• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT2| Calling for help! · · · – – – · · ·

WPS

Why is Set Mode recommended? I hate being at a disadvantage if I can avoid it.

The thing is, in Pokémon you're already at an advantage anyway. Opponents are in set mode, rarely switch, and almost never have as many Pokémon as you. Switch mode is trivialised by a set of glass cannons because of the free switch, where as set mode actually needs you to consider what Pokémon can take a hit switching in, or how to maximise coverage on each individual.

Koren

Well, in an easy game, additional constraints makes things interesting...

That's the reason Nuzlocke is so popular.

For all the fact that I'm not that fond of Sun/Moon main game, doing a monotype run felt great (well, it was still too easy because of Mimikyu, but at the same time, it could have been grindfest without it)

Demoli

Not to mention Set mode is the actual pokemon metagame. Online you don't have switch mode, the game is played on Set and is balanced around it.

I found the difficulty just right with that on, but experience share off.

And, I just now beat the game! 126 hours. 177 Pokedex. This game sure had its fair share of surprises, especially coming from Gen 3.

WPS

For all the Pokémon go jokes about the professor pulping Mons into candy, I feel really bad about basically doing the same with zygarde. I'm trawling the gts for unwanted zygarde to grind into cells so I can turn my 6th gen event zygarde into a perfect one.

So im still just slowly going through Sun right now. But i have to say, i absolutely hate the calling for help mechanic.

If I am in the pokemon world, and i get ambushed by 2 pokemon, i wouldnt just sit there and fight a wild pokemon at a disadvantage.. id bust out another pokeball and fight the wild poke 2v2. But for some reason, you cant do that. Is there some sort of trainer code of ethics that says you cant fight with more than 1 unless its a trainer battle?

Also, The fact that its such a random mechanic and you cant catch a pokemon unless their helper is dead is also ridiculous. What is stopping the pokemon from being caught? Is the other pokemon opening the pokeball and ripping him from my clutches?

It doesnt make sense on any level.

Also the fact that pokemon still cant learn more than 4 moves is really lame. Its 2017. I think we can handle having more options.

Other than that, its a good game and i like the changes that have been made.

4 moves in a battle is fine imo, but they absolutely should do away with "forgetting" moves and instead just allow you access to a Pokemon's entire learnset (instead of making it an endgame move relearner thing). When they learn a new move, it's added to a movepool you can view in a Pokemon's summary, and from there, you "equip" the four moves you want to use in a battle.

The movepool can be expanded via TMs and egg and tutor moves, and the move relearner would solely be used for adding level 1 moves and level 80+ moves to the pool, to balance things for in-game purposes.

Anteo

I dont see how experience sharing off changes the difficulty that much, outside of accidentanly overleveling your mons. It just makes the game more tedious

Missing two game-winning Ice Beams in a row on a Sand Veiled Palossand is the the absolute worst. =/

I did manage to land one... which then activated its Weakness Policy. Great.

Koren

I dont see how experience sharing off changes the difficulty that much
It doesn't, as long as you switch (use the weakest pokemon as lead, for example). Well, you use a bit more potions, or go back to pokécenters more often.

I agree, as long as you know the XP mechanics, it's more tedious with exp share off, but definitively not harder.

(I still play with exp share off on my first playthrough at least, because this way, there's an incentive to see more than the pokémon that can beat 80-90% of the opposition single-handed)

Well, that's what I said: totally meaningless. Having a set of dittos with everstone and using RNG to see if you pass down ability isn't my idea of an interesting mechanic. You could maybe have said chain breeding for moves, but that would still be limited.

Well, I find battle boring, I just want to breed ;) To each its own... I don't think the game is just an interface to battling. Some people want a Showdown-like game, which is fine by me, but I disagree on the idea that the developpers should embrace this idea.

I mean, the fact that you can only catch a single time legendaries (and those are found in pretty much all competitive teams if you're not setting additional rules) is probably even worse than some time wasted in breeding...

Everyone has their own favorite thing about Pokémon. But it is a bit different to have breeding for perfect IVs be your favorite when you find battling boring. It's like building the best PC imaginable but you don't even turn it on. But hey, I admit I find enjoyment in breeding too. It's very fulfilling to finally breed the perfect baby. My only issue is that once you've bred a few Pokémon it becomes stale. It's just a grind. And I use 6IV ditto! It would be better if breeding started out difficult and got progressively more efficient and easier as you bred more Pokémon. In a way it does already, but not to the extent it needs to.

Izayoi

Banned
Wow, that's some grade "A" bullshit right there. That's the kind of stuff that makes you not want to play the game, especially since you were almost there.

