• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

I'm not sure of the Tier this raid was but it was fun as hell.

It was against a 12,800ish CP Weezing

The battle was a freaking roller coaster. After my strongest Pokémon a 2,300ish Gyarados was taken out I sent in my Espeon and that fucker went down to a Shadow Ball! The Weezing knew Shadow Ball and didn't use it until after my Gyarados went down. My daughter was in the passenger seat talking smack with her 1,200ish CP Kingler and she was actually going to town on it. Hell, I was getting creamed until my 950 CP Noctowl came in with a fast hitting Phsycic attack and he was tanking Shadow Ball attacks and going to town with a weak Phsycic and Sky Attack. I was down to my last Pokémon which was a 1,200ish Lantern with only a slither of health left on my Lantern my daughter took it out with a Flame Charge from her 1,300ish Rapidash.

My thinking is if my daughter and myself gets 6 specific Pokémon each over 2,000CP we can beat a Tier 4 Tyranitar raid.

I really want a Tyranitar but haven't even seen a Larvitar. So doing a Tier 4 Tyranitar raid is my only choice.

Edit: Quick way to earn dust?

Edit 2: I understand why Ninatic decided to do just 50 coins a day limit but I don't like it. I'm a low level player and yesterday my daughter and myself left 3 Pokémon at 3 different gyms. Today we got all 3 Pokémon back but only 50 coins. Here my thing, we left our respective 3 strongest Pokémon there. So we went on doing raids and gyms without our top 3 Pokémon and we didn't get rewarded for doing that. I'm not saying we should've gotten 150 Coins each but Niantic could make it so that the first Pokémon brought back 50 coins, the second brought back some random items, and the 3rd brought back some Star Dust or some system along them lines. As of right now there's no point for me and my daughter to leave no more then 1 Pokémon at a gym and do without. Why waste our time fighting gym after gym if we won't get some form of a pay off for doing that? Just my two cents.

Joni

You won't be able to beat Tyranitar with two because you are lacking time to do enough damage. They have been trying to see how far people can go with solo-ing raids, that should be interesting input.
As for the gyms, the new system really discourages leaving your strongest Pokémon. You need to leave your middle level weirder Pokémon. Something people don't fight a lot.

border

My thinking is if my daughter and myself gets 6 specific Pokémon each over 2,000CP we can beat a Tier 4 Tyranitar raid.

I really want a Tyranitar but haven't even seen a Larvitar. So doing a Tier 4 Tyranitar raid is my only choice.

Tyranitar can be beaten by 2 players, but it will pretty much require two teams of 6 near-perfect Machamps at Level 30 or above, all of them dodging at the right time to avoid his charged attacks. You will get stomped if his moveset is not favorable to you as well. I would advise against trying to down Tyranitar with just 2 people. Right now Tyranitar is desirable enough that if he spawns, more people will probably show up. Try to get to Level 4 raids before the egg hatches, and hang out for a bit......if Tyranitar hatches and you are in a populated city, additional players will probably turn up.

Your problem with the current coin system is understandable. I think that gyms suck now. The only solution is to stop putting your best pokemon in gyms, so you'll never be without them. If a gym lasts for a long time, it's largely due to player apathy and not because it's full of unstoppable powerhouse pokemon. My Pidgeys can hold down a gym for just as long as my Dragonites.....

Joni

Strange, Venosaur returned from the gym after 4 hours or so but he didn't list a number of coins he came back with. He came back at 0.01 so impossible I already had 50 coins.

border

Strange, Venosaur returned from the gym after 4 hours or so but he didn't list a number of coins he came back with. He came back at 0.01 so impossible I already had 50 coins.

The game clock can be kinda screwed. For example, my day resets at 1 AM local time. Anything I do between 12AM and 1AM does not count towards my daily bonus, if I already caught a Pokemon or spun a stop earlier in the day.

As of right now there's no point for me and my daughter to leave no more then 1 Pokémon at a gym and do without. Why waste our time fighting gym after gym if we won't get some form of a pay off for doing that? Just my two cents.

