• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon master wannabe Ash Ketchum is a loser

Gorillaz

Ok I havn't really watched his show in a decade but if Ash used every pokemon he's earned from the beginning of the series to now and went back to the first region championship would he actually win for once?

zeopower6

What I don't understand is how Ash manage to beat the Battle Frontier then proceed to loose all of his League Challenges.

Less diversity in the Battle Frontier? :/ It seems like a super condensed version of the normal leagues that skips the League battles pre-Champion League that Ash usually loses in.

farisr

I would still watch the series if it had actual progression.

I recall Ash beating some tough ass people, and his pikachu being so "leveled up" and near the start of the "next chapter" of his journey his pikachu ends up losing to a kid's starter pokemon who the kid has only been with for less than a month. I was like "okay, screw it, this is too much of a reset."

Just plain lazy writing. They could easily get around it by giving ash a new starter pokemon of that region and have ash try to fight with that (and will only use pikachu at higher level fights/and in team rocket/magma etc situations). Losing then wouldn't seem as stupid.

The problem is that every time Ash fought an E4 member, he battled them with the still in-training regional team. Ash is at his best when the team is fully trained and has access to his reserves.

The only thing stopping Ash from winning a league is his desire to start anew each region. It's a great long term strategy that has build him an insanely powerful rooster, but I think he has more than enough power houses to take the E4.

Honestly i think he does have the roster to beat an e4 member with a fully secked out team he managed to beat all the frontier brains an they had equal skills to e4 members i feel now that his
charizards back
i think his next league might be a good one

Ahasverus

Honestly i think he does have the roster to beat an e4 member with a fully secked out team he managed to beat all the frontier brains an they had equal skills to e4 members i feel now that his
charizards back
i think his next league might be a good one

You know it will be kicked in the ass by some trainer using a suicune or kyorge or some bullshit like that.
Really, shinnoh league?

zeopower6

So what are his best pokemon now?

End of Season Pikachu, Charizard, Snorlax ???????

Probably end of season Pikachu, Charizard, Snorlax, Sceptile, Torterra, and Infernape?

Didnt they bring him back

He never really left until post-DP where he started studying to become a Pokemon Doctor. He could come back when he's Dr. Brock though, lol. Cilan and Iris replaced him.

I recall Ash beating some tough ass people, and his pikachu being so "leveled up" and near the start of the "next chapter" of his journey his pikachu ends up losing to a kid's starter pokemon who the kid has only been with for less than a month. I was like "okay, screw it, this is too much of a reset."

In BW, he kind of had a reason since Pikachu
lost the ability to use electric attacks at first because of Zekrom.

SougoXIII

Less diversity in the Battle Frontier? :/ It seems like a super condensed version of the normal leagues that skips the League battles pre-Champion League that Ash usually loses in.

But the trainers in the Battle Frontier were way above the level of your average trainer in the pre-Champion League. Ash managed to go toe-to-toe with legendaries such as Articuno and Regice and came out victorious. Logic dictate that he should be able to blitz through the pre-Champion League with sheer power alone but he haven't even reach the Elite Four once.

zeopower6

But the trainers in the Battle Frontier and way above the level of your average trainer in the pre-Champion League. Ash managed to go toe-to-toe with legendaries such as Articuno and Regice and came out victorious. Logic dictate that he should be able to blitz through the pre-Champion League with sheer power alone but he haven't even reach the Elite Four once.

They must be saving an actual Elite Four matchup for the anime's endgame. It's the only reason why they probably won't let Ash actually get to the Champion League. He can win in the leagues where it doesn't matter (Orange, Battle Frontier) but then when it comes to possibly becoming a Champion, they kick him out in the quarterfinals.

You know it will be kicked in the ass by some trainer using a suicune or kyorge or some bullshit like that.
Really, shinnoh league?

While true it could get its ass kicked but the best wishes saga ( just gonna use that name to reference black and white) gives ash his
charizard after fully training
i dont know what pokes he ised in sinnoh bt i recall he didnt use it.

Moaradin

I used to be really into the anime back when. I gotta admit, I still have a lot of nostalgia for it. I'm afraid it won't hold up if I try to re-watch it.

Can't remember exactly when I stopped watching but I think it was around the time they changed the voices.

Brickhunt

Pikachu, Charizard and Sceptile are top tier, since they have defeated legendaries.
Besides them, I also consider Snorlax, Heracross, Infernape and Krookodile among the top fighters.

