• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game |OT| Gotta Collect them all!

Looking to get back into PTCGO. I haven't played in a while and see the sets rotated a while ago. I'm sitting on ~80 packs of Flashfire. Should I trade them off or open them? And if so what packs would be the best to trade them off for?

Also what's a great place to buy booster codes?

Card Boy

Banned
My pulls

fcEPM3I.jpg

The M Charizard EX Full Art is worth the most out of that, followed by the M Venusaur EX Full Art.

Looking to get back into PTCGO. I haven't played in a while and see the sets rotated a while ago. I'm sitting on ~80 packs of Flashfire. Should I trade them off or open them? And if so what packs would be the best to trade them off for?

Also what's a great place to buy booster codes?

Trade them for Roaring Skies packs. I don't know what the conversion rate would be but I know the Skies packs are the most valuable.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So, bought 7 packs, and didn't get charizard damn it! What's cool though is they give you codes for the online pack for double the chance.

i'm going back to gamestop to buy their god damn box foijaewi8g9ojaemrghyp;9oeu8ihyjg43w890pyt6ujh34aeqn5yg9uoi4a5eyhj4en

Fishious

Target currently has a 20% off code applicable to lots of stuff, including Pokemon cards. Looks like they don't sell individual packs online, but if you're interested in Elite Trainer boxes, tins, ex sets, 3 pack blisters, etc check it out. For example, the Evolutions Elite Trainer Blastoise Box is $31.99 + tax w/ code KIDSGIFTS.

Unfortunately it looks like the Mew & Mewtwo generations box is currently sold out. It went OOS while in my cart so I'm feeling a bit salty right now.

johnsmith

remember me
Target currently has a 20% off code applicable to lots of stuff, including Pokemon cards. Looks like they don't sell individual packs online, but if you're interested in Elite Trainer boxes, tins, ex sets, 3 pack blisters, etc check it out. For example, the Evolutions Elite Trainer Blastoise Box is $31.99 + tax w/ code KIDSGIFTS.

Unfortunately it looks like the Mew & Mewtwo generations box is currently sold out. It went OOS while in my cart so I'm feeling a bit salty right now.

You can get an extra 10% off with the target kid's wish list app too.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/target-kids-wish-list/id925077108?mt=8

But you kind of have to be wary, they messed up my order of the rayquaza vs keldeo decks, and instead sent me a magearna tin. At least they let me keep it and they got me a refund.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
16 packs later, no charizard ahhhhhhhhh

at least I got imakuni's doduo, the greatest card of all time.

Rellik

16 packs later, no charizard ahhhhhhhhh

at least I got imakuni's doduo, the greatest card of all time.

I pulled 2 different Charizards today in my last packs of Generations so I know I'm not getting one in my Evolutions now.

I've bought 40 Evolutions packs, and had some pretty good pulls.

2x Charizard EX
Mega Charizard EX (the nicer one with the rough surface)
"Classic" holo Charizard
Venusaur EX
2x Mega Venusaur EX's (one smooth, one rough)
Mega Slowbro EX
Full art Brock's Grit
Ninetails BREAK
Starmie BREAK
Nidoking BREAK

I list everything on eBay (but use the online codes in the TCGO), so I'm happy with that lot.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
after 30 packs, this is what i got

CwuTIHEXEAABoIa.jpg

I keep telling myself "surely I will get the charizard". Ended up getting mega RIP. Thanks for the memories, and the debt, pokemon company.

I pulled a reverse holo charizard on tcgo :mad:

Card Boy

Banned
Both good pulls on the last 2 posts. Shotgun Kiss that M Charizard EX Full Art Ultra Rare is worth alot.

Also PAULINK your M Charizard EX is full a decent amount of coin aswell along with Brock FA, Mewtwo FA and Pidgeot FA.

teeny

So I bought a couple booster packs of the XY Evolutions for nostalgia reasons... and now I'm 5 packs in and am in collector mode. Very happy with my Slowbro EX, Chansey holo and Mew holo.

