• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

It's happening again. It's that time of year when my Pokemon craving kicks in and the obsession starts all over again.

Only problem is I have nothing to play. I was thinking of getting into some fan games/rom hacks. Any recommendations?

So the title IDs on the eshop """mysteriously""" skip over one space inbetween every region's Silver and the next region's Gold. We also now know that Bank will update for Gen 2 in Winter 2017. Original G/S released on 9/21 (close to 9/22) and Crystal released on 12/14 of the next year.

Guessing VC Crystal releases this December.

Crystal is the best game out of three so it's not surprising that they're holding it off so that it doesn't undercut GS sales. I wouldn't be shocked if Yellow was the best selling Gen I game on VC by a noticeable amount. Waiting for those double/triple dippers lol. You get it via a serial code and it doesn't expire until next October, so I could see them holding off the release for a while.

I'm a bit surprised that they're not using the chance to do the GS Ball event, seeing as you could get Mew in the Gen I VC games. They could make it so that it automatically unlocks after you beat the game or something.

JoeM86

So the title IDs on the eshop """mysteriously""" skip over one space inbetween every region's Silver and the next region's Gold. We also now know that Bank will update for Gen 2 in Winter 2017. Original G/S released on 9/21 (close to 9/22) and Crystal released on 12/14 of the next year.

Guessing VC Crystal releases this December.

Original GS released on November 21st

Mr-Joker

Banned
So if you get Gold and Silver you get a free theme, now I really want the theme so is there a chance they will sell them separately or I am never going to get it?

Seems an odd thing to reveal over new Alolan forms which are far more interesting.

Because Alola form can easily be shown outside of a Nintendo direct and I still maintain the belief that they show them off after Gold and Silver has been released on virtual console and when the Animé has caught up a bit so they can time it right.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't do that.

Yeah, I always thought it was odd how they didn't make an Ultra Beast an event Pokémon but I guess we know why now.

I really hope that the Ultra Beast play a much bigger role in Ultra Sun and Moon and aren't just chucked for post game content.

I also wonder how they will handle trading between Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Moon will they just make that you can't trade the new Pokémon over to the base game or release a patch that allows them to be traded?

If they do, Gen VIII in 2019 is a safe bet.

If not, the 2018 train's still on the rails.

My money is on 2019 but I am basing that on the Animé which is currently moving at a slower pace.

G/S will be my goty

I don't even know what game will be my goty.

My money is on 2019 but I am basing that on the Animé which is currently moving at a slower pace.

What?

They've done literally half of Sun and Moon's quest in substantially less than a year, and blew through all of Akala Island's trials in consecutive episodes. Whatever else you say about the Sun and Moon anime, it is not dragging its feet.

Oswen

I really like the new UBs.

Burst is funky and creepy at the same time, a nice rendition of an alien-clown thing, I can see it being Fairy type.

Assembly is eerie, robotic and the sentient bricks are a great touch, Ghost/Steel or Ghost/Rock I guess?
I really have big hopes for new Alola forms and possibly some Megas now.

Marshadow coming out so soon has been very suspicious from the start since that would have left no new mythicals for 2018 and possibly 2019 to tie in with movies and merchandising in general.
I think we will see at least one new mythical in USUM, possibly new (non UBs) pokémon aswell, half gens are not that impossible anymore I guess.
Not sure which version to get now, do we know if UM is still 12 hours shifted?

Unrelated to USUM but are the 3DS themes and Celebi codes already available with predowload of VC G/S or do we still have to wait for release day to get those?

man US/UM having new pokémon has skyrocketed my hype lol
I'm just glad I get to speculate about something now, it was getting so bad that people were going over the kawayoo map of Alola for any possible detail changes from the original.

Was talking the other day with someone about how the next generation would probably include a massively defensive rock/ghost type to counter the overuse of Blaziken, Charizard, Aegislash, and Mimikyu and now we have Assembly looking like a massively defensive rock/ghost type.

