• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

MikeMyers

Hah! I always ignore Arcanine in favor of the fire starter (or another new fire type) until after I've beaten the Elite 4. I almost never seek out any of my favorite Pokémon until I start working on post-game content.

I always feel weird when I ditch my starter.

Only time I did was in Leaf Green, the instant Blastoise's Blizzard only did about half to Lance's Dragonite I got outta there and replaced him with Dewgong.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Cyndaquil is fine if you like boring movesets and the easiest starter to gym opponents ever.

Thing is adorable though.

Speaking of not using Arcanine, I've been thinking about which Pokémon I trained when I first played each game.

Yellow
Pikachu, Charizard, Poliwrath, Vileplume, Sandslash, Hypno

Gold
Typhlosion, Ampharos, Kingdra, Bellossom, Gengar, Steelix

Crystal
Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Meganium, Ampharos, Espeon, Umbreon

Emerald
Swampert, Blaziken, Manectric, Aggron, Gardevoir, Absol

FireRed
Charizard, Lapras, Magneton, Pidgeot, Machamp, Nidoking

Diamond
Empoleon, Torterra, Infernape, Luxray, Staraptor, Flygon

Black
Samurott, Simisear, Zebstrika, Haxorus, Gigalith, Sawk

My final team each game always consists of something along the lines of:

Arcanine
Dragonite
Exeggutor/Tyranitar
Raichu/Ampharos/Electivire
Gyarados/Kingdra/Milotic
Alakazam/Metagross/Lucario

MikeMyers

UltimateIke, I posted my in-game teams on here a while back. I'll repost for you.

Red & Blue:: Venusaur, Beedrill, Gyarados, Flareon, Gengar, Dewgong

Yellow: Pikachu, Gyarados, Venusaur, Dugtrio, Gengar, Rapidash

Crystal: Meganium, Golem, Alakazam, Gyarados, Suicune, Gengar

Ruby: Blaziken, Manetrike, Cacturne, Starmie, Gyarados, Metagross

Leaf Green: Clefable, Flareon, Dewgong, Zapdos, Gyarados, Dragonite

Platinum: Infernape, Gyarados, Garchomp, Salamence, Roserade, Glaceon

White: Serperior, Lucario, Chandelure, Mamoswine, Gyarados, Hydreigon

Any PokéGAFers going to Fan Expo Canada in Toronto next Saturday? Veronica Taylor is doing a panel and also hosting a Pokémon meet-up at noon. Should be mighty fine.

UltimateIke, I posted my in-game teams on here a while back. I'll repost for you.

Cool! I think you might like Gyarados...I know I do! :D I can't imagine you had any trouble beating the games with teams like those.

The first team that I was extra proud of (in Yellow Version, circa the spring of 2000) was Arcanine, Gyarados, Magneton, Dragonite, Exeggutor, and Alakazam. I ruled everyone at school and our shopping mall's Bookland Pokémon League with those six. But I had the hardest time deciding on Gyarados for my water type. I went through Poliwrath, Blastoise, Vaporeon, Dewgong, Starmie, and Lapras before giving the Magikarp evolution a shot. I also tried Raichu, Zapdos, and Electrode before choosing Magneton as my main electric Pokémon. On occasion, Alakazam would be rotated out for Sandslash, or upgraded to Mewtwo if the other person decided that was the way they wanted to play.

And (very early on) there were darks days when Arcanine would sometimes get substituted out for Charizard or Moltres, but I'd rather not talk about that. 11-year-old kids don't always know what they are doing and often make mistakes. ;~;

In the years since, my favorite teams have largely stuck with core members from the previous group. My most current in-game team (from Black Version) is Arcanine, Gyarados, Raichu, Dragonite, Tyranitar, and Lucario. Lucario only recently bumped Metagross off; I never cared a whole lot for Metagross beyond its utility and its status as a pseudo-legendary, and Lucario really grew on me after watching the Black 2/White 2 trailer (where the main character has an Arcanine and a Lucario). Haha.

They're all EV/IV trained and have Smogon-approved abilities/natures/movesets/hold items. Not that any of it helps make them especially competitive as a group. But I like them, and that's all that matters.

The in-game teams I tried extra hard to get perfect each generation were:

Gen I: Arcanine, Gyarados, Magneton, Dragonite, Exeggutor, Alakazam

Gen II: Arcanine, Kingdra, Ampharos, Dragonite, Umbreon, Espeon

Gen III: Arcanine, Milotic, Ampharos, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Metagross

Gen IV: Arcanine, Gyarados, Electivire, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Metagross

Gen V: Arcanine, Gyarados, Raichu, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Lucario

MikeMyers

I used Arcanine on one of my Red Teams with Body Slam, Dig, Fire Blast, and a filler move. I don't think I've used him since then, well I tried him in Johto, but could never get the Fire Stone.

