• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Shiggie said:
I think the RSE starters are the worst next is DPPt.

RSE had the Achamo and Kimori lines, which were both awesome, and Mizugoro was pretty cool, too.

Achamo may seem a little lame at first, but Bashamo is one of the most awesome third forms in any of the games. And all three of the DPPt starters kick ass, too.

lyre

Dabookerman said:
I just mean, why would you remake Ruby/Sapphire.
Cause they'll overhaul the entire system with the next games so they can force everyone to start from scratch and milk that series of battle rules, conditions and statistics for two or so generations of games.

Netto-kun said:
Seeing how they've added Crystal contents into HG/SS, I highly doubt they'll do a remake of Crystal.
So Extreme Speed Dragonair is confirmed to be in the game then?

zumphry

Banned
NightBlade88 said:
Yeah, Tyranitar was a fucking monster. I just wish you could turn off his sandstorm ability. especially when your trying to battle quickly, and it keeps saying "The sandstorm Rages!" after every fucking turn.

Ugh, I hate the Sandstorm ability, and the desert areas found in R/S/E and D/P/Pt. I'd rather see a constant Sandstorm happening, with your Pokemon taking damage after they attack(or like it is now). That might help speed the process up. :/

hemtae said:
Swampert and Infernape are better than any other starter.

Torchic was just designed to be a cute Pokemon, but Blaziken was pretty awesome in my opinion.

Generally, I like the last evolution of every starter, just that the first stage of some of them are just stupid, or too cute.

Delio

I dont think Extremespeed Dratini was confirmed yet. But i hope it's there as it was a really big help later on in the game.

upandaway

KuwabaraTheMan said:
RSE had the Achamo and Kimori lines, which were both awesome, and Mizugoro was pretty cool, too.

Achamo may seem a little lame at first, but Bashamo is one of the most awesome third forms in any of the games. And all three of the DPPt starters kick ass, too.
Wanna translate that to the English names please? No clue who those are.

lyre said:
So Extreme Speed Dragonair is confirmed to be in the game then?
I doubt it. All stats and movepools were updated to RSE level in the original remakes, with tiny changes.

Edit: Actually, I don't know. The more I think about it.... might happen. Hell, now I'm hoping for it too.

ZayneH said:
Generally, I like the last evolution of every starter, just that the first stage of some of them are just stupid, or too cute.
For me, it's the second form. The only exceptions are Totodile's chain and obviously Torchic's chain. Something about the second form always clicks with me, especially Bayleef and the Gen 1 starter chains.
Sometimes I like the last form better, sometimes I don't but with the second it's almost always consistent.

hemtae

ZayneH said:
Torchic was just designed to be a cute Pokemon, but Blaziken was pretty awesome in my opinion.

Blaziken was pretty good in RSE, but now he's just inferior in almost every single way to infernape

upandaway said:
Wanna translate that to the English names please? No clue who those are.

Achamo=Torchic
Kimori = Treecko
Mizugoro = Mudkip

at least according to wikipedia

zumphry

Banned
upandaway said:
For me, it's the second form. The only exceptions are Totodile's chain and obviously Torchic's chain. Something about the second form always clicks with me, especially Bayleef and the Gen 1 starter chains.
Sometimes I like the last form better, sometimes I don't but with the second it's almost always consistent.

That too. For some reason I always forget about the second form, except for Bayleaf. Maybe because of Red/Blue/Yellow, and always choosing Charmander. Something about his/her chain just made me associate the forms as stages of life, like Form 1=Childhood, Form 2=Teenage, Form 3=Adult. :lol

hemtae said:
Blaziken was pretty good in RSE, but now he's just inferior in almost every single way to infernape

True, to me it seems like Infernape was modeled after Blaziken(except being a Ape, not a Chicken/Bird), and Torterra was modeled after Venusaur(tree, not plant/bulb).

T'Zariah

Banned
Best 3rds:

1)Charizard. Will always be in the top spot. There's no possible way to top him. Was and still is my all time favorite pokemon.
2)Torterra. When he comes out shit gets real. Earthquake is a fucking monster.
3)Blastoise. It's a fucking turtle with cannons!!! That's cool as shit!