I'm still not massively excited for USUM even with Burst and Assembly on the scene. My core problem is still that they look to be largely similar to a game I first played last year, and the screenshots of identical cutscenes are not giving me a lot of hope that I'm wrong. Some new Pokémon are a nice addition, I guess, but it's not a fundamental alteration.

I'm still not massively excited for USUM even with Burst and Assembly on the scene. My core problem is still that they look to be largely similar to a game I first played last year, and the screenshots of identical cutscenes are not giving me a lot of hope that I'm wrong. Some new Pokémon are a nice addition, I guess, but it's not a fundamental alteration.
I'd personally be more hyped if the new Pokémon weren't Ub's they don't hold as much weight in MY imo as much as say a mythical legendary or new regular Pokémon. I wanna see if any of the island challenges are different well actually I'm positive they are I just want to see that

turbocat

It's happening again. It's that time of year when my Pokemon craving kicks in and the obsession starts all over again.

Only problem is I have nothing to play. I was thinking of getting into some fan games/rom hacks. Any recommendations?

Pokemon ROM hacks are a fascination of mine, though I've only played a few of them. Had a good time with Pokemon Dark Rising and Dark Rising 2. There's an entire reddit community for Pokemon ROM hacks, so maybe check that out?

brinstar

Yeah, I'm bummed that it's not a sequel. It's not the first time we've had a remixed game right after the original release but the plot of S/M seemed ripe for a sequel. Hopefully this game still has a lot of cool differences to make it satisfying.

I'd personally be more hyped if the new Pokémon weren't Ub's they don't hold as much weight in MY imo as much as say a mythical legendary or new regular Pokémon. I wanna see if any of the island challenges are different well actually I'm positive they are I just want to see that

I think it looked like Lycanroc was a totem pokemon this time in one of the trailers, not sure. We also have Ryuki appearing before the postgame this time so maybe he's a leader now.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Honestly it would be the worse if Game Freak did this for the plot of Ultra Sun and Moon;

-Change up the beginning to how the player obtains the starter,
-Have the game flow as normal after that, with some new areas sprinkled in here and there,
-Have the player fight Lusamine as normal and when the player fights Solgaleo/Lunala to capture him/her Necrozma suddenly attacks and the player has to fight Necrozma to free them and the game flows as normal.

While I understand the plot will be similar to Sun and Moon what I want is Game Freak to expand on;

- Lusamine, I liked her in Sun and Moon but I felt that she was a little undeveloped so I want to see her get more screen time,

-Gladeon, like Lusamine he was also undeveloped so I want to see him fleshed out a bit,

-Ultra Beast, I didn't like how most of the Ultra Beast were shoved to post game so I hope that they will play a bigger role in the main game,

-The Tapu, I thought it was cool that Tapu Koko played a big role at the start of the game really showing how the whole Island Trial system works but it was only Tapu Koko that got any screen time and the other Tapu only got mentioned by name but never appeared on screen.

- Go more in depth behind Guzma and Lusamine relationship as it just felt a little jarring how Team Skull went from thugs to big time villain after they teamed up with The Aether Foundation.

-Give Mohn an in depth backstory, the dude is Lusamine's Husband and Lillie and Gladeon's father. There's clearly something up with him.

-Hau mentioned his dad in Sun and Moon, I want to follow up on that and not have it be brushed aside.

I am really hoping that only a small part of the plot is recycled from Sun and Moon and the majority of the plot is brand new and follows up on the loose end bait that was set up in Sun and Moon.

But in remembering how Platinum handled that, which fleshed out Cyrus, fleshed out Giratina's lore, gave Cynthia a bigger role as well as the other NPC like Barry and Rowan. I have faith that I will enjoy Ultra Sun and Moon and it will have many new surprise for me.

Plus it will be a better game than "Pokémon Z" ;p

What?

They've done literally half of Sun and Moon's quest in substantially less than a year, and blew through all of Akala Island's trials in consecutive episodes. Whatever else you say about the Sun and Moon anime, it is not dragging its feet.

