• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon master wannabe Ash Ketchum is a loser

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
He's actually de-aged if you look at the art... lol. In the first episode of BW, they mention he's still 10, so I imagine he hasn't aged even a single day since the anime started. :( However, he still has all of his old Pokemon so something must be going on....

Haha, someone has the opposite opinion:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=67878066#post67878066

the animators draw Ash much more maturely, and even have him act more mature (contrary to popular belief in the western Pokémon fandom)

Seriously, look how much he has changed. Goes clockwise: Original, AG, DP, BW then XY in the middle.

All I'm seeing is Malibu Stashy with a new hat.

You don't need a championship to be a winner. A lot of great trainers haven't won a trophy, but that doesn't make them losers. Ash wins in life, by being a good person and helping people. He's a winner.

Evilisk

So you're saying all of these adventures are in his head?

that would be a LOL worthy reveal

It's a fairly popular theory:

Did one ever know the reason why the pacing and story development change after Ash was hit by lightning in the beginning episodes? How Ash and his world were relatively normal until after the incident? I have a theory. The accident with the bike put Ash in a coma. Days later he was found and was hurried to the hospital and treated with heavy medications.

http://www.pokezam.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3941

Ash exists to teach kids to do their best at what they do. Kids will face tough challenges, but they should always aim for the top.

Also, looser?

zeopower6

Every one remember that Black and White 2 version anime promo? Yeah, that's what the Pokemon anime should be like.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BAInQ2nBZKg

Promos should stay promos, honestly. It would probably lack appeal if it became a 'full series'. At best, they could do something like the Crystal specials for that.

Haha, someone has the opposite opinion:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=67878066#post67878066

All I'm seeing is Malibu Stashy with a new hat.

Hm... it seems like Ash got skinnier and shorter with each new iteration imo.

You don't need a championship to be a winner. A lot of great trainers haven't won a trophy, but that doesn't make them losers. Ash wins in life, by being a good person and helping people. He's a winner.

He doesn't have to win, but he's never even gotten close to being the winner in an actual league yet. Is he ever going to be able to be a part of the Champion League? >_>
I hope they make Iris the Champion by the time BW ends....

Im actually preety curious in checking out the new pokemon x and y saga to see it ash wins it this time. I wish the writers would also stop delvling pikachu but i guess it needs to delevel so that the anime doesnt move too too fast or make it boring. And i agree wih the posters that said sinnoh league was bs thet was such a cop out it wasnt even funny
the guy who beats him ends up winning the whole damn thing

Also did anyone notice that ash's hat seems to look like a redesign of reds and his shirt is the x and y's male shirt only with out the long sleeves? I thought that was interesting

Pokemn is full of awful demoralising themes. I remember when Ash lost his first tournament it was a massive WTF.

Some of the themes of Pokemon:

If you work hard on something, throw it away! (All of Ash's good Pokemon)
If you work hard, you won't succeed (every tournament)
If you fail your friends will abandon you (Mist, Brock and other friend abandoning Ash after his continued failures in tournaments)

keuja

KeP2qUb.jpg

zeopower6

You guys who think that the 4Kids dub was good are insane.

I don't think people thought it was 'good' but it was kind of a sudden move to kick all of the voices out and replace them with kinda-sorta-soundalikes. There are only maybe 4-5 actors who are still around from the 4Kids era. :(

If you fail your friends will abandon you (Mist, Brock and other friend abandoning Ash after his continued failures in tournaments)

I don't think they left him because he failed... they left because they had their own obligations and dreams to pursue. (Brock = Pokemon Doctor, Misty = needed to maintain the gym or it'd shut down, etc...)

Has Ash ever even faced or beaten one of the Elite Four?

He actually fights most of them in DP in casual matches, I think. He never wins though, lol.
Since he's never beaten any of the leagues, he's not eligible to officially fight them. :(

Demon Ice

Banned
Ash may suck but Red fucking wiped the floor with my team back in Gold and Silver.

Fuck that Snorlax. I hunted down and trained a Haunter just for that motherfucker.

zeopower6

I think he faced against some of the Elite four in Diamond and Pearl.

What was the thing about Ash''s dad being Giovanni? Is it real, wiki doesn't really give a source.

I think that was the general thought back when the show started, but since then... I don't think anyone knows for sure. There was a USA-made Pokemon musical that had Ash's mom dating Giovanni at some point before leaving him for Ash's dad, but that's not canon.

Honestly, I feel like Ash's mom and Professor Oak will probably get together at some point and Gary/Ash will become related unless they bring Ash's dad in for a final anime arc in the future.