Best 2nds

1)Bayleef. Makes her 3rd evolution counter part look stupid.
2)Combusken. Fighting chicken. Pretty awesome.
3)Monferno: Fighting monkey. Even more awesome.:lol

Best 1sts

1)Mudkip. He's a meme. Nuff said.
2)Charmander. He's awesome. And was my first starter. Getting pass Misty and brock was a bitch. :lol
3)Pickachu. He's instantly recognizable by virtually any person born in the 80's. That's POWER....

OMG Aero

KuwabaraTheMan said:

Is there a reason you are using the Japanese names?

zumphry

Banned
NightBlade88 said:
Starters List...

I agree with this list, mostly. Though, Pikachu is recognizable by most people born in the 90's, too. Wonder who would be the mascot Pokemon if it wasn't for the Anime. :lol

Mr. Mime? :lol

zumphry

Banned
vectorman06 said:
But Torterra is useful in battles :D

"is the shit"
"is shit"

:p

Speaking about Torterra, I'm going to choose a Turtwig when I buy Platinum soon. Chose Chimchar in Diamond. Guess that'll continue in Gen IV, Fire then Grass. Seems like I neglect the Water starter, for some reason. :lol

ZayneH said:
I agree with this list, mostly. Though, Pikachu is recognizable by most people born in the 90's, too. Wonder who would be the mascot Pokemon if it wasn't for the Anime. :lol
In the cartoon, Ash was originally going to start out with Clefairy.

upandaway

You guys got it all wrong.

The original starter was going to be Clefairy, then it changed to Poliwhirl (which is what happened in the manga), then after a poll they decided on Pikachu.
The poll had Jigglypuff really high too, but the furthest he got was to be a recurring character, as well as Green's starter in the manga. I heard that Jigglypuff is really huge in Japan, almost as much as Pikachu, so that might say why he's in SSB.

Edit:
Also I forgot to mention, in the first ever Pokemon manga Clefairy was indeed Ash's starter, so that's the first proof.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
And? Plenty of English speaking fans use the true names. I don't see why it's such a big deal.

True names?

They are localised names. A few of the pokemon names are derived from the japanese counterparts.

And it is a big deal. Do you expect everyone to know the japanese names of all the pokemon? I think very few people on this forum do.

Ondore

HG/SS starters in order:

1) Totodile (sup natural Crunch and Ice Fang)
2) Cyndaquil
3) sharked L100 Magikarp with only Splash
4) Chikorita

Although since Totodile loses to the mandatory Red Gyarados now, if you're using a GSC starter ingame I have to say you're likely doing it wrong.

zumphry

Banned
upandaway said:
You guys got it all wrong.

The original starter was going to be Clefairy, then it changed to Poliwhirl (which is what happened in the manga), then after a poll they decided on Pikachu.
The poll had Jigglypuff really high too, but the furthest he got was to be a recurring character, as well as Green's starter in the manga. I heard that Jigglypuff is really huge in Japan, almost as much as Pikachu, so that might say why he's in SSB.

Edit:
Also I forgot to mention, in the first ever Pokemon manga Clefairy was indeed Ash's starter, so that's the first proof.

Hah, considered my mind blown. The Poliwhirl starter does make sense due to the manga.

lyre

KuwabaraTheMan said:
And? Plenty of English speaking fans use the true names. I don't see why it's such a big deal.
If you insist on using romanised monster names, from now on, I will expect in addition to your using Japanese monster names, in proper japanese text, that the rest of your posts here and the rest of gaf be proper Japanese as well. Otherwise, it's irritating to the rest of the forum that speaks primarily english (all 99.9 per cent of them).

So change or brush up on your kanji.

VGChampion said:
That's what I do. I never get into the breeding or any of that though. I go with my favorite / coolest looking until the end.

Yip.

Don't care for competitive play ;p

Will never play anyone. Just me and my little adventure.

