• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

GulAtiCa

There's always rare candies lol. Lvl. 29 is the sweetspot in T-Tar raids if the Machamp has perfect attack.

And Rhydon is actually pretty bad right now. Rock Smash may even be more useful for T-Tar and Snorlax raids lol

True, I do have 49 rare candies now. Kinda hoarding them... Kinda want to save them for Legendaries! lol

I mainly switched my Rhydon as didn't have any good Ground move pokemons. I have a few other good Rhydons, might try switching their bug moves to Stone Edge.

Pineapple

Alright, I have a question - how do so many players have so many amazing Pokemon? I'm talking about the players with multiple 2000+ Dragonites, Blisseys, Typlosions, Tyranitars, etc. Are they catching these Pokemon, or evolving them? I've been playing a ton lately to catch up (almost level 26), and yet the only Pokemon I ever really find are Pidgey, Rattatas, Murkrow, Psyduck, Slowpoke, Spinarek, Magikarp, Hoothoot, Ledyba, etc. Every now and then I'll find something like a Chikorita, Vulpix, Growlithe, etc, but those are rare. I've never even seen a Snorlax or Lapras.

And I play in a pretty high density area near the Disney/Universal parks in Orlando. I just have no idea how so many players have multiple high level rare Pokemon. I feel like I'm missing something.

Anyway, I'm also kind of hoping that Gen 3 is right around the corner. It's been almost 5 months since the Gen 2 release, and I was hoping they would release Gen 3 for the summer...but there haven't been any rumors thus far. Hopefully it's soon before everyone goes back to school and the weather turns colder.

gutshot

Alright, I have a question - how do so many players have so many amazing Pokemon? I'm talking about the players with multiple 2000+ Dragonites, Blisseys, Typlosions, Tyranitars, etc. Are they catching these Pokemon, or evolving them? I've been playing a ton lately to catch up (almost level 26), and yet the only Pokemon I ever really find are Pidgey, Rattatas, Murkrow, Psyduck, Slowpoke, Spinarek, Magikarp, Hoothoot, Ledyba, etc. Every now and then I'll find something like a Chikorita, Vulpix, Growlithe, etc, but those are rare. I've never even seen a Snorlax or Lapras.

And I play in a pretty high density area near the Disney/Universal parks in Orlando. I just have no idea how so many players have multiple high level rare Pokemon. I feel like I'm missing something.

Anyway, I'm also kind of hoping that Gen 3 is right around the corner. It's been almost 5 months since the Gen 2 release, and I was hoping they would release Gen 3 for the summer...but there haven't been any rumors thus far. Hopefully it's soon before everyone goes back to school and the weather turns colder.

Farming nests and biomes, hatching a lot of eggs, and doing raids are the best ways to get a lot of high level Pokemon.

If you are near Disney/Universal, you should be near a water biome. Find a place that regularly spawns Magikarp, Slowpoke and Psyduck. That same spot will also spawn Dratinis at a rate of about 5-6 a day. Keep going there and you'll eventually have enough candy for some good Dragonites and Gyaradoses.

Tyranitars (and Snorlaxes and Laprases) are best acquired via raids now. Find a local raiding Discord/GroupMe/FB Messenger group and go to all the Tyranitar and Snorlax raids.

Blissey is hard to farm for. Not sure Chansey even has a biome? I only have one and I'm level 34. You just have to get lucky with 10k egg hatches, mainly.

Easiest way to get high level starters like Typholsion are via nests and raids. Check the Silph Road to find starter nests and farm those up. And hit up the level 1 raids for the Gen 2 starters. For the Gen 1 starters, you can do the level 4 raids and get them fully evolved. (Although in my experience these are the hardest raids to complete since most people would rather spend their raid passes on the better level 4 raids like Tyranitar and Lapras and Snorlax.)

Growlie19

Hatching eggs and beating raids will get you some great stuff, and visiting nests help get candies for the rarer species. Alternatively, if your area has an active Discord group or something similar, you're likely to get alerts to rare spawns or good raids. Unless you live someplace gifted with amazing spawns, just catching wilds won't get you too far.

