• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game (GBC) coming to the Nintendo 3DS eShop

Saiyan-Rox

I haven't played this since I was a kid it's strange Ninty haven't made another at this point but i'll jump in and buy!

my 3DS has become all digital somehow anyway over the course of the year just sucks that my Wii U and 3DS have 2 different accounts on them :(

RedShift

Neeeeeat. I never owned it but I spent an afternoon playing a friend's copy over ten years ago and loved it.

Can't remember anything about how you play the card game but I remember it being great fun.

SeanR1221

It's only controversial when people look for something that's clearly isn't there, Jynx wasn't racist and Uri Geller was just getting the wrong end of the stick.

Okay if Nintendo did what you're asking them to do and release the gen 1 and gen 2 games without the mutiplayer aspect here what we would be missing.

Gen 1.

Pokémon that are exclusive to Red

Ekans
Arbok
Oddish
Gloom
Vileplume
Mankey
Primeape
Growlithe
Arcanine
Scyther
Electabuzz

Pokémon that are exclusive to Blue

Sandshrew
Sandslash
Vulpix
Ninetales
Meowth
Persian
Bellsprout
Weepinbell
Victreebel
Magmar
Pinsir

Pokémon that can't be caught in Yellow

Weedle
Kakuna
Beedrill
Ekans
Arbok
Raichu*
Meowth
Persian
Koffing
Weezing
Jynx
Electabuzz
Magmar

*Requires being traded to evolve.

Pokémon that you can only get once with the other being required to trade.

Bulbasaur*
Ivysaur*
Venusaur*
Charmander*
Charmeleon*
Charizard*
Squirtle*
Wartortle*
Blastoise*
Hitmonlee
Hitmonchan
Lapras
Eevee
Jolteon
Vaporeon
Flareon
Omanyte
Omastar
Kabuto
Kabutops
Aerodactyl
Mew**

*Does not apply to Yellow version
**Can not be obtain in the game period, without resorting to cheating.

Pokémon that require trading in order to evolve

Pikachu --> Raichu*
Machoke -->Machamp
Haunter --> Gengar
Kadabra --> Alakazam
Graveler --> Golem

*Yellow only

Gen 2

Pokémon that are exclusive to Gold

Mankey
Primeape
Growlithe
Arcanine
Spinarak
Ariados
Gligar
Teddiursa
Ursaring
Mantine
Ho-Oh with the move Sacred Fire

Pokémon that are exclusive to Silver

Vulpix
Ninetales
Meowth
Persian
Ledyba
Ledian
Delibird
Skarmory
Phanpy
Donphan
Lugia with the move Aeroblast

Pokémon that can't be caught in Crystal.

Vulpix
Ninetales
Mankey
Primeape
Mareep
Flaaffy
Ampharos
Girafarig
Remoraid
Octillery

Pokémon that you can only get once with the other being required to trade.

Chikorita
Bayleef
Meganium
Cyndaquil
Quilava
Typhlosion
Totodile
Croconaw
Feraligatr

Pokémon that can't be caught in Gen 2

Bulbasaur
Ivysaur
Venusaur
Charmander
Charmeleon
Charizard
Squirtle
Wartortle
Blastoise
Omanyte
Omastar
Kabuto
Kabutops
Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres
Mewtwo
Mew*
Celebi*

*Can not be obtain in the game at all.

Pokémon that require trading in order to evolve

Machoke -->Machamp
Haunter --> Gengar
Kadabra --> Alakazam
Graveler --> Golem
Seadra --> Kingdra
Scyther --> Scizor
Onix --> Steelix
Poliwhirl --> Politoed

So not only would people be unable to complete their Pokédex but a huge bulk of the Pokémon would be missing in the game, furthermore those Pokémon that are in the game would be unable to be transferred over to gen 6 and are stuck in those game.

If people want to explore Kanto and Jotho the Jotho remake fits that role.

Not going to happen.

You know, I don't throw stats out all willy nilly, but I'd bet money on only 1% of the popular caring about what you just posted above.

A port of those games to the VC would be great.

MBR

Banned
First time I saw anything from this was this years SGDQ, and thought God DAMN dat music.

#DayOne

udivision

You know, I don't throw stats out all willy nilly, but I'd bet money on only 1% of the popular caring about what you just posted above.

Yeah. If all those things really mattered, then Nintendo could just reduce the price of the ports. The hole whole 2 version thing is a money-grubbing practice anyway, if looked at cynically.

Karkador

Banned
As someone who loves playing trading card games but hates spending stupid amounts of cash on them, I wish more "everything in one package" TCG games like this existed, where you can collect whole series of cards and build custom decks. Or maybe they do and I just don't pay attention.

