• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Shadowlink said:
Pfft... I'll just train Ho-oh to be really strong and teach it some TMs and it will kick Lugia's ass :p

Because Lugia suddenly can't use TMs?

Maybe we should stop ruining this thread. :lol

Fimbulvetr said:
Because Lugia suddenly can't use TMs?

Maybe we should stop ruining this thread. :lol
I guess we shouldn't. Anyways I don't really use Rare pokemon in my group unless I really need to use them.

Kobe

Banned
I see a lot of people call Silver and Gold the pinnacle of the series. Whats wrong with Diamond, Pearl and Platinum? I havent played these games. I played the original Blue and Red, Silver and Gold, Ruby and Sapphire. Since then I havent touched a pokemon game. Anyone can give me a quick summary on the Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum Series?

KtSlime

Dabookerman: Excellent job on the thread!

Can't wait for this game, even the pokéwalker has me excited. I can't decide which to get, I was going to get one in Japanese, and the other in English, but Play-Asia seems to be committing highway robbery with their prices.

金 vs. 銀, Hmm.

I never got to finish my Gen 3 pokémon, cause my GBA was stolen, which is better kyogre, or groudon, and which is going into soul silver/heart gold. I think I'll let that be my deciding factor.

Thanks!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Kobe said:
I see a lot of people call Silver and Gold the pinnacle of the series. Whats wrong with Diamond, Pearl and Platinum?
Nothing. The solo campaign has barely changed over the years (for better or worse), the battle gameplay is marginally improved upon with each successive generation, almost every Pokemon in the series can be obtained in DPPt, and Sinnoh is marginally less dull than the other regions (but only marginally).

Kobe

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
Nothing. The solo campaign has barely changed over the years (for better or worse), the battle gameplay is marginally improved upon with each successive generation, almost every Pokemon in the series can be obtained in DPPt, and Sinnoh is marginally less dull than the other regions (but only marginally).

Thanks dude, Im having Pokemon fever. Gonna pick up Platinum.:D

Sagitario

ivedoneyourmom said:
I never got to finish my Gen 3 pokémon, cause my GBA was stolen, which is better kyogre, or groudon, and which is going into soul silver/heart gold. I think I'll let that be my deciding factor.

Thanks!

IIRC, Groundon is in Silver and Kyogre in Gold...

Osuwari

Lugia's Attack and SP.ATT stats are subpar and he doesn't get the 1.5 bonus with Hydro Pump because he isn't a Water type. Ho-Oh will just take the attack head on and laugh. then, he'll retaliate with Shadow Ball/Sacred Fire/Thunder and rip a new asshole on Lugia.

i'll get HG, just like how i got Gold the first time. too bad this gen had the worst starters of them all.

Gravijah

Osuwari said:
Lugia's Attack and SP.ATT stats are subpar and he doesn't get the 1.5 bonus with Hydro Pump because he isn't a Water type. Ho-Oh will just take the attack head on and laugh. then, he'll retaliate with Shadow Ball/Sacred Fire/Thunder and rip a new asshole on Lugia.

i'll get HG, just like how i got Gold the first time. too bad this gen had the worst starters of them all.

Yaaaay... Totodile...

Yeah, hard to get excited for HGSS starters even though I like them.

vhfive

Osuwari said:

true. im more excited for the legendary pokemon.

Rayquaza bitches

Kobe said:
I see a lot of people call Silver and Gold the pinnacle of the series. Whats wrong with Diamond, Pearl and Platinum? I havent played these games. I played the original Blue and Red, Silver and Gold, Ruby and Sapphire. Since then I havent touched a pokemon game. Anyone can give me a quick summary on the Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum Series?

I suppose it's more nostalgia, but it was a huge leap from Red and Blue. The additional 100 were great designs, had both regions, fantastic music. Pretty much got through my teenhood with it ;p

Some people will be different of course.

OMG Aero

Osuwari said:
But to trade off for his low attack stats, Lugia has massive defences. And like viewtiful_dru pointed out, Stealth Rock (Which is on a lot of teams) takes 50% of Ho-Oh's HP right from the start.

But I'm going to stop now before this turns into a Lugia Vs Ho-Oh thread. It's not like it matters anyway since you get both in both versions, move re-learners mean that Sacred Fire and Aeroblast are no longer exclusive to a game and no-one uses legendaries anyway.

Gravijah

Meh, probably better to ask in the Platinum thread but I figure I'll ask here. Anybody have a non-USA Ditto they'd like to trade me for... well... I don't know, if you have something specific in mind PM me.

