• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

brinstar

I'd be over the moon if US/UM is full of surprises to discover on launch day, but since they were in full blow out mode with OR/AS and S/M it's hard to know if the slow info rollout is because there is not much to talk about or because they've decided to change their tactics again.

Anyway for me mainly, I just wish they wouldn't show so many new Pokemon when it's a new gen now. It feels so unnecessary when they reveal a Pokemon, then right after the reveal do its entire evo line. By the time S/M came out there was like 2 Pokemon I hadn't seen. They even revealed Necrozma the last week before release! It just sucks that we finally have global releases but now they've decided to just dump the entire dex out before release.

^^^^^

How are you going to plan out your team if you don't know what the new Pokémon are and what the base stats looks like? (Base stats knowledge is my weird thing I like to know before I choose to use a Pokémon.)

I love those types of leaks/official releases. First we got Decidueye which I loved at first glance after we got his/hers base stats which turned my love into disgust. I'm glad I got that info early because it saved me from wasting my time and finding out after I put in so much work. I'm weird like that I guess. The one thing I don't like about this gen is that for the most part it's a slow gen.

Also, that's a weird reason. You can always opt to not see the new info dump and go in not knowing the name of the new region nonetheless what the new Pokémon look like.

brinstar

^^^^^

How are you going to plan out your team if you don't know what the new Pokémon are and what the base stats looks like? (Base stats knowledge is my weird thing I like to know before I choose to use a Pokémon.)

I love those types of leaks/official releases. First we got Decidueye which I loved at first glance after we got his/hers base stats which turned my love into disgust. I'm glad I got that info early because it saved me from wasting my time and finding out after I put in so much work. I'm weird like that I guess. The one thing I don't like about this gen is that for the most part it's a slow gen.

Also, that's a weird reason. You can always opt to not see the new info dump and go in not knowing the name of the new region nonetheless what the new Pokémon look like.

I don't look at stats for my ingame team at all. I just grab 6 guys I want to use and go with it. If a Pokemon isn't working out for me during the game I'll end up swapping but generally I treat my initial playthroughs very casually.

And it's basically impossible to not know officially revealed stuff about the games. Between headlines, Twitter and Tumblr, game sites and GAF and even friend texts; I'd have to completely cut myself off socially. I do tend to avoid the leaks, but official reveals I consider fair game.

And I don't mind them revealing mons, I just don't know why they have to reveal so many. Did we need to know every single Ultra Beast and Necrozma before release? Type: Null and Silvally? It just seems excessive to me. Maybe I'm weird, I dunno lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Why would I care at all about the typing/stats when going through the game? Game is easy enough without min maxing a team.

I don't look at stats for my ingame team at all. I just grab 6 guys I want to use and go with it. If a Pokemon isn't working out for me during the game I'll end up swapping but generally I treat my initial playthroughs very casually.

And it's basically impossible to not know officially revealed stuff about the games. Between headlines, Twitter and Tumblr, game sites and GAF and even friend texts; I'd have to completely cut myself off socially. I do tend to avoid the leaks, but official reveals I consider fair game.

And I don't mind them revealing mons, I just don't know why they have to reveal so many. Did we need to know every single Ultra Beast and Necrozma before release? Type: Null and Silvally? It just seems excessive to me. Maybe I'm weird, I dunno lol

But did they really reveal everything and you're not mixing it up from when the demo was data mined? Honest question because I could've sworn a good amount of Pokémon only saw the light of day through the data mine. Of course I could be wrong.

As for the whole base stat thing. Like I said I'm weird about that especially with hyper training now available. For my 2nd, 3rd, and many more play through I bread perfect IV Pokémon eggs to transfer over for my play through and I'll raise that Pokémon for a competitive team. Also, see reply below.

Why would I care at all about the typing/stats when going through the game? Game is easy enough without min maxing a team.