I wish I was a kid again and knew other people so I could swap commons :p

Bii

So I bought a couple booster packs of the XY Evolutions for nostalgia reasons... and now I'm 5 packs in and am in collector mode. Very happy with my Slowbro EX, Chansey holo and Mew holo.

I wish I was a kid again and knew other people so I could swap commons :p

It's fairly inexpensive to mail out cards nowadays. Not quite the same feel but if you want to collect the commons on the cheap, that's the best route.

Rellik

There are also some websites that will buy them off you for cash or stroe credit, and you can also buy singles off them. But obviously check the trade route first and if you choose to sell, look around for prices to make sure you're not being ripped off.

I do miss though days of being at school with a pocket full of cards, but it also ruined the condition of my OG Mewtwo since it was always on top. I still have it, but pretty much worthless in the condition it is in.

pwack

I'm new to the card game, but have been playing a ton with my son. Bought the blastoise trainer box. Most valuable pull was the full art Misty. Also split a box of 36 packs with another family, which means my son gets 18 to work through. (He buys them off me with his allowance at the bulk rate).

Question -- Target was wiped out of cards when I was there this weekend. Is that normal when a new wave is released, or is this a result of Pokemon Go boosting popularity? (It's what brought my family in).

rj118

After selling a boatload of my old rare / holo cards over the summer I was sucked back in. This is what I've gotten out of 20 Evolutions boosters. The first 3 packs were complete duds so I'm glad I kept going.

Rellik

Dem secret rare pull rates. More like regular rare, not even holo.

I just pulled one too haha.

I also pulled the reverse holo Charizard. I was hoping for regular one. Still got a lot of packs leftover from my booster box though. *fingers crossed*

Just got a Shaymin EX from the 4 roaring skies boosters I opened!

You utter bastard. Any time I see box sets that have some Roaring Skies boosters in them, I buy them in the hope of pulling a Shaymin-EX, but still nothing, even after around 30 or so packs.

Did you get the 77 or 106 version? Both are super rare/valuable, but 106 moreso.

Gravidee

I pulled a Shaymin EX (77) out of a RS pack during the summer and didn't think too much of it at first. But then I checked its selling price both instore and online and my eyes bulged. I didn't think that it would that sought after.

johnsmith

remember me
You utter bastard. Any time I see box sets that have some Roaring Skies boosters in them, I buy them in the hope of pulling a Shaymin-EX, but still nothing, even after around 30 or so packs.

Did you get the 77 or 106 version? Both are super rare/valuable, but 106 moreso.

The 77 version. Full art version would have been nicer for sure.

I pulled a Shaymin EX (106) out of a RS pack during the summer and didn't think too much of it at first. But then I checked its selling price both instore and online and my eyes bulged. I didn't think that it would that sought after.

It's a fantastic card that can be used in nearly any deck, so I think it's the most valuable modern-day card.

EDIT: Sorry for double post.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ugh, all the packs I have are trade-locked (even if I earned them in-game. :/) and I can't buy gold to get Evolution packs. Why. :/

Keeping it in case I get more serious about the game. How many do most decks run?

That's a bit of a general question, as it's not in "most decks". And it depends if you build a deck around it or just throw it in as an extra. Though I tend to run at least two of any particular card in any given deck, as if you run only one, there's a chance it could be a Prize card, and you can't search for it in your deck.

hazukash

I went to Walmart and decided to pick up an Evolutions booster pack. Nearly all the packs they carried from any set were obviously opened by thieves/customers except for one Evolutions pack so I didn't really have a choice. Back home, when I opened the pack, I noticed some cards were loose, which really bummed me out because it meant someone went through the cards and stole the rares. I don't even know how that's possible since the cardboard was still glued together. The packaging was cut very neatly as if an experienced thief had used a tool to see the cards without damaging the cardboard. I felt robbed from my purchase, but there were still 10 cards (and the code) in the pack so I decided to check them out. I assumed they must have been after Charizard, EXes or full arts and this pack was a dud so they didn't steal anything.