Sorry but when I meant slow pace I meant in the sense that they don't seem to be in any hurry to plough through the rest of the Island Trials, which is a good thing, and seem to be content in letting Ash's team grow at a slower rate as he's currently has 4 Pokémon with one recently evolved and two empty spot, which I suspect will get filled in at Ula' ula Island with one being a potential new Alola form.

But yeah, the pacing of the animé is good, not too slow but not too fast either.

I think it looked like Lycanroc was a totem pokemon this time in one of the trailers, not sure. We also have Ryuki appearing before the postgame this time so maybe he's a leader now.

It was just the animation for Lycanroc new Z move, I don't think its a totem Pokémon.

kyo2004

With this Kanto special in the anime, I'm almost sure that Gyms are coming back in Ultra Sun/Moon, especially with the next chapter,
Mega Evo Vs. Z Moves

Make Mina matter.

They need to give her an actual trial, assuming that she's still a captain.

The question is what Pokemon would they use as the totem? Mimikyu will likely still be used in the ghost trial and looking through the Gen 7 Pokemon, there doesn't seem to be anything that would really fit. The closest would probably be Ribombee?

I wonder if they'd use older Pokemon, or maybe entirely new ones?

GoldStarz

They need to give her an actual trial, assuming that she's still a captain.

The question is what Pokemon would they use as the totem? Mimikyu will likely still be used in the ghost trial and looking through the Gen 7 Pokemon, there doesn't seem to be anything that would really fit. The closest would probably be Ribombee?

I wonder if they'd use older Pokemon, or maybe entirely new ones?

Assuming they use their signature Pokemon, Mina would use a Granbull since that's the Pokemon that inspired her to start painting in the first place.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I was catching up on the Sun and Moon animé and I got to the episode where Ash caught Litten.

The episode was beautifully done and the writer and animators were clever to not directly say it but at the same time was made quite clear that the Stoutland had passed away.

Mina is the painter that gives you the fairy z crystal right? That was so random and half done lol screamed sequel/third version now that I think about it

Yep, Sun and Moon had quite a few sequel/third hook bait and they were blatantly obvious.

JoeM86

Well no, it's an enhanced version

I'm currently watching that Pod cast that Joe's in and while I never pay any mind to /vp/ rumors the one they mentioned on the pod cast seems interesting. It's been post in the other thread on gaming side but at that time I didn't know that the "leakers" (used loosely here) user name was "USUM" and he put this rumor up on 28 Mar 2017. Before Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon was revealed. Half the stuff on his list was proven correct and we still need to learn more to see if the rest of the list is correct. The podcast members pointed out this rumor was put up in a time when we were still thinking and talking about Pokémon Stars. Also Joe doesn't seem to take part in this part of the conversation maintaining his integrity, what a gentleman. Lol...

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Here's the post:

lCn4nPW.jpg

He got the title right.
There are new Ultra Beasts.
There are new Z-Moves and new Necrozma Forms
While we haven't seen any old baddies, we do see R/A/M/G/P/F emblems are selectable in the Photo Club mode.

Only one that's been "contradicted" is the new trailer shows Hau in regular clothes, but maybe he gets them later on?

He still seems to have the same clothes during the UB scene with Hala, which I think was pretty late into the game.

I'm guessing Buzzwole/Pheromosa were replaced with Burst/Assembly. The other difference is that Hau was originally on Aether Paradise with the protag, Lillie, and Gladion during that scene in S/M.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Starting to get that itchy feeling to start building my Ultra Sun and Moon team but I really can't until I get more info if we get new Alola form and what Pokémon gets them and what type.

Plus I really need to know what move tutor moves we will get as a few of the Pokémon that I want to use need better moveset.

Here's the post:

lCn4nPW.jpg

He got the title right.
There are new Ultra Beasts.
There are new Z-Moves and new Necrozma Forms
While we haven't seen any old baddies, we do see R/A/M/G/P/F emblems are selectable in the Photo Club mode.

