• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT2| Calling for help! · · · – – – · · ·

Regiruler

Man I just have lost all of my momentum. Not representing these mons well :/

Except for Magearna. Fairy/Ghost/Steel is a near broken spread and it's been doing wonders as a trick-room sweeper.

Issues with my current Dhelmise:
Phantom Force eats too much trick room time
Gyro Ball has been doing little because a lot of current pokemon are just downright slow. The ones I wanted to hit most with it go down to other things (tapu koko) or aren't even played (Pherosoma).

Golisopod:
This set needs a rework. I've never felt happy using leech life.
I think poison jab has been putting in more work than brick break would have though, so I'm satisfied on that end.
Sucker Punch hasn't really been doing as much as I want it to. I've found the only one it can really do damage on is Lunaala. Idea was to have it be used against Solgas as well, haven't encountered many.
First Impression hasn't been that great, but people don't react to a golis switch-in like I expect them to so maybe it's a thought problem.

Araquanid:
Water Bubble double damage putting in some god damn work with liquify. Great bulk and defensive typing, rock seems to be completely absent in this tourney.
Lunge is great for the grind game.
Soak is OK as a utility slot in the grind game to neuter their stab. Would probably be better if lunge was leech life instead.
I used mirror coat exactly once but it was hilarious. Use on anything that beats you in the special attack game.

Carbink:
Been incredibly reliable at setting up trick room. Outside of that...
Rock Tomb as a taunt answer has not seen any use at all whatsoever. I'd replace this with Light Screen.
Reflect has been fine, goes nicely whenever Xurk can get its calm minds.

Xurkitree:
Regardless of what I put below, I'm not giving up on this. That said:
-Grass Knot not doing as much as I wanted it to, format just isn't heavy enough. Would replace with energy ball.
-Special grinds are rare so the spDef boost from calm mind hasn't been that useful. Would probably swap out for its more exclusive tail glow (most would probably call me crazy for not using it in the first place)
-There's a primal temptation to swap to Thunder for raw power. It will miss sometimes, but the times it hits could bump my overall win rate. Probably not necessary with tail glow.
-Dazzling Gleam has been fine. With it in the mix there's nothing I can't hit for neutral.

Magearna:
Better survivability than I have expected, but then again it is my token legendary for the team. Is an absolute monster under trick room.

The Lamp

SOS is the call-for-help mechanic! The other things I was ranting out in my original post aren't very necessary to know, they're just methods that I've been using for catching specific pokemon.

By setting up chains of call-for-help, you can chain pokemon for higher IVs (only useful for competitive) and also hidden abilities, which are pretty neat sometimes. Entrainment allows you to switch abilities with your opponent/wild pokemon, so I was using it to see when I finally got a pokemon in the chain with a hidden ability.

Some of the replies to your post have emphasized competitive play. I'm not much of a competitive player, but the pokemon I was trying to get would have helped a lot for catching specific pokemon I was looking for in game. As other people have pointed out, it may be overwhelming information, I think that there's pretty much a counter-ability/move to fit any purpose, you just need to look for it on bulbapedia.

A lot of the people here have to go through some similar processes as what I listed (such as the Jangmo-o SOS'ing) in order to get some specific items that you need to evolve other pokemon, so it's become rather familiar at this point, I couldn't imagine not knowing anything, but it's not as complicated as it seems when you really delve into it. In order to get the item to evolve Sneasel into Weavile, you need to set up SOS/Call-for-help chains of Jangmo-o's line to have a 5% chance of stealing it from them. You can mitigate the 5% chance by having a pokemon with the ability compound eyes, and that brings the item appearance rate up to 20%, and steal the item by using theif (move that steals items that the pokemon is holding, only when the user doesn't have an item). You can see that there are specific pokemon that fit that niche, as Buttefree has both compoundeyes and access to thief.

There's a lot of stuff, yeah, sorry I didn't go into more detail earlier =)

Thank you for the explanation! That is really cool and interesting and definitely not explained in the game to people as far as I have gotten (third island).

Sciel

What is a good Shiny to breed next. Want something that looks cool (and is somewhat useful)

Any ideas guys :D ?

Articalys

Well, so far the online tournament is proving what I already knew:

I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

I mean I'm using a garbage team I kind of randomly threw together just to get the participation credit, but still. Battle Tree's going to eat me alive.

edit: haha oh wow I actually won a match somehow

opened with aerodactyl against jolteon
bulldoze took it to 40%ish, they used double team
next bulldoze connected and killed it
they brought in a shiny metagross (showoff), meteor mash OHKO
I bring in gyarados, they try zen headbutt and it misses, earthquake takes it to 20%ish
zen headbutt misses again, kill it with waterfall
they bring in mimikyu, swords dances then waterfall to knock off the disguise
play rough barely leaves me alive, waterfall to weaken it to 65%ish, kills me with shadow sneak
bring in kartana, shadow claw doesn't kill me, smart strike finished them off

so really I won by dumb luck, if my second bulldoze had missed or either zen headbutt had hit I was screwed

and now I'm never playing online again

until the next time I can get free stuff

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Dat feel when you just got to the second island and GAFs already on OT2

Shengar

Finally finished the game. Easily the second best generation after Gen III. It only lacked in Pokemon design, encounter, and world/dungeon design, but even then it's impressive for Generation VII to come that close to III with only its base game. Generation VII gives a lot of solid foundation for the next game to built upon and it takes only special talent to screw it up.

Dat feel when you just got to the second island and GAFs already on OT2

Pokemon XY reach OT 2 much faster than this, so no worries about it.

Found 99 zygarde cells on my own... then gave up and used a guide to find the last one.

The one I missed was one that was night only, and indoors. I had done a complete walkthrough of Alola in the daytime, but I really didn't feel like doing another whole walkthrough at night. Plus I was hoping that the day/night thing wouldn't affect cells indoors, but alas, it does.

