• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT2| Calling for help! · · · – – – · · ·

Luke_Wal

My copy of Moon has, twice now, once while in sleep mode and once while I was actively playing, said "the game card has been removed," and booted me back to the home menu and deleted my progress since the last save (about 30 minutes, so a big pain). Is this a known issue with the game, or is this a faulty cartridge?

Regiruler

If you're talking about how she looks like a UB, the consensus is that
after Lusamine discovered the UBs she altered her child's clothes and apearence after them. That's why halfway through the game, when Lillie breaks free, she changes her style.
That doesn't explain jackshit because it was stated to move like a young girl, and it is described as amorphous.
My copy of Moon has, twice now, once while in sleep mode and once while I was actively playing, said "the game card has been removed," and booted me back to the home menu and deleted my progress since the last save (about 30 minutes, so a big pain). Is this a known issue with the game, or is this a faulty cartridge?
Sounds more like a hardware issue to me.

...And the answer is yes! Here's the breakdown on my match vs. Red:

-My Mega Lucario and his Mega Charizard X died at the same time. I Close-Combated him, he Flare Blitzed me. Ironically, the mega evolution allowed me to do more damage since it lost its Flying type lol.
-My Ninetales came into the field along with his Lapras. I immediately set up an Aurora Veil, and all he could do was Hydro Pump me for small damage as I Moonblasted him (which lowered his Sp. Atk twice lol).
-I got him down to the single digits, so I decided to Freeze-Dry just because... and he switched into Venusaur. gg Red.

I was so scared about Charizard, because my team has no good answer to Fire types other than to tank out a hit or outspeed them (which makes Talonflame a bane to me). I was so glad I got the one Charizard loadout that would allow me to deal with him turn 1.

Basically all the RNG worked toward my favor, which is the complete opposite of how it usually is lol. I also got lucky with not encountering a Mega Metagross up until that point, because that is an instant run-killer.

Are Doubles and Multi-Battle (if you have a good partner) more consistent? I think I can better handle my bad match-ups there, but I'm not sure.

Arynio

...And the answer is yes!

(...)

Are Doubles and Multi-Battle (if you have a good partner) more consistent? I think I can better handle my bad match-ups there, but I'm not sure.

Congrats!! I found doubles to be much, MUCH more difficult than singles or anything from gen VI, tbh.

By the way, I lol'd at the Mega-Metagross insta-kill. I cleared 90 victories in Singles but opponent 91 insta-walled and insta-humiliated me 3-0 with Mega-Metagross.

JoeM86

Nintendo Hong Kong has put out some details about the upcoming Pokémon Bank update, specifically in regards to the Generation 1 transfer. First, Pokémon will likely have 3 max IVs. Their nature will be random and there is a chance that the Pokémon will have their Hidden Ability. It will also have a unique GameBoy mark
The National Pokédex will sync up with the games you use with Pokémon Bank, listing the Pokémon you have seen/caught in each game and combining them. It will list the games that you have each Pokémon in. You don't need the Pokémon to be deposited into your Bank in order to register them in the National Pokédex. Finally, it confirms that you can send Battle Points again.

bankup1.jpg

Aleh

I haven't played Moon since I completed the Pokédex, just waiting for Bank to get the update so I can finally start breeding some of my favorite Pokémon from past gens like Empoleon.

LordRaptor

First, Pokémon will likely have 3 max IVs. Their nature will be random and there is a chance that the Pokémon will have their Hidden Ability.

That's.... actually pretty cool, and almost an incentive to pick the old games up outside of nostalgia

I haven't played Moon since I completed the Pokédex, just waiting for Bank to get the update so I can finally start breeding some of my favorite Pokémon from past gens like Empoleon.

Isn't Empoleon already in SM? I think you can get it through the scanner.

I don't think Infernape would be that good on the Battle tree, he's fast but he lacks power big time. I guess Life Orb would be the preferred build,but he would work better as a late clean up rather than a wallbreaker.

