• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT| Ultra Beasts and where to find them

Jay RaR

To anyone who's running Type Null/Silvally

What nature and set you're running?

How good is he as a Mix attacker?

Build?

I've not battled competitively that much, but here are my builds for now.

Type Null @ Eviolite
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Brave/Adamant
-Return/Facade
-Iron Head
-Shadow Claw
-Swords Dance

I've used this set on the Battle Tree and it got me as far as 47 wins. Decently bulky and can hit hard pretty quick when set up.

Silvally @ Norm Z/Life Orb/Choice Specs
252 Sp Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
Rash/Modest/Naive
-Tri Attack
-Parting Shot/U-turn
-Ice Beam/Surf/Shadow Ball
-Flamethrower

Silvally I'm not too sure. I'm running a Special set and haven't dabbled as much on a Physical set.

Akai__

Holy shit I just came across a Random Encounter Shiny Fletchling, while trying to get a regular female Salandit. First RE since R/S/E, I think.

I want to share this luck, though. First person that quotes me and helps me trade evolve like 4 Pokemon, will get it.

Hackworth

Holy shit I just came across a Random Encounter Shiny Fletchling, while trying to get a regular female Salandit. First RE since R/S/E, I think.

I want to share this luck, though. First person that quotes me and helps me trade evolve like 4 Pokemon, will get it.
What pokemon are you evolving?

Akai__

Cool, I've got a Haunter I want to evolve for data, so I'll help.

Added you, but I don't know your ingame name. Mine is Akai, so feel free to start the trade process.

Seems lke there are connection issues? I accepted and then it said failed. Now I don't see you online anymore.

Not a fan of this evo.
250px-740Crabominable.png
Maaaaaaan. F*ck this thing.

Our first Fighting/Ice type and it had to be this... I mean why did it have to be dopey?

Hackworth

Added you, but I don't know your ingame name. Mine is Akai, so feel free to start the trade process.
name is Violet.
my router decided that immediately after I sent you a trade request was the perfect time to start shitting itself, and it doesn't look like it'll stop anytime this side of ever.

Like, I'm typing this in notepad to copy it to GAF because I've got like 2 seconds of connection every 80 seconds

EDIT: I think it's calming down?
Want to try again?

Akai__

name is Violet.
my router decided that immediately after I sent you a trade request was the perfect time to start shitting itself, and it doesn't look like it'll stop anytime this side of ever.

Like, I'm typing this in notepad to copy it to GAF because I've got like 2 seconds of connection every 80 seconds

EDIT: I think it's calming down?
Want to try again?

That sucks. But yeah, we can definitely try again. :D

.JayZii

Banned
Not a fan of this evo.
250px-740Crabominable.png
I agree. Too many segments in its arms makes it look awkward, it picks up a spare Dugtrio hairdo for some reason, and the knuckle design on its claws just looks like footprints or kitty cat paws. Crabrawler deserved better than this.

What time exactly does the Battle of Alola comp start in CST? Don't wanna miss it, but don't want to have to remove items from my VGC Team each time I try to enter.

Regiruler

Nah. If I were to be trollishly reductive like that I'd argue we need to lose the edgelord fodder

Who says I'm doing it solely to troll?
Maaaaaaan. F*ck this thing.

Our first Fighting/Ice type and it had to be this... I mean why did it have to be dopey?

At least Ice Hammer is OK I guess (and thank god fighting resists rock otherwise I would have an aneurysm)

Ice Shard when?
I like the Rotom Dex, especially when he dumps on some of the dumber plot points.

I do NOT like that there's no Rotoms in Alola, however.

If Rotom is in the pokedex
why isn't he in the pokedex?

Weiss

Banned
Is there any point to running Shadow Sneak on a Jolly Mimikyu?

It has Play Rough - Shadow Claw - Shadow Sneak - Swords Dance.

ciD_Vain

Multi-Battle is completely broken, right? My friends and I can't even do one battle without it bugging out and causing communication errors.

God damn, I'm going to need 3 different Ribombees.

1 for Speed Swapping in Doubles
1 for Baton Passing, and
1 for Quiver Dance Boosting

Can't seem to stick to one.

Interestingly it seems to be the toxapex doing that rather than the Mareanie mostly. Mareanie mostly just eat the coral that grows atop corsola but they can regrow that. I'm sure it's still a fairly unpleasant experience for the Corsola regardless though, but it's preferable to being killed :p

True, true. The fan-art just makes it so much worse, though.
At least they don't toxic stall Corsola to death.

Smasher89

Is there any point to running Shadow Sneak on a Jolly Mimikyu?

It has Play Rough - Shadow Claw - Shadow Sneak - Swords Dance.

