• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Aggrotek

I thought you had become one of the enlightened ones, but I was wrong. Not as wrong as you though, because Gen 2 is easily the worst Gen.

evnZz.png

Wiseblade

Gen 2 has the worst roster and a quick nostalgic hop to Kanto that only becomes fleshed out in HeartGold/SuperiorSilver. They're good games, but it's still the worst Generation.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Has there been any events for B/W since like... uh... January?

Kokonoe

Banned
If it ain't list, it ain't nothin'.

Best Pokemon Generations

1. 2nd 10/10
2. 1st 10/10
3. 3rd 9.5/10
4. 4th 9/10
5. 5th 7.5/10

Think i'll mix it up and put my own personal ratings as well for the games.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
We just had one like, a couple months ago giving away Reshiram or Zekrom to the versions they weren't in over Wi-Fi. If that's what you meant?

So, nothing new then. Just checking.

btkadams

yeah, gen 4 was the weakest (by far) for me. i really loved the pokemon designs, but the plot and setting were both pretty weak imo.

I take it back what the heck was I thinking, gen iv is my least favourite. Forgot about how slow the pacing felt. Thank god Platinum at least made the gen playable. Diamond and Pearl though just felt too sluggish to me.

Boogiepop

I definitely liked G/S least, but I think at least 50% of that was getting thoroughly screwed by Sudowoodo. I thought it was like Snorlax so I didn't worry when I killed it, figuring there'd be at least a few later. And then nobody else had one, so I couldn't complete my dex. Haven't completed a dex since. :(

yeah, gen 4 was the weakest (by far) for me. i really loved the pokemon designs, but the plot and setting were both pretty weak imo.

Gen IV is my least favourite for different reasons. Barring the brilliant HeartGold and SoulSilver which may be the best standalone games in the series, DPPt just didn't click for me the way every other game did. Don't get me wrong; I still enjoyed them, but they just had that feeling that not a lot of thought was put into them. I mean, why would you have an Electric Gym Leader and a Fire-type Elite Four member if the region only has 2 Fire- and 3 Electric- types? When the third game in the generation adds new Pokémon to the Regional Dex out of necessity rather than as a design choice, you know you've messed up. I liked the plots alright (I thought the final battle with Cyrus was deservedly epic in both DP and Pt), but the designs of the Legendaries and some of the common 'mons were just lame. This is going to sound a bit nitpicky, but Gen IV also had my least GUI of the series. I dunno why; something about it (maybe the large, coloured Playskool buttons) just rubs me the wrong way. This brings me to my final and biggest issue with Generation IV: It's just so dang slow. Everything about it, from the entry animations to the health bars to the player characters moved at an excruciating pace, making affairs take far longer than they should. Diamond and Pearl in particular suffer from this, due to the large amount of grinding pre-Elite Four (an issue stemming from the small number of powerful trainers lategame and the high levels that your team must be at to have a shot at the title) which made every battle into a chore. Heck, in my second playthrough of Platinum I just said "screw it" and defeated the Elite Four with a team of Pokémon in the low 50s.

Overall, I just think that Generation IV was beaten on just about every level by other Gens, from creativity (Gen III) to content (Gen II) to speed (Gen V), and is my least favourite generation as a result.

/endrant

I base Generations off of the Fire types. Gen 1 always wins due to Growlithe, Ponyta, Vulpix and Charmander (Moltres that ugly ass rubber chicken loses points though).

The other gens usually have 1 good fire type and like 3 or 4 shit ones. There are so few fire types :(

Gravijah

I base Generations off of the Fire types. Gen 1 always wins due to Growlithe, Ponyta, Vulpix and Charmander (Moltres that ugly ass rubber chicken loses points though).

The other gens usually have 1 good fire type and like 3 or 4 shit ones. There are so few fire types :(

gen v has volcarona which is basically the greatest fire type ever.

I agree somewhat, especially about the speed, that horrible soul-crushing speed. That's the primary reason why Platinum is the breakpoint for IV.

Although, gym leaders being around with not enough of their type is not too bad (See: Lance) - as long as the team feels good enough, it should be fine. Although, expanding the regional Dex was a welcome change.

I agree somewhat, especially about the speed, that horrible soul-crushing speed. That's the primary reason why Platinum is the breakpoint for IV.

Although, gym leaders being around with not enough of their type is not too bad (See: Lance) - as long as the team feels good enough, it should be fine. Although, expanding the regional Dex was a welcome change.

Volkner:

Raichu
Luxray
Ambipom
Octillery

Flint:

Infernape
Rapidash
Steelix
Drifblim
Lopunny

Having 2 Pokémon of the same type is not basis for a themed team/character. I'd honestly have preferred them to have doubles like Bruno, Agatha or Lance. It would have been better if one or both of them were non-typed like Blue in Gen II. At least Platinum fixed this issue, thank god.

this thing is quite ugly. just an overdesigned pos. larvesta is alright though. when i heard there was a fire/bug type, i was excited for a second until i found it :s

637Volcarona.png

simpler is better. now lemme go find more growlithe gifs.

Having 2 Pokémon of the same type is not basis for a themed team/character. I'd honestly have preferred them to have doubles like Bruno, Agatha or Lance.
I know their teams, but there's a reason I mentioned Lance...

Dragonite
Dragonite
Dragonite
Aerodactyl
Charizard
Gyarados

Which is what I meant when I said it's been done before (This is in contrast to his other team in the rematch, which is awesome). I wasn't disagreeing too much, only to say that it wasn't the first time, and I didn't mind when it happened. Anyways, Platinum teams were much better, so I don't even mind anymore :p

Gravijah

this thing is quite ugly. just an overdesigned pos. larvesta is alright though. when i heard there was a fire/bug type, i was excited for a second until i found it :s

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/6b/637Volcarona.png[IMG]

simpler is better. now lemme go find more growlithe gifs.[/QUOTE]

how the hell is that overdesigned? smh. it's one of the few fire types that look great. growlithe is definitely not one of them.

Top Bottom