Maybe Mega Lucario/Metagross for initial hole punching, a Lele/Gengar/Starmie/Koko For speedy special pwoer and then finish with a LO infernape?

I've had some fun with Fake Out/Overheat/Close Combat/Endeavour Infernape holding a Focus Sash, backed by a moxie user or Fell Stinger Mega Beedrill in previous games.

I've been using Fist Plate Krookodile / LO Starmie / Mega Metagross because it's really all I presently have. I've just bred a Garchomp and a Togekiss because those two + Mega Metagross have a huge spread of complimentary resistances.

I want to use Infernape because, honestly, I just like Infernape. I like to use at least one Pokemon I really like if I'm going to be forced to grind hundreds of Battle Points. The problem with my current spread, which is purely circumstantial, is a major weakness to Bug.

I used to run Infernape with a LO Nidoking in the XY Battle Tree. LO Nidoking is a great Special wallbreaker. It never survives a fight, but it always weakened whatever was out with its amazing super-effective coverage. Then I could usually clean up with Infernape. I don't even remember what I ran for a third slot. It might have been Mega Lucario as an "oh no I'm going to lose" option.

Nintendo Hong Kong has put out some details about the upcoming Pokémon Bank update, specifically in regards to the Generation 1 transfer. First, Pokémon will likely have 3 max IVs. Their nature will be random and there is a chance that the Pokémon will have their Hidden Ability. It will also have a unique GameBoy mark
The National Pokédex will sync up with the games you use with Pokémon Bank, listing the Pokémon you have seen/caught in each game and combining them. It will list the games that you have each Pokémon in. You don't need the Pokémon to be deposited into your Bank in order to register them in the National Pokédex. Finally, it confirms that you can send Battle Points again.

bankup1.jpg

This is really good except for the random nature part, which is hard to remedy any other way. It would be such a pain to play through all of R/B/Y for a Mewtwo just to get an Adamant nature, you know? At least it will help with the PokeDex. But the 3 IVs for breedable Pokemon is awesome.

Forkball

I like the Game Boy symbol. That reminds me, I have to wrestle with the Gen I boxes so I can move my game team into them in prep for the bank transfer. I like the Pokemon Bank having a National Dex feature, but I still wish they would also include it in the games.

This is really good except for the random nature part, which is hard to remedy any other way. It would be such a pain to play through all of R/B/Y for a Mewtwo just to get an Adamant nature, you know? At least it will help with the PokeDex. But the 3 IVs for breedable Pokemon is awesome.

On the flip side there's a fair amount of glitches that let you farm pokemon.

Completely unrelated, but would anyone be interested in some Mewtwo with Bubblebeam/Pay Day/Metronome/Self destruct? Because I have a bunch of those lined up for when bank updates.

On the flip side there's a fair amount of glitches that let you farm pokemon.

Completely unrelated, but would anyone be interested in some Mewtwo with Bubblebeam/Pay Day/Metronome/Self destruct? Because I have a bunch of those lined up for when bank updates.

Are these the classic box-change cloning glitches or is there something else I should know?

EDIT: Oh, the Mew Glitch. I forgot about that.

Also, I have just heard the trade restrictions have been lifted in Sun/Moon. Meaning, if you acquired some through unsavory means, you can now trade Pokemon that are not obtainable in Alola. This means the Bank update has to be imminent.

Joe was betting on Wednesday. Sounds pretty likely now.

Not a fan of Mega Mewtwo X?

Mewtwo's a very versatile Pokemon.

WPS

I've got my first 7th gen shiny!

It's a purple Grimer.

31/x/31/31/31/31
Adamant/Gluttony
Shadow Sneak, Curse, Spite, Mean Look
Friend Ball

Ironically, this was the last one bred before I switched its mother out to use the masuda method instead.