I run the same moveset, with pain split instead of shadow claw and Z splash instead of swords dance, works decently in the VGC ruleset, even though there is some walls that only takes about 50% damage from the shadow sneak.

God damn, I'm going to need 3 different Ribombees.

1 for Speed Swapping in Doubles
1 for Baton Passing, and
1 for Quiver Dance Boosting

Can't seem to stick to one.

Why not run the Baton Passer and Quiver Dance together? That is what I am doing (I don't play Smogon). Ribombee feels kind of meh as a QD sweeper, since it take a beating from a lot of things.

Can anyone trade me a Shinx/Luxio? I missed the Island Scan yesterday because I was so busy, and now my QR schedule is all messed up.

Any Shinx or Luxio will do.

Hi Billy Mays here

Want easy Battle tree wins? A coo looking pokemon in a beastly ball? A revenge killer for most situations and a fantastic momentum switcher?

Look no further than SCIZOR.

scizor.jpg

Look at those paws, beautiful aren't they? And the lovely plumage scales thorax. Goes great with hair bands of choice. Can't get much better.

And you can have a PERFECT SCYTHER for the low low price of the following. A perfect scyther is a Technician, adamant, 5IV in everything but SpA

Here's what you can offer!

-Female Prankster Sableye
-Adamant Wimpod line
-Galvanize Geodude line
-Lightning Rod Adamant Cubone line
-Hidreigon line
-Honedge line
-HP fire Magnet pull magnemite, perferably timid but i can do without. (If timid with HP fire i'll EV train it and pass pokerus)

But that's not all! Trade 2 of these and i can offer Perfect Dewpiders too! Brave nature, 5IVs in everything but Speed or SpA! Trade 3 and a Timid perfect Ghastly maight be coming your way. Trade 4 and a Timid Perfect IV MAgnet Pull magnemite will already be on your doorstep (HP fire not included).

So what are you waiting for, press that send private message button and dial 4253-3499-9506 to get your scyther today (probably tomorrow)!

Are you still doing this?

spiritfox

I run the same moveset, with pain split instead of shadow claw and Z splash instead of swords dance, works decently in the VGC ruleset, even though there is some walls that only takes about 50% damage from the shadow sneak.

Z-Splash is worse off than Swords Dance. It's only an extra +1 but you lose an item slot and if you get switched out you cannot ever buff again.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Now that I have let the game sink in I feel comfortable in talking about how I felt about Pokémon Sun and Moon.

Things I liked.

+I love that the focus was on the gen 7 Pokémon, something that Kalos failed at.

+Alola just felt so engaging and was just brimming full of life and I really enjoyed exploring the Islands. But the biggest thing I love was the sense of scale like when I was climbing up Mount Hokulani it felt like that I was climbing up a mountain rather than being given the illusion of that, something that Kalos failed at which became more profound at the snowy route 17.

+ The NPC were just engaging and delight to be around, I was surprised that I ended up liking Hau and it was because the game actually challenged his happy-go lucky out look on life.

+ I really enjoyed Lille and Hau as my travelling companions, especially Lillie as she tried to become stronger in her own way.

+ Trial captains and Island Kahuna felt more memorable than Kalos gym leader as did the Elite 4.

+The Champion is miles better than Diantha.

+Team Skull was interesting and Guzma felt more fleshed out than Lysandre.

+ Professor Kukui was a joy to be around compare to Professor Sycamore.

+ The game felt challenging at times so it wasn't a straight up snooze fest like X and Y.

+ Z-move never felt broken and they were optional nor did they feel like the overall focus like Mega were in gen 6 and it was surprising when the AI would use them as you had no idea who has it and when they would use it.

+ The music was just amazing.

+Alola Elite 4 are miles better than Kalos Elite 4, heck they make them look like a joke especially considering that this is Alola first attempt.

+ Lusamine was exactly what I expected and Game Freak did not disappoint.
That woman is just twisted.

+ The box cover legendary actually played a big role in the story, the Alola lore and never felt like that they were shoe horned into the plot like Kalos cover legendary.

+While there was some gen 1 pandering it wasn't on the same annoying scale as X and Y and instead came off as little Easter egg. :D :D :D

Things that I didn't like or was neutral on.

-Honestly at first I didn’t care for the Island Trial as I grew frustrated over how the game would block you from catching Pokémon or running away from wild Pokémon so I felt like that I was wasting my time in fighting Pokémon that weren’t owned by trainers as there was no challenge in that. I also grew frustrated at the trial captains challenges as I didn’t find going on a fetch quest, watching Marrowak dance or having to take pictures of Pokémon. The worse one was Sophocles where I felt it was lazy and was impossible to fail, furthermore Totem Pokémon were still wild Pokémon and behaved as such and despite the artificial challenge they were still easy to take down as I quickly learned that it was better to focus on the Totem Pokémon as the helper Pokémon adds nothing to the battle.

