• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Oh Niantic.... Well, I guess they are playing the long game. I surely hope we can see more of these region locked pokemon in other continents (please bring Farfetch'd to South America)

gutshot

gofestinfographic.png

Stardust bonus, please!

GulAtiCa

I'll pretty much be busy that night sadly (going to a wedding). I'll be free / etc earlier that day. I'll be ready for that global reward thingy on 7/23 - 24th.

RyanW

So once these bonuses are achieved by the people in Grant Park, everyone gets them, but are they permanent bonuses?

edit: oh I just reread the durations part, ignore me lol

This is the problem with real life events, it's great for you if you're one of the lucky ones who live near where the event is being held but for everyone else, it's a massive fuck you. No UK events is just unfair on the large player base here.

I hope slash presume they'll do further Safari Zone events in the future.

That aside - the split of activities there sounds quite good, nice motivation for both players at Go Fest and elsewhere.

Safari zone! Cool!

Oh wait, not in the US.

Also Facebook showed me photos from last year today, during the height of the PoGo crazy.

The park was packed!

Now it was almost empty when I was playing yesterday :(

Ah man, I wish there was a Safari Zone in my country. My biggest want right now is to fill out my Pokedex without spending thousands on air fares!

And I hope the egg bonus wins.

gutshot

So aside from the last thing all the unlocks are j just for Grant Park? Guess i won't bother to help then.

No, the people in Grant Park catch the types to unlock the associated reward globally. Everyone else catches Pokemon to make the global reward bonus last longer and to unlock the Mystery Challenge. Basically, everyone will get some type of bonus from the Go Fest challenge. Depending on the types caught it will either be candy, XP, stardust, egg distance, buddy distance or encounter rate.

At the moment, the community seems to heavily want the stardust bonus: http://www.strawpoll.me/13416684/r

GulAtiCa

I hatched a Miltank yesterday, finally! Pokedex now at 229.

Also, started to do something new to help increase my startdust. Every new day I'll purchase a new egg incubator (as long as I have less then 8). So at the very min I'll have 4 eggs hooked up each day. Already helping a little.

Thanks to the raids, I'm already at 200k xp into lv 35. Won't be too long till I reach lv 36. At 41 Raids now too. Did 2 Tyranitar raids yesterday, but it escaped both times. Also did 1 this morning, but errored out on it and couldn't get to the catch screen no matter what I did. Did get the items though, and already have 3 good Tyranitars, so not really bummed. Now have over 100 rare candies too.

Is anybody else more hesitant to evolve and power up rare Pokemon now that raids are so common and generally give out high IV rare Pokemon?

For example, I finally hatched 93 IV Larvitar and I have more than enough candies and stardust to evolve and max him out. However I keep seeing people catching 96-98 IV Tyranitars at raids. So I would hate to waste so many candies and stardust and then catch a better one a week later. Same thing for my Mareep. I have a 91 IV one but I just know they will switch raids bosses at some point and Ampharos is a safe bet to be a Tier 4. So I'm just sitting on my Mareep for weeks.

It's kind of an odd situation to be in. I finally have high IV rare Pokemon ready to go, but high IV rare Pokemon are much more common and easy to catch now in their final evolution forms do to raids.

CassSept

Ugh, I thought that European event would come to all Unibail-Rodamco malls, or at least to all the cities in which there is at least one mall. The way they've done it I'm screwed, I'm not travelling hundreds of km for a single day Pokemon Go event, what a pain.

Firemind

Is anybody else more hesitant to evolve and power up rare Pokemon now that raids are so common and generally give out high IV rare Pokemon?

For example, I finally hatched 93 IV Larvitar and I have more than enough candies and stardust to evolve and max him out. However I keep seeing people catching 96-98 IV Tyranitars at raids. So I would hate to waste so many candies and stardust and then catch a better one a week later. Same thing for my Mareep. I have a 91 IV one but I just know they will switch raids bosses at some point and Ampharos is a safe bet to be a Tier 4. So I'm just sitting on my Mareep for weeks.

