• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Wiseblade

Gravijah said:
I think they only call you for battles, but I can't really remember.

Oh no, Emerald has its fair share of Joeys. You can't decline them either. But Gym leader rematches, Utterly broken RNG and masterball and Rare candy cloning is worth it imo.

survivor

Banned
I need some help with the Safari Zone. I have been looking at the list of Pokemon that I can catch there from Serebii.net and some of them are confusing me. What is with this After x days. Does this mean after x days, the Pokemon will appear? Also when do the days start counting. Is it after I place the required objects or after I select the area and just leave it there?

survivor said:
I need some help with the Safari Zone. I have been looking at the list of Pokemon that I can catch there from Serebii.net and some of them are confusing me. What is with this After x days. Does this mean after x days, the Pokemon will appear? Also when do the days start counting. Is it after I place the required objects or after I select the area and just leave it there?
The moment you get access to Blocks(which lure out certain pokemon), the game keeps track of how long the active Areas in the Safari Zone have been active.

You get Blocks after beating the Elite 4 for the first time.

Since there are 12 areas and the pokemon that are lured out by the blocks vary in each area, you have to figure out which areas you want to have active and in which order. Once you switch out an area it resets the day count for that area.

Example: It's been 4 days since you beat the E4 and you find out that you want to get Riolu in the Meadow area. Luckily the area is already active, so you just have to place the required 10 Forest Blocks and 14 Peak Blocks and then wait 66 days.

Had it not been active, you would have had to switch it in and wait 70 days instead.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
survivor said:

Yeah, after you select the area like "Marshland," those many days afterwards are when those Pokemon will start appearing.

survivor

Banned
Alright thanks.

So I'm looking at the list, should I switch to those 6 areas for now: Meadow, Rocky Beach, Wetland, Forest, Swamp, Mountain? They seem to be the 6 areas with the highest days.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
survivor said:
Alright thanks.

So I'm looking at the list, should I switch to those 6 areas for now: Meadow, Rocky Beach, Wetland, Forest, Swamp, Mountain? They seem to be the 6 areas with the highest days.

That's a pretty good choice, although Metroid Killer suggested that you keep a couple of the lower days and swap them out when they "run up" so you don't get bored. Although I guess you can't go wrong either way, you'll still wait the same amount of time.

Gravijah

Metroid Killer said:
The moment you get access to Blocks(which lure out certain pokemon), the game keeps track of how long the active Areas in the Safari Zone have been active.

You get Blocks after beating the Elite 4 for the first time.

Since there are 12 areas and the pokemon that are lured out by the blocks vary in each area, you have to figure out which areas you want to have active and in which order. Once you switch out an area it resets the day count for that area.

Example: It's been 4 days since you beat the E4 and you find out that you want to get Riolu in the Meadow area. Luckily the area is already active, so you just have to place the required 10 Forest Blocks and 14 Peak Blocks and then wait 66 days.

Had it not been active, you would have had to switch it in and wait 70 days instead.

Are you positive it resets the day counter? I've read in a few places it doesn't.

thefil

Okay, noon has *got* to qualify as daytime, yet my Budew still won't evolve. Is two hearts guaranteed to mean max happiness on the friendship checker?

*edit* Ack! Apparently two BIG hearts means love. My Budew just finds me reasonable.

Gravijah

thefil said:
Okay, noon has *got* to qualify as daytime, yet my Budew still won't evolve. Is two hearts guaranteed to mean max happiness on the friendship checker?

*edit* Ack! Apparently two BIG hearts means love. My Budew just finds me reasonable.

I was gonna ask if you're leveling it, but I assume you are. :lol

thefil

The_Technomancer said:
Hmmm, any good way to tell if an Eevee is at "evolve" levels of happiness? What should I be seeing when I talk to it?

Talk to the woman in Goldenrod, house just north of the bike shop. You want to see "It looks really happy! It must love you a lot."

Gravijah said:
Damn, I haven't been putting any blocks down... I'm an idiiiiiot.
Which also means there's a flaw in my explanation above... It's basically all about the blocks and not the areas.

The blocks get 'upgraded' every 10 days they are in an active area. Once they are upgraded they'll never lose their 'power'.

Edit: Hmm maybe not... Damn now I'm getting all confused about the Safari Zone again! :lol Once I have that Solrock, Nosepass and Riolu I'm outta here!

Gravijah

Metroid Killer said:
Which also means there's a flaw in my explanation above... It's basically all about the blocks and not the areas.

The blocks get 'upgraded' every 10 days they are in an active area. Once they are upgraded they'll never lose their 'power'.

Edit: Hmm maybe not... Damn now I'm getting all confused about the Safari Zone again! :lol Once I have that Solrock, Nosepass and Riolu I'm outta here!

