• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Younicorn

Neo Member
Need some advice/tips.

I'm trying to breed for a strong IV'd and Timid Houndour so when my Japanese copy of SS shows up I can Masuda method for a shiny.

Currently I have two Houndours in the day care - neither of which are Timid so I can't use the Everstone to pass down the nature.

However, both of them have strong IV's, and I'm passing down the Special Attack from the father (27-31) and speed from the mother (24-29) and just hoping that a Timid Houndour pops out with good IV's, as obviously it is going to have a 27-31 S. Atk and 24-29 Speed.

Knowing that I'm passing down those two, should I NOT pass down Speed from the mom as the Timid nature increases the Speed anyways?

Should I pass down another strong IV from the mom and let the Timid nature take care of the Speed category?

Do we have any data on what natures to do IV's in terms of numbers? Will a Timid Pokemon ALWAYS have, for example > 25 in that IV?

upandaway

Natures do nothing to IVs, no sir.

That said it depends on what you want the Hondour to do. The one I had before relied a lot on wisping shit, so speed was way more important than SA.

I'm not 100% on this (someone chip in), but I think even without items, there's a certain chance of an IV being passed down to the child. So even if he's your Everstone parent, it's good to have the best IVs you can.

And your result is gonna be the parent of a shiny anyway, so there's no point in being THAT precise.

Since when was one of each pair of Pokémon games considered 'primary'?
Red/Blue
Gold/Silver
Ruby/Sapphire
Diamond/Pearl
Black/White

Basically, the one that's said first is 'primary' by default. Doesn't really say much about the games themselves, of course.

LeleSocho

Banned
IT'S RANKING TIME!!!
Who's the best legendary Pokémon with all the base stat at 100? My personal ranking is:
1)Celebi
2)Jirachi
3)Mew/Shaymin
4)Manaphy
5)Victini

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
IT'S RANKING TIME!!!
Who's the best legendary Pokémon with all the base stat at 100? My personal ranking is:
1)Celebi
2)Jirachi
3)Mew
4)Manaphy
5)Victini

1. Mew
2. Victini
3. Celebi
4. Jirachi
5. Manaphy
6. Shaymin (normal)

Sky Form Shaymin would be #4 but its stats are all over the place, even though they still add up to 600.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
1. Jirachi (Doom Desire is an awesome move name, Steel / Psychic is great typing, versatile being able to setup, play defensive role, physical and special choice sets, or scarf, nice design)
2. Victini (I really love Victini's design and Fire Pokemon in general. Unique typing (shared only by never used Zen Mode Darmanitan, great move pool)
3. Manaphy (Stupidly powerful and intimidating in Rain, with just enough of a move pool to wreck everything. Not the biggest fan of the design, but base 100s are not all that great for the most part in that respect).
4. Celebi (Nasty Plot Celebi moves her ahead of Shaymin, and Psychic / Grass is an interesting typing. While Psychic is mostly frowned upon for its weaknesses, it gives Celebi the chance to switch into many more Pokemon and gives it a sizable move pool)
5. Shaymin (Would be second with Sky form, but as it is, a pretty mediocre typing and movepool compared to other base 100s)
6. Mew (Never really cared about Mew. Obviously the most amazing move pool imaginable, but the generic design lets it down)

You guys could rank the pseudo legendaries too (Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Garchomp, Hydreigon), or all Pokemon with base 600 stats. :p

MikeMyers

LETS SETTLE THIS

RED VS BLUE:

Beedrill Vs Butterfree
Arbok Vs Sandslash
Primeape Vs Persian
Arcanine Vs Ninetails
Vileplume Vs Victreebel
Electabuzz Vs Magmar
Scyther Vs Pinsir

Caterpie and Weed;e are in both games, but Caterpie is common in Blue and rare in Red, where as Weedle is Vice Versa

Depends what you mean by obtainable; Magikarp isn't catchable in Black and White, but can be bought from a post-game NPC. Pikachu doesn't count any more, despite its image being plastered throughout the game.

Also, the likes of Machop, who were previously available everywhere which wasn't Colosseum or XD, are available through White Forest only, which means you can't get them in Black.

EDIT: I suggest leaving Dream World out, lest we all get confused.

OK, I find a page that has Pokemon obtainable in every game from R&B-HG&SS. Then I researched to see if you can obtain them in Black & White, and yes I did leave Dream World out.

Pikachu - Not in Black & White
Zubat - You can catch a Golbat on Route 13
Psyduck - Golduck at Route 11
Abra - White Forest in White, not obtainable in Black
Machop - Same as Abra
Tentacool - Not in Black & White
Geodude - Challenger's Cave
Magnemite - See Machop
Rhyhorn - Same Magnemite
Goldeen - Route 3 with Super Rod
Magikarp - Magikarps Salesman

Oh yeah forgot Jigglypuff

You guys could rank the pseudo legendaries too (Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Garchomp, Hydreigon), or all Pokemon with base 600 stats. :p

Very well then; I'll accept your challenge.

1. Hydreigon (Dark has always been my favourite type, plus this fella's got great stats and a stupidly large movepool. I love him so much.)

2. Tyranitar (Gets the Dark-type advantage along with a really cool design and capability as a Physical or Special tank in a Sandstorm)

3. Garchomp (LANDSHARK! Unique typing and ridiculous stats aside, this dude is awesome simply because of his design. How many other dragon-jet-shark-hydralisk hybrids can you think of?)