Oh yeah I always use Gyarados. In fact I swept every E4 with Gyarados besides the one in Johto, I gotta change that soon. I noticed you like Dragonite and Tyranitar, the latter is one of my all time favourites.

Actually back in the day my team was just an overleveled starter and all the ledgendaries, but I've cut back on that.

My Sceptile is trying to learn Leaf Storm, which move should I make it forget?

It knows:

Quick attack
Pursuit
Leaf Blade
Mega Drain

Probably Mega Drain.

I used Arcanine on one of my Red Teams with Body Slam, Dig, Fire Blast, and a filler move. I don't think I've used him since then, well I tried him in Johto, but could never get the Fire Stone.
Yeah, it was always easier to trade Growlithe (and other stone evolution Pokémon) to a Gen I game, evolve it there, and then trade it back. I never liked them removing the ability to purchase the stones.

Oh yeah I always use Gyarados. In fact I swept every E4 with Gyarados besides the one in Johto, I gotta change that soon.
Gyarados is definitely Top 10 favorite Pokémon material. It's got to be my favorite water type, or at least very close.

I noticed you like Dragonite and Tyranitar, the latter is one of my all time favourites.
Arcanine and Dragonite used to frequently swap positions as my absolute favorite Pokémon, but Arcanine has been holding steady on top for several years now. Tyranitar almost joined those two at the beginning of Gen II, but it really wasn't until late Gen II/early Gen III it fully received my undivided attention. I don't foresee anything displacing those three from my future teams.

Gyarados is very close to joining that permanent list if it isn't on it already, and Raichu is an old favorite never too far away from being added. As it looks now, the number six spot on the team will be used to rotate between the rest of my favorites.

I sort of hate how much I love these select Gen I Pokémon because I would really like to use more variety, but I can't bring myself to replace anybody for more than a week or two. I definitely have plenty of lesser favorites from all the games; they'll just never develop the power to overcome nostalgia, I suppose.

Actually back in the day my team was just an overleveled starter and all the ledgendaries, but I've cut back on that.

Haha, I've certainly tried that strategy too. It isn't quite the same as building a real team though.

MikeMyers

Yeah, it was always easier to trade Growlithe (and other stone evolution Pokémon) to a Gen I game, evolve it there, and then trade it back. I never liked them removing the ability to purchase the stones.
Oh right, but my Cartridge doesn't work anymore. A shame, because I have an extra Gameboy and the Link Cable. And yeah, buyable stones needs to come back.

Gyarados is definitely Top 10 favorite Pokémon material. It's got to be my favorite water type, or at least very close.
Agreed. I remember liking him because he could get all the elemental moves (Surf/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Fire Blast). I remember when I get the Red Gyarados in GSC, and his moves weren't as powerful (I wasn't aware of the Special Split).

Then I saw the anime episode on how Team Rocket tried to evolve the Magikarp, and the Gyarados only evolved halfway...hence why he retained the Red Color. Then I assumed that the Red Gyarados stats were halfway between Magikarp and Blue Gyarados, hence why his Special attacks weren't as powerful.

Now a days I have been running the Bulky Set with Waterfall/Thunder Wave/Dragon Tail/Taunt, its actually a lot of fun. I'm hoping he gets Roost in the next game so he finally has recovery.

Arcanine and Dragonite used to frequently swap positions as my absolute favorite Pokémon, but Arcanine has been holding steady on top for several years now. Tyranitar almost joined those two at the beginning of Gen II, but it really wasn't until late Gen II/early Gen III it fully received my undivided attention. I don't foresee anything displacing those three from my future teams.

Gyarados is very close to joining that permanent list if it isn't on it already, and Raichu is an old favorite never too far away from being added. As it looks now, the number six spot on the team will be used to rotate between the rest of my favorites.

I had a Dragonite in RBY but never really used it, I only really started to use him in GSC when I could get ExtremeSpeed on him. I remember using the Curse + ExtremeSpeed combo in the Crystal Battle Tower.

Raichu is cool too.

I sort of hate how much I love these select Gen I Pokémon because I would really like to use more variety, but I can't bring myself to replace anybody for more than a week or two. I definitely have plenty of lesser favorites from all the games; they'll just never develop the power to overcome nostalgia, I suppose.
Oh yeah, I know what you mean. I remember checking out my GSC files and seeing that I used Kanto Pokemon. Thankfully Gamefreak made B&W Unova Pokemon exclusive until you beat the E4 for the first time...it actually made me use non-Kanto Pokemon.

Haha, I've certainly tried that strategy too. It isn't quite the same as building a real team though.
Agreed, it just feels cheap. Much better when you have a balanced team that you actually raised.

gosox333

I don't think I've ever picked a version that had the Growlithe line available in it. I've gone Blue, Silver, Ruby, Diamond, and Black. Can't say I've ever used him.

Ninetails is better anyway.

Ninetails has more defense on the Special side, and Drought cancels out his weakness to Water moves.

Arcanine has better physical defense, and Intimidate.

