• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Harpuia

Harpuia said:
Anyone got an Aerodactyl I can have? Also, looking for TMs Substitute and Earthquake. I got like only Treeckos, and Charmanders. FC: 4211-6206-9635. PM me if you got any of those up for trade.

No one willing to hook a poke-bro up? :( The Aerodactyl is what I really want at the moment.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
So I just got to the Pokeathalon and... I'm having a lot of fun :lol what the hell?!

Never thought I'd be into the Pokemon mini games but it's actually really addictive.

thefil

Holy crap, I just had the most amazing fight against the fourth gym leader of Platinum. Beat her basically just with my Duskull (nicknamed DEAD PICHU). Beat her Meditite with Shadow Sneak, then levelled up and learned Curse. Immediately cursed her Machoke, taking me down to 6 HP. It attacks with a move that doesn't affect ghost. Confused it, then healed as it slowly died. Finished by cursing her Lucario which killed DEAD PICHU with a critical but then died itself. It was glorious :lol .

*edit* Also, I love the music for Veilstone City.

Kyzer

Banned
Forceatowulf said:
So I just got to the Pokeathalon and... I'm having a lot of fun :lol what the hell?!

Never thought I'd be into the Pokemon mini games but it's actually really addictive.

I hope they maintain this level of creativity in Gen 5 in terms of their usual "non-battling alternative" sidequest to the game.

They also made great use of those partner sprites here!

TUSR

Banned
Does anyone have a list of things to actually do in the game, I have become over whelmed with what to do in the game. After beating a certain Pokemon trainer and collecting an army of lucky eggs.

DarkKyo

Advice please: I'm having trouble with the Olivine
Steel
gym. Mainly my guys aren't high enough and I can't find a good place to grind around here. My team is around 28.

Dechaios said:
Steel
gym. Mainly my guys aren't high enough and I can't find a good place to grind around here. My team is around 28.
Get a good Fire type. Liquidate them something fierce.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Ashenor said:
Ah ok good to know you can get both exclusives then.

Any other difference in Silver or Gold then?

And any advice on which starter to use?

Thanks =)

What Gravijah said. Once you get far enough into the game, you'll most likely ditch your starter anyway. Just pick the one you think is cool/cute.

Big-ass Ramp

Dechaios said:
Steel

I had my Heracross take care of them.

thefil

Just came across an interesting bug. It's 00:19 in my game and I just turned it on for the first time for the day, and the Lotto person tells me I've already drawn a ticket. Swarm hasn't changed either. I don't muck with my DS's time settings either. I think it might have to do with the fact that I turned it off while in the Union room.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I'm telling him not to worry about it because if he buys the game and sees them mentioned in this thread, he'll get curious, fall down the rabbit hole and ragequit when he sees how tedious it is prior to the endgame. Hell, I'm not even at that point yet and I'm 50 hours or so in (mind you I am grinding for BP at the moment, so maybe I'm a glutton for punishment).

I enjoy grinding for BP. I like to see how far my different combinations can get me. My best so far is in the double battle tower in Dppt (this is all i really do) i have got to 199 (fuck so close) wins but i am 100% certain i can do better with that team (Ludicolo/toxicroak out first kingdra/mantine on the bench i sometimes switch mantine for lapras/vaporeon im still not sure what is the best make up is).

I also have a sunny day team, hail team, trick room team and just a bunch of generic teams. I haven't really tried these one out to much as the rain dance team is stil my favourite.

The only thing i find to be really tedious is using rare candies to check IV's and hatching eggs.

This is basically my method for training my pokemon.

Breed 15 eggs of the pokemon i want with the correct nature/ability/moves. Check each of the pokemon to see which one is the best. EV train the one with the best stats than raise it to lvl 50.

Overall this whole process isn't to long and you tend to get fairly good pokemon out of it.