It's kind of an odd situation to be in. I finally have high IV rare Pokemon ready to go, but high IV rare Pokemon are much more common and easy to catch now in their final evolution forms do to raids.
I evolved a 15/14/15 Dratini the other day. I figured the chance of getting a perfect Dragonite, even from raids, is so astronomically small. Might as well evolve it now and use it for raiding. I caught 11 T-Tars so far and the highest I got was 2075cp with the maximum being 2097.

zulux21

No, the people in Grant Park catch the types to unlock the associated reward globally. Everyone else catches Pokemon to make the global reward bonus last longer and to unlock the Mystery Challenge. Basically, everyone will get some type of bonus from the Go Fest challenge. Depending on the types caught it will either be candy, XP, stardust, egg distance, buddy distance or encounter rate.

At the moment, the community seems to heavily want the stardust bonus: http://www.strawpoll.me/13416684/r

I see.

it still sounds like the 22nd will be pretty lame for anyone not in grant park. the 23/24 might be okay though.

RyanW

I always like to think of new mechanics and features for games and I had an idea for Pokémon Go with berries.

How useful would it be to have something similar to Ruby and Saphire where you can plant berries in certain locations around the world and that spot grows nothing but those berries? There could be a couple of ways to do it but one I thought of was you could buy a "Garden Kit" in the shop and plant a private garden wherever you want. You could probably only have one garden at one time. You can plant up to 2 berries there and every 24 hours you have the chance to get 1-3 berries of each you plant.

It would be a primary way to get berries as sometimes in stops and gyms you don't get some or the ones you need.

Any feedback to this?

Qwark

I always like to think of new mechanics and features for games and I had an idea for Pokémon Go with berries.

How useful would it be to have something similar to Ruby and Saphire where you can plant berries in certain locations around the world and that spot grows nothing but those berries? There could be a couple of ways to do it but one I thought of was you could buy a "Garden Kit" in the shop and plant a private garden wherever you want. You could probably only have one garden at one time. You can plant up to 2 berries there and every 24 hours you have the chance to get 1-3 berries of each you plant.

It would be a primary way to get berries as sometimes in stops and gyms you don't get some or the ones you need.

Any feedback to this?

Cool idea, but that might be too much of a performance strain. Even if it's 1 garden kit per user, the server has to keep track of every one, the location of it, and the status of the berries. I guess I don't have faith in the servers to be able to do something like that. I could see a stop module maybe that makes certain berries more likely.

RyanW

Cool idea, but that might be too much of a performance strain. Even if it's 1 garden kit per user, the server has to keep track of every one, the location of it, and the status of the berries. I guess I don't have faith in the servers to be able to do something like that. I could see a stop module maybe that makes certain berries more likely.

Yeah I was thinking it might be a bit too much to keep track unless their was a to do it from the client since it'd be a private garden, but I like the module idea as that benifits everyone

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I hatched a Miltank yesterday, finally! Pokedex now at 239.

Also, started to do something new to help increase my startdust. Every new day I'll purchase a new egg incubator (as long as I have less then 8). So at the very min I'll have 4 eggs hooked up each day. Already helping a little.

Thanks to the raids, I'm already at 200k xp into lv 35. Won't be too long till I reach lv 36. At 41 Raids now too. Did 2 Tyranitar raids yesterday, but it escaped both times. Also did 1 this morning, but errored out on it and couldn't get to the catch screen no matter what I did. Did get the items though, and already have 3 good Tyranitars, so not really bummed. Now have over 100 rare candies too.

you have every regional?

Pineapple

Alright, so I've come back to the game recently and have a few thoughts.