I was wrong. I got Misty's determination and a Venusaur EX (not full art), the two cards I was looking for. Score. Still, now I know to avoid Walmart or any store that doesn't secure their packs. When I was a kid, packs didn't come in any extra cardboard or plastic packaging and theft wasn't an issue at all. What happened since 2000?

Bii

Nowadays, you don't need to physically open a pack to determine if a holo or EX card is in it. .___.

teeny

So now it appears I am addicted. I probably should have predicted that would happen from the first booster pack.

I decided to play tcg online as well and now it's my go-to lunch time game. I've only got Evolutions physical cards and now I'm lamenting the fact I cannot get any of the cool looking cards I see online!

When do the next sets typically release? Will it be Sun and Moon based? I can see some sort of pack is going to be released this month (in the UK) with the S&M starters but the booster packs are from different sets/expansions, including Evolutions.

I'll probably start collecting from there and not worry too much about getting older cards physically. I can still use them in game.

Card Boy

Banned
Sun & Moon is the next set and is releasing on Feb 3rd. You should join the pre-release event for it in your area as you get promos that tend to be worth alot.

Sets are generally released every 3 months (4 a year).

teeny

Sun & Moon is the next set and is releasing on Feb 3rd. You should join the pre-release event for it in your area as you get promos that tend to be worth alot.

Sets are generally released every 3 months (4 a year).

Thanks! Who usually does the pre-release event in the UK? Toys R Us? I can't seem to find any information, keep getting stuff about the release date for the game and the legendary events running this year.

Nintendad

Hi! So both of my kids are really into Pokemon. They want trading cards and want to play the game for christmas. I was wondering what are good sets to start up for each of them? I was thinking of getting them each a box of the booster packs, but any good starting packs? I saw a new one with Pikachu.

fenners

Hi! So both of my kids are really into Pokemon. They want trading cards and want to play the game for christmas. I was wondering what are good sets to start up for each of them? I was thinking of getting them each a box of the booster packs, but any good starting packs? I saw a new one with Pikachu.

The "training decks" are the best start, IMO, followed up by theme decks. The random booster boxes are fun for collecting, but you're not guaranteed to get good decks, and enough energy etc to play.

rj118

Some deals for those looking to buy cheap(er) cards...

Target has 30% off toys at the moment which includes Pokemon cards. If you have a Meijer near you, they have a b1g1 50% off promo which ends today.

Wulfric

Hey Pokemon peeps, do Evolutions packs come with the online code? I've been eyeing the trainer bundle for a while.

And oh my god the online client is so much better than Magic Online. It's so colorful and not stuck in the 2000s.

rj118

Hey Pokemon peeps, do Evolutions packs come with the online code? I've been eyeing the trainer bundle for a while.

And oh my god the online client is so much better than Magic Online. It's so colorful and not stuck in the 2000s.

Yes, you'll get a booster pack code for every Evolutions pack you open. The elite trainer box will also have a separate code for the card sleeves, energy cards, etc. that come in the box.

teeny

Is the Electabuzz Toys R Us promo available in the U.K tomorrow?

Picked up 6 of the 8 GAME promos on Friday which was fun :) I haven't got any other Generations cards (yet)

Went to Tesco earlier, and all their Pokemon Trading Card stuff was 3-for-2, so I bought 12 Battle Hearts tins (each come with a guaranteed EX card, and 4 booster packs).

Not great pulls, but I should still be able to sell everything for a profit (especially seeing as the empty tins go for around £10 each on eBay). So I basically got a bunch of online codes for free.

N.Domixis

Banned
Electebuzz card today. Going to try to ask for multiple?

Hnng Just bought three random packs while waiting for my eletcabuzz. Check out my collection now!
uvLdEwj.jpg

I got a beautiful Magneton card. A little disapointed the holo stars extend all over the card. A cool looking pickachu card and a shitty charizard card. I really dislike this type of holo.

Top 3 so far.
Charmander Toys R Us
Ellectabuz Toys R US
Magneton
Picachu surfer

Top Bottom