It's special defense is pretty good, just gotta worry about defense.

I say EV up on speed and defense and you're not bad off.

EDIT: Damn, semi-beaten. He brings up better points too.

When it comes to fire-type defenses, I'm more worried about Ground than I am about water.

MikeMyers

Yeah, gotta carry Will-O-Wisp to cripple Tyranitar and others on the switch.

If only he got a better recovery move than Plain Split though.

gosox333

When it comes to fire-type defenses, I'm more worried about Ground than I am about water.

Yeah, Earthquake's bound to cause trouble. Easily the biggest problem. The best bet is EVs and hold items, it's really all you can do.

God, so much counterbalancing. This is exactly why I don't do metagame.

MikeMyers

Drought and Drizzle annoy me, but I still have fun fighting Sandstream teams. Plus, gotta love Tyranitar.

I remember back in RSE, Sandstream was EVERYWHERE.

Wiseblade

Are people really suggesting that Ninetales > Arcanine?!

iftBpXe7TYQh9.gif

Outside of Drought, Ninetales has almost nothing going for it. Yes, it's slightly faster than Arcanine, but those sub-par HP and Defence stats mean it really can't take a hit. Fire-types in general are a lot more fearful of Earthquake and Stone Edge/Rock Slide than the are of Surf/Hydro Pump, so that decent S.Defence and Drought boost are rarely going to factor into things.

Despite having a base 100 Speed and Nasty Plot access, Ninetales isn't good offensively either. Fire Blast/Flamethrower, Solarbeam, Psychic/Dark Pulse coverage isn't bad, but Base 81 S.Attack isn't doing much unboosted.

PK Gaming

Actually, Empoleon & Arcanine aren't bad at all. I would never consider using Arcanine in OU, but in UU its a solid offensive Pokemon, because its so difficult to wall (Rock types get owned by Close Combat, Water-types can't take repeated Wild Charges, etc). I mean sure, chances are any given Pokemon you pick is bad in OU, but if it shines in other tiers (without being TOO outclassed by other things) then it's good in my books.

I'm actually a huge fan of Empoleon in pretty much all tiers. In OU, its amazing typing lets it check a TON of threats (and it gets Stealth Rock which is nice). I typically give it a berry (Shuca when Garchomp & Excadrill were legal, Chople for Tornadus-T). In UU, its pretty much the only Pokemon in the game that can reliably beat Choice Specs Kingdra and its very difficult to straight up killed when played correctly (grass types don't even reliably counter it). Oh and if you're facing Sub Agility Petaya berry lategame you're pretty much FUCKED.

♣♣♣

Oh and in other news, the 21th edition of the Smog (its like a monthly magazine for all things Pokemon) released. Check it out if you can.

Ninetales is cool too. I actually like using it on later playthroughs of the games.

For example, after buying White Version from eBay a few weeks ago, I still needed to beat some stuff the seller had left unfinished on his playthrough. I put together a Ninetales, Milotic, Ampharos, Salamence, Metagross, and Zoroark team to trade over as a sort of parallel to my normal Black Version team. I liked it pretty well. ^_^

MikeMyers

I'm reading that Smog Article and they ranked the Pseudo Ledgendaries.

Garchomp > Tyranitar > Dragonite > Salamence > Hydreigon > Metagross according to that list.

Damn, who woulda thought Dragonite would ever surpass Salamence? Glad my boy Tyranitar is still up there though.

Edit: Uh oh, they bashed Scrafty in the "Bottom of the Barrel" article

Are people really suggesting that Ninetales > Arcanine?!

iftBpXe7TYQh9.gif

Outside of Drought, Ninetales has almost nothing going for it.

Exactly, Drought means Ninetails has at least 1 thing going for it. Arcanine doesn't really have any niche in OU...a shame because it is an awesome Pokemon.

backlot

I'm reading that Smog Article and they ranked the Pseudo Ledgendaries.

Garchomp > Tyranitar > Dragonite > Salamence > Hydreigon > Metagross according to that list.

Damn, who woulda thought Dragonite would ever surpass Salamence? Glad my boy Tyranitar is still up there though.

Exactly, Drought means Ninetails has at least 1 thing going for it. Arcanine doesn't really have any niche in OU...a shame because it is an awesome Pokemon.
That Pseudo Legends list is about what I would have expected. Dragonite is amazing this gen.

MikeMyers

That Pseudo Legends list is about what I would have expected. Dragonite is amazing this gen.

Well, Stealth Rock keeps him at bay as it cuts Multiscale, but yeah, Dragonite improved a lot this gen.

Choice Scarf Salamence, on the other hand, is pure awesomeness.

I WILL DESTROY THEM

EDIT: Upon reading the article, I have decided that they earn a pittance of mercy due their mentioning of how awesome he looks.

No matter what anyone says, I'll always use the guy in OU battles.

At least I have UU buddies in UltimateIke and Wiseblade :'<

Top Bottom