I currently have a perfect 5 IV Shiny Torchic, Shiny Froakie, and HP ice Jolteon at level 1 with the HA for the starters sitting in my Poke Bank that I've bread and EV trained for my first play through of Ultra Moon. Like I said, I'm weird with that and I don't like using Pokémon who's base stats doesn't appeal to me.

brinstar

But did they really reveal everything and you're not mixing it up from when the demo was data mined? Honest question because I could've sworn a good amount of Pokémon only saw the light of day through the data mine. Of course I could be wrong.

Officially they revealed every new Pokemon except: Trumbeak, Toucannon, Crabominable, Mareanie, Toxapex, Dewpider, Araquanid, Salazzle, Golisopod, Dhelmise and I *think* Guzzlord.

I could be missing some. I think the Tapus were even shown the week of release but I can't remember. I'm sure Joe or someone could correct me lol. But yeah the lion's share of the dex was definitely officially unveiled pre-release. The same thing happened with X/Y.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Stats, I agree with, but for typing, even I don't like having too many of one type of Pokemon.

See I go with the flow, especially for a new gen game. I don't look up types (though with Sun and Moon TPC threw them at me with videos every week so I knew most of them)

In remakes or these sequel games the surprise is more where you find the pokemon.

I find even in game breeding for moves to be too much, let alone making a whole team with good ivs, egg moves and abilities. A protean Froakie with four high powered moves versus stuff with tackle and growl.

Officially they revealed every new Pokemon except: Trumbeak, Toucannon, Crabominable, Mareanie, Toxapex, Dewpider, Araquanid, Salazzle, Golisopod, Dhelmise and I *think* Guzzlord.

I could be missing some. I think the Tapus were even shown the week of release but I can't remember. I'm sure Joe or someone could correct me lol. But yeah the lion's share of the dex was definitely officially unveiled pre-release. The same thing happened with X/Y.

also iirc, Alolan Geodude's line was the only one not shown pre-release

See I go with the flow, especially for a new gen game. I don't look up types (though with Sun and Moon TPC threw them at me with videos every week so I knew most of them)

In remakes or these sequel games the surprise is more where you find the pokemon.

I find even in game breeding for moves to be too much, let alone making a whole team with good ivs, egg moves and abilities. A protean Froakie with four high powered moves versus stuff with tackle and growl.

Eh.... seems like a difference on how we like to play the main game. No disrespect going on up in here! Just acceptance and Pokémon love. What's spoiler for one may mean nothing for another.

Mr-Joker

Banned
In regards to why they haven't shown off much new info for Ultra Sun and Moon, I think that people forget that Pokémon is a multimedia franchise thus any new info needs to line up correct with the others.

For example Lycanroc Dusk Form was clearly held back for the animé when Ash's Rockruff evolved.

Heck they did Pokémon The Origin just to attract older players than played the gen 1 games and to debut Charizard X for Pokémon X and Y.

Plus this is the first third version that is releasing worldwide so naturally info would trickle at a slower pace compare to prior third version and the period between announcement and release date is also pretty close together it just doesn't make sense to give away too much info if they aren't ready yet and aren't in a new generation.

Personally I am in the camp that there will be new features in the game and game is a version with a twist that has not been seen in either Yellow/Crystal/Platinum/Emerald or Black and White 2.

Necrozma fusing with Solgaleo/Lunala clearly suggest that the story is just more than Sun and Moon story but with Necrozma standing in for Solgaleo/Lunala.

I also stand by my theory that there will be Gen 2 Alola form to tie in with the release with Gold and Silver on 3DS virtual console, it makes a lot of sense since gen 2 Pokémon are the new hotness after being added into Pokémon Go, again tying into what I said earlier about Pokémon being multimedia franchise.

I care about a Pokémon stats in game because if a Pokémon isn't yielding enough damage to take out their opponent then this can affect the team if they have to come out to finish the job.

Stats, I agree with, but for typing, even I don't like having too many of one type of Pokemon.

Same, if half of my team is weak to one type I then go back to the drawing board and tinker around with it.

The only exception is my Diamond team, because Fire Pokémon practically don't exist in Sinnoh, or if they are a reserve member meaning that they are only temporary members that get rotated when needed.

brinstar

Eh.... seems like a difference on how we like to play the main game. No disrespect going on up in here! Just acceptance and Pokémon love. What's spoiler for one may mean nothing for another.