Honestly, it's a pretty huge flaw, and is likely the reason gym activity has cratered in my area. No one's going after more than a couple gyms now, so turnover is much lower, despite payouts now being 100% dependent upon reasonably quick turnover rates. This means that gyms that saw low-to-moderate activity before are now going completely avoided, meaning folks are losing Pokémon for weeks at a time, and when they get them back the rewards is proportionately tiny next to the time spent defending, or worse, nonexistent due to an earlier payout. So we have tons of gyms going unused and several Pokémon effectively being lost to those gyms. I had a Pokémon stuck for 22 days and got nothing for it. Got another one that been stuck over two weeks. My girlfriend is in the same gym and is contemplating making another account on another team just to kick it out (it's a Heracross she very much wants back).

My thinking is that you to are going to get stomped hard. You need atleast 4 - 5 30+ players with the right pokemons to take him down. Sorry.

You won't be able to beat Tyranitar with two because you are lacking time to do enough damage. They have been trying to see how far people can go with solo-ing raids, that should be interesting input.
As for the gyms, the new system really discourages leaving your strongest Pokémon. You need to leave your middle level weirder Pokémon. Something people don't fight a lot.

Tyranitar can be beaten by 2 players, but it will pretty much require two teams of 6 near-perfect Machamps at Level 30 or above, all of them dodging at the right time to avoid his charged attacks. You will get stomped if his moveset is not favorable to you as well. I would advise against trying to down Tyranitar with just 2 people. Right now Tyranitar is desirable enough that if he spawns, more people will probably show up. Try to get to Level 4 raids before the egg hatches, and hang out for a bit......if Tyranitar hatches and you are in a populated city, additional players will probably turn up.

Your problem with the current coin system is understandable. I think that gyms suck now. The only solution is to stop putting your best pokemon in gyms, so you'll never be without them. If a gym lasts for a long time, it's largely due to player apathy and not because it's full of unstoppable powerhouse pokemon. My Pidgeys can hold down a gym for just as long as my Dragonites.....

Thanks for the input. Tomorrow my daughter and myself are going to do atleast one raid and I was thinking about hunting down a fighting type raid boss because my current top 6 CP Pokémon matches up well against fighting types.

The thing is. I live in the country. It is what it is when it comes to raids. I've only done 5 raids so far and it's always only been me and my daughter so I'm trying to figure out ways and work around where the two of us can take on the stronger raids and reap their rewards. She's really into it and I'm enjoying it too.

Joni

The game clock can be kinda screwed. For example, my day resets at 1 AM local time. Anything I do between 12AM and 1AM does not count towards my daily bonus, if I already caught a Pokemon or spun a stop earlier in the day.

I didn't have a gym Pokémon yesterday either, so I really expected to get coins. Maybe I just need to track better my coins and it was just a visual bug.

border

Thanks for the input. Tomorrow my daughter and myself are going to do atleast one raid and I was thinking about hunting down a fighting type raid boss because my current top 6 CP Pokémon matches up well against fighting types.

The thing is. I live in the country. It is what it is when it comes to raids. I've only done 5 raids so far and it's always only been me and my daughter so I'm trying to figure out ways and work around where the two of us can take on the stronger raids and reap their rewards. She's really into it and I'm enjoying it too.

If you have only two people, you can still do Level 3 Raid bosses if you have good group composition. The easiest ones will be Fire types like Flareon and Arcanine. Just put in all your best Water types against them.

The only Fighting type raid is Machamp. If you want to take him down though you will need teams of good Psychic Pokemon. He spawns pretty rarely though.

I wouldn't expect to take down any Level 4 bosses with just 2 people. When I say "It can be done" that means expert level players with teams specifically built for taking down a boss can do it. If you're just playing around with your kid the chance for success is probably pretty low.

If you have only two people, you can still do Level 3 Raid bosses if you have good group composition. The easiest ones will be Fire types like Flareon and Arcanine. Just put in all your best Water types against them.

The only Fighting type raid is Machamp. If you want to take him down though you will need teams of good Psychic Pokemon. He spawns pretty rarely though.

I wouldn't expect to take down any Level 4 bosses with just 2 people. When I say "It can be done" that means expert level players with teams specifically built for taking down a boss can do it. If you're just playing around with your kid the chance for success is probably pretty low.

As of this moment I'm pretty serious about playing Pokémon Go! I just don't want to have to invest a ton of money into it for Poké Balls so I can't keep catching Pokémon so I can level up quicker. Lol.... I understand what you're saying. We will steer clear of raids that are out of our league. Thanks for the feedback.