Busaiku said:
Has it been confirmed as to whether or not the Poke Walker will be making it to the US?
o52kaa.jpg

Whats the name of the game this came from? I forgotz!

Anyway, yay!!!

Im not going to make the misstake of getting Gold again!

zumphry

Banned
Dabookerman said:
Yip.

Don't care for competitive play ;p

Will never play anyone. Just me and my little adventure.

Yep, same here. Though, I wouldn't mind battling people just with each of our individual favorites, though.

(But I wouldn't mind easing my way into competitive battling, but I wouldn't just do that)

lyre said:
If you insist on using romanised monster names, from now on, I will expect in addition to your using Japanese monster names, in proper japanese text, that the rest of your posts here and the rest of gaf be proper Japanese as well. Otherwise, it's irritating to the rest of the forum that speaks primarily english (all 99.9 per cent of them).

So change or brush up on your kanji.

I know enough Japanese that I could do that, but it would simply be pointless to do so, and make it so that almost no one could read my posts.

I really don't see what the issue is. I don't know all of the English Pokemon names, but I don't complain that people don't use those. I'm not speaking a foreign language, I'm just using the names that I'm familiar with.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I know enough Japanese that I could do that, but it would simply be pointless to do so, and make it so that almost no one could read my posts.

I really don't see what the issue is. I don't know all of the English Pokemon names, but I don't complain that people don't use those. I'm not speaking a foreign language, I'm just using the names that I'm familiar with.

You're using foreign names.

Look at it from everyone else's point of view. If I started changing every noun in my posts to something in another language, wouldn't you find that annoying?

terithegreat

Neo Member
God, the comparison picture has me so excited for this game... It's probably my second favorite after Red/Blue/Yellow. So many good memories.

KuwabaraTheMan said:

There are Pokémon with their Japanese names intact in the game? Most people won't know what you are saying.

Then again, on some other forums I've been to, the people who use the Japanese names act like they are superior to everyone else. "OMG LOOK AT MY ACHAMO" - Japanophile, "Who the hell is Achamo?" - Everyone Else

Anyway, I was thinking about importing these, but there are too many other games coming out at the moment that I want. I'll just wait until March/April when they're released stateside.

Gravijah

KuwabaraTheMan said:

I'd recommend brushing up, then. People unfamiliar are just going to ask you to elaborate each time, or google it and bitch, so any time you might be saving is useless.

upandaway said:
Real trainers battle with their
favorite POKéMON.
In the anime, yes.

VGChampion said:
That's what I do. I never get into the breeding or any of that though. I go with my favorite / coolest looking until the end.
Because you don't battle with anyone stronger than you.

I'm so excited about this :D

I remember having both versions, but I played the silver version and my brother played the gold. I will play the gold one this time around :D can't wait.

Hey check it out! I found my ol' GBA under my bed and rekindled my love for crystal. I haven't touched this in years. Apparently my old team was:
Pidgeotto, Suicune, Typhlosion, Jolteon, Rapidash, and Cubone.
Am i the only person who gave Pokemon nicknames?

2usym8g.jpg

I used to have a GBP but it was red... and pokemon was red... and when it died pokemon went with it =(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
NightBlade88 said:
Best 1sts

1)Mudkip. He's a meme. Nuff said.
2)Charmander. He's awesome. And was my first starter. Getting pass Misty and brock was a bitch. :lol
3)Pickachu. He's instantly recognizable by virtually any person born in the 80's. That's POWER....

Technically, the rat with hepatitis is a 2nd form.

billy.sea

Banned
I wish all Pokemon are balance in their final form. There are many pokemon no one will care to train because they inherently weak, while some are overpower.

Also, am surprise there is no comparison screenshots of the old vs. new.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
shanshan310 said:
Am i the only person who gave Pokemon nicknames?

I give every single pokemon I catch a nickname, I run out of ideas so a lot of times they end up being named after the person I saw last, where I'm standing as I'm playing it, or food I wanna eat. Going through my pokemon PC box is almost like a log book.

Top Bottom