• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon X/Y Online Battle Exploit - "Battle Analyser"

DaBoss

Why bother wasting hours/days breeding and training when Jimmy is using Pokewhatever to get his perfect Pokemon in less than a minute?

The only reason to bother is for self-satisfaction which kind of kills the point of Pokemon X/Y; which to me seems like it's about sharing experiences with everyone around the world. Trading will pretty much become pointless since the hacked Pokemon will flood and devalue pretty much everything. This only adds further to the problem.

Pokemon is about trading and battling. Both have pretty much been compromised and always will be.
I do agree trading is compromised, but has been for a long time.

However I do not think battling is compromised. I don't care how they got the Pokemon as long as it is considered legitimate and has moves it can learn/know, so in short, I don't want to be at a disadvantage, which I wasn't.....until this piece of shit program was made. I truly want this to be patched ASAP.

Bullza2o

This is terrible. I really hope Nintendo/GF sees this soon and devise a solution to block this. It's sad people try to exploit games, especially Pokemon.

Also last night my friend told me other starter Pokemon have been hacked and are being spread out via Wonder Trade. Is this true?

Berordn

GTS is encrypted as they likely didn't want fans making competing products to Pokebank (something similar to Pokebank was released for Gen 5 by fans for free). They would need to put that same encryption on battles (which they should have done from the start but apparently didn't feel like doing) and force players to update when connecting online (which is what I assume Mario Kart did).

Right, I'm mostly just wondering if it's possible for them to patch encryption in after the fact without some massive overhaul.

DaBoss

This is terrible. I really hope Nintendo/GF sees this soon and devise a solution to block this. It's sad people try to exploit games, especially Pokemon.

Also last night my friend told me other starter Pokemon have been hacked and are being spread out via Wonder Trade. Is this true?
Starter Pokemon have been hacked? What does your friend mean by that? There is no way to "hack a starter" Pokemon.

lupinko

???

You mean people are just breeding starters or using the ones from Friend Safari via Wonder Trade?

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
It's no wonder I never bothered with online in any of the games that included it. Maybe if games didn't include win/loss records people wouldn't go out of their way to cheat like that. Granted some people would still like to ruin peoples fun. Mario Kart DS was enough proof for me that more people would cheat in DS online games.
lol overlapping everyone the moment the race starts.

Right, I'm mostly just wondering if it's possible for them to patch encryption in after the fact without some massive overhaul.
Maybe - it depends on how they establish connections system-to-system vs. system-to-PGL. If there are standard protocols for doing both of them, that the way they communicate is independent of the connection type, then it should be easier. If they had to roll their own code to do the communication, then patching it will be more difficult.

Neiteio

If they're the Unova starters (Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie) or Kanto starters (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle), they're legit and are likely just breeding rejects. It's easy to obtain those online. If they're any of the other starters, they must be a hack since the other starters aren't available until Poke-Bank comes out later next month.

DaBoss

It's no wonder I never bothered with online in any of the games that included it. Maybe if games didn't include win/loss records people wouldn't go out of their way to cheat like that. Granted some people would still like to ruin peoples fun. Mario Kart DS was enough proof for me that more people would cheat in DS online games.
lol overlapping everyone the moment the race starts.
Mario Kart Wii was the worst when it came to cheaters, it had people just spamming items solely at me or other specific players. Their intent was clearly not to win. It was really annoying.

Andrefpvs

Not sure why people are pointing out the amount of research and documentation of Pokemon's mechanics when Battle Analyzer is more like a cheat program like you would see in an online first person shooter (yes, I know those work differently but I can't think of any other comparison).

You still need knowledge of the organization of the data structures to know what the data you get from packet sniffing means. This program wouldn't be as "useful" for the Average Joe if all it presented on the screen was hexadecimal numbers.

You still need knowledge of the organization of the data structures to know what the data you get from packet sniffing means. This program wouldn't be as "useful" for the Average Joe if all it presented on the screen was hexadecimal numbers.