It's just a cartoon, yes. But when I think about it seriously, all I can say is that with every new game, there is an influx of new and young players. For the purposes of the anime, Ash is the main character for those new people to identify with. Yes he's experienced, and has a bunch of pokemon from other regions that are strong. But Nintendo wants the anime, in whatever its current incarnation is, to push the current game. So unfortunately, Ash 'chooses' to honor each region by starting fresh with the new pokemon, and Pikachu always has some excuse as to why he is for some reason garbage again early on, but by the pokemon league can hold its own against a Latios...

I think we all wish they'd just let Ash win it all, retire him out and then they can start fresh with all new characters. But Ash isn't really the star. Pikachu is, and it's bond with Ash is a big part of what has built and maintained that stardom.

You can have a new main character also bonded with a Pikachu/KidFriendlyMascotOfCurrentGen like most Transformers shows have a Bumblebee expy.

It truly pissed me off that brock in the DPPt series got 3 pokemon. Literally 3 the entire season. While ash and the other girl got 6+. Brock is a veteran to the show, show him some respect, give him more screentime and more pokemon.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
In theory, he should be a pretty good trainer. I mean, this is the guy who caught 30 Tauros at once and thwarted countless evil plans and beat Legendaries.

But he's an idiot. He doesn't even bring his own Pokémon along with him when going to a new region. He could have kicked everyone's asses with his old Pokémon, but no, he decides to bring along his Pikachu that apparently resets to level 5 after every region.

Seriously, wtf.

he faced the psyhic e4 from diamond and pearl only to promptly lose and i think he alsk had a mock battle with cynthia and her hacked garchomp

Man they can at least let Ash win the tournament and then lose to the E4 or the Champion.

I don't know why this bothers me so much(I don't even watch the show lol) but it's ridiculous that's it's been so long and he's still a complete failure that doesn't a stand a chance against the E4.

kingkitty

-Ash never keeps any of his good pokemon.
-Misty wanted the D but Ash didn't do shit.
-Lost every fucking tournament.

Ash truly is a loser at life.

zeopower6

It truly pissed me off that brock in the DPPt series got 3 pokemon. Literally 3 the entire season. While ash and the other girl got 6+. Brock is a veteran to the show, show him some respect, give him more screentime and more pokemon.

He was intended to be a support character that season, I think. The same thing is happening with both companions for BW too with Iris only having four Pokemon and CIlan having three. However, there are a ton of supporting characters in BW too (everyone has a rival and Ash has like three rivals at the same time) so that could be why everyone has smaller teams.

SougoXIII

What I don't understand is how Ash manage to beat the Battle Frontier then proceed to loose all of his League Challenges.

He was intended to be a support character that season, I think. The same thing is happening with both companions for BW too with Iris only having four Pokemon and CIlan having three. However, there are a ton of supporting characters in BW too (everyone has a rival and Ash has like three rivals at the same time) so that could be why everyone has smaller teams.

I much prefer Brock to be around rather than the poor replacements that they choose. But its understandable that he be replaced when in the end, they let his character amount to little more than this:

Ash-pulling-Brock-s-ear-pokemon-29616060-320-240.jpg

Ahasverus

I think we are losing our time discussing a series for 8 yrs old but I'd love an abridget darker manga adaptation some day, perhaps a miniseries of 30 chapters or something, that would rock. The current series is beyond redemption and there's nothing to do about it, it's not for us.

Brickhunt

he faced the psyhic e4 from diamond and pearl only to promptly lose and i think he alsk had a mock battle with cynthia and her hacked garchomp
The problem is that every time Ash fought an E4 member, he battled them with the still in-training regional team. Ash is at his best when the team is fully trained and has access to his reserves.

The only thing stopping Ash from winning a league is his desire to start anew each region. It's a great long term strategy that has build him an insanely powerful rooster, but I think he has more than enough power houses to take the E4.

The problem is that every time Ash fought an E4 member, he battled them with the still in-training regional team. Ash is at his best when the team is fully trained and has access to his reserves.

The only thing stopping Ash from winning a league is his desire to start anew each region. It's a great long term strategy that has build him an insanely powerful rooster, but I think he has more than enough power houses to take the E4.

So what are his best pokemon now?

End of Season Pikachu, Charizard, Snorlax ???????

markot

Banned
There is only one o in loser.

Looser means he probably sleeps around alot.

Which he does cause he travels to inns and what nots all over the place.

Top Bottom