Only one that's been "contradicted" is the new trailer shows Hau in regular clothes, but maybe he gets them later on?

Yeah I am of the camp of the fact the person has no insider information and just made a lucky guess and ended up being correct.

I pulled this crap with Black and White 2 with a vague "Oh we will see old characters return" and I ended up being right with the Gym Leaders and champions of past regions returning for the Pokémon World Tournament.

^^^^
User name USUM way before when we were talking about Stars is a HELL OF A GUESS. I'm not arguing for this rumor though mainly because it's not enough fanfic for me.

He still seems to have the same clothes during the UB scene with Hala, which I think was pretty late into the game.

I'm guessing Buzzwole/Pheromosa were replaced with Burst/Assembly. The other difference is that Hau was originally on Aether Paradise with the protag, Lillie, and Gladion during that scene in S/M.

True but let's say he does get new clothes it could always come late game like Lili did. Also, doesn't that scene happen after the second island before you go to the third island? That wouldn't be too late. I just brought it up because the Podcast had some points for this rumor.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The Kanto reunion episode was pretty fun...but disappointed how little of Ash's Pokemon we saw.

We saw Tauros, we saw Muk (so he could be compared to Alola Muk), and we saw Bulbasaur and, well, that was it pretty much. Rotom snapped a pic of the Squirtle Squad, though, with Ash's Squirtle but he seemed to be traveling around Kanto during the episode so who knew where it was. Apparently at the end all he left to snap a picture of was Mew (hiding at Oak's lab) so, uh, he met Mewtwo I guess?

Corphish and Totodile popped up for a second, though it never said they were Ash's but apart from a random Corsola and Bellossom they were the only non-native Kanto Pokemon hanging at Oak's lab so I imagine that was the intent.

But, I knew we wouldn't see all 50+ of Ash's Pokemon, but I'm surprised they didn't even finish off the Kanto dudes---no Charizard (outside of a flashback) despite being at Oak's lab since BW and having it meet Kaki's, no Kingler, and no Snorlax. And I guess no Primeape...y'know, since that BW Season 2 OP showed it at the lab?

I also wish we saw at least one Kalos Pokemon since we never saw them at the Lab before, though presumably they are. Well, maybe they'll pop up next episode before they head back to Kanto.

As for the others, Brock used Geodude and Crobat, which was neat and Misty used Staryu---maybe the Corsola hanging out at Oak's Lab was supposed to be hers? We see Psyduck next episode alongside Gyrados, so I'm hoping they show her other Pokemon like Politoed, Luvdisc (she got in a Chronicles episode), and that Azurill Tracy gave her in Battle Frontier. Oh, yeah, Tracy wasn't even mentioned haha. But Brock's siblings got a cameo as did Misty's sisters.

Mr-Joker

Banned
^^^^
User name USUM way before when we were talking about Stars is a HELL OF A GUESS. I'm not arguing for this rumor though mainly because it's not enough fanfic for me.

Not really much of a guess if you think about it since the game put a big focus on Ultra space and the mysterious being that were the Ultra Beast.

It's just that the fandom got distracted with the "Pokémon Star" rumour with some just using it as a temporary name due to Game Freak being unpredictable.

I also wish we saw at least one Kalos Pokemon since we never saw them at the Lab before, though presumably they are. Well, maybe they'll pop up next episode before they head back to Kanto.

Unless it's Hawlucha pass on that as I don't want to see Ash's boring Kalos team, though it's just Talonflame and Hawlucha that are chilling at the lab with the rest still in Kalos.

Not really much of a guess if you think about it since the game put a big focus on Ultra space and the mysterious being that were the Ultra Beast.

It's just that the fandom got distracted with the "Pokémon Star" rumour with some just using it as a temporary name due to Game Freak being unpredictable.

I need to let you pick my lotto ticket numbers. That's all I can think of right now. Lol...