Gilgamesh

wrowa said:
After the announcement of HG/SS I started playing Pokemon Platinum (my first game of the series since, well, Silver) and I had to realize that I'm really tired of the Pokémon fomula. So, I guess I will pass :/
I had the opposite experience. I was quite refreshed by my time with Diamond, but I stopped playing so I wouldn't be burnt out for Soul Silver.

I'm getting such Pokemon fever now that I've looked at all the screenshots and such in the OP. I'm thinking about what my team will be and everything. I haven't been this excited for Pokemon since like middle school.

Superior Silver. I like the change. :D

Silver > Gold

Man, I can't wait for the localization. Let's hope they make Kanto as interesting as it was in B/R/G. It was rather boring in G/S. If they can essentially make this two Pokemon games in one, I'd be so stoked.

Either way, the ability to have any Pokemon follow you around makes this the best Pokemon ever. Can't wait to have my Espeon tailing me around. :D

Dabookerman said:
It was either that or "Thread of Doo roo roo Do doo doo".

I dunno how many of you guys would have got that though lol..
The battle music?

Ahh...... the music is stuck in my head now.......

upandaway

Osuwari said:
What! Preposterous.

Sure, they might not be too hot competitively, but who cares for that in single player. Last time I played Crystal I picked Bayleef and never evolved him into Meganium, and I had the easiest time ever with the game.

rvy

Banned
clay_ghost said:
They Only Done Red and blue .............

So this is only the 2nd remake.
There's clearly a trend here. Next up is Crimson Ruby and... well, yeah, I got no names for the rest, but you get it.

Why not just invest in making a console game as good as the handhelds?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Shikashi said:
Why ? Because it would sell less and cost way more to make it ? You should assume that ppl. realise that this is an Handheld IP and there wont be any Maingames on consoles in near future.

upandaway

Shikashi said:
There's clearly a trend here. Next up is Crimson Ruby and... well, yeah, I got no names for the rest, but you get it.
It highly depends on Nintendo's next handheld though. There isn't much of a difference between the GBA and the DS regarding Pokemon. It'll be like remaking the Red/Blue remakes for the DS.

It's all cool though. The longer I can stay away from Ruby and Sapphire, even in remake form, the better.

Shikashi said:

Red ,Green, blue , yellow (sorry they remake Green not blue) were buggy like hell.
So a remake is good.

As for GS..........
I can only remember a huge problem with it.
Saving every time you need to change pcbox.(There is also the cloning glitch that uses the pc saving trick )

And if the box is full , pokemon cannot be catch.

Pokemon is mean to play on Hendhelds IMO.

The amount of money invest in making a Good(fully 3d , with lot of routes,caves, sea,gyms,etcs) console version can make / remake 2 handhelds plus a few spin-offs.

Speaking of Spin-offs...........
WHERE IS POKEMON PINBALL DS!!!!!!!!

I've wanted Gold and Silver remakes ever since they released Fire Red and Leaf Green. I cannot wait for these. They couldn't come at a better time either, as recently, my interest in the Pokemon games has dwindled to almost nothing. I thought Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald were awful, and while Diamond/Pearl/Platinum were better, they still weren't up to the standard of the first and second generations.

Gold/Silver/Crystal was my favourite generation by far. I have no doubt that HG/SS will completely rekindle my love for Pokemon, and I may actually try and catch them all.

Sagitario

Why the GS starters are considered the worst?
cyndaquil.png

Just look at him :( ... Cyndaquil <3...

Farore said:
cyndaquil.png

It's kinda hard to beat a dragon in the first generation and a Kung-Fu Disco Fire Chicken in the third. :lol

Johann

Farore said:
cyndaquil.png

Gamefreak Lead Artist: Alright! Everybody loved the badass, dragon fire starter in the first game but we need to top that!
Artist #1: I know! Let's make him an echidna on fire. They're so cool! Everybody loves enchidas!
Lead Artist: But what about its evolution? We could change its color palette or pattern.
Artist #2: We can make him bigger... with MOAR FIRE!
Lead Artist: Excellent! But we need to come up with a creative and striking design for the third stage.
Artist #3: We can make him even bigger... with even MOAR FIRE!
Lead Artist: So awesome :LAUGHS:
Artist #1: :LAUGHS:
Artist #2: :LAUGHS:
Artist #3: :LAUGHS:
Iwata: :LAUGHS:

It appears that there will be a soundtrack CD for these remakes... like there was for Gold/Silver.