What was your team?
Porygon-Z @ NormZ
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Metagross @ Metagrossite

I tried swapping out Dragonite with Toxapex @ Toxic Sludge but didn't have much luck. I'm ready to just call it quits at this point. :lol

Demoli

Porygon-Z @ NormZ
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Metagross @ Metagrossite

I tried swapping out Dragonite with Toxapex @ Toxic Sludge but didn't have much luck. I'm ready to just call it quits at this point. :lol

This is mine but with metagross lead and LO Lele instead of P-Z

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Porygon-Z @ NormZ
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Metagross @ Metagrossite

This was my same exact team for Battle Tree. Got to the 70s. Got lucky on my way up a few times, but totally doable. You don't really have to switch into stuff with this team unless you predict an EQ. Just setup and murder your way down the rotation. Make sure to lead w/ Porygon-Z.

Red

Got a jolly Marowak with perfect IVs. I'm kind of torn on using it as I was holding out for adamant. I don't know. It doesn't seem very useful to have extra speed on this.

Demoli

Got a jolly Marowak with perfect IVs. I'm kind of torn on using it as I was holding out for adamant. I don't know. It doesn't seem very useful to have extra speed on this.

Marowak is absolutely Admant or Brave if Trick Rooming. Everything else is a huge drawback to you and any strategy you might want to run.

Marowak hits hard thanks to Thick Club, which doubles his att stat. Because of that, + Natures are even more important, and can free up some evs to put in bulk instead.

Red

Marowak is absolutely Admant or Brave if Trick Rooming. Everything else is a huge drawback to you and any strategy you might want to run.

Marowak hits hard thanks to Thick Club, which doubles his att stat. Because of that, + Natures are even more important, and can free up some evs to put in bulk instead.
Yeah that's the feeling I have. I planned on just making him hit as hard as possible. That's too bad.

Crayolan

Switch mode is inherently an advantage over your opponents since they can't do the same. Set mode just levels the playing field.

I dont see how experience sharing off changes the difficulty that much, outside of accidentanly overleveling your mons. It just makes the game more tedious

If you keep the exp share off for the entire game and never grind, you will become more and more underleveled over time. There's some variation depending on what pokemon you use, whether you bother to fight wild pokemon you run into, etc, but by the time you reach the E4 without the exp share you will be in the high 40s/low 50s, with the exp share you will be in the high 50s/low 60s. Those 10-ish levels can make a big difference in how you have to approach battles.

Izayoi

Banned
This is mine but with metagross lead and LO Lele instead of P-Z
LO? I'm blanking.

Movesets?

This was my same exact team for Battle Tree. Got to the 70s. Got lucky on my way up a few times, but totally doable. You don't really have to switch into stuff with this team unless you predict an EQ. Just setup and murder your way down the rotation. Make sure to lead w/ Porygon-Z.
What movesets do you use for Dragonite and Metagross?

Izayoi

Banned
How does using a berry in the Battle Tree work? Does it not actually consume the berry? You're able to use it battle after battle?
It's per-battle.

Dragonite gets Paralyzed, Dragonite eats Lum Berry.
Cannot use Lum Berry rest of battle.

Lum Berry is returned after the battle finishes.

edit: doh

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Managed to get a 59-win streak on Battle Tree Super Doubles with this team:

Porygon2@Eviolite
Ability: Download
Sassy (+SpD -Spe)
156 SpA, 100 SpD, 252 HP
-Discharge
-Ice Beam
-Trick Room
-Recover

Mudsdale@Sitrus Berry
Ability: Stamina
Brave (+Atk -Spe)
252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 SpD
-High Horsepower
-Rock Slide
-Close Combat
-Protect

Alolan Marowak@Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Brave (+Atk -Spe)
252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 SpD
-Flare Blitz
-Iron Head
-Shadow Bone
-Protect

Slowbro@Slowbronite
Ability: Oblivious
Quiet (+SpA -Spe)
252 SpA, 252 HP, 4 SpD
-Scald
-Psyshock
-Trick Room
-Protect

All of them have a 0 IV in Speed. Ended up losing to Cynthia on round 60.

My team is not great at dealing with bulky Water-types, and I probably should've invested more in Slowbro's bulk and less in its offense, but I just don't feel like breeding anything else with Bank supposedly just around the corner...

Koren

If you keep the exp share off for the entire game and never grind, you will become more and more underleveled over time. There's some variation depending on what pokemon you use, whether you bother to fight wild pokemon you run into, etc, but by the time you reach the E4 without the exp share you will be in the high 40s/low 50s, with the exp share you will be in the high 50s/low 60s. Those 10-ish levels can make a big difference in how you have to approach battles.
That's not totally true... unless I'm mistaken, each battle doesn't give you a fixed amount of experience that is shared among pokémons. Each pokémon get the full amount of XP. The difference is that with exp share on, each pokémon get half the XP even if it wasn't out in the battle.