I believe there's one thing that kind of got me to somewhat believe this rumor and it's where he says it's exclusive to the 3DS because Game Freak gonna Game Freak. That may not seem like much but consider when this post was made, it was made during the Euro Gamer Stars hype train. If you don't believe that's cool. I won't push it any further unless you have some good points.

nah US/UM is way too specific. no one was even thinking they'd be two games

USUM is extremely specific.

No one was saying that anything remotely close to that.

Ok, I'm not crazy for thinking that was too specific. Lol...

GoldStarz

DId he specifically name out Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon because otherwise, I don't buy into it. For one, he's posting some stuff we know doesn't happen and two, he's posting stuff he "wants to see". Sometimes I shorten GoldStarz to GS, but it doesn't mean Gold/Silver. USUM here could just mean something completely different.

CassSept

I mean, given the size of the fandom it would be believable one guy would get a lucky guess. USUM is very specific, but we have the precedence of a generation with no remakes having a set of sequels and 'Ultra', as said above, refers to Ultra Space and Ultra Beasts. Other points in his post aren't really hard to guess either.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
The thing that has me believing the rumour is the "camera BS" comment and Alola Photo Club being a thing. That seems too specific to me. That, and the name.

The thing that has me doubting is Hau's supposed change of clothes when he seems to be wearing the same ones during Assembly/Bursts invasion, which should be pretty late in the game.

I want it to be real. New Alolan forms is all I'm asking for. I think it has a chance of happening regardless of whether the rumour is true or not. I'm just a bit iffy they chose to reveal the new UB's first. You'd think they'd showcase them after Alolan forms due to their legendary-esque status, but I don't know.

True but let's say he does get new clothes it could always come late game like Lili did. Also, doesn't that scene happen after the second island before you go to the third island? That wouldn't be too late. I just brought it up because the Podcast had some points for this rumor.
I think it's before you go to the fourth island. When Lusamine goes into Ultra Space.

The thing that has me believing the rumour is the "camera BS" comment and Alola Photo Club being a thing. That seems too specific to me. That, and the name.

The thing that has me doubting is Hau's supposed change of clothes when he seems to be wearing the same ones during Assembly/Bursts invasion, which should be pretty late in the game.

I want it to be real. New Alolan forms is all I'm asking for. I think it has a chance of happening regardless of whether the rumour is true or not. I'm just a bit iffy they chose to reveal the new UB's first. You'd think they'd showcase them after Alolan forms due to their legendary-esque status, but I don't know.

New Alola forms will probably get the fans more excited. They might wanna hold onto that announcement until it's closer to launch.

I am in the market for one new 3DS Pokemon game. I'd like to try and get back in.

Which of the following is considered the best?

X
OmegaRuby
Sun/UltraSun

For context I played Gen 1, 2, and 3 when they first came out and haven't played anything after Emerald except for HeartGold.

GoldStarz

I am in the market for one new 3DS Pokemon game. I'd like to try and get back in.

Which of the following is considered the best?

X
OmegaRuby
Sun/UltraSun

For context I played Gen 1, 2, and 3 when they first came out and haven't played anything after Emerald except for HeartGold.

Gen 6 was pretty meh in most regards, so Sun/Moon is the best of those three easily, although you might want to wait until November since right now it's looking like Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon will just be enhanced versions of those games.

Gen V is probably the best gen overall though since B/W have some of the best characters and stories and B2W2 is probably the meatiest of any Pokemon game when it comes to content and they're both also playable on the 3DS.

Gen 6 was pretty meh in most regards, so Sun/Moon is the best of those three easily, although you might want to wait until November since right now it's looking like Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon will just be enhanced versions of those games.

Gen V is probably the best gen overall though since B/W have some of the best characters and stories and B2W2 is probably the meatiest of any Pokemon game when it comes to content and they're both also playable on the 3DS.
Can I just play Black 2 or should I play Black as well?

Top Bottom