Did a Tyranitar raid today.
89% with Bite/Stone Edge :D

It ran away for my friend though :(

I would be devastated if I manage to beat a raid Tyranitar and it fled. I didn't even know raid bosses can flee while you're trying to catch them. That's kind of fucked up. Now I'm going to be paranoid and stressed every time I tried to catch the raid boss after I beat it.

As of this moment I'm pretty serious about playing Pokémon Go! I just don't want to have to invest a ton of money into it for Poké Balls so I can't keep catching Pokémon so I can level up quicker. Lol.... I understand what you're saying. We will steer clear of raids that are out of our league. Thanks for the feedback.

I would be devastated if I manage to beat a raid Tyranitar and it fled. I didn't even know raid bosses can flee while you're trying to catch them. That's kind of fucked up. Now I'm going to be paranoid and stressed every time I tried to catch the raid boss after I beat it.
You get a limited amount of balls (special Premier Balls) to catch a raid boss, with a few different bonuses netting you a couple more balls (your team owning the gym, your team doing the most damage, couple others). I think the most you can have after all bonuses is like 15 or so, maybe less? When you run out of balls the Pokémon runs, and you don't get to keep the extra balls if you have leftovers after successfully catching a raid boss. You only get the balls you earn from THAT raid.

I've had Tyranitar run 2/4 times so far. My girlfriend has had them run 3/3 times.

You get a limited amount of balls (special Premier Balls) to catch a raid boss, with a few different bonuses netting you a couple more balls (your team owning the gym, your team doing the most damage, couple others). I think the most you can have after all bonuses is like 15 or so, maybe less? When you run out of balls the Pokémon runs, and you don't get to keep the extra balls if you have leftovers after successfully catching a raid boss. You only get the balls you earn from THAT raid.

I've had Tyranitar run 2/4 times so far. My girlfriend has had them run 3/3 times.

Ok! This is much better then what I was thinking after reading the other post. My original thought was more align with what you described. Your explanation ensured that I will save every single Golden Razz Berrie I come across soley for raid bosses to increase my chances of catching it.

Bosses only flee when you're out of balls. So it's not like a regular Pokemon that can just flee like that. So no need to worry. Still catching a raid boss is pumping adrenaline like crazy.

Firemind

Fuck no. That is stupid.
It's a shopping mall, not an exhibition hall like in Chicago, so they can't actually bar people from entering. I think it's a way to discourage people from coming. Unless they have a way to control the spawns and raids so that only people who registered can see them, it will almost assuredly snowball into a clusterfuck.

Anyone know if there's a quick way of telling whether or not you've got a gym's badge from afar?
Sometimes I see a gym in the distance and don't know if I have it or not and don't want to go out of my way unless it's worth it.

Joni

Anyone know if there's a quick way of telling whether or not you've got a gym's badge from afar?
Sometimes I see a gym in the distance and don't know if I have it or not and don't want to go out of my way unless sit's worth it.

If you see it from far away, you can click on it to get the badge.

GulAtiCa

^^^
Use the Badge Map and zoom in. That should probably tell you if you have it or not.

Also, yeah T4 bosses, are hard to catch. I prob done between 6 and 8 Tyranitar raids and had halve run away. Did catch a 95% as my 1st T4 raid actually. :)

If you see it from far away, you can click on it to get the badge.

Hmm? You still need to actually spin it or do some kind of action, which won't work unless you are actually in range. Just clicking it doesn't get you the badge.

Speaking of badges, I now have 105!

gutshot

Max is 13.

+5 for Raid win
+3 for Damage
+2 for Gym Control
+3 for Team Damage

GulAtiCa

Never thought I say this but I'm quite good on Dratini candies for now..

The funny thing is even with 6 Dragonites, 419 candies, as well as 91 Dratinis & 6 Dragonairs ready to trasnfer for next 2x candy event (hello +194 candies!). I still run after Dratinis when I see them. Really gets me excited. lol

DFBedWAVYAMsBp1.jpg:large

The funny thing is even with 6 Dragonites, 419 candies, as well as 91 Dratinis & 6 Dragonairs ready to trasnfer for next 2x candy event (hello +194 candies!). I still run after Dratinis when I see them. Really gets me excited. lol

Yo, spare like 50 of them with a guy who has only ever caught one Dratini in the wild?