Nowadays there are several very good (physical) card games you can buy in one package like this - and they all play very differently, and suit different audiences/difficulty levels. Card games have really moved forward beyond CCG stuff like Magic, Pokemon, and YuGiOh (but those are still around, too).

If you guys like Pokemon TCG, I really implore you to check out games like Netrunner, Smash Up, Dominion, Star Realms, or Seasons, to name a few.

Untrue, people like to 100% games and Pokemon being virtually impossible to 100% on VC will cause Nintendo unneeded headaches. People will complain about certain pokemon being uncatchable or impossible to evolve ("why can't I catch meowth!?")

I'ld love RBY to get a release on VC, but with the game link so important to the game. I don't think Nintendo would release it without a way to transfer (I imagine LG and FR have more odds of a VC release really...)

Velcro Fly

older pokemon games would be fun once or twice because of nostalgia, but they'd be borderline unplayable based on the current games. who wants to deal with no physical/special split? who wants to deal with changing your pokemon box on the PC every time it's full. who wants to deal with only 20 items in your bag when you have several key items like HMs you need to pick up in the world? who wants to sit there and grind pokemon when they are never leaving your VC? Who wants to never be able to trade or battle anyone?

I'd probably buy one, have fun for a week or two, and then never buy any of them again because I'd rather have the quality of life changes inherent in the newer games.

daydream

Banned
older pokemon games would be fun once or twice because of nostalgia, but they'd be borderline unplayable based on the current games. who wants to deal with no physical/special split? who wants to deal with changing your pokemon box on the PC every time it's full. who wants to deal with only 20 items in your bag when you have several key items like HMs you need to pick up in the world? who wants to sit there and grind pokemon when they are never leaving your VC? Who wants to never be able to trade or battle anyone?

I'd probably buy one, have fun for a week or two, and then never buy any of them again because I'd rather have the quality of life changes inherent in the newer games.

Way to make assumptions. I don't need them on VC or anything, but I'd take Gen I or II over the new ones any day of the week.

HT UK

Will buy for sure. Let's just hope this leads to Red/Blue/Yellow etc. on the VC. They're leaving money on the table with those.

MicH

So Nintendo is considering porting the TCG before the original game? Classic Nintendo.
There are some issues with releasing the original games as many Pokemon are locked out of the game as they can only be acquired though trading. Unless they somehow make wireless or online trading available I can see why they don't want to release them as of right now.

Check the post 10 or so posts above this for a list of the Pokemon

daydream

Banned
I'm partial to Ronald's theme myself.

I hope it comes to North America as well because we all need to bask in the sweet, sweet glow of Imakuni?!

Indeed.

At least someone mentioned Imakuni!

Dude's all kinds of crazy.

2290441-imakuni.png

JulianImp

I played the heck out of this game on my Game Boy, but I'd say re-releasing it with no multiplayer defeats the purposed of the game in the first place. Also, the card selection is kind of shallow (Base Set 1, Jungle and Fossil expansions, plus a few promo and GB only cards), and there're lots of broken cards from back when they were still balancing the game out (Bill, Professor Oak, Computer Search and Item Finder say hi! Also, Gust of Wind, Energy Removal and Energy Search).

All in all, it'd be great if they somehow allowed emulating link and IR connectivity via Wi-Fi and LAN, but I guess that won't be happening anytime soon. Finally getting my hands on PTCG2 would be a different story, though...

Also, Imakuni? for god tier.

TCG1 shits on RBY, no joke.

I used to own TCG, and while it was very good and enjoyable on it's own right it's not better than the original Pokemon games.

There are some issues with releasing the original games as many Pokemon are locked out of the game as they can only be acquired though trading. Unless they somehow make wireless or online trading available I can see why they don't want to release them as of right now.

Check the post 10 or so posts above this for a list of the Pokemon

Why couldn't they just release the games as they where. You might not be able to collect them all but you could still play the games to completion.

Burbank_

I wish they would add multiplayer.

There seems to be full fan translations of the Japanese sequel. If anyone has played it, how is it different from the first, except for added Team Rocket cards?

I recall that expansion added some really op cards like Rockets's Mewtwo.

Nemesis_

I wish they would add multiplayer.

There seems to be full fan translations of the Japanese sequel. If anyone has played it, how is it different from the first, except for added Team Rocket cards?

I recall that expansion added some really op cards like Rockets's Mewtwo.

There wasn't a lot new with it, most stuff was recycled. There was a proper story this time though that had more to it than just winning battles with a kooky offshoot called Team Great Rocket run by a fully robed king. There's a deck tool that tells you how effective your deck was, but I never used it.

And yeah as you mentioned they added the Team Rocket expansion

Neo Child

Banned
There wasn't a lot new with it, most stuff was recycled. There was a proper story this time though that had more to it than just winning battles with a kooky offshoot called Team Great Rocket run by a fully robed king. There's a deck tool that tells you how effective your deck was, but I never used it.