I wonder if there has been a fanbase for a game with so much disdain for its own mascot as pokemon? (at least the vocal ones on forums/reddit)

Seems like with the latest news on Pokémon Bank there are mons not on the national dex that are popping up for trade on the GTS. I managed to get a Charmander but I dunno what it means for bank itself or if people are just genning the parents and then putting up the offspring online.

Demoli

Went 5-5 on my first 10 battles of vgc, my team needs some heavy tinkering.

My team is as this

I feel like I'm really weak to EQ spammer, and i honestly don't think Lele is doing anything in here. Was thinking of replacing Arcanine with Gyarados, but that dog has been serving me well.

So far it feels like Muk and Marowak are my standouts, sometimes chomp for a late game sweep. Any suggestions for improvement?

WPS

Hot dang! Two shinies in one day! I got a golden Torkoal!

It didn't pick up Drought or the 0 speed IV but I can at least fix one of those.

bankup1.jpg

Awesome I'm really hoping I can get my Mew off of Red version. If not it'll still be nice to have all those other pokes moved over. I might replay after transfer just for another set of the legendaries but at this point I have plenty of Gen one stuff from so many old games.

A friend of mine mentioned how Machamp can learn fissure in the old games and with its no guard ability that would make it one hit without missing. Is there going to be anything that prevents people from running that strategy?

WPS

A friend of mine mentioned how Machamp can learn fissure in the old games and with its no guard ability that would make it one hit without missing. Is there going to be anything that prevents people from running that strategy?

Flying types, Sturdy and/or bans.

I don't think it will be impossible to counter, but there isn't too much that will like dealing with Stone Edge, Dynamic Punch and Fissure.

Randdalf

Been playing through Sun since Christmas, without Exp Share (turned it on jlnow though for E4 grinding). I also avoided spoilers for new Pokémon outside those announced in trailers.

Some general impressions
- Totem Pokémon as bosses is so much better than gym leaders and some were a genuine challenge
- Calling for help is a cool feature that is frequently annoying
- I kind of like ride Pokémon, no more slaves yay
- I kind of don't like ride Pokémon, HMs felt more personal; who is this random Tauros following me about?
- Oh god why are all my Pokémon so slow
- Why hasn't my level 45 Salandit evolved yet...
- Alolan Muk is awesome
- I did NOT expect Crabrawler to evolve into that
- Oh GOD why does Vikavolt have 43 speed
- These games have always been linear but this game is way too linear
- Seeing trainers in 3D is a step up from X/Y
- Where is victory road...? Poni Canyon?
- New Pokédex with evolution chain shown is awesome

Flying types, Sturdy and/or bans.

I don't think it will be impossible to counter, but there isn't too much that will like dealing with Stone Edge, Dynamic Punch and Fissure.

Yeah that's gonna suck. I rarely run flying types and it's gonna be such a priority to KO Machamp your opponent will have time to set up the other Poke in doubles so easily.

Been playing through Sun since Christmas, without Exp Share (turned it on jlnow though for E4 grinding). I also avoided spoilers for new Pokémon outside those announced in trailers
Hey, I've been playing since Christmas too. I avoided all pre-release content as well and just recently finished. I also ran with experience share off most of the time. But I also rotated through teams too so I got a chance to try a lot of these Pokemon since I skipped everything after gen 3.
But I did beat the elite 4 after 3 tries. I had everyone at level 55, and didn't need any grinding by then.

Bank patch was uploaded to the Content Delivery Network about a half hour ago. We could be seeing a release very shortly.
Edit 1: Transporter Update is on the eShop. Maintenance is still going on so it doesn't matter, but it's up.
C2-m1JTXgAAoMqv.jpg

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Yep, just downloaded the Bank update. The server's under maintenance, so I can't use it yet, but it's up.

EDIT: Downloaded Poke Transporter update as well.

Aleh

I'm gonna breed 6 eggs of my favorites and finally replay Moon with them without losing my living dex. It's going to feel refreshing using only unavailable Pokémon

Top Bottom