:(

Changed my 96% IV Dragonite from Hyperbeam to Dragon Pulse. Not it's got the perfect move set. It's only 3200CP, gonna level up that fucker now. Let's see if it's good for raids now.

Mmm, it always jumps to the start of the gym list if I touch a gym from far away.

Think that's only if you have the badge already though?

My game is being weird. I had three Pokemon return to me today.
Got 35 coins for the first, then none for the second, even though I'm sure they'd been in gyms for over an hour.
The journal doesn't note how many coins each Pokemon returned with so I can't be clear on who returned with what.

Joni

Well, then it still works if my reasoning is turned around. Click it, if it appears at the start of your list, you already got it. Otherwise you need to go to it.

GulAtiCa

Yo, spare like 50 of them with a guy who has only ever caught one Dratini in the wild?

:(
Wish I could!

Changed my 96% IV Dragonite from Hyperbeam to Dragon Pulse. Not it's got the perfect move set. It's only 3200CP, gonna level up that fucker now. Let's see if it's good for raids now.

Nice. I plan to do the same. I'm going to turn my top 3 Dragonites into offensive fighters.

--------

Did a Machamp raid and 2 Tyranitar raids so far today. Caught 1 of the TTars with a Pinap, so hello 30 candies!

ZeroCDR

Fought my third Tyranitar raid and still haven't caught it, but I'll keep trying! Wish I'd earn more event balls, but apparently Mystic loves taking over all the gyms in the area but when it comes the raids they can't be bothered *shrugs*.

I have about 30 rare candies and can evolve my 96% Pupitar with them, but I kinda wanna keep saving them.

I need like 55 candies just to evolve my Dratini all the way to a Dragonite and atleast 30 to max it out for my current level and I still need a Dratini that's better then 70%. I'll never get my Dragonite.

-----------------------------------------------

So I did a Gengar raid just now with my daughter and here are the results.

It had 18 or 19ish CP and Focus Blast was it's charge move. We got to the raids with 28 minutes left. No one else was there. Keep in mind that my strongest is 2,300CP Gyarados and the rest being sub 2,000 with a few around 1,500CP. My daughter's Pokémon are all around 1,500CP. She has none near 2,000 CP.

Game 1: Great learning experience. We actually got the Gengar down to less than 10% but all of our Pokémon died. That Focus Blast OHKO the majority of our teams. My daughter suggested that we dodge it next time instead of trying to tank it to keep up the damage output.

Game 2: This round we practice our timing with dodging the Focus Blast. We still manage to get his health down to under 25%.

Game 3: RAGE!!! NETWORK ERROR MY ASS!!! YOU HAD ONLY A SLITHER OF HEALTH LEFT AND YOU GLITCH KILL THE REMAINING OF OUR TEAM!!! FUCK YOU!!! FUCK ME!!! FUCK EVERY BODY!!! Ahem.. was a pretty fun round up until the network error happened.

Game 4: Time ran out. We got it down to around 5% of health but couldn't finish it because my daughter ran out of healing items so she didn't have her best possible team.

Game 5: Time ran out again. We again got it down to just under 10% health but couldn't finish it off because we both didn't have our best possible team on the field because we previously ran out of healing items.

If our Pokémon had just a tad higher CP and damage output we could've had it on the 1st, 2nd, and 4th round. If the Network error never happened we also could've had it in the 3rd round.

It was still alot of fun even though we ran out of time and we didn't walk away with a raid boss Gengar as our prize.

Joni

Got Network Error'd in my raid today. I had the Execguttor beat but he didn't die. Got Time's Up after two minutes. Four of my Pokémon down, didn't care to try a second time with my strongest dark Pokémon down. Sucks to lose a Raid Pass like that.

So i pocket bought 1200 pokecoins today. I found out a few minutes later when I got an email about it.

I got a refund through Google, but I still have the coins in pokemon go.

What should I do? Should I contact niantic?

GulAtiCa

So i pocket bought 1200 pokecoins today. I found out a few minutes later when I got an email about it.

I got a refund through Google, but I still have the coins in pokemon go.

What should I do? Should I contact niantic?

Yes. Tell them, so they don't end up banning you. Do not use those coins at all.

Also, how did that even happen? Seems so random, esp as it has to scroll down a lot in the store to get to that. lol

Top Bottom