Why are higher level players punished in this game? I'm now level 27, and I swear, lvl 100-200 Pidgeys, Rattatas, Spinaraks, Spearows, Murkrows, etc, are such a pain to catch - and it wasn't like this 5 levels ago. Despite using Raz Berries and numerous Poke/Great balls, they frequently break out and flee. It's such a hassle, and it honestly feels like the game is trying to slow your progression down.

For raids, why is there little to no variety with respect to what can actually hatch from certain eggs? For example, why aren't Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Ampharos, and Blissey hatching from level 4 raids? Why aren't Espeon, Umbreon, Miltank, and Scizor hatching from level 3 raids? It seems like we could have such a greater variety of raid Pokemon hatching from eggs, but Niantic seems to have limited themselves to an arbitrary amount of Gen 1 Pokemon for each raid tier.

Lastly, I still don't really get the point of gyms. I cleared one out today completely, and was awarded with...150 XP. That's it. I left a Pokemon at the gym, and I guess I'll receive a few dozen coins if it is able to stay there for 8 or so hours. It just doesn't seem like a lot. Why not reward players with stardust and/or greater amounts of XP for clearing out gyms? In its current state, I really don't see the point.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just got a notification telling me to hit up parks as they have different Pokémon now. Don't think I've seen an annoucement/update for that yet, or is it also part of the anniversary stuff? Or is it just a nest change announcement?

Hegarol

Just got a notification telling me to hit up parks as they have different Pokémon now. Don't think I've seen an annoucement/update for that yet, or is it also part of the anniversary stuff?
Got the same and was wandering as well. Haven't read anything about it.

Just got a notification telling me to hit up parks as they have different Pokémon now. Don't think I've seen an annoucement/update for that yet, or is it also part of the anniversary stuff? Or is it just a nest change announcement?

Ties in with the nest change day, so that's interesting they've pointed it out.

CassSept

Hatched my 2nd Tyrogue. Still not the right one. This is going to be so frustrating isn't it?

Htmons are a mess if you don't live in biomes in which they spawn. I don't think I ever saw a wild Hitmonchan and I only have one due to a lucky drop from egg, Hitmonlee was my last Kanto Pokemon (by far, a month after I finished grinding candies for Dragonite, two months after finishing other mons), and from Johto I'm currently missing Unown (which is designed to be ultra rare), Tyrogue and Hitmontop, and I've been at this point for over a month.

Stupid dumb hitmons.

Sometimes this game is just amazing.

There was a Snorlax raid at the bus stop. Co-Worker of mine didn't have one yet so we went there. Met another Co-worker from another group that I didn't even know plays this game so we teamed up. When we wanted to start two elderly women came by and asked us if we're playing and if they can join - well yes of course!
We tried it twice but hardly made it (the first time the game crashed for me so I couldn't even contribute to the fight). Then the two women saw some other people with their phones and loudly screamed "SNORLAX, WE NEED HELP" and I almost bursted out laughing. But those two people indeed were playing and very extremely happy to join us. With now 7 people we made it easily.
Unfortunately the game crashed for my friend right when we beat it. He couldn't join in to catch it but got all the items.
Items were great, got two TMs, yessss. Also managed to catch the Snorlax. Unfortunately it's IVs were poor but it was also my 8th so I don't mind.
Gonna use that one TM to change the quick move of my TTar to Bite.
But this whole thing with those eldery women was so absurd but also funny. Things like this are only possible with PoGO. Bless this game.

EDIT: JUST HATCHED A MAREEP. OMG YES, BEST DAY EVER!!!!!!
EDIT: OMG CHARGE BEAM AND THUNDER!!!!

Pokedex at 230 now.

GulAtiCa

Good morning for me so far. Caught a Dratini, a Snorlax! and hatched another Larivtar. Leveled up my 95% Tyranitar a little. I'm out of startdust again though...

Also, I found out I have a 98% Machop. I want to evolve it, but will need about 17 more Pinap caught Machops. Just in luck though, apparently there is a Machop near my house. I'll head over there Saturday or so.

Top Bottom