Oh yeah totally. I get that it's my own personal hang up. Everyone enjoys the series in their own way.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I did play White 2 in hard mode with a preconstructed team, the entire roster of 600BST cute mythical pokemon. Talk about stacking types. Psychic, Grass/Psychic, Steel/Psychic, Water, Grass (Grass/Flying with Gracedia Flower) and Fire/Psychic.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
In my dreams the Charjabug racing from the latest anime episode is actually a new feature in USUM.

Puruzi

Banned
I like them showing off everything before the games coming out. Sun and Moon prerelease was hype talking about all the trailers and info and shit, then they ended up being my favorite gen in the series.

Macka

First we got Decidueye which I loved at first glance after we got his/hers base stats which turned my love into disgust. I'm glad I got that info early because it saved me from wasting my time and finding out after I put in so much work.
So you don't really care what the Pokemon look like at all? Your favourites are entirely dependent on them being overpowered? I don't really understand that. Unless you're playing competitively, anything is viable for the main game. And even then there's the occasional 'weak' Pokemon that fill roles surprisingly well in VGC.

I use Pokemon I like aesthetically in the main game.

So the event Rockruff has Own Tempo as an ability, of all things.

I wonder if that evolution requirement is hard-coded into the game or if all Rockruff with a fateful encounter flag will just come with Own Tempo.

oh that new Lycanroc Z move sounds like i might be useful

if dusk form fixes all the problems with midday and midnight form then the future is looking bright for the rock doggo

Watch Da Birdie

Six more hours till USUM suddenly becomes the coolest Pokemon game ever made!

Seriously I'd love if we get an absolutely spectacular and exciting trailer

If Greninja could get some gimmicky Ash Ketchum forme going on, here's hoping Ultra has something for Ash's new hotness this time around.

Basically saying just give me something new for Decidueye and the hype train gets moving.
Actually tying into the previous discussion, the announcement of Ultra Sun/Moon left me thinking "eeehhhhh whatever I guess". Somehow though the complete lack of info now has me more intrigued, what are they hiding?!

Watch Da Birdie

Honestly Orange Lycanroc is a good design in itself---like had it not been a recolor, and simply the default Rockruff evolution design, there wouldn't be any issue.

One thing I hope to tie into the anime in a minor way is perhaps redesigning the Melemele school to look more like the one in the show, just a simple aesthetic change. And maybe make Samson Oak the principal instead of that nothing role he has in the game.

So you don't really care what the Pokemon look like at all? Your favourites are entirely dependent on them being overpowered? I don't really understand that. Unless you're playing competitively, anything is viable for the main game. And even then there's the occasional 'weak' Pokemon that fill roles surprisingly well in VGC.

I use Pokemon I like aesthetically in the main game.

No. I first need to like what the Pokémon looks like visually and all I need is for it to have the stats that I can work with or a hell of a HA that I could use to make it a utility member of my team. I like to bread perfect IV Pokémon with the best possible ability/HA and use them during a play through and raise them to level 100 so that I can eventually use them on a competitive team.

It doesn't need to make sense to you because it makes perfect sense to me. Instead of using a Pokémon that'll eventually get boxed because it's not properly trained for competitive battle I breed Pokémon and use those Pokémon for a play through and then train those same Pokémon up for competitive play. IF they preform like I hoped they would in competitive play I'll use them to breed future perfect IV kids for future play throughs though their kids may have a lesser role on my team.

When I first saw Decidueye I loved its typing and wanted it to be a glass cannon so bad with a decent HA. To this day I still haven't recover from the shock of Decidueye base speed.

I currently have a perfect 5IV Gyarados EV trained and at level 100 that I bread and raised myself sitting in my Poke Bank. I have never used it in a competitive battle because I'm not the biggest fan of its design but still think it's a amazing Pokémon.

Edit: Not to mention it helps having a connection to my competitive team knowing that I used them on a journey instead of being instantly bread to fill some role on a competitive team.

lupinko

I did play White 2 in hard mode with a preconstructed team, the entire roster of 600BST cute mythical pokemon. Talk about stacking types. Psychic, Grass/Psychic, Steel/Psychic, Water, Grass (Grass/Flying with Gracedia Flower) and Fire/Psychic.

