would ever think anything of it. So cutting her and replacing her didn't really seem to serve any inherent purpose. And yet it happened anyway.

"People overestimate Brock and Misty". What is this sentence even? People are wrong for for giving a damn about those two?

Leaf really should've been in Origins. And the considerable amount of Alolan Leaf fan art that came out after SuMo shows that a lot of folks wanted her in that game as well.

It means the Pokémon Daisuki Club is opening one of their many Lore pages, this time focused on Pokémon that are "not of this Earth" on July 19th.

It also means the western Internet, not knowing Japanese, just sees dates and spreads things around without knowing context and thus causing hype that will fall flat :/

I expected nothing and I'm still disappointed :(

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I just started Pokémon Diamond, man all the nostalgic feeling just came flooding in and I began to pay attention to dialogue and interesting facts that I glossed over when I lasted played it like;

-Rowan had been away from Sinnoh for 4 years,
-The player mother actually says an emotional farewell,
-Sinnoh is actually the first region where the professor isn't located in the same town as the player, I had actually forgotten this and thought that Kalos was the first region to do this,
-Barry is still a fun character to hang out with,
-The game does pause your adventure and direct the players where to go but unlike newer games it doesn't treat the player like an idiot and allows them to explore like for example I was able to buy Pokéball, catch Pokémon and trade them long before the game even did the tutorial on how to catch Pokémon.

But it isn't the case of old being better than the new, I will give gen 6 praise for straight up giving the player the running shoe from the get go rather than making the player wait because tradition.

Anyway I just defeated Pearl at Jubilife City and ready to head off towards Oreburgh City for our first gym battle.

My team so far;

Char the Charmander,
Snea the Sneasel,
Lux the Shinx,
Rozu the Budew

Just something fun I wanted to do while I grind some more. Here's the Johto team:
Cocina the Magcargo: Lava Plume, AncientPower, Fire Blast, Yawn
Pterrod the Aerodactyl: Wing Attack, AncientPower, Iron Head, Fly
Spirador the Omastar: Surf, AncientPower, Mud Shot, Waterfall
Sahara the Pupitar: Earthquake, Rock Slide, Crunch, Screech
Charger the Rhydon: Earthquake, Stone Edge, Hammer Arm, Strength
Wall the Shuckle: really only used it to emergency revive something
Golem, Sudowoodo, Onix, and Corsola were also used earlier on, so they are honorable mentions.

Interesting team line up, I myself used Shuckle on my Silver reserve team and he was actually pretty good though it took him a looooong time to take anything out so he wasn't used that much.

Top Bottom