• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game |OT| Gotta Collect them all!

Chase17

I started collecting Pokemon cards again recently. Been buying a bunch of booster packs and yesterday I picked up the Steam Siege Elite Trainer Box.

I pulled these two awesome cards from the elite box. I was so excited to get Magearna.
Nice! I think that Volcanion is one of the two rarest cards in the set.

Really like that Magearna art.

dity

Nice! I think that Volcanion is one of the two rarest cards in the set.

Really like that Magearna art.
I looked it up yeah and you're right, apparently it's a secret rare. The other one is a Gardevoir-EX.

I was so excited to get Magearna! She's one of the Pokemon cards to get released that made me really want to start collecting again.

Zombine

Banned
I have a crazy itch to play again. I might start with those Hoopa/Volcanion decks. Are they a decent spot to start?

I really need to find all of my old cards...

Jesus! Looking at those EX cards, there's been some powercreep since I stopped playing. 3 energy for 160 damage! On a BASIC Pokemon?

Reminds me of Magic the Gathering. Old cards seemed OP. Then there was a period when creature cards were relatively weak. Now creatures make old ones of the same mana costs look lame.

Bii

Jesus! Looking at those EX cards, there's been some powercreep since I stopped playing. 3 energy for 160 damage! On a BASIC Pokemon?

Reminds me of Magic the Gathering. Old cards seemed OP. Then there was a period when creature cards were relatively weak. Now creatures make old ones of the same mana costs look lame.

Just played online against a Night March deck. On their first turn, they were able to OHKO my active for 180 (even after resistance!) with a double colorless energy. :( And it wasn't even an EX card they had.

I'm glad it's going to be rotated out once the standard format goes into effect for 2016-2017.

Edit: And if anyone's interested, the Pokemon World Championships 2016 is being streamed: http://www.pokemonchampionships.com/trading-card-game-championship-series
Pokken and Ruby/Sapphire are being streamed too.

DedValve

Banned
Where can you buy those reprints of the original?

I still have my original holographic charizard somewhere stored in puerto rico in mint condition. Man I miss it.

Where can you buy those reprints of the original?

I still have my original holographic charizard somewhere stored in puerto rico in mint condition. Man I miss it.

September for the Japanese versions, November for the International versions. They'll be in regular packs at any store that sells them.

Also yeah, powercreep got ridiculous around Black and White. They had to bring back EXes just to stop the big basics that were happening then (BW Reshiram was probably the biggest offender). Night March seemed to be one of those promo card gimmicks that never take off but they made it way too good and now it's the freest win possible. At least Evolution cards are coming back to being playable now, I have good feelings about the Sun and Moon series with regards to balance.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is buying theme decks trade locked for anyone else? I can't gift the one I just bought to another account? :/

edit:

Most cards available in the Pokémon Trading Card Game Online are "Trade Locked", meaning that they may not be Traded with other players. This limitation is designed to discourage "card farming" — players creating extra accounts solely to expand their card collection through card trading (including trades with the player's primary account).

Oh, that explains it. :/

dity

They look powerful at first glance, but check the text beneath their attacks. VolcanionEX can't attack on the next turn and Magearna's attack is halved on the next turn. So they're good for one wipe, but should probably be retreated on the next turn.

Is buying theme decks trade locked for anyone else? I can't gift the one I just bought to another account? :/

edit:

Oh, that explains it. :/

Wait, what? I thought the only trade-locked cards were ones you unlocked for free in the game by meeting certain requirements. You can't trade cards from decks you bought?

TheSeks

Wait, what? I thought the only trade-locked cards were ones you unlocked for free in the game by meeting certain requirements. You can't trade cards from decks you bought?

Apparently if you buy the decks in the in-game store, they're trade locked. I found that out the hard way.

Bought a generations elite trainer box at target (those sleeves are awesome) and got some sweet pulls from the packs! Blastoise EX, Leafeon EX, Slyveon EX (both fullart and non fullart), Mega Charizard EX, and a Meowstic EX.

Always a blast to open packs but I need to stop wasting money on them and actually buy the singles that I need to get a deck to actually play with.

dity

Bought a generations elite trainer box at target (those sleeves are awesome) and got some sweet pulls from the packs! Blastoise EX, Leafeon EX, Slyveon EX (both fullart and non fullart), Mega Charizard EX, and a Meowstic EX.

Always a blast to open packs but I need to stop wasting money on them and actually buy the singles that I need to get a deck to actually play with.
I can't wait until that trainer box comes out here in Australia. It comes out halfway into September.

Skatterd

Concerning TCG online:

This has to be a known glitch or I'm missing something
Quite often when I'm playing and moving a card to my bench I will drop the card and select the bench and (from what I can tell) there's nothing I can do at this point except concede the game.

I lose at least one out of every four online games because of this. Has anyone heard anything?

Bii

Those are some nice pulls. So your post on Reddit too.

Thanks for the heads up, I went by my local Target and they had them out as well; so I bought a box. Will open it up later tonight.

fenners

Concerning TCG online:

This has to be a known glitch or I'm missing something
Quite often when I'm playing and moving a card to my bench I will drop the card and select the bench and (from what I can tell) there's nothing I can do at this point except concede the game.

I lose at least one out of every four online games because of this. Has anyone heard anything?

I'm playing on the PC & haven't seen that, sorry.

N.Domixis

Banned
How much do the codes that come with the cards cost? I have at least a hundred unused ones. I am not selling just want to know.

Those are some nice pulls. So your post on Reddit too.

Thanks for the heads up, I went by my local Target and they had them out as well; so I bought a box. Will open it up later tonight.

hey, that coulda been someone else who got the exact same pulls as me :^)

Good luck with your box. Honestly, I had been holding off on the generations box since I didn't really like all that many cards in the set. I much prefer Breakpoint, but after getting it and seeing the extras that came with it, I'm very pleased. The sleeves are gorgeous and the energy cards are awesome.

Let me know how your back edges are. Very curious as to whether i just got super lucky or if the ETBs actually tend to come out better.

I also went through my old collection last night - Found a first edition shadowless pidgeotto and almost shit a brick. Seems like it's in good condition, too, for having been in an overstuffed binder since I was a kid. A couple of nicks on the back, but maybe a PSA 8? A couple of other first editions too, but from Jungle/Rocket, so not too exciting there.

Bii

hey, that coulda been someone else who got the exact same pulls as me :^)

Good luck with your box. Honestly, I had been holding off on the generations box since I didn't really like all that many cards in the set. I much prefer Breakpoint, but after getting it and seeing the extras that came with it, I'm very pleased. The sleeves are gorgeous and the energy cards are awesome.

Let me know how your back edges are. Very curious as to whether i just got super lucky or if the ETBs actually tend to come out better.

I also went through my old collection last night - Found a first edition shadowless pidgeotto and almost shit a brick. Seems like it's in good condition, too, for having been in an overstuffed binder since I was a kid. A couple of nicks on the back, but maybe a PSA 8? A couple of other first editions too, but from Jungle/Rocket, so not too exciting there.

Some of my cards have a few issues on the corners (more visible on the back of the card). It doesn't bother me much. While not as impressive as yours, here are my pulls (promo Shaymin-EX not pictured):

EtoO8wz.jpg

I'm almost tempted to buy another Generations Elite Trainer Box. Really love the design of everything though I would have preferred if a matching (smaller) deck box was included.

Some of my cards have a few issues on the corners (more visible on the back of the card). It doesn't bother me much. While not as impressive as yours, here are my pulls (promo Shaymin-EX not pictured):

I'm almost tempted to buy another Generations Elite Trainer Box. Really love the design of everything though I would have preferred if a matching (smaller) deck box was included.

Nice! I was actually shocked at how much the Mega Charizard is going for - looks like $15-16 on TCGplayer. I wonder if that will go up if they release a charizard spirit link in the next set.

I feel you on doubling up on boxes, I'm considering doing it just so I have more of those sleeves. Although I just ordered some KMC Perfects to double sleeve stuff in my binder.

dity

Hot damn those are some nice cards!

And I don't believe the whole spiel that elite box boosters have the same chances as every other booster pack. They definitely have better pulls (from what I've seen).

DeathPeak

Every once in awhile, I buy booster packs. I've found a Mega Charizard Y EX and it's my favorite card (and probably most valuable over-all) of recent sets. All my cards from the 90s are pretty much still in great condition. My Pokemon card binder is one of the few things I will never get rid of.

I was going through my old cards earlier looking for any decent stuff and noticed that the Slowpoke art used on the generations cards is the same exact art used on slowpoke's fossil set incarnation.

I know they do this with Tauros too, but I choose to believe they did it because Slowpoke hasn't moved since the fossil set was released 16 years ago.

Busaiku

Do Japanese card codes work in the US online game?
I wanted to try and get into this again, but I wanted those Pikachu hunter cards, which aren't in the US.

Anony

i think some theme decks are being removed from the shop, so u might want to get one of those

i want to build a dragon deck, but i have no dragon energies; was there previously a theme deck u could get with dragon energies in it?

dity

i think some theme decks are being removed from the shop, so u might want to get one of those

i want to build a dragon deck, but i have no dragon energies; was there previously a theme deck u could get with dragon energies in it?
I don't believe there is dragon energies.

dity

There are double dragon energies, which were only relased in the Roaring Skies set. Both theme decks from that set came with one copy of DDE.
But do any Pokemon actually use them for attacks? Because I've only seen it as a Pokemon type.

jerd

But do any Pokemon actually use them for attacks? Because I've only seen it as a Pokemon type.

Dragons tend to have bizarre energy requirements which can be easily covered by double dragon energy. Basically is 2 rainbow energies that can only be placed on dragon type pokemon. So while it isn't technically required for attacks, it is usually pretty hard to fulfill dragon's energy requirements without it.

dity

Dragons tend to have bizarre energy requirements which can be easily covered by double dragon energy. Basically is 2 rainbow energies that can only be placed on dragon type pokemon. So while it isn't technically required for attacks, it is usually pretty hard to fulfill dragon's energy requirements without it.
Hunh. That's so oddly specific. I guess you'd just need to go for a double rainbow energy these days since its probably a bit easier to find.

TheSeks

Login been screwed up for anyone else over the past two days?

Jungle Mr. Mime still wrecks all these new-school big damage scrubs :)

TheSeks

Logged in okay last night on my kids' accounts to get 'em their daily. PC.

I dunno. I keep getting stuck at 8% or 98% loading on login and then it kicks me back to the login screen with "Could Not Reach Pokemon.com Login Services. Please Try Again Later."

Pachimari

Is it viable to build a deck with mutiple different types of Pokemon, or is it a better idea to mainly have two types for a deck?

But which decks are about to expire? And which one should I buy?

I have 500 coins so I can buy one deck, and is thinking of buying the one with Yveltal on the package, but that's only because it's one of my favorite Pokemon.

I got the 20th anniversary box at Target yesterday for 30 bucks. They were all in the wrong spot. But I'm afraid to open it because I feel like it will be worth alot in a couple years.

Rellik

I got the 20th anniversary box at Target yesterday for 30 bucks. They were all in the wrong spot. But I'm afraid to open it because I feel like it will be worth alot in a couple years.

Buy another if you have the spare cash. Open 1 and keep the other untouched.

Early prints of Evolutions card were found at a "French flea market or something".
Cq36HtEWcAAMsQ-.jpg
So I was right, they're going to look more like the Gym Heroes design than Base Set. It's fine really, Base Set's design wasted a lot of space at the bottom.
Apparently there's video of them coming soon too. I guess even the TCG has leaks now.

Pachimari

This helped me a lot, thanks! I might write on their board just to get some help with deck building.

I bought the Dark Hammer theme pack, and is gonna buy the Destruction Rush (Yveltal) pack before they rotate. And if I have time for it, Enchanted Echo (Sylveon) pack as well.

So if they get rotated it means that I won't be able to buy them after? Or just that I won't be able to play them in competetive events?

Card Boy

Banned

That M Charizard Ex + M Venusaur Ex would of paid for your Generations Elite Trainer box alone if you decide to sell them.

This thread is appreciated. My son has been begging me to help him learn how to play this since he got cards with his Happy Meal.

I'm going start playing the Pokemon online card game with him to learn, but he wants to play with actual cards. Thank you.

I'm think of getting him a theme to get stared. Is one as good as another or would is be better for a begginer or just better overall? He's 8, If that helps.

Top Bottom