My main gripes with this process are as mentioned above:

1 - Hatching eggs takes to long. Would it really hurt if they reduced hatching times? I don't see why it has to take so long.

2 - Using rare candies to check IV's. I just want a way to see IV's without doing this. Just chuck an NPC in the corner of some town hidden somewhere so his hard to find who tells you your pokemons IV's. This way the majority of people who don't care about them can continue to remain oblivious to IV's. Those of us who do care can save ourselves countless hours of checking pokemon using rare candies.

My problem with these 2 things is that there is no skill or thought involved, it is all time and luck.

I don't want them to make it so i can fully train my party in 5 minutes but i also don't see why it has to take so long.

That turned out longer than i intended:lol

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Big Ass Ramp said:
What Gravijah said. Once you get far enough into the game, you'll most likely ditch your starter anyway. Just pick the one you think is cool/cute.
Hey now. I don't care if the gen 2 starters are the worst of the bunch. Ditching your first in-game Pokemon is just not something you do.

Pietepiet

OMG Aero said:
Yeah, when I was getting items in Platinum I did the following:
Have the first Pokemon in your team as a Pokemon with Compoundeyes and let them faint in battle (Their ability is still active when fainted and I think they have to be first in the party for it to work so if they are fainted it lets you use their effect while not using them in battle), then have your second Pokemon as a Banette with frisk as it's ability and thief.
When you start a battle if the opponent has an item it will say "Banette frisked the enemy and found ???" use thief and then run, if it doesn't say this just run anyway as the Pokemon doesn't have anything.

Great, thanks! I'm gonna give that a shot :) Been wanting to train a Banette anyways.

Firestorm said:
wtf ditching your starter?
Mudkip/Marshtomp/Swampert was the worst starter evolutionary line ever, followed very closely by Treeko/Whateverhellthatmiddlethingiscalled/Sceptile. Once I got myself a Milotic, I realised I could never go back.

So I restarted and chose Torchic instead. I met a shiny Poochyena just after restarting but before I got my first set of pokeballs, so I guess that's the game's way of punishing me for that grievous sin.

El Sloth

Banned
Mudkip/Marshtomp/Swampert was the worst starter evolutionary line ever, followed very closely by Treeko/Whateverhellthatmiddlethingiscalled/Sceptile. Once I got myself a Milotic, I realised I could never go back.

So I restarted and chose Torchic instead. I met a shiny Poochyena just after restarting but before I got my first set of pokeballs, so I guess that's the game's way of punishing me for that grievous sin.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, I can not imagine the pain that followed.

I like Treecko. :(

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Sceptile was alright. Of course, since I solo'd the game with him I never really had a chance to figure out what he lacked because I was always overleveled, but at least he learns usable moves of more than one type by level up. That is more than I can say for Typhlosion.

El Sloth said:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, I can not imagine the pain that followed.
I won't lie to you. It broke my heart to faint it. I even kept switching from the battle menu to the pokeballs pocket of the backpack on the off-chance that atmospheric radio interference would glitch the game and magically make some pokeballs appear there.

;_;

Still don't regret dumping Swampert for Milotic and Blaziken, though.

EDIT: Sceptile and Swampert aren't objectively terrible. It was just that they were outshone by other pokemon you could obtain in-game, both in battle and in design. You can't really say that about most of the other starters.

I wouldn't, for instance, switch out a Venusaur for a Gloom, but a Sceptile for a Shiftry? I'd think long and hard about it. Swampert for Milotic? I'm totally there.

Firestorm

Well, from a competitive standpoint, Swampert and Sceptile are two of the best starters in the series =P

Firestorm said:
Well, from a competitive standpoint, Swampert and Sceptile are two of the best starters in the series =P
Swampert is good because of his typing, I assume. Sceptile is fast, but what else does he really have?

Also, I'm pretty sure Swampert sucked prior to the physical/special split.