Overall, I liked the zygarde sidequest. I like that it gets you to explore all of Alola in depth. It helps you catch details you would otherwise miss on a natural play through. However, I have two problems with the sidequest:

- The fact that some cells only appear in the day and some only appear at night. This is bad because finding them all requires two complete walkthroughs of Alola. One should be enough.

- The fact that if you miss one zygarde cell, there is no indication at all where it could be. I wish there were at least some small hint to tell you that you had found all the zygarde cells in a particular area, or even on a particular island. I would have been happy wandering around Melemele looking for the last cell. I'm not happy wandering around the entire Alola looking for the last cell.

I missed Dexio all this time in the postgame because I always flew to Fini's temple instead of the canyon entrance to head to the meadow. I feel like an IDIOT.

Wiseblade

My hasty battle of Alola team (So hasty I forgot to add a cover legend) won its first battle! No idea how my Pelipper was able to tank a Charge Beam from a Lunala though.

evanmisha

Finished my 15 matches today 8-7. Could've done better but I can't blame myself for a couple of those losses. One had 3 thunders hit against me consecutively, the first of which picked up the paralysis and got me fully paralyzed. Shit happens. Still got a positive record so I'm feeling pretty good

Damn no items and singles makes in Battle of Alola makes for a very unique experience. Its basically a more advance Splatfest. I hope for many more!

Only using my VGC so no advantage of Legendaries. I hope for future comps they give massive heads up incase I need to train new Pokemon. Also weird I could've sworn there was a 15 battle limit a day but I'm already over that.

Rafavert

Second round of ditto are going out 8pm EST. Same deal as last time, quote to see details.

I also have some (legit, untouched, hatched myself on a separate cart from my hackmon) 5-6IV Jolly Riolu w/ Bullet Punch in Love Balls if anybody wants one.

Thank you so much :D Now I'm on fire to start breeding new mons!

Currently chaining Pancham's to try and get one with Scrappy. I'm
almost
willing to bet money that I'll find a shiny one before I find one with Scrappy cause RNG always likes to screw with me.

I should also add that I've been at this for 35 minutes already and have encountered 58 Pancham and Pangoro's

Wiseblade

Diving into the abyss again, breeding for a HP Fire Magnezone. One box down and nothing to show for it, seems I'll be staring into the abyss for a while this time.

EDIT: Complaining works, I just got one! The IVs are trash, but that's what Bottlecaps are for.

So I did get my Scappy Pancham (eventually) but now I have another problem, it won't evolve. It is level 38 and I taught it a Dark type move a while ago, and it will not evolve. What am I doing wrong?

Regiruler

So I did get my Scappy Pancham (eventually) but now I have another problem, it won't evolve. It is level 38 and I taught it a Dark type move a while ago, and it will not evolve. What am I doing wrong?
It's not dark type move. It's dark type pokemon in your party. Bad influence evolution.

Wiseblade

Looking at the achievements on the Trainer Passport is a little disappointing. No recognition for winning a Battle Royal at the highest difficulty, but one for fully upgrading the Poké-finder?

Looking at the achievements on the Trainer Passport is a little disappointing. No recognition for winning a Battle Royal at the highest difficulty, but one for fully upgrading the Poké-finder?
The pokefinder one is absolutely absurd

who has time for that tedium

Get 30 wins in the battle tree

Bubbling fising spots sometimes give them to you when you fish

Also the Treasure Hunt lotteries in Festival Plaza.

Oh yeah. And Isle Aphun in Poke Pelago can get you a gold one

Note, if you can find and VIP someone with a Treasure Hunt **, you can rebuy it over and over and the first time you play you'll get a normal bottle cap. Does cost FC though, obviously.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Is there a optimal build for the Festival Plaza?

Regiruler

The pokefinder one is absolutely absurd

who has time for that tedium
I'm about halfway there. Just stop by the spot whenever your breeding and you can get 30k within two minutes. Quicker if your lucky enough to get Eevee (seriously why do different pokemon give more points).

It's all about pacing yourself.

Whoo, got my first shiny Ditto while chaining. It was on my game without the shiny charm as well.

BTW, any vague tips for (in-game) Battle Royal? I've been way too lazy to try it. Are the opponents challenging at all?

Regiruler

Man, I got a sacred ash from my haunted house (after fortune telling) and I don't even know what to DO with it.

The king of all horded items. I haven't had one of these things since Heartgold.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Is there a optimal build for the Festival Plaza?

Depends on what you want to get out of it.

If you just wanna keep things simple, get three 5* Rare Kitchens (very commonly shared among guests and is a fantastic long-term investment) and three 5* Fortune Tellers (Sophocles tends to hand these out like candy; I got three of these before even first attempting the save-reload exploit at level 49). You can then use the 2* Treasure Hunt exploit on your remaining empty space.

If you wanna spend more time on it, then shoot for the 5* Treasure Hunts, which seem to be exceedingly rare. If you like cosmetic things, a 5* dye shop is a necessity.

Yagami_Sama

Is there an easy way to find Castform at Lush Jungle ?

I managed to find Goomy, after a Pokemon change the weather, but any pokemon is calling Castform.

Any advise ?

Red

I managed to find Goomy, after a Pokemon change the weather, but any pokemon is calling Castform.

Any advise ?
Which pokémon changes weather in lush jungle? I assumed I'd have to do it myself.

Any advise ?
If you haven't made it to Tapu Village yet, that's the easiest place to catch Castform IMO. When you first arrive, it'll be raining due to story reasons, and it won't stop until you complete the next trial. There's a patch of tall grass in the village, and certain Pokémon there are a lot easier to chain. (Snorunt specifically.)

Top Bottom