GulAtiCa

Being near Water Biomes is great way for Dratinis & Dragonairs. That is how I have 6 Dragonites(well, 7 now, caught 1 last night for that sweet 20 candies.). Tyranitars, I got 1 via egg hatching and 2 more via Raids. Plus about to get my 4th from evolving a 98% I hatched a while back. Those I just got lucky, hatched prob 10+ Larvitars since Gen 2.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
oh wow they just randomly added 3 more stops within a block of me and a new gym wonder how many more on my route home from work will have to check tomorrow

think i also got 2 more spawns making 4 at my house will have to check in 15 more minutes to see if 4 spawn again

elguero

The idea of people having multiple Dragonites is so foreign to me lol. I've only seen four Dratinis total and I'm nearly level 32. Wish I lived closer to some water biomes.

Yeah, they were definitely taken out after the event ended. But if you still had eggs laying around since then, they would hatch into the gen 2 starters. That's probably what happened.

I guess that's what happened. I actually believed that I picked them up after the event, but perhaps I'm wrong.

The idea of people having multiple Dragonites is so foreign to me lol. I've only seen four Dratinis total and I'm nearly level 32. Wish I lived closer to some water biomes.

Dratini routinely showed up near a particular water biome in my previous hometown, but I never see it in my current area. It doesn't even show up at the beach anymore. When I used to see it in the wild, I still never understood how players were getting Dragonites.

It took me several months to have enough candy for my first Dragonite, and I won't be getting another anytime soon. I just want to change my current Dragonite's Hyper Beam to Outrage.

c-murph

I used to see one like once a week at my local park walking through it. After I learned that my town had one of those scanner maps available and I could see whenever and wherever a pokemon (dratini) spawned in the town. There's a helluva lot more than I thought there was. I'm sure if you had a vehicle and where willing to spend the entire day and gas to travel around you could end up with like 20-30 of them. Half of them don't even seem to spawn anywhere near water park areas. It's just so random. They don't seem to have nests either.

Miltank, Chancey, Blissey, don't ever seem to spawn. maybe a couple times a week... haven't been running it long enough to see.

Edit: Looking at it right now there's 5 dratinis and a Dragonair jumping around in the town. Also, 80 pikachus. I'm sure people with multiples probably use a map.

Just left a Tyranitar raid. Didn't catch him, but I did get x2 Quick TM and x2 Charge TM. The other players were split between not believing me and wanting to punch my face.

So yeah, you can hit the jackpot with the rewards for raids.

border

I tried to solo a Machamp today with a ~2300 Espeon, 3 double-Psychic Exeggecutors, Dragonite with Hurricane, and a ZH Blissey. Still can't quite beat it. The main problem is that because Confusion is such a slow attack, it's easy to miss a dodge when Machamp does his super move. It doesn't help that he spams Body Slam all the time, and if you get hit with it then wave goodbye to 50% of your HP. Oftentimes I'd build a full bar Psychic/Future Sight attack, only to get killed by Body Slam before I can use it.

I'm not sure if I should try build up another Espeon or two, or if I should use TMs to make my Blissey double-psychic.

So I started playing again after a long break

How do I get TMs?

From the new raid battles. You get one raid pass a day, and they don't stack. Spin a gym pokestop (those are new) to get the pass.

Try smaller level raids so you don't "waste" your pass on hard boss fights if you don't have a group to go with.

Beating the raid boss will get you some items, sometimes you get TMs.

thedan001

From the new raid battles. You get one raid pass a day, and they don't stack. Spin a gym pokestop (those are new) to get the pass.

Try smaller level raids so you don't "waste" your pass on hard boss fights if you don't have a group to go with.

Beating the raid boss will get you some items, sometimes you get TMs.

Awesome, will start doing T1-T2's then

gutshot

Just left a Tyranitar raid. Didn't catch him, but I did get x2 Quick TM and x2 Charge TM. The other players were split between not believing me and wanting to punch my face.

So yeah, you can hit the jackpot with the rewards for raids.

Two of each? Man, that's lucky. The last Tyranitar raid I did I didn't even get any Rare Candies, let alone TMs. I didn't even think that was possible.

GulAtiCa

My goal of walking my 98% Larivtar till it had 200+ candies is now complete. 180 km walked with bunch of Larivars hatched. Now have a nice almost fully leveled up new Tyranitar. Along with a lv 20 95% Tyranitar I have, I'm going to need probably 300 more candies. lol

Also, good thing for TMs! This one originally had horrible moves. Now onto walking a Machop

DEN7JJOW0AAOlLu.jpg:large
DEN7JryXkAI4r9h.jpg:large

Growlie19

Looks like a new Pokéstop was added to our town! Kind of stinks it was added to an already stop-dense park as opposed to one of the other two parks, which only have one at the entrance. But hey, more items for me!

