• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

I know their teams, but there's a reason I mentioned Lance...

Dragonite
Dragonite
Dragonite
Aerodactyl
Charizard
Gyarados

Which is what I meant when I said it's been done before (This is in contrast to his other team in the rematch, which is awesome). I wasn't disagreeing too much, only to say that it wasn't the first time, and I didn't mind when it happened.

Oh, okay. In that case, I agree. You have to admit though, despite three quarters of Lance's team being comprised of Pokémon from the same family, it's still super exciting every time you fight him. I'm personally hoping that a future game will give us the opportunity to fight every past Champion as a sidequest, if only to hear those epic themes again.

iYIdYGjENC7mz.gif
iJAenqbxR4TND.gif

how the hell is that overdesigned? smh. it's one of the few fire types that look great. growlithe is definitely not one of them.

its too busy. spots, and the crossed lines in the eyes, the segmented blue parts of its body with even more spots and the ear/tusk things. it could lose a lot of that and look better.

But it's not part of the original 151 and that means it's automatically TERRIBLE!

im not a gen 1 snob, but it did have all the good fire types. later generations just cant compare.

Kokonoe

Banned
I think Volcarona looks interesting. One of the Gen 5 Pokemon I actually like in terms of design. I think before Gen 5 there were only 2-3 Pokemon I didn't like, however with Gen V it's at least 30+ now.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm not a fan of the Gen I Fire Pokemon, to be honest, mainly because Growlithe, Flareon, Rapidash, Ninetails, Charizard, and Moltres are all kind of...I dunno, boring? Well, with the former three, they're the type of Pokemon you often see furry-ized, I guess I'll admit I don't enjoy "beautiful mammalian" Pokemon like them, and the latter two just never interested me.

Best Gen I Fire Type is Magmar! ;)
Always been a fan of the more ugly Pokemon, I guess. Just more charming to me.

Link1110

I'm going through Japanese red now, having never beat a Pokemon game. Just beat Kasumi/Misty, am I going to get a chance to go back to that cave and catch a rock type before the next gym?

backlot

I can't believe anyone could hate Volcarona. I love that guy.

@Link1110: You can if you get the Cut HM and take a detour through Diglett Cave. It's not really worth it though because it's a pretty long way and the Geodude you'd catch would be pretty under leveled at that point. Maybe you should just catch a Diglett or teach one of your current Pokemon Dig.

Link1110

I can't believe anyone could hate Volcarona. I love that guy.

@Link1110: You can if you get the Cut HM and take a detour through Diglett Cave. It's not really worth it though because it's a pretty long way and the Geodude you'd catch would be pretty under leveled at that point. Maybe you should just catch a Diglett or teach one of your current Pokemon Dig.
I heard that all tha gyms Pokemon are lightning types, so I wanted a geodude because my pikachu couldn't hurt the geodudes.

MikeMyers

Gen. I is my favourite, but maybe I'm blinded my nostalgia.

Gen. II is okay, Gen. III was my 2nd favourite, Gen IV I really liked the Physical/Special Split. I've actually never played B&W O_O

Gen. I is my favourite, but maybe I'm blinded my nostalgia.

Gen. II is okay, Gen. III was my 2nd favourite, Gen IV I really liked the Physical/Special Split. I've actually never played B&W O_O

What are you still doing here? Fly, to your nearest gaming retailer and procureth thee a copy of White version! You're missing out on one of the finest games in the series!

What are you still doing here? Fly, to your nearest gaming retailer and procureth thee a copy of White version! You're missing out on one of the finest games in the series!
Blasphemy, Black is superior.

Or should I say

serperior

(Granted, we're at a point now where online trading is a viable enough option that your version of choice doesn't really matter anymore)

MikeMyers

I've been going through the entire series again. Done Gen I and Gen II, on Ruby right now.

BTW, I agree with you on D&P. A Dragon type trainer having Gyarados and Charizard kind of makes sense, but WTF at a Fire type trainer having Steelix? But I think Platnium was an improvement.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Co-sign. Most of us at least agree Black/White are the best, tightest, and most refined in the series, and the saner 59% of us agree White is the better of that pair.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ha! That was so fun. I just The house with the musicians and they ask if you want to hear and they add more detail to the theme music. The detail in this game is soooo cool.

Hey speakin of which. The screen of my dsl has kinda been getting me down. So I've been thInking bout getting a dsi. And I like th line green version from Japan. I know the dsi is region locked for eshop stuff but what about the dsi exclusive feature of black? Will they work fine on a Japanese dsi?

Edit: and they just implie you'll meet "someone" hahahaha this Is delightful.

D-Pad

Guys, I deleted my sister's Pokemon Black save by mistake, and now my friends are telling me I'm dead. How dead am I?

Pietepiet

Restarted my copy of Heart Gold. Goodbye, Spiky-Eared Pichu :(

On the plus side, really loving replaying it again. I forgot how much I liked about this game. Pokémon walking behind you is the best <3 Shame that was not in B/W

Kokonoe

Banned
Restarted my copy of Heart Gold. Goodbye, Spiky-Eared Pichu :(

On the plus side, really loving replaying it again. I forgot how much I liked about this game. Pokémon walking behind you is the best <3 Shame that was not in B/W

I'm going to have to restart mine whenever I eventually rebuy it, as I lost my HeartGold a year or so ago when I left GameStop with Bayonetta. I've never lost a Pokemon game before as I still have my original Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, etc. With Gold being my favorite version, it's just crazy that I lost it. I have Diamond and Platinum of all things too, plus I've never lost a DS game besides that one.

Wichu

What's your reasoning behind this? White has the better Legendaries, the better Opelucid City, the better final Gym Leader, and the better version-exclusive area and Pokémon (minus the unfortunate exclusion of Whimsicott). It's just all-around better.

There's an in-game trade for Whimsicott, making White superior in all aspects.

What Pokemon are obtainable in every game (without trades)? I know Magikarp is one of them.

Depends what you mean by obtainable; Magikarp isn't catchable in Black and White, but can be bought from a post-game NPC. Pikachu doesn't count any more, despite its image being plastered throughout the game.

Also, the likes of Machop, who were previously available everywhere which wasn't Colosseum or XD, are available through White Forest only, which means you can't get them in Black.

EDIT: I suggest leaving Dream World out, lest we all get confused.

Wiseblade

What's your reasoning behind this? White has the better Legendaries, the better Opelucid City, the better final Gym Leader, and the better version-exclusive area and Pokémon (minus the unfortunate exclusion of Whimsicott). It's just all-around better.

Say "Pokémon Black" out loud.

Now, say "Pokémon White" out loud.

Which one sounded cooler?

I find this holds true all the way back to the Red/Blue days.

The primary version (Red, Gold, Ruby, Diamond, Black) just has a "cooler" sounding name. I think that's why they tend to sell better, though I believe both versions of Silver sold better than Gold.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I find this holds true all the way back to the Red/Blue days.

The primary version (Red, Gold, Ruby, Diamond, Black) just has a "cooler" sounding name. I think that's why they tend to sell better, though I believe both versions of Silver sold better than Gold.

White's also sold better than Black, IIRC.

Hmm, might be the first time two second-versions in a row have sold better? (SoulSilver and White.)

Say "&#12509;&#12465;&#12483;&#12488;&#12514;&#12531;&#12473;&#12479;&#12540; &#12502;&#12521;&#12483;&#12463;" out loud.

Now, say " &#12509;&#12465;&#12483;&#12488;&#12514;&#12531;&#12473;&#12479;&#12540; &#12507;&#12527;&#12452;&#12488;" out loud.

Which sounds cooler?

Hint: It's the second one.

Better. Cover. Legendaries. Do. Ho. Ho.

---

Maybe another reason could be because when you say them both, one is always said before the other. And it held true for the games, before 4th gen. Or is it possible that because they came much later in the DS's life, they were less susceptible to instant 'pick up this version first since it's first' sort of deal? Or maybe it's because people wanted to pick the opposite version this time around (for HGSS). Who knows.

Top Bottom