However despite my dislike for the Island Trial they didn’t bring the game down for me as they were short and quick plus it worked for Alola as the region is very spiritual and shares a strong bond with Pokémon and its guardians but personally I rather have the return of gym battles than have Island Trial become a staple of the series.

-The game was a tad bit too liner with very little room to explore, it's virtually impossible to get lost and it shames me to see that Game Freak is still scared by the complaint from Sinnoh which worries me when it gets its remake treatment.

-At first I was mixed on the idea of Alola form as they didn’t feel like new Pokémon but they weren’t form changes either so the only way to view them was to catch one and use them on my team which I did with Alolan Ninetales.

Honestly I never felt like that I was using a new Pokémon as I kept seeing an ice variant of Ninetales and when I easily took out Hau’s Raichu I realised that Alolan Raichu is still the same old Raichu with terrible defence and as a result I didn’t count them as new Pokémon but at the same time I didn’t reject them like I did with Megas probably because they were never the focus and didn’t get in the way of the new Pokémon.

-I was again disappointed by the low count of new Pokémon, which gets even lower when you factor in the legendary Pokémon and that some Pokémon don’t evolve.

-Tapu Koko was the only one who appeared in the game despite the game talking up the other Tapu and how they play a big part in Alola lore.

-Gladion felt a little underdeveloped to me as I never got the sense that he was a Team Skull enforcer.

-Trainers in Alola never seem to carry more than 2 Pokémon making battle fly by so fast and making it harder to evenly train my team as there were also few trainers as well. Now I don't know if this is because Game Freak did this to make the game easier or is it because it's reflecting that Alola is more of a tourist spot and tough trainer never had any reason to travel to Alola due to Alola not really having a Pokémon league till recently.

-Mount Lanakila not having a grand victory road was a little deflating as the Rotom Dex said that "Mount Lanakila was an impregnable mountain" so that gave a sense that there would be a tough challenge ahead but alas that wasn't to be, I wonder if it is because Victory Road isn't completed.

-Zygarde was shoe horned into the game and I stopped collecting cells after reaching route 16 where I created and destroyed a 10% Zygarde, in future playthrough I will not be bothering with that as I feel that Zygarde does not belong in Alola.

-Island scan while a nice feature I was a little confuse to why these Pokémon where omitted from the Pokédex since they were found and caught in Alola.

-The lack of National Pokédex is disappointing as it means that the older Pokémon are just cut off.

-Pokéride at first seem like a good way to have HM puzzle without giving up your team or move slot and while I welcomed it I felt disconnected as they weren't my Pokémon and while I did use 3 reserve Pokémon they became forgotten as I didn't have to go back and rotate them into my team. Not really a big deal but it will mean that I will end up using less Pokémon.

-The game is still dumbed down as the Elite 4 member have Pokémon that have incomplete moveset.

-Festival Plaza is terrible if you want to hop onto trade as it grinds your adventure to a halt and you have to do a tutorial before you get the option to trade and battle.

Overall I was really nervous going into gen 7 as X and Y just crushed me with its disappointment and I just couldn't handle another one, now Sun and Moon are not perfect game but I had so much fun playing it and I just had a biggest grin when playing the game and the complaint had I with the game were just so minor that it didn't dampen my enjoyment of the game.

I loved Pokémon Sun and Moon and I rank it above X and Y, but gen 4 and 5 still remain my favorite generation but if "Pokémon Star" manages to fix the the complaint that I had and really impress me then it's possible that gen 7 can join the rank with Gen 4 and 5.

.JayZii

Banned
So the totem Kommo-o called in a scizor as a reinforcement when I fought it. Is there a way to get them in the wild, or was that just a sick joke?

Also, the Machamp pokeride is the best part of this game. Being carried around the world like some sort of hedonistic boy prince is hilarious.

Why not run the Baton Passer and Quiver Dance together? That is what I am doing (I don't play Smogon). Ribombee feels kind of meh as a QD sweeper, since it take a beating from a lot of things.

I don't play competitive either. I'm just trying to add to my collection of Pokemon for Battle Tree and for future single-player content. I just can't settle on one set I like better.

That's what one of my Ribombees will have (Quiver Dance + Baton Pass), but I also want a Ribombee with a 3rd attacking move, so it doesn't get walled easily by Fire and Poison types.

2 are for support, 1 is for sweeping or at least for fighting by itself.

Top Bottom