4. Salamence (Cool-looking and a great movepool. Also one of the more fascinating evolutionary lines in regards to the "story" surrounding it.)

5. Metagross (The "X" that forms its angry eyebrows/frown is clever, but he's simply outclassed by most of the other pseudos.)

6. Dragonite (I'm sorry, buddy. It's not you; it's me. Even if you don't have the greatest movepool or best designs of the pseudo-legendaries, you'll always have your epic Hidden Ability and the distinction of being the most over-used Pokémon by members of the League. I still love you. Don't ever change.)

Kokonoe

Banned
Beedrill > Butterfree
Arbok > Sandslash
Persian > Primeape
Ninetails > Arcanine
Victreebel > Vileplume (Oddish is the coolest though)
UHLECTUHBUHZ > Magmar
Scyther > Pinsir I'd be surprised if someone liked Pinsir more than Scyther.

4 Red 3 Blue

Red Wins.

Butterfree > Beedrill
Arbok > Sandslash (though Sandslash has a kewl design, I practically never used him.)
Primeape >>>>>>>> Persian
Arcanine > Ninetales (*summons UltimateIke*)
Victreebel > Vileplume (Victreebel was a total bro on my SS team. I didn't use him in RBY, though.)
Electabuzz > Magmar (The entire line.)
Scyther > Pinsir (Pinsir hardly gets any love :( )

Gravijah

I have to ask. Are you saying that to be different? Or do you genuinely like Pinsir more?
And when I say this, i'm not implying that I don't believe you.

i genuinely prefer pinsirs design, and was sad that scyther got an evo and pinsir didn't.

so now i pretend heracross is his evo.

Kokonoe

Banned
i genuinely prefer pinsirs design, and was sad that scyther got an evo and pinsir didn't.

so now i pretend heracross is his evo.

That is strange now that I think about it. Scizor went from Bug to Metal, I wonder what type Pinsir would be if it evolved?

MikeMyers

01. Beedrill Vs Butterfree

In Gen. I Bug is SE against Poison, so Twineedle cleans up all those damn Poison types you have to face (including Erika's entire Gym)

02. Arbok Vs Sandslash

Never really used either, but I guess Sandslash is cooler.

03. Primeape Vs Persian

Persian is cool but I never really used him, Mankey was good to fight Brock when I picked Charmander as starter.

04. Arcanine Vs Ninetails

I always liked Ninetails, and he gets Confuse Ray which is actually pretty awesome.

05. Vileplume Vs Victreebell

I prefer Victreebell, but it doesn't matter as the majority of the time Bulbasaur was my Grass type

06. Electabuzz Vs Magmar

I like both, but I think I'm gonna side with Electabuzz here.

07. Scyther Vs Pinsir

Scyther, one of the most badass designs ever.

Red: 4
Blue: 3

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
RED VS BLUE:
Beedrill Vs Butterfree (toughest to choose)
Arbok Vs Sandslash
Primeape Vs Persian
Arcanine Vs Ninetails
Vileplume Vs Victreebel
Electabuzz Vs Magmar
Scyther Vs Pinsir

Gravijah

Beedrill Vs Butterfree
Arbok Vs Sandslash
Primeape Vs Persian
Arcanine Vs Ninetails
Vileplume Vs Victreebel
Electabuzz Vs Magmar
Scyther Vs Pinsir

4 to 3 blue. but a lot of the pokemon i didn't pick, like scyther, magmar, primeape and butterfree i really like.

Aggrotek

I honestly don't get how people like Sandslash. Easily one of the worst Ground-types in the entire series.

Worst how? Statwise? Stats don't matter to me. Looks do, and Sandslash get's all the ladies.

200px-028Sandslash.png

Also his shiny is awesome:
028.gif

RED VS BLUE:
Beedrill Vs Butterfree
Arbok Vs Sandslash
Primeape Vs Persian
Arcanine Vs Ninetails
Vileplume Vs Victreebel
Electabuzz Vs Magmar
Scyther Vs Pinsir

RED>BLUE
I am sure I had a Butterfree in Red though. Or FireRed at least.

Kokonoe

Banned
Looks like Red is winning the polls. To be honest, the Pokemon aren't a complete reason i'd pick Red over Blue. I find the color Red more appealing than Blue, and Charizard more appealing than Blastoise.

Ultratech

LETS SETTLE THIS

RED VS BLUE:

Beedrill Vs Butterfree No contest.
Arbok Vs Sandslash
Primeape Vs Persian Primeape is awesome. Nuff said.
Arcanine Vs Ninetails Arcanine had a shit moveset in R/B.
Vileplume Vs Victreebel Victreebel scares me.
Electabuzz Vs Magmar Fire duck FTW
Scyther Vs Pinsir Seriously?

Read above.

As for pseudo-legendaries...

1. Tyranitar - Always been my favorite since G/S/C. I remember building up my first one all those years ago. Such a beast.
2. Metagross - Steel and Psychic? Hell yes. Very awesome to use and have.
3. Dragonite - Used to use this guy in my Yellow and Silver runs. Eats stuff up.
4. Garchomp - NOM NOM NOM I JUST ATE YOUR POGEYMANS!
5. Salamence - Was surprised how powerful it was when I used one in Colosseum and XD. Never could bother leveling one up though.
6. Hydreigon - Looks awesome as hell, but I never really used it. Pain in the ass to level up its evolutions.

Top Bottom