• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is the closest Pokemon? The one in the top left or top right corner?

It doesn't work that way. The list isn't ordered by closeness.

As far as I see for the moment, the Pokémon the most on the left isn't the closest Pokémon. It seems like I encountered the one on the right the first.

The list's ordering has no real significance. At best it's ordered by when they were added to the list.

Vipu

Banned
How does that mean you can tell if you're closer or further? The list doesn't re-rank order based off of closeness or anything. All that's talking about is adding and removing Pokémon from the list, which means you only know if you've entered or left the maximum-scan-range radius. You can't see if you're getting closer to anything that's already within that radius.

True, and as I said it wasn't a perfect system. But it's also a crapshoot here, only before if you actually were starting to get close you'd know it.

How?

From left to right, tested myself.
Found all pokemons I wanted in few min.

From left to right, tested myself.
Found all pokemons I wanted in few min.

Either you're just lucky and it panned out that way, or my function is broken. Because I can say quite assuredly that the list, for me, is not sorted by closeness. I've had Pokémon appear that were in the middle and end of the list before the first. With the current update. As far as I can tell, Reddit backs this up.

Septic360

Banned
Either you're just lucky and it panned out that way, or my function is broken. Because I can say quite assuredly that the list, for me, is not sorted by closeness. I've had Pokémon appear that were in the middle and end of the list before the first. As far as I can tell, Reddit backs this up.

I also tested it a little. It worked MUCH better than it ever has before. It updates faster and the order seems correct. I'll deffo try it out more later though

Vipu

Banned
Either you're just lucky and it panned out that way, or my function is broken. Because I can say quite assuredly that the list, for me, is not sorted by closeness. I've had Pokémon appear that were in the middle and end of the list before the first. As far as I can tell from Reddit, it seems this is the case for most everyone else as well.

And I found this from reddit:
The list will populate with any and all pokemon within 225 or so meters, updating about every 10 seconds. It combines multiple pokemon of the same type into one on the list, and lists them in order of nearest to furthest.

Im not sure about that combining thing, didnt pay attention to that.
Was it some common pokemon you found before then?
Like was squirtle #1 in list and pidgey #3 and you found pidgey before squirtle?
Maybe it was just combined other pidgey before that other pokemon dunno.

But I myself saw Vileplume #2 and there was Spearow #1, I found that Spearow so I knew it was gonna be about right after that and it was.

CRA5H

Pokemon at the top left always have been the one closest to me. A few times I have encountered Pokemon not at the top left but that was due to me moving too fast on my bike, not allowing the app the refresh the list fast enough. This is how it has always been for me and everyone else I've played with, even with the footstep tracking.

Chaos17

If Niantics would give players detailed patchnotes like Blizzard do woud be nice but at the same time it's interesting to see players to try to figure it out (just a little)

My 'Sightings' currently lists from left to right Pidgey, Weedle and Rattata.

Visible within radar range are the Weedle and Rattata. No Pidgey in view.

Either the game is still doing the bullshit thing of showing Pokemon that no longer exist or it still isn't in correct order.

hirokazu

My buddy and cousin were spoofing into Sydney yesterday. They apparently know how to abuse the system. Plus they told me if they ever get banned they have an excuse for it. I'm just.......yes I don't get it.

I had to take down a gym that included a 2600+ and 2800+ Snorlax from Level 34/35 cheaters to get my coins today! I hope it wasn't your buddy and cousin! D:<

vikki

Not much gym experience here, but I think I need a little insight. I was doing laundry last night and decided to try and take over the gym across the street. There was just one big Snorlax (2777 cp) when I took over the gym.

The gym is a bar(& grill), so there is a possibility that some patrons were playing inside, but I doubt it. Anyway, the game wouldn't let my wife's account and my account attack at the same time, so the gym started out a little glitchy. I beat the Snorlax, pain in the ass, but then the game was giving me trouble to join the gym with my own Pokemon. It seemed to be frozen. By the time I could Join, another member of my team had joined. I put a less than 1000 Pidgeot down then tried to level the gym so I could put a Pokemon for my wife.

By that time the Gym was already under attack, so I figure I'd wait and try to steal the gym after they beat it, except the game was ridiculously slow and froze when the gym was empty again. Restarted and the other team had taken over. It was a small vaporeon (1200) and an okay Exeggutor (1600). I figured whatever, I had just beaten a 2700 Snorlax, this should be simple.

First thing that happened, Vaporeon was defeated easily by my Exeggutor, but he was zombified. I'd take its life down to 0, but then it's just stand there taking hits until time runs out. This happened twice before I said fuck it and went home (this happened after I was done with the laundry). I assume when a gym is glitchy that this will happen.