I have no frickin' idear. But, from bulba, in regards to switching areas:

Each area of the Safari Zone keeps a hidden count of how many days it has been used. Every ten days of that count a block type will be upgraded in that area, and Baoba will call to notify the player of this. Once a block for a certain area is upgraded, the upgrade will not disappear if the player moves the area or takes away the blocks. When blocks are upgraded, they increase effectiveness. For example, a Plains block with no upgrades would count as one Plains block, but a Plains block with one upgrade would count as two Plains blocks.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I decided to say screw it and used a bunch of my stones to pad my Pokedex (almost have a complete Kanto dex!) I assume I can get more in the Pokeathalon?

Metroid Killer said:
And some of them completely unreasonable to get. 110 days for Gible and Shelgon, 70 days for Riolu...

Still better than some of the Pokewalker Pokemon. XD I won't get some of those until like three years for now.

Echoes

Thank god I already have those. I haven't even started *anything* in the Safari Zone. My god this game is freaking crazy. So much to do >.< (which is good!)

I'm currently going to my 6th round in the Battle Frontier. I should be battling Palmer for the 2nd time, eh? What should I bring me? My team is Starmie (Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Surf, Psychic), Garchomp (EQ, Stone Edge, Outrage, S Dance), and Charizard (Fire Blast, Brick Break, Hidden Power Grass, Roost). Is that good?

Oh and, Mt. Silver has the best music in all of Pokemon games. So goddamn EPIC!

RyanDG

Okay - I got the Pokemon game online for my wife. If someone has a moment and would be willing to bring my wife's Jirachi/Pikachu colored Pichu over - I would appreciate it! Just let me know if you can and I'll post up the two friend's codes for Diamond/Soul Silver.

Bii

The_Technomancer said:
Arghhh! Okay, how do I "take a nap in my bed" on the S.S Aqua? I've tried examining it from all angles and hitting every button while in it.

You have to walk "into it" so it looks like you're laying in it. Just like the sailor in the other room.

RyanDG

OMG Aero said:
Don't suppose anyone could help me trade a Nincada from Platinum to Silver?

I am new at this whole trading stuff, so I really don't know what I'm doing, but if you are willing to help get my wife's Jirachi/Pichu over from Diamond to Silver I can help you with yours.

I am not sure what the easiest way would be to do it, but I'd be happy to help.

I'm thinking that I'll get on my Diamond game, have you trade your Nincada from your Platinum to Silver. Then while you are on Silver, have you trade my Jirachi/Pichu over there while I then go hop onto Silver to get them back?

Let me know if you are up to do it real quick and I'll post my stuff.

OMG Aero

RyanDG said:
I am new at this whole trading stuff, so I really don't know what I'm doing, but if you are willing to help get my wife's Jirachi/Pichu over from Diamond to Silver I can help you with yours.

I am not sure what the easiest way would be to do it, but I'd be happy to help.

I'm thinking that I'll get on my Diamond game, have you trade your Nincada from your Platinum to Silver. Then while you are on Silver, have you trade my Jirachi/Pichu over there while I then go hop onto Silver to get them back?

Let me know if you are up to do it real quick and I'll post my stuff.
Yeah sure, my friend codes are 2192-9995-7217 (Silver) and 2106-5645-8567 (Platinum).

RyanDG

OMG Aero said:
Yeah sure, my friend codes are 2192-9995-7217 (Silver) and 2106-5645-8567 (Platinum).

Sounds good, will get on in Diamond first then so we can do the Nincada switch over for you.

Diamond
3052 0329 5403

Soul Silver
2493 6871 9247

There's my two codes.

After we do Nincada while you are still on Silver we can do the Jirachi switch over while I'm still on Diamond and then I'll pop over to my Soul Silver game to pick them back up.

(EDIT - Also - be patient with me. I know that kids do this all the time so it can't be too difficult - but I haven't traded pokemon since link cables. :p)

I have bred 2 boxes worth of Yanma and shattered dreams.

If anyone can spare a female Yanma, Modest nature I would be oh-so-grateful. In return I can offer up pretty much any TM. Thank you!

FC: 3782 1369 4502 (Kiron)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
OMG Aero said:
Are you sure it's your room? You can only sleep in your bed.
......now that I think about it....the sailor could have been referring to two different rooms when he told me.....and there was that Firebreather in there....I assumed he was my roommate...

.......*facepalm* thanks guys.

Mr. Sam

The_Technomancer said:
......now that I think about it....the sailor could have been referring to two different rooms when he told me.....and there was that Firebreather in there....I assumed he was my roommate....

:lol I did the same thing at first. I was like, "What the hell is this guy doing in my room and why can't I sleep in this bed!?"

Top Bottom