SougoXIII

They must be saving an actual Elite Four matchup for the anime's endgame. It's the only reason why they probably won't let Ash actually get to the Champion League. He can win in the leagues where it doesn't matter (Orange, Battle Frontier) but then when it comes to possibly becoming a Champion, they kick him out in the quarterfinals.

I understand the reasoning but I just wish that there at least some consistency in the anime. The Unova League was an absolute joke (Evolution = Free Win). Even if he wasn't using his power houses, Ash's skill as a trainer should easily made it so he could reach higher than the Top Four (which is the highest the he ever get in the anime if I'm not wrong).

For what it's worth, Best Wishes was their attempt at a reboot. I've been hoping that the changing demographics for the games would do something to convinced the top brass to shake up the anime to the point that it'd be at least somewhat accessible to a slightly older audience.
I do feel that best wishes like the games it self did a decent job in trying to reboot the series in some ways for example iris and cilan remind me of the first seasons misty and brock albeit written differently ( and somewhat poorly)

MisterHero

but he is friends with mewtwo and mewtwo is the best pokemon and one time the combined might of mewtwo and mew could not stop ash ketchum from living

LaNaranja

What happened to his Charizard? Didn't he let him go after like the third movie or something? I stopped watching after that.

OP is right, Ash is a looser.

EulaCapra

From the OP article link:
509358-delia_ketchum___ash_ketchum.jpg

"Silly Ash! Your mom doesn’t love you!"

MY. RIBS.

fates

But I have to say Ash Ketchum is such a fucking loser and it's painful.

He loses every Pokemon League and it's pathetic!

I agree. However, in the first two generations, there was a lovable loser aspect to Ash. ESPECIALLY the Generation I Ash. He was just so entertaining you didn't care if he became the champ or not. In fact, him being this sort of underdog made it all the more better.

But as he got more serious as Gen 3 progressed... he lost that, and I eventually stopped watching save for the occasional episode now and then.

zeopower6

I understand the reasoning but I just wish that there at least some consistency in the anime. The Unova League was an absolute joke (Evolution = Free Win). Even if he wasn't using his power houses, Ash's skill as a trainer should easily made it so he could reach higher than the Top Four (which is the highest the he ever get in the anime if I'm not wrong).

From DP to BW, the evolution = free win thing is an issue. Evolving during battle is such a cop-out. :( Very rarely does anyone lose after they get that evolution.

What happened to his Charizard? Didn't he let him go after like the third movie or something? I stopped watching after that.

He was allowed to train at some Charizard sanctuary thing... and he recently came back (in the dub) to Ash's Black and White team. His comeback episode was pretty epic with a lot of reanimated scenes from the Kanto region.

SougoXIII

He never releases his Charizard, he just decide to let it train and become stronger in the Charizard Valley. It's actually back in the current anime season and still bossing as ever.

Pikachu, Charizard and Sceptile are top tier, since they have defeated legendaries.
Besides them, I also consider Snorlax, Heracross, Infernape and Krookodile among the top fighters.

Ash needs a psuedo legendary on his team, give the kid a fully evolved dragon dammit.

Galang

Banned
Ash and his pokemon were awesome in the Sinnoh saga. Overall it was the best league and it was the one league he should of won.

LaNaranja

He never releases his Charizard, he just decide to let it train and become stronger in the Charizard Valley. It's actually back in the current anime season and still bossing as ever.

He was allowed to train at some Charizard sanctuary thing... and he recently came back (in the dub) to Ash's Black and White team. His comeback episode was pretty epic with a lot of reanimated scenes from the Kanto region.

His charizard comes back as a main team membe in
the best wishes saga

Well then I think I may have to check out these new episodes.

Delio

Pikachu,Charizard,Snorlax,Sceptile.Infernape,Krookdile are his reliable pokemon that seem to be his power houses.

Heracross,Tauros,Swellow seem to be the reserves he grabs the most after those. Shame he didnt train Gible more. He literally had a dragon and didnt take him to the next region.

Ash needs a psuedo legendary on his team, give the kid a fully evolved dragon dammit.
To be fair he did catch a gible its just too bad he left t as a gible i really wish he evolved it it even knows draco meteor :/

Dang bested again
Also his staraptor is also another one of his power houses seriously though ash had some of the best pokemon in sinnoh in he new saga his pokemon are just more diverse

Astral

I sympathized with Ash for getting wrecked in the Sinnoh League. That wasn't even fair. However, all my sympathy got tossed out the window when he pulled out a fucking Gible. Really? I get it, Pikachu is your friend and all that. He's pretty strong. It's also pretty cool that you actually had an Infernape. That's at least some progress. You're evolving your Pokemon. But then you bring out a FUCKING GIBLE? He deserved to lose.