Second thing i noticed was when I got up this morning. It was two people who took over the gym when I was playing, before I went to sleep, I can check that gym from my house, a third person had joined the gym. I don't think these people were together because the third person joined about an hour later after the first two joined. I noticed when I woke up this morning that the trainers and the Pokemon at the gym had leveled up. The Vaporeon went up by almost 300 cp overnight and the trainer went up one level. Not a big deal except I was under the impression that Pokemon couldn't be leveled when in the gym. The other original trainer leapfrogged the third trainer that joined the gym, he went from level 21 to 23. Still no biggie, but the Exeggutor also went up 200 cp overnight.

I guess it all seems strange because the gym was dead until I attacked it last night around midnight. The other line red team member had low level Pokemon, which is probably why they couldn't beat the Snorlax.

8bit

Knows the Score
First thing that happened, Vaporeon was defeated easily by my Exeggutor, but he was zombified. I'd take its life down to 0, but then it's just stand there taking hits until time runs out. This happened twice before I said fuck it and went home (this happened after I was done with the laundry). I assume when a gym is glitchy that this will happen.

I've seen that happen when the GPS location is bouncy, it's quite frustrating.

LNBL

Haha so we have this beach closeby to which 100s of people flock everyday to catch pokemon, there are always like 5-6 lures on constantly. Was there from 00:00 to 03:00 last week and it was still crowded at that time.

3204457.jpg

Today the municipality is going to reveal this signs which says "Welcome to Kijkduin, the Pokémon capital of The Netherlands."

Pok%C3%A9mon-bord-Kijkduin-Victor-Borst-BALK-590x260.jpg

They have already placed several portable dixie toilets around the area and even the food shops stay open until after 02:00

Here's a bonus video of A LOT of people running for Lapras:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIIqLg5nxgY

CRA5H

At least you guys are embracing it. The City wants to remove stops from the best place in Toronto due to crowd congestion. I don't blame them since it's right at a ferry dock, causing issues for commuters.

it's so crazy they game hasn't got instructions. How does this nearby thing work? the game should explain it at least.
And explain candy, and gyms, everything.

ViciousDS

Banned
it's so crazy they game hasn't got instructions. How does this nearby thing work? the game should explain it at least.
And explain candy, and gyms, everything.

why explain it......this way Niantic can hide something thats possibly broken. Remember how long it took them to claim the catch rate and shit? This is a huge reason I can see patch notes or changes being so damn vague. They basically can let shit run wild until reddit figures it out a week or two after.

Chaos17

Seems Reddit is reaching an agreement about the tracker: it update faster and so remove pokemons that are out of range. Not yet 100% accurate like before, people are still testing.

[&#8211;]Imgunnalurk 64 points il y a 12 heures

I saw a Charmeleon on my sightings list. Ran halfway down the street and it disappeared. Did a 180 and started running the opposite direction. He popped back up on my list so I kept running. Lo and behold he was at the very top of my street. Stats are garbage and I was out of breath, but I'm giving the sightings list a passing score compared to the previous tracker.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRo...might_update_automatically_and_faster/d69qub7

Also tracking for eggs seems better too.

I haven't spent a cent on this game. There's really no need

My bag is full more than its not. Although I'm part of the city master race. I end up trashing potions half the time to make room for more balls.

Why the hell is pokeadvisor gone now?
Is there any other way to check IVs?

Inside

Borrowed from Reddit user Zakrael, but think it gives a good idea of how to use the new sightings feature:

bA0YM1X.png

1 You, a trainer out on a walk, check your Pokemon Go app at point A. "Hot damn, a Pidgey!" you think to yourself, as you see one in your Sightings list. You now know that you are some point within 200m of a Pidgey, but not exactly where that Pidgey is. Time to start tracking.

2 Keep walking straight ahead. Eventually, you will get more than 200m away from the Pidgey, and it will disappear from your Sightings list. This is Point B. Stop here, and take note of where you are as accurately as you can, you'll need to use this point later.

3 Turn around and go back the way you came. The Pidgey comes back into your Sightings list. Keep walking in as straight a line as you can, past point A, until the Pidgey disappears again. This is Point C, on the other side of the Pidgey's "detection circle" to point B.

4 Find the halfway point on the line you walked between points B and C (this is why you had to pay attention at B), and go there. This is point D. When at point D, make a turn and start walking at right angles to the line you just walked between B and C.

5 One of two things will happen. If you chose correctly, you'll walk right into the Pidgey. If you chose poorly, you'll end up moving away from the Pidgey and wind up at point E, where the Pidgey will disappear again. No problem there, just turn around and walk back the way you came, and eventually you'll hit Pidgey.

Why is this different to what we had previously? Well before, the Pokemon didn't disappear from your nearby list until they were either replaced or you force closed and restarted the app. Now we can accurately tell whether we are within ~200m of a Pokemon or not, which lets you reliably map out the edges of it's detection circle. Once you've found three points on the edges of a circle (B, C and E in this example), you can find the middle. Easy.