You just reminded me why I need to get another pair of second hand copies of BW2.

Was that Nihilego scene on Aether Paradise pretty much the same one as in Sun/Moon?

I missed the beginning and can't watch right now.

What did they show for Pokémon?

The basically recapped the stuff from Corocoro and showed off a few new areas. There's also two new UBs which was the most surprising thing.

Watch Da Birdie

Also Rockruff is #126 in the Dex now instead of #103, and Mantine was shown with a Ride Harness.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Personally I am in the camp that there will be new features in the game and game is a version with a twist that has not been seen in either Yellow/Crystal/Platinum/Emerald or Black and White 2.

Necrozma fusing with Solgaleo/Lunala clearly suggest that the story is just more than Sun and Moon story but with Necrozma standing in for Solgaleo/Lunala.

I freaking called it, bow down to me you mere mortal for I am your GOD.

Plus since Lycanroc new Z move was in the original Ultra Sun and Moon announcement trailer, it's safe to assume that Mimikyu and Togedemaru will have new Z moves since they too had new cut scene moments akin to Lycanroc.

I am also 100% confident that we will get new Alola form.

Do you think we'll get new pokemon other than ubs? I don't think they'll end the national dex on one of them. Unless they decide to rearrange the national dex, which I think would be a first.

I guess this could solve the issue of them not having a new event pokemon to distribute during next year's movie. They might just add one in USUM

Mr-Joker

Banned
Do you think we'll get new pokemon other than ubs? I don't think they'll end the national dex on one of them. Unless they decide to rearrange the national dex, which I think would be a first.

I guess this could solve the issue of them not having a new event pokemon to distribute during next year's movie. They might just add one in USUM

Personally I think that it will just be Ultra Beast as they can easily hand wave that we only saw a select few Ultra Beast that crept through the crack in Sun and Moon. Plus I feel that Gen 8 won't have new Ultra Breast so it's okay just go all out for Ultra Sun and Moon.

GoldStarz

That was a miserable presentation for Pokémon. Yeah, lowering expectations now.
This is literally the first time in the series we're getting new Pokemon mid-gen and you're saying that miserable. Yeah. Okay.

I think we'll get new Alola forms, maybe a new Mythical, but I don't think we'll get new 'standard' Pokemon.

wmlk

This is literally the first time in the series we're getting new Pokemon mid-gen and you're saying that miserable. Yeah. Okay.

I don't put UBs remotely in the same class, even if they're numbered. I don't even consider them as options for my party.

GoldStarz

I don't put UBs remotely in the same class, even if they're numbered. I don't even consider them as options for my party.
Unless you treat Legendaries the same way then that's bullshit because that's all they really are, they're just a group of Legendaries that share an ability.

wmlk

Unless you treat Legendaries the same way then that's bullshit because that's all they really are, they're just a group of Legendaries that share an ability.

The naming (like Game Freak is saying they're a different class altogether), the extreme design differences, and their background are all things that add to that. I'm not the only one. There are tons of other people who treat Ultra Beasts differently.

I'd get excited for normal Pokémon to get added to the Pokédex, since those have a chance to get added to regional dexes for future generations. Stuff like that actually dictates who I'll use in my playthrough. I value new Alolan forms over this even if they won't appear in future generations, since I know I'll be using them if I get USUM.

Forkball

Yeah, new UBs is alright, but we probably won't get to use them until after the main story anyways. Seems an odd thing to reveal over new Alolan forms which are far more interesting.

Also outside of the Game Informer video, they haven't even shown off the photo mode. There's no mention of it on their website to my knowledge.

The game is available for preorder next Friday in Japan, so hopefully they throw us something more than "there's a wall Pokemon and also a beach."

Man God

Non-Canon Member
UBS are different.

They come from a completely alien dimension.

You can catch multiple of them in the same game.

They all look really alien and have extreme but not totally broken stats.

Top Bottom