Big-ass Ramp

Andrex said:
But the entire game was about proving that notion wrong!! Didn't you pay attention to the rival?!

must have missed it

Gravijah said:
Why would you ditch your starter? They usually have good stats, good typing in later generations, plus they look cool.

Outside of Charizard and Blastoise, I have never liked the starters. I have always thought that they look weird. I always thought there were better fire/water/grass pokes out there.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
Why would you ditch your starter? They usually have good stats, good typing in later generations, plus they look cool.

I just put the finishing touches on a competitive Empoleon. :D Empoleon is the best third-form of a starter ever. Water + Steel? Come on!

STFU nostalgia fetishists!

Gravijah

Andrex said:
I just put the finishing touches on a competitive Empoleon. :D Empoleon is the best third-form of a starter ever. Water + Steel? Come on!

STFU nostalgia fetishists!

Swampert+Empoleon=best starters ever. Love those guys.

El Sloth

Banned
I won't lie to you. It broke my heart to faint it. I even kept switching from the battle menu to the pokeballs pocket of the backpack on the off-chance that atmospheric radio interference would glitch the game and magically make some pokeballs appear there.

;_;

Still don't regret dumping Swampert for Milotic and Blaziken, though.

I've been in that same exact situation while I was Feebas hunting in Plat and also kept checking if I had any pokeballs left:lol . I was there for something like 2 hours before I finally found one and realized I had in fact no pokeballs because I had just used them all up while trying to catch
Palkia/Dialga
. I only ever carried duskballs and had already used my Master Ball on the roamers.

I now always keep a ridiculous amount of pokeballs with me just in case.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
Swampert+Empoleon=best starters ever. Love those guys.

I don't like how Swampert looks but Empoleon hits that sweet spot of looking cool, being unique (typing), and not sucking competitively. Just an all around fantastic Poke. ^_^

Wiseblade where are you! I need you here before people start saying my opinion is wrong!

Firestorm

Swampert is good because of his typing, I assume. Sceptile is fast, but what else does he really have?

Also, I'm pretty sure Swampert sucked prior to the physical/special split.
I think he was actually more popular in Advance than he is in DP.

Found my second shiny ever a few hours ago, while hunting for a Ditto after breeding like, 120 Yanma trying to get a modest nature. It was a Rattata.

...wow.

El Sloth

Banned
Scalpel Knight said:
Found my second shiny ever a few hours ago, while hunting for a Ditto after breeding like, 120 Yanma trying to get a modest nature. It was a Rattata.

...wow.

And it isn't even in the top percentile of Rattata's.

Gravijah said:
This Pokémon is one of the most commonly used Water-types out there, but it has some major problems. First of all, Ice Beam doesn't really hurt Skarmory or Weezing enough to deter them away. Rock Slide does absolutely nothing to them, and Surf leaves you helpless against Salamence. It's up to you to decide which move to give it to best suit your team. Regardless, Ludicolo and Celebi will own you no matter what set you have.
Notorious at forcing switches, but doesn't really cause much damage to anything. If the opponent switches out due to fear of Earthquake, you can use Ice Beam on a predicted Grass-type or a Water attack for the likes of Gengar and Skarmory. Hydro Pump is sometimes used since it is powerful enough to do major damage against most Gengar, but Surf is always an option for those who prefer better accuracy and more PP. Protect is there to get you Leftovers recovery (which will happen even if Sand Stream is up), and lets you scout Choice Banders as well as Explosion, especially handy for Metagross. Usually it suffices as a recovery option, as a Resting Swampert tends to lose against Dragon Dancers if it's not healed by Aromatherapy or Heal Bell. Roar can take advantage of Swampert's ability to force switches by Roaring them as they switch, causing the opponent to take two layers of Spikes damage. However, you'll really want to use this with Wish, as without Protect or Rest to heal it up, Tyranitar and Salamence will eventually wear it down
Swampert can learn Endeavour, but is too slow for it.

Always sucked. Always.

Top Bottom