I hatched two 5K's today, which became Tangela and Tyrogue (HP being its best stat). I've got four 10K's that are about 3K away from hatching, too!

Firemind

Finally powered up a 98% Dragonite which was the one goal of mine before TMs existed. Shame I wasted 620 Dratini candy to get there lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
Hey guys, what's the end date for the anniversary event?

The thread about the Ash hat says you can get him until the 13th but other sites are mentioning the 24th or something.

Growlie19

My four 10K's hatched, and I got (in order from best to worst) Chansey, Miltank, Pineco, and Sudowoodo. Not bad, and thankfully that was my last Pineco 10K hatch.

Did two raids today. Both Tyranitars. Caught them both (doubling my inventory of them!).

96% and 98% IV's.

This makes me happy.

I'm not sure if I should try build up another Espeon or two, or if I should use TMs to make my Blissey double-psychic.
Nooo. Get rid of Blissey altogether. Blissey sucks at attacking. Throw a Charizard on that team instead, let them get wiped, and jump back into the battle with a new crew.

hEist

yeah same here. Only seen 6 so far und thank god caught all 6 Dratinis (Level 36). Currently sitting on 79 candies and still need to get 46 :/ Dragonite is the last Pokemon to get my Gen1 Pokedex done (still missing the other regions).

Sometimes I just hate this game.

Firemind

Nooo. Get rid of Blissey altogether. Blissey sucks at attacking. Throw a Charizard on that team instead, let them get wiped, and jump back into the battle with a new crew.
Unless your team is wiped out at the same time the boss goes down and get possibly screwed by a bug. Blissey has her use as the final "You shall not pass" Pokemon.

gutshot

Awesome! After not seeing any that first day, they've been popping up semi-regularly in my neighborhood the past few days. Still looking for one over 80% IVs though. If nothing else, this is good progress on my Pikachu Fan and Electric medals.

Caught one randomly today. Friend who missed out on Party Hat Pikachu caught one yesterday while out of town.

That's cool, maybe I'll get another one for the Raichu.

I love the new gym system. I can consistently get 50 coins a day where I only got 10 at most every week.
On the flip side, I'm down, because no one wants to kick me out of gyms, even when I put in shit, and getting 50 coins was a quick loop around the neighborhood... Got one that's been in since the day the update launched. RIP Rhydon.

Unless your team is wiped out at the same time the boss goes down and get possibly screwed by a bug. Blissey has her use as the final "You shall not pass" Pokemon.
But he's saying he can't beat it with Blissey on his team. Blissey's the reason why.

If your team wipes at the same time the boss goes down and it bugs out, you just need to re-spin the gym's pokestop and it will take you to the boss battle.

Awayze

Neo Member
So that's what a Ashchu looks like, been a while since I played. Seen the silhouette about 3 times now including a Larvitar but too lazy to go catch them.

Hoping Pikachu pops up in my living room.

Stupid question: gyms give out one coin per 10 minutes if you have a pokemon in it, yes? I just had an Aerodactyl return to me after 26 minutes in a gym (the gym badge reads 26 minutes defended and I've never had a defender in it before), but it returned with 0 coins. Shouldn't I have 2?

EDIT: Never mind, turns out I had a pokemon return with 50 coins at 1am today, and apparently the coin limit is calculated based on when pokemon return, not when they were placed. Crap. Hope my Arcanine stays in its gym for six more hours or so!

EDIT: Never mind, turns out I had a pokemon return with 50 coins at 1am today, and apparently the coin limit is calculated based on when pokemon return, not when they were placed. Crap. Hope my Arcanine stays in its gym for six more hours or so!

It's really great, because I just know the day my Rhydon that's been in a gym for over 2 weeks returns, I will have already gotten 50 coins for the day. lolsigh

Pineapple

How does the math work for IVs when calculating things like attack and health?

For example, say you have two Machamps, each with 1500 combat power, and both know counter (12) and close combat (100). One Machamp has 0/15 IVs for attack, the other has perfect 15. How would that affect the actual damage output? And for health IVs, do they simply grant greater HP gain per combat power increase?

Top Bottom