Did Misty ever come back? , what about Brock? Wasn't there a reference to a possible romance between Ash and Misty, did anything ever come of that?

The show never seem to go anywhere, a large part of the show seem to be filler, from what i hear it hasn't changed much over the years.

zeopower6

Did Misty ever come back? , what about Brock. Wasn't there a reference to a possible romance between Ash and Misty, did anything ever come of that?

The show never seem to go anywhere, a large part if the show seem to be filler.

That's because from Kanto to Sinnoh, it was basically all filler except for the gym battles/contest battle/league episodes. At least in Unova, there are plans being executed and the area being in danger of being destroyed by legendaries and all that.

Misty popped back in at some point in Hoenn where her Togepi evolved, but since then she's only been referenced a few times. She may come back as a cameo at some point but she won't be a main character again, it seems. (May and Dawn also popped in a season after they left the show) It's a shame really, I always liked Misty best of all his female companions. Brock is known for being one of the longest running main characters in the show after Ash and Pikachu (maybe Team Rocket too) but now that he's studying to become a Pokemon doctor, he's gone for the time being.

zeopower6

you mean to tell me that motherfucker STILL hasn't won a goddamn League? good lord.

Last time he came close, he had no chance against a Legendary hoarder who came out of nowhere. It was a lame move... essentially they had him go against someone who used PokeSAV.

Delio

I sympathized with Ash for getting wrecked in the Sinnoh League. That wasn't even fair. However, all my sympathy got tossed out the window when he pulled out a fucking Gible. Really? I get it, Pikachu is your friend and all that. He's pretty strong. It's also pretty cool that you actually had an Infernape. That's at least some progress. You're evolving your Pokemon. But then you bring out a FUCKING GIBLE? He deserved to lose.

tbh his Gible became fairly strong. Stood up to a fully evolved Empoleon. The problem was he took it to the battle with the Darkrai. He should have taken his best there.

RomanceDawn

I used to have real hopes for this show. When Charmander evolved in the states and the show was on hiatus for 1000 years I was so ready for Wartortle and Ivysaur after that long break. I eventually gave up on them ever evolving, though was pleasantly surprised when Cyndaquil did.

Then when Ash lost in the Hoenn league I realized the directors of the show would never allow the story to move on in such a natural direction. So now I only check Serebii to see who evolved, who came back and who he caught. Of course I check to see how the leagues go to but I only watch it if I happen to come across it while its on TV.

When I gave up on Pokemon I was lost. I had no story to truly look forward too except the Eragon series. Sonic kept me somewhat intrigued until Shadow the Hedgehog, Zelda never truly failed me since its a different era almost every time but it did anyway and Metroid failed me when I realized only Sakurai would acknowledge the Prime series.

One Piece is the ONLY thing anyone can believe in any more.

Valnen

That's because from Kanto to Sinnoh, it was basically all filler except for the gym battles/contest battle/league episodes. At least in Unova, there are plans being executed and the area being in danger of being destroyed by legendaries and all that.

Misty popped back in at some point in Hoenn where her Togepi evolved, but since then she's only been referenced a few times. She may come back as a cameo at some point but she won't be a main character again, it seems. (May and Dawn also popped in a season after they left the show) It's a shame really, I always liked Misty best of all his female companions. Brock is known for being one of the longest running main characters in the show after Ash and Pikachu (maybe Team Rocket too) but now that he's studying to become a Pokemon doctor, he's gone for the time being.
Sounds like they really fucked up the show.

Last time he came close, he had no chance against a Legendary hoarder who came out of nowhere. It was a lame move... essentially they had him go against someone who used PokeSAV.

so what you're telling me is that this kid has made essentially no progress since i stopped watching the show years and years ago.

zeopower6

Sounds like they really fucked up the show.

Eh, it's not that bad. It was probably at its worst with May and Max... ew.

so what you're telling me is that this kid has made essentially no progress since i stopped watching the show years and years ago.

Yeah, basically. I stopped watching too until the TV app came out and slowly caught up on BW/DP. DP is really bad. :( Sometimes the dubbing has Dawn saying something and pausing for 2 seconds before continuing because of the lip flaps of the Japanese original... so weird. At least DP had good theme songs after the horrible "Diamond and Pearl"... ugh.

Top Bottom