And yeah as you mentioned they added the Team Rocket expansion

• Yeah, there is now 2 islands instead of 1 so alot more battles.
  • Card Popping gives you more cards in the sequel.
  • Also there is quite a number of new exclusive game-only cards!
  • Probably more things but I've only played a few hours of it so far (*cough* on my youtube channel *cough*)

Also, doesn't multiplayer exist on the Virtual Console? I see on NES games theres an option for download play....

So I'm sure they could get it working if they tried. Maybe they'll add link support 5 years down the line when they release Pokemon REd/Blue

JoeM86

I'd imagine that there may be an official translation of Pokémon Card GB2: Here Comes Team Great Rocket, somewhere in Nintendo.

The problem with that game would appear to be that its initial release in Japan (March 28 2001) was just before the transfer of the handling of cards from Wizards of the Coast to Pokémon USA, which could have caused a variety of rights issues, and that's potentially why we never got it.

Hell, the rights to the cards was why I personally thought that this release would never come to the Virtual Console. I was stunned to see it in the press release on Monday morning.

Seeing as this game is coming out, the rights issues must be moot now, so anything is possible regarding the sequel. I wouldn't say it's an impossibility, but it's highly unlikely.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
^ We can always hope, but I think it was simply too late in the GBC lifecycle.

I wish that Nintendo were more lenient with publishing Japan-only games digitally that never saw a western release, just make it really clear that it's fully in Japanese. Would totally buy Card GB 2.

Neo Child

Banned
I'd imagine that there may be an official translation of Pokémon Card GB2: Here Comes Team Great Rocket, somewhere in Nintendo.

The problem with that game would appear to be that its initial release in Japan (March 28 2001) was just before the transfer of the handling of cards from Wizards of the Coast to Pokémon USA, which could have caused a variety of rights issues, and that's potentially why we never got it.

Hell, the rights to the cards was why I personally thought that this release would never come to the Virtual Console. I was stunned to see it in the press release on Monday morning.

Seeing as this game is coming out, the rights issues must be moot now, so anything is possible regarding the sequel. I wouldn't say it's an impossibility, but it's highly unlikely.

Japan is getting/got Donkey Kong Land on the Virtual Console, which was developed by Rare so anything is possible
but i dont care aobut conkers pocket nuts

Kiru

I'm partial to Ronald's theme myself.

At least someone mentioned Imakuni!

Dude's all kinds of crazy.

2290441-imakuni.png
He was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread :D Just forgot his name. Man when he was in the room the music even changed to some really weird stuff. :D I beat him so often just to get those sweet booster packs.

Prophane33

So I'm sure they could get it working if they tried. Maybe they'll add link support 5 years down the line when they release Pokemon REd/Blue

I know in gaming it's almost always a bad idea to say "never," but my 27 years of gaming experiences is telling me that Pokemon Red/Blue etc. is NEVER coming to VC. The reason being: they can remake them over and over and just make easy money (see: Dragon Quest and/or the upcoming Pokemon remakes).

backlot

So not only would people be unable to complete their Pokédex but a huge bulk of the Pokémon would be missing in the game, furthermore those Pokémon that are in the game would be unable to be transferred over to gen 6 and are stuck in those game.

If people want to explore Kanto and Jotho the Jotho remake fits that role.

Not going to happen.

The remakes have all those same restrictions. If you were to play FireRed today you wouldn't be able to get all those Pokemon unless you knew someone else playing through LeafGreen at the same time or bought both games and had a bunch of extra hardware to trade with yourself. HGSS is in basically the same boat now that WiFi has been shut down. Not to mention HGSS are out of print and ridiculously expensive right now.

Tenki

I've read they haven't uploaded the Spanish version for Spain, just the English, French and German. Well, purchase delayed.

The remakes have all those same restrictions. If you were to play FireRed today you wouldn't be able to get all those Pokemon unless you knew someone else playing through LeafGreen at the same time or bought both games and had a bunch of extra hardware to trade with yourself. HGSS is in basically the same boat now that WiFi has been shut down. Not to mention HGSS are out of print and ridiculously expensive right now.

I guess we'll see a re-release of HG/SS on 3DS unless, between a 3DS remake of FR/LG, OR/AS and X/Y, it's possible to get all 700+ monsters. The, incredibly optimistic, alternative is a Wii U version of HG/SS which connects to the 3DS and X/Y and OR/AS.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Never played the Pokemon card games or the videogame versions - does the gameplay mechanics hold up even without nostalgia ? Just watched a gameplay video and it seems to be a legit rpg, with overworld, characters etc. - thats more than i expected.

Top Bottom