Should you switch pokémon often, you won't see such a difference (put the weakest one as lead with a soothing bell, switch it out at the beginning of each battle, he'll get 3x the XP he would get with exp share, use affection and it's even higher, and if you can afford delaying the evolution, IIRC, it boosts it too). Also, if a pokémon is underleveled, he gets more XP, so that speed up the process.

casiopao

Reach wave 41 on Super Single lol. Die thanks to team all get killed by Super fast poke.T_T

My team is

Bruxish@Choice Scarf

Bewear@Assault Vest

A-Raichu@Alolaraichum

Man, and now i can't even past wave 20 again lol.T_T

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Reach wave 41 on Super Single lol. Die thanks to team all get killed by Super fast poke.T_T

My team is

Bruxish@Choice Scarf

Bewear@Assault Vest

A-Raichu@Alolaraichum

Why are you using those Pokemon...

My next team will be:

Garchomp
Metagross
Primarina

I'm not sure yet about Primarina but I'll try. Which one should I buy the Mega stone for, Garchomp or Metagross?

So far I haven't gotten far in the tree but so far my teams sucked. Only beast I had so far was Garchomp, he's so strong ^_^

Frost_Ace

My next team will be:

Garchomp
Metagross
Primarina

I'm not sure yet about Primarina but I'll try. Which one should I buy the Mega stone for, Garchomp or Metagross?

So far I haven't gotten far in the tree but so far my teams sucked. Only beast I had so far was Garchomp, he's so strong ^_^

Mega Metagross is far better than Mega Garchomp

Demoli

My team is

Bruxish@Choice Scarf

Bewear@Assault Vest

A-Raichu@Alolaraichum

That you got so far with what are, essentially, trash mons, is a miracle.

Mega Metagross is far better than Mega Garchomp

Mega chomp is way better than mega meta in doubles, especially in sand teams.

Singles its mega meta 100%, even more considering the 3v3 nature of the tree.

So what's going on with Pokemon Bank? I've been out of the loop and waiting for support. I want to bring over all my guys from Red/Blue and X/Y.

Finally beat the main story last night. I guess I should have expected to fight the Professor, but I didn't even think of it. Somehow my level 57 Solgaleo powered through all his Pokemon.

Ultra Beast time.

Funny thing is I beat the main story a long time ago but I haven't even started catching the legendarys yet. Nor did I meat LeBelle so far. It's all about that meta game baby.

Marz

I have about 30 5 IV Slowbro breedjects if anybody wants any?

All with Bold nature and Regenerator. No egg moves. Willing to accept anything, high IVs appreciated.

casiopao

That you got so far with what are, essentially, trash mons, is a miracle.

Mega chomp is way better than mega meta in doubles, especially in sand teams.

Singles its mega meta 100%, even more considering the 3v3 nature of the tree.

Haha. I don't like using Pokemon that everyone uses lol.^^ Using mindgame to survive is the best part here.^^

Red

I'm looking for a Modest and a Timid Synchronize Abra. I have doubles and triples of most other personalities but missing these two. Anyone looking to trade next few minutes?

Haha. I don't like using Pokemon that everyone uses lol.^^ Using mindgame to survive is the best part here.^^
I actually like your team! It's different and unique from usual Battle Tree teams I see. I too run an Assault Vest Bewear from time to time, and that thing is crazy.

So was there something more to Lillie than
just being the daughter of Lusamine
? I feel like the game hinted that there was but I probably snoozed on it.

So was there something more to Lillie than
just being the daughter of Lusamine
? I feel like the game hinted that there was but I probably snoozed on it.

If you're talking about how she looks like a UB, the consensus is that
after Lusamine discovered the UBs she altered her child's clothes and apearence after them. That's why halfway through the game, when Lillie breaks free, she changes her style.

Demoli

I don't think Infernape would be that good on the Battle tree, he's fast but he lacks power big time. I guess Life Orb would be the preferred build,but he would work better as a late clean up rather than a wallbreaker.

Maybe Mega Lucario/Metagross for initial hole punching, a Lele/Gengar/Starmie/Koko For speedy special pwoer and then finish with a LO infernape?

I've had some fun with Fake Out/Overheat/Close Combat/Endeavour Infernape holding a Focus Sash, backed by a moxie user or Fell Stinger Mega Beedrill in previous games.

It just occurred to me that Hyper Beam is a far better option than Tri-Attack for 3v3 battles when running a Porygon-Z with Normalium-Z, especially if it operates as a late-game sweeper.

Top Bottom