• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon: Magikarp Jump - Mobile game on staggered release

So I spent the $6 on the welcome bundles but I don't want to spend any more real money. I have 522 diamonds, should I buy the whimsicott now or wait for something else?

Kouriozan

Generations 16 now and still no Golden Magikarp, I really hate that Pidgeotto who took mine >.<
I assumed as much, I just wanted to make sure the game doesn't, like, penalize you by making you buy a new one or something. So every new Magikarp just comes with an Everstone I take it?

Yep!

How rare is the golden Magikarp? I got mine on the third generation. His max level is 14, and he's retiring soon cause he's level 13 at the moment.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I might give this game a try. I've played another game by the same developers (I think it was called Hunt Cook) and kinda liked it. It was very simple, but cute. I like their art style in general.

Durden77

This shit is fucking charming as shit and dumb as fuck and hysterical as hell and what the fuck am I doing with my life

Westraid

Does that occur during the Berry Tree event? People keep mentioning this without the context.

Afaik it can only happen during the berry tree event and if you are on the main screen and you make your Magikarp jump out of the water.

Both are easily avoided, by declining to take a berry from the tree and not having Magikarp leap out of the water.
The Voltorb one can also be avoided in a similar way as the Berry tree event.

Even so if you're early in the game it doesn't take long to max out another Magikarp, and the game is designed in a way that you aren't supposed to keep the same Magikarp that long anyway.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Afaik it can only happen during the berry tree event and if you are on the main screen and you make your Magikarp jump out of the water.

Both are easily avoided, by declining to take a berry from the tree and not having Magikarp leap out of the water.
Yeah, but the reward for the tree jump is worth it.

Nepenthe

Even so if you're early in the game it doesn't take long to max out another Magikarp, and the game is designed in a way that you aren't supposed to keep the same Magikarp that long anyway.

Thanks for the answer!

And I'm pretty early in the game- on a Gen 5 Magikarp- but I'm already finding maxing the fishies out a bit of a noticeable grind. I'm impatient for these games and don't like putting them aside to wait on things to refresh. xP I'll stop jumping for berries and out of the water.

Nepenthe

So.

If you happen upon a random Pokeball after training.

It could be full of money.

Or a Voltorb in disguise. ;~;

RIP my calico.

Kouriozan

How rare is the golden Magikarp? I got mine on the third generation. His max level is 14, and he's retiring soon cause he's level 13 at the moment.
Pretty rare, before choosing a rod you can see Magikarp rarities (1/2/3 stars) and they mention 3 stars is like 1% chances.
Of course Gold Magikarp is 3 stars.

Nepenthe

Ohhh jeez. That's sad to hear. I like the randomness aspect I guess.

On the bright side, it only was trained twice. Didn't get much use out of it. xD But I agree that it's interesting that events can basically screw you over in such a way. Risk vs. reward and all of that.

Pretty rare, before choosing a rod you can see Magikarp rarities (1/2/3 stars) and they mention 3 stars is like 1% chances.
Of course Gold Magikarp is 3 stars.

.... What does it say that I'm training my second Goldie as we speak?

Bert409

Giving a third-tier creature like this a starring role seems so random. It would be like giving Buzzy Beetles and Tektites their own games.

Razmos

Giving a third-tier creature like this a starring role seems so random. It would be like giving Buzzy Beetles and Tektites their own games.
I mean they made an entire song and event for Slowpoke of all things. Magikarp is an instantly recognisable popular pokemon.

Delio

I finally downloaded this and aw its so cute. I actually like that I can see my first gen Magikarp floating in the back. I wish it could have went longer but now i have a star patterned one. What makes the Magikarps evolve into Gyarados? Im guessing its random?

Robin64

This is cute for a game that is just another clicker at its core. The whole package is beautifully presented and very charming, which is key.

I also hope the various Magikarp patterns make it into the main games at some point.

Nepenthe

Is there anything I should be spending coins on the most to get the most value, per se? I tend to sink it on food since you feed your Karp more than you train it, but I'm wondering if that's the most optimal spending strategy.

Kouriozan

Is there a way to check your Magikarp bonus? (Training/event/berry)
Mine is currently level 22/30 and completely forgot which one it was.

Edit : found it in Town -> Records

vsbizarro

Banned
Dropped some money into it and it does speed things up a bit. It allows you to collect support stuff more and get more decorations, but there's still a significant grind to it. It doesn't negate that.

My aquarium is looking pretty cool though

DAWUgNtXkAEXkpD.jpg

OMFG have u stopped playing to eat sometime?

Really wanna play this game but cannot handle the trauma of losing a Karp

Wish I could just retire them to a pond :(

Also, like, can we have these Karp patterns in a mainline Pokémon game? Or, like, more pattern variations for other Pokémon?

Top Bottom