Now, all I have to go by is a machine translation from German and a machine translation from Japanese, but it appears to be 3 CDs and a 24 page book with game tips and composer information. There will be original music from Pokemon HG/SS, as well as from the original GS games.

It'll cost ¥2625, around $25 USD or 20 euros, I suppose.

I won't be importing the games from Japan, but am considering importing the CD, as I'm sure the music will be pretty great. (Though it might ruin some of the game for me, if I spoil the music...)

I may be missing information, as it is a machine translation, and it almost led me to believe some crazy things, but yeah.

Edit: Sources here in Japanese and here in German.

jman2050

Dabookerman said:
They won't do that. That's just stupid.

You realize in five years Ruby and Sapphire will be old enough that they can get away with a remake on the DS Ultra

Johann said:
Gamefreak Lead Artist: Alright! Everybody loved the badass, dragon fire starter in the first game but we need to top that!
Artist #1: I know! Let's make him an echidna on fire. They're so cool! Everybody loves enchidas!
Lead Artist: But what about its evolution? We could change its color palette or pattern.
Artist #2: We can make him bigger... with MOAR FIRE!
Lead Artist: Excellent! But we need to come up with a creative and striking design for the third stage.
Artist #3: We can make him even bigger... with even MOAR FIRE!
Lead Artist: So awesome :LAUGHS:
Artist #1: :LAUGHS:
Artist #2: :LAUGHS:
Artist #3: :LAUGHS:
Iwata: :LAUGHS:

You better not be dissing Typhlosion.

Dabookerman said:

eeeeeee!! i'm so excited!!! Crystal was the only pokemon game i ever finished so i feel very nostalgic about it.

walker thing looks like a (new) pikachu tamagochi.:lol

Also i loved cyndaquil! stop baggin' him - he's adorable! and Typhlosion is kickass.

For me i liked this series best because the pokemon were all still pretty good. I'm not a fan of the newer pokemon (there's too many for my liking, and some of the character designs were a bit...off).

clay_ghost said:
I can only remember a huge problem with it.
Saving every time you need to change pcbox.(There is also the cloning glitch that uses the pc saving trick )
:lol this really bugged me... until i made lots of eevee clones. :D this was the best glitch ever.

One question. I'm going to Japan next year to study. My Japanese isn't all that fantastic, and my Kanji knowledge is pretty limited. (Will pokemon even have much kanji?) I'm not sure if i'll be able to understand whats going on. (I bought the NANA game for the DS a while back and that took me forever to figure out). Bearing in mind that i live in Australia and that it probably won't be out until i get back in '11, should i buy it in JP, or wait. Or both?

Beautiful OP man.

Will this game actually include 493 pokemon!? I haven't played since the original gold/silver, and that number just flew over my head.

upandaway

shanshan310 said:
One question. I'm going to Japan next year to study. My Japanese isn't all that fantastic, and my Kanji knowledge is pretty limited. I'm not sure if i'll be able to understand whats going on. (I bought the NANA game for the DS a while back and that took me forever to figure out). Bearing in mind that i live in Australia and that it probably won't be out until i get back in '11, should i buy it in JP, or wait. Or both?
Your best shot might be to look up some Japanese screenshots from Platinum and see if you understand what's said.

I don't see how you won't though, I doubt there's any Kanji since the thing is meant to be readable by kids.

JosM88:
All 493 are in (plus all their different forms, which make up to about 530), but only the first 251 are in before you finish E4, and not all 493 can be caught inside the game, some have to be transferred from Platinum or from the GBA games.

theluma

Lol at OP.

Seriously tempted to import this but I'll wait so I can actually understand what is going on.

Silver is such an amazing game!

upandaway said:
You know, Hawaii is a nice place. It's a really nice place.

Yes, I understand it sold well. But the game it self. If remade, it would be a completely new game rather than just a remake. Since RS removed so much from GSC.

upandaway

Dabookerman said:
Yes, I understand it sold well. But the game it self. If remade, it would be a completely new game rather than just a remake. Since RS removed so much from GSC.
Was it that much? Day/night will be added, graphics will be updated, whatever new comes in Gen 5 will be added, and.. that's about it. That's just another Pokemon remake.

I doubt anything that was removed between RS and GSC will make a return in Gen 5, if that's what you're saying. They wouldn't start adding things like radio into the main series just because the remakes had it, so it's not like RS remakes become too different because they didn't have it in the original.

Or maybe I lost you somewhere and I answered something totally different. I'm not thinking straight right now.

Top Bottom