Of course, doing this before it despawns can sometimes be a challenge, especially in places where there might be buildings in the way to mess with your straight lines. But in a lot of ways, we're back to where we were on launch week with regards to tracking Pokemon. This triangulation process is exactly the same as I was using when the steps worked, but instead of marking the difference between 2 steps and 3 steps, I'm marking the difference between "there" and "not there".

Awayze

Neo Member
The radius tracking is still mediocre, by the time you map it all out and determine the right direction, the Pokemon may have despawned. It's windy and raining where I am now, it'll be like this until June 2017, making it harder to play the game. I'd much rather have Poke Vision back up.

Mik2121

The radius tracking is still mediocre, by the time you map it all out and determine the right direction, the Pokemon may have despawned. It's windy and raining where I am now, it'll be like this until June 2017, making it harder to play the game. I'd much rather have Poke Vision back up.
Where do you live??

JavyOO7

The 'sightings' thing is good. Was trying to find a dratini last night, it disappeared for a bit, I walked backed to where it was in the sightings, it reappeared. Eventually I found it.

Same with magikarp and slowpoke. Could not find the slowbro in time, though. But the sightings tracker does seem to work pretty good so far.

I'm very very happy. Can't wait to try the 'nearby' tracker that Toki and others have.

Razmos

Manchester, England. Yes, it really does rain a lot here lol. Driving about is the only option.
It's not that bad! I've been out in manchester catching pokemon loads and will be again today :p
Then again I don't really let rain stop me, I'm used to it

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I wonder if they're planning to tweak Sightings after they're done testing the new Nearby.

I don't think that adding something that at least hints at a general direction would hurt the mystery of the hunt too much.

The 'sightings' thing is good. Was trying to find a dratini last night, it disappeared for a bit, I walked backed to where it was in the sightings, it reappeared. Eventually I found it.

Same with magikarp and slowpoke. Could not find the slowbro in time, though. But the sightings tracker does seem to work pretty good so far.

I'm very very happy. Can't wait to try the 'nearby' tracker that Toki and others have.

Well, this is how the 3-step tracker worked at launch too. Only when they were within radius you could tell if they were getting closer.

This sightings tracker is still a clear downgrade from what we had.

Par Score

I also tested it a little. It worked MUCH better than it ever has before. It updates faster and the order seems correct. I'll deffo try it out more later though

You obviously weren't playing at launch. This is still so much worse than the three steps and close -> far ranking.

Pokemon at the top left always have been the one closest to me. A few times I have encountered Pokemon not at the top left but that was due to me moving too fast on my bike, not allowing the app the refresh the list fast enough. This is how it has always been for me and everyone else I've played with, even with the footstep tracking.

Nope. This has been broken since they first switched off the step tracking / everything showed as three steps.

The Pokemon under "Sightings" are not listed in any useful order.

Trackers have been back up since yesterday, go hog wild.

I wonder if they're planning to tweak Sightings after they're done testing the new Nearby.

I don't think that adding something that at least hints at a general direction would hurt the mystery of the hunt too much.

Yeah, if only they could come up with some sort of system that would do this.

pringles

Order is definitely not right. Just random. It's useless. I'm using it right now and nothing at the top has spawned yet. Just middle.
The order does seem random from what I can tell, but it's far from useless now. It updates quickly so you can tell when you're going the wrong way when the pokemon disappears from the list. At that point just walk back until it appears again then change direction. At absolute worst you'll repeat that procedure what, 3 times? And if you're in a rural area or a place you know where you can likely make an educated guess as to where spawn points are, you'll find it pretty fast.

The Cowboy

Loving the new nearby list and sightings setup, its a bit crappy in the areas with no pokestops (this really needs sorting out) - but in areas with them its so much easier than the original 3 to 1 steps during week 1 (and i would have been happy just having that back).

Am back to playing the game again now and can't wait till this new setup goes live for all.

Awayze

Neo Member
I missed a Dratini a while back too lol. What are the trackers working right now?
I've seen three Dratini now but never could find them, today I was driving, glanced at my phone and it was somewhere nearby and couldn't really stop. A non crowd sourced tracker would've been so helpful!

CRA5H

Nope. This has been broken since they first switched off the step tracking / everything showed as three steps.
Different for me. Not saying you're wrong but I'm also saying I'm not wrong. Sorry you don't have the same experience as myself and others that have this working properly. Anecdotal is anecdotal.

JavyOO7

Well, this is how the 3-step tracker worked at launch too. Only when they were within radius you could tell if they were getting closer.

This sightings tracker is still a clear downgrade from what we had.

Yeah, the tracker at launch worked fine. I'm just saying that its nice to have the sightings thing working as intended. I'm sure Niantic will improve on it further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom