• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Sioul

How does the math work for IVs when calculating things like attack and health?

For example, say you have two Machamps, each with 1500 combat power, and both know counter (12) and close combat (100). One Machamp has 0/15 IVs for attack, the other has perfect 15. How would that affect the actual damage output? And for health IVs, do they simply grant greater HP gain per combat power increase?

The damage formula uses your pokémon base attack plus the IV Attack against the enemy base def and Defense IV so in your example you should go with the 15 Atk Machamp

Edit: source

border

Nooo. Get rid of Blissey altogether. Blissey sucks at attacking. Throw a Charizard on that team instead, let them get wiped, and jump back into the battle with a new crew.

My fights against Machamp are so close to the wire I don't think I can really afford to wipe, select a new team, then come back. My main problem is that I just keep getting boned by Heavy Slam.......I often have Pokemon that can't even get off a single Charge move. They get hit by a Slam as soon as they come in.....they build up a Charge....I dodge until it feels safe to do the Charge Move......then they get KO'ed by Heavy Slam since their Charge takes so long to pull off.

The Reddit makes solo'ing Machamp sound trivial, but for me it's quite the nail-biter. I guess it's nice to have a real challenging activity though, since gyms have become kind of a joke in terms of difficulty.

Pineapple

The damage formula uses your pokémon base attack plus the IV Attack against the enemy base def and Defense IV so in your example you should go with the 15 Atk Machamp

Edit: source

Amazing site, thanks. Tons of a good information.

As far as gaining candy for a buddy Pokemon, would driving around work if you tapped on "I'm a passenger"? For example, if I loaded up the game and just set my phone down in the seat next to me and drove 250 km (155 miles), would I gain 50 candies for my buddy Pokemon? Or would the game detect that I'm going a certain speed and not grant me anything?

GulAtiCa

I get so nervous when the catching round in the raids happens, cannot even spin the pokeballs right

I used to too. I learned for Raid Boss Ball chances to only throw the ball just before the attack animation ends. So I basically almost always get to use all my ball efficiently.

I also usually try for the 1st halve of the chances to Pinap the Pokemon. Caught a Tyranitar on Friday with a Pinap, felt nice!

GulAtiCa

Just did another Tyranitar raid. Caught it with a Pinap berry, hello +20! Need a lot more. lol.

We had so many people show up we split up into 2 groups. lol. Was quite fun. My Machamp is finally becoming useful as I am able to get leveling him up. Used both my Machamps on the TTar. Had 15 people, so went down in like 30 seconds. heh

My luck at Tyranitar raids continues. Last time I got 2 fast AND 2 charge TMs, but the ttar got away.

This time, no TMs but got a 98% ttar with Bite and Crunch.

Joining my local Discord chat has made this game so much more enjoyable. Do it if your area has one.

GulAtiCa

My luck at Tyranitar raids continues. Last time I got 2 fast AND 2 charge TMs, but the ttar got away.

This time, no TMs but got a 98% ttar with Bite and Crunch.

Joining my local Discord chat has made this game so much more enjoyable. Do it if your area has one.

Damn!! Nice. I got a 95% TTar with Bite/Crunch at my 1st TTar raid. Also evolved a 98% Larivtar that now has Bite/Stone Edge thanks to TMs and my 1st TTar before the new gym re-work is a 87% with Bite / Stone Edge.

My last 2 TTar raids I caught them with Pinap, so that was +40 candy right there. Good thing, since I really need them all!

To get those top 3 to lv 36.5, I am going to need this amount of Larivtar candies and startdust: 294 candies & 276k stardust. This might take a while. lol

Went to a Snorlax raid along with 2 people from discord, there was one random there with 2 phones, we got him down pretty good but ran out of time, then this other guy shows up and asks us if we are raiding and how close we got, we tell him with one more person it'll be easy and he refuses to join =/

border

Amazing site, thanks. Tons of a good information.

As far as gaining candy for a buddy Pokemon, would driving around work if you tapped on "I'm a passenger"? For example, if I loaded up the game and just set my phone down in the seat next to me and drove 250 km (155 miles), would I gain 50 candies for my buddy Pokemon? Or would the game detect that I'm going a certain speed and not grant me anything?
Unless you are driving at 15-20 mph, driving will not get you any candy.

So a spoofer has completely taken over my area. He just took 6 full gyms all by himself in under 15 minutes. Does Niantic ever respond to reports or is it a lost cause now?

Also he constantly feeds golden berries to his pokemon so it's very difficult to take him out of gyms. When I finally get him out and try to feed my own guy golden berries, the game says "Error" every single time and he kills me in the standard 3 tries. Is there a hack that he can keep me from feeding golden berries?

Sometimes not all the Pokemon appear in my game. I arrived at a Raid with a friend the other day. There was a single Ekans spawned around the gym for me. However, my friend's phone had over ten spawned Pokemon. The pokes on her screen never spawned on mine.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix? I'm on Android.

gutshot

Sometimes not all the Pokemon appear in my game. I arrived at a Raid with a friend the other day. There was a single Ekans spawned around the gym for me. However, my friend's phone had over ten spawned Pokemon. The pokes on her screen never spawned on mine.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix? I'm on Android.

This usually is indicative of a soft ban. Your account may have been flagged in some way. Have you ever used third-party services that would be against the TOS? This includes IV checkers which use your login info.

GulAtiCa

Yep, most likely you are shadowbanned. If you recently cheated (spoofing, botting, anything AT ALL that uses your account to log in), you will be soft-banned for about a week as long as you stop doing whatever you did (assuming you did).

Also, make sure to change your account password too, cause if you used a service/app that required a log in, even months/year ago, this could cause it to. Cause that un-authorize app could have easily stole your account and been using it.

Still not liking the Raid system.
I have yet to see a single other person turn up for a raid and I live in one of the biggest cities in the world.

Growlie19

Another TTar raid, another missed capture. Didn't even get any good items from beating it. 2 Rare Candies, 3 Gold berries, and 16 Revives, which were immediately tossed. Bleh.

GulAtiCa

Still not liking the Raid system.
I have yet to see a single other person turn up for a raid and I live in one of the biggest cities in the world.

Are you not joining your city's discord/facebook group? Do so, will HELP a lot. Use the Silph Raido tool too. I did 3 raids yesterday with plenty of people attending do to cordinating everything. Hell, the Tyranitar raid had so many show up we all split off into 2 groups.

Are you not joining your city's discord/facebook group? Do so, will HELP a lot. Use the Silph Raido tool too. I did 3 raids yesterday with plenty of people attending do to cordinating everything. Hell, the Tyranitar raid had so many show up we all split off into 2 groups.

I've been lazy so I haven't been hunting down raids.

But I want a TTar so I'm probably going to start.

Yep, most likely you are shadowbanned. If you recently cheated (spoofing, botting, anything AT ALL that uses your account to log in), you will be soft-banned for about a week as long as you stop doing whatever you did (assuming you did).

Also, make sure to change your account password too, cause if you used a service/app that required a log in, even months/year ago, this could cause it to. Cause that un-authorize app could have easily stole your account and been using it.

I use an IV checker. I thought the general consensus was that this was ok not something Niantic takes action on. Am I wrong on this? Do people here use IV checkers?

I cannot imagine playing this game without an IV checker.

Firemind

Apps taking screenshots to check IVs are fine because they don't take data from Niantic's servers. It's not allowed in their TOS to do so.

GulAtiCa

I use an IV checker. I thought the general consensus was that this was ok not something Niantic takes action on. Am I wrong on this? Do people here use IV checkers?

I cannot imagine playing this game without an IV checker.

Using an IV checker that can log in to your account has always been a no no. Esp as that app now has your account info and can easily use your account to cheat and hack. So until you get rid of this, you are essentially banned.

The rest of us use more manual methods. I use this: https://pokeassistant.com/main/ivcalculator but others use an app that goes on top of the game/etc and can more automatically (but still somewhat manually) tell you IV ranges of that pokemon. Don't know the app name, but it doesn't use your account to log in.

If you use a Google account for PoGO, delete the un-authorize app here: https://myaccount.google.com/permissions?pli=1
Else change your Pokemon Trainer Account password.

Never use that app again.

Using an IV checker that can log in to your account has always been a no no. Esp as that app now has your account info and can easily use your account to cheat and hack. So until you get rid of this, you are essentially banned.

The rest of us use more manual methods. I use this: https://pokeassistant.com/main/ivcalculator but others use an app that goes on top of the game/etc and can more automatically (but still somewhat manually) tell you IV ranges of that pokemon. Don't know the app name, but it doesn't use your account to log in.

If you use a Google account for PoGO, delete the un-authorize app here: https://myaccount.google.com/permissions?pli=1
Else change your Pokemon Trainer Account password.

Never use that app again.

Ok. I've deleted the app and used Niantic appeal process. We'll see how that goes.

This is a hard pill to swallow when spoofers and multiple account players are running rampant with seemingly no consequences, and I get a soft ban for checking stats.

Ugh, lesson learned. But seriously...Niantic needs to add real stat checking into the game.

gutshot

Got my first tyranitar pinap capture in 20 raids. Feels good man

I've been able to Pinap my last two Ttars. It has helped realizing that just getting Great throws consistently is better than aiming for Excellents and hitting only half the time. That plus learning to time my throws during the attack animations.

Are you coordinating with people online?

Nope. Tbh I don't really want to, feels like a step too far to me.

Like I play this game every day, but it's fairly casual in that I just play when I'd otherwise be walking, like to work or whatever.
Having to go out of my way to be in a specific place at a specific time for a raid is a chore.
But to also have to co-ordinate with total strangers on the internet, just to take down a Tyranitar or whatever?
I don't think that's for me.

GulAtiCa

It's not like being on Discord is some kind of hard to do activity. Just go to the raids you are interested in. It def helps in figuring out when a T4 will pop, etc.

Anyways, I am now up to 74 Gym Badges.

Qwark

Yuss, 749 eggs and I finally hatched a Mareep! Now, just to evolve it and somehow find an Unown and I'll have completed non-regional gen 2.

Firemind

Also, I was able to solo a Machamp tonight with Counter/Dynamic Punch as moves. Had about 3-10 seconds left because it was lagging a fair bit just when the health bar went all the way down. I'm lvl. 37 but I didn't really have any perfect movesets. Just stuff with psychic/flying basic/special attacks between lvl. 33.5-38.5. No Alakazams or Espeons.

Man, tier 4 raids suck. NO ONE wants too bother doing anything but Tyranitar. I haven't seen a single person show up for any other raid, even Lapras or Snorlax. :/

Magik

Man, tier 4 raids suck. NO ONE wants too bother doing anything but Tyranitar. I haven't seen a single person show up for any other raid, even Lapras or Snorlax. :/

Pretty much how it goes nowadays unfortunately. Adding to the fact that most people will only have 1 free pass which they may have already used makes it even harder to get a raid going.

Can't really blame them to be honest. Tyranitar is the only one that I really want to catch. I personally have 4 Snorlax and 3 Lapras that are all above 70% IVs, and I really don't care about getting extra copies of the Stage 3 Kanto starters.

If TMs actually can be obtained from low level raids, I'll just grind those. At this point, I just want to hatch Mareep, Dratini, and Larvitar from 10K eggs. My rare candy stash is stacking up, so I will get everything I want anyway.

Can't really blame them to be honest. Tyranitar is the only one that I really want to catch. I personally have 4 Snorlax and 3 Lapras that are all above 70% IVs, and I really don't care about getting extra copies of the Stage 3 Kanto starters.

If TMs actually can be obtained from low level raids, I'll just grind those. At this point, I just want to hatch Mareep, Dratini, and Larvitar from 10K eggs. My rare candy stash is stacking up, so I will get everything I want anyway.

Hm you should still get some hardcore peeps for a 4-star but it's a big waiting game (cuz some ppl just want to use their pass for the day and have a chance at some rare candy/tm stuff)

So a spoofer has completely taken over my area. He just took 6 full gyms all by himself in under 15 minutes. Does Niantic ever respond to reports or is it a lost cause now?

Also he constantly feeds golden berries to his pokemon so it's very difficult to take him out of gyms. When I finally get him out and try to feed my own guy golden berries, the game says "Error" every single time and he kills me in the standard 3 tries. Is there a hack that he can keep me from feeding golden berries?

Hm interesting on how you couldn't feed your guy golden berries. I would restart the app if that happens again - sometimes the game is strange like that.

Also it's likely he's dual accounting which allows him to feed multiple berries. I'd report him anyway cause he will at least get flagged behind the scenes. And in your area there's likely other people who've noticed his behavior - band together and smite down the spoofer's gyms! (check your local fb - they may have a discord goin)

All raid bosses have the same HP. Vaporeon is one of the easiest ones because it's easy to tank water attacks. Need a bit more Solar Beams I suppose.

I had a full team of good grass Pokemon with all grass attacks and I barely got it down to half HP before the time ran out. No way I could beat it even with a team of amazing Exeggutors.

