• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon: Magikarp Jump - Mobile game on staggered release

Chille

This game is a pleasing game, but the realisation hit me that it's the epitome of mobile gaming.

It actually has no skill whatsoever. You sit and feed your Magikarp, then compete in the leagues which are essentially Top Trumps where if your value is higher, you win or you lose. Then rinse and repeat. There's nothing that actually requires your attention or control. It's just mindless raising of a Magikarp.

First I want to say, really love your website I go to it for anything Pokemon related

and on another note, gimme gimme gimme

Kyonashi

Does it require an internet connection?

That is literally the one thing that will make me download it or not, I like little mobile games for my commute but I get the underground.

JoeM86

Dropped some money into it and it does speed things up a bit. It allows you to collect support stuff more and get more decorations, but there's still a significant grind to it. It doesn't negate that.

My aquarium is looking pretty cool though

DAWUgNtXkAEXkpD.jpg

Westraid

Seems to be out on IOS, EDIT: Google Play link is here.

It says my device is incompatible, and I hope with all of my kokoro this is just a bug because I've been looking forward to this game so much.

JoeM86

Oh. You can never ever buy more than 5000 Diamonds. The limit it gives you is not reset.
Seems to be out on IOS, EDIT: Google Play link is here.

It says my device is incompatible, and I hope with all of my kokoro this is just a bug because I've been looking forward to this game so much.

Probably incompatible because it's not live in your region yet.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
LOL I didn't respect the Magikarp's abilities and my Karla (2nd gen) got killed.
Gen 3 is named RIP Karla.

JoeM86

Right, I've now 100%'d it (well I'm missing two Styles and two events, but everything else...)

You cannot get higher than Trainer Rank 51 / Magikarp Level 61 at this time.

Stages go up to Expert League 3. That's a total of 115 stages thus far.

The game has promised updates

Kouriozan

I was going to ask if it was already translated to French, but I switched to my JP iTunes account and yes it is, sweet!
Saute, Magicarpe!

Qwark

I probably won't stick with this game long term as it looks fairly shallow, but I'll give it a try. Hopefully it goes live in US soon.

JoeM86

I probably won't stick with this game long term as it looks fairly shallow, but I'll give it a try. Hopefully it goes live in US soon.

It's the epitome of a mobile title. It's a time killer. It hasn't got much depth for it, but for the 5 minutes you're on a bus or something it's perfect

Kouriozan

Damn, I had a golden Magikarp as my 5th one but got greedy and he got immedialty kidnapped by a Pidgeotto right after the first training T-T
Since it was so early I restarted from the start but didn't have much luck this time.

Svafnir

Oh my god, it's like the world's slowest clicker game. Could be a fun little distraction, but there are too many slow animations, delays, and interstitial screens for it to be an enjoyable experience.

Yeah thinking about, this woulda been way better as a traditional clicker.

JoeM86

So I've got a food item up to Level 75. It now gives 3.77 Million Jump Power as standard.

Hell of a grind to get there though

JoeM86

Here are some tips

1) Power up the food over Training. Food is a quicker way of getting JP.
2) Don't spend Diamonds on Coin Sacks. It can be tempting, but the coin value you get increases as you level up.
3) Decoration effects will still be active even if not on display. Get the Whimsicott Cushion first, then Shaymin Planter for their boosts
4) Don't waste Diamonds on Training Soda. It will rarely give you the effect you want.

Svafnir

Here are some tips

1) Power up the food over Training. Food is a quicker way of getting JP.
2) Don't spend Diamonds on Coin Sacks. It can be tempting, but the coin value you get increases as you level up.
3) Decoration effects will still be active even if not on display. Get the Whimsicott Cushion first, then Shaymin Planter for their boosts
4) Don't waste Diamonds on Training Soda. It will rarely give you the effect you want.

Thanks. How often should I check app to clear all the food? And is there any way to get Diamond Miner without spending money?

Thanks!

JoeM86

Thanks. How often should I check app to clear all the food? And is there any way to get Diamond Miner without spending money?

Thanks!

Food should make out within 5 to 10 minutes really

And no. The Diamond Miner is only available after purchasing 2500 Diamonds

Tyeforce

So the Whimsicott Cushion and Shaymin Planter are the best Decorations to spend Diamonds on? What about Friendship items? Any particular Pokémon I should try to get? I've got 580 Diamonds and I want to make sure I spend them wisely, lol.

JoeM86

So the Whimsicott Cushion and Shaymin Planter are the best Decorations to spend Diamonds on? What about Friendship items? Any particular Pokémon I should try to get? I've got 580 Diamonds and I want to make sure I spend them wisely, lol.

Litten gives a lot of JP so is a top choice

Whimsicott Cushion is good as it gives an increase in Experience gained from each League match, helping you level up good.
Shaymin Planter gives you a boost for all the food you eat

Tyeforce

Litten gives a lot of JP so is a top choice

Whimsicott Cushion is good as it gives an increase in Experience gained from each League match, helping you level up good.
Shaymin Planter gives you a boost for all the food you eat
Awesome, thanks! I'll save up for Litten then!

Svafnir

Don't tap Magikarp too rapidly. It'll break the Everstone and evolve into Gyarados next level up haha

Evolves at lvl 20 I think!

Edit: Also game seems to spawn your least valuable berry the most often. I upgraded my first berry to be more valuable than the second... now the second berry spawns all the time. Damn you game trying to game my progress!

JoeM86

Evolves at lvl 20 I think!

Edit: Also game seems to spawn your least valuable berry the most often. I upgraded my first berry to be more valuable than the second... now the second berry spawns all the time. Damn you game trying to game my progress!

Yep.

At the moment, the Oran Berry is giving me 660,000 per berry while Sitrus is giving me 29.5k. I'm seeing Oran Berry a lot less these days

I like it so far, seems super grindy seeing all you guys progress done already but hey, I'll take it since I'm blocked from playing GO on my custom ROM.

My second Magikarp is a calico. So cute.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Be honest, who is jealous of my sick ass motherfucking magikarp?

1GZIMZZ.png

Top Bottom