Pineapple

Is it possible to solo level 3 raids? It seems like many people have no problem avoiding damage (something I can't seem to time correctly). The problem would be causing enough damage to beat the timer.

But yeah, it sucks that most people don't care to do anything other than Tyranitar raids. Level 3 raids, and most level 4s are almost completely ignored by most. I was near a Vaporeon and Blastoise raid yesterday...both within 30 seconds of each other....asked people in my local discord group to help out and no one came. But everyone rushed 25 minutes across town for a Tyranitar. I wish there was far more vareity when it came to raid Pokemon. I think just about everyone is ready for Gen 3 at this point.

Firemind

I had a full team of good grass Pokemon with all grass attacks and I barely got it down to half HP before the time ran out. No way I could beat it even with a team of amazing Exeggutors.
Seed Bomb and Petal Blizzard are much worse than Solar Beam though. And Vileplume, Bellossom, Sunflora, Tangela, Parasect are just bad. Jolteon actually has amazing DPS if you're lacking in that department.

Is it possible to solo level 3 raids? It seems like many people have no problem avoiding damage (something I can't seem to time correctly). The problem would be causing enough damage to beat the timer.
Dodge only the full bar charge attacks. Don't dodge at all if you're lacking DPS. I solo'd Machamp yesterday but he's supposed to be the easiest lvl. 3.

8bit

Knows the Score
https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/gosummerevents

Anniversary stuff :

Pokémon GO Fest Chicago

Pokémon GO Fest (Saturday, July 22 taking place in Grant Park, Chicago, IL) is fast approaching, and we hope you're all as excited as we are. We wanted to share some details about how Pokémon GO Trainers everywhere can participate in a global challenge with Trainers at the event to unlock special rewards worldwide.

During the day, there will be three Challenge Windows in which Trainers everywhere will work alongside those in Chicago to unlock global rewards. During the Challenge Windows, Trainers in Grant Park will attempt to unlock perks for Pokémon GO players around the world by catching certain types of Pokémon. Each Pokémon- type will be tied to a different perk, so Trainers at the park will need to carefully choose which Pokémon they catch. Will those in attendance try to catch Electric-type Pokémon to reduce the distance required to hatch Eggs, or Grass-type Pokémon to increase Stardust bonuses, or other Pokémon- types to secure a variety of other bonuses? Join in the action and find out!

Meanwhile, Trainers outside of Chicago will attempt to catch as many Pokémon as possible during the Challenge Windows to extend the duration of the bonuses unlocked by those attending the event. If Trainers around the world catch enough Pokémon, a mystery challenge will be unveiled in Grant Park that, once completed, will unlock an extra-special bonus across the globe. Trainers everywhere will want to grab their friends and family to help make this the biggest celebration in Pokémon GO's history!

Pokémon GO Safari Zone Events in Europe

We're excited to announce that a variety of Pokémon GO Safari Zone events will be taking place at select Unibail-Rodamco shopping centers during August and September!

 August 5, 2017
 Fisketorvet—Copenhagen, Denmark
 Centrum Cerny Most—Prague, Czech Republic

 August 12, 2017
 Mall of Scandinavia—Stockholm, Sweden
 Stadshart Amstelveen—Amstelveen, The Netherlands

 September 16, 2017
 CentrO—Oberhausen, Germany
 Les Quatre Temps—Paris, France
 La Maquinista—Barcelona, Spain

All seven Pokémon GO Safari Zone events will give Trainers the opportunity to catch a wide variety of Pokémon in special zones featuring Pokémon originally encountered in the Kanto and Johto regions, including some Pokémon never before encountered in Europe! Additionally, Trainers in attendance will join forces to take on unique and powerful Raid Bosses that will be making appearances at these events.

To get a non-native Pokemon I need to go to a shopping centre in another country on a specific day?

Pikachu Outbreak in Japan

The Pokémon Company will be hosting its annual Pikachu Outbreak event in Yokohama, Japan, from August 9–15, where a special Pokémon GO experience is taking place. More information about Pikachu Outbreak will be unveiled by The Pokémon Company in the coming days, so stay tuned for all the exciting details!

We're looking forward for you to join us in celebrating Pokémon GO's one-year anniversary by taking part in the festivities happening globally. To stay up-to-date with all of the upcoming Pokémon GO events, including those mentioned above and the recently announced Big Heritage event taking place in the United Kingdom on July 22–23, visit our all-new Pokémon GO Events page.

Top Bottom