That's still more of a general technical skill than anything, and Pokemon is by far not the first game to be disrupted with programs designed to give unfair advantages to the player.

Bullza2o

If they're the Unova starters (Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie) or Kanto starters (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle), they're legit and are likely just breeding rejects. It's easy to obtain those online. If they're any of the other starters, they must be a hack since the other starters aren't available until Poke-Bank comes out later next month.

My friend told me it's those other starters. Sorry to have caused confusion; I just wanted to make sure if it was a lie or not. Seems like it isn't true.

Theorymon

Okay, some good news at least. The Pokécheck guys are making some sort of counter cheating program that sabotages the battle analyzer program, in a way where the cheater has no idea what you actually have.

So if Gamefreak is dumb and leaves this unpatched, at least soon, there will be a way so Online Pokémon battling won't be TOTALLY ruined on the cart.

Sent a tweet with a horrendous attempt at Japanese to Masuda. Too lazy to activate the Japanese IME on this comp, too.

Apparently this current release is buggy, but since the source code was released, well... yeeeeeaaaaaaaah. Not good at all. For the last... two years, I think... JPN has used a WiFi tourney for Nat qualifiers. So I'm guessing GF will start seeing what they can do whenever they're made aware of it because this is an even bigger problem than DCing. If they can do something about it then they most certainly will.

ash_ag

Game Freak needs to hire a security consultant immediately. This is getting embarrassing, and I can only guess they are ignorant of the problem and rather naïve to not anticipate it in first place; it's hard to imagine them simply not caring.

TWILT

Banned
*Sigh* Makes me sad that people would make an exploit like this. Least it gives me reason to quit random wifis.

Sandfox

In the meantime it looks like we're going to be getting a program that stops people from being able to use the program against you lol.

Game Freak needs to hire a security consultant immediately. This is getting embarrassing, and I can only guess they are ignorant of the problem and rather naïve to not anticipate it in first place; it's hard to imagine them simply not caring.

The older games getting hacked was something completely different from what is happening now and wasn't really their fault since there wasn't anything they could do given what we see people doing on the the previous devices. The current thing requires them to encrypt the data which they will probably do and they already know about this but they can't just push a button and release a patch in two minutes.

Neiteio

So this program that's being made to counter the cheating program... It'd be funny if you could have it send out information of your choosing to trick anyone using the cheating program (and thus playing honestly wouldn't be affected). That way you could bait your opponent into, say, picking all Electric-types by making them think you picked all Water-types, when in reality you picked three Ground-types, lol.

Muku

Well hell. I'm just about finished breeding my team. What's the point to now? Ugh.

Though, on a side note, is dropping mid game still common for folks that are about to lose? That's one reason I've not jumped into battle aspect yet. I had enough of the ship jumpers when they didn't get their way and were on their way to getting their "first" loss.

Don't forget Torchic as a Wifi goodie.

Sandfox

Well hell. I'm just about finished breeding my team. What's the point to now? Ugh.

Though, on a side note, is dropping mid game still common for folks that are about to lose? That's one reason I've not jumped into battle aspect yet. I had enough of the ship jumpers when they didn't get their way and were on their way to getting their "first" loss.

Its not like everyone on the internet is going to be using this program so you can still battle if you want and every online game has people that DC when they get upset.

Muku

Its not like everyone on the internet is going to be using this program so you can still battle if you want and every online game has people that DC when they get upset.

True, but it's going to be clear when they do. And I shouldn't have to run something just to counter the potential jerks that are.

Maybe it's the games I play, but all games I play online, when I'm about to win, the person DC's. Maybe online battles are just 2srsbsn to take a loss. I take my losses and move on. It's evident in Black. I have a crapton of losses and no wins, because not a single jackass would stick it out for their loss.

Sandfox

True, but it's going to be clear when they do. And I shouldn't have to run something just to counter the potential jerks that are.

Maybe it's the games I play, but all games I play online, when I'm about to win, the person DC's. Maybe online battles are just 2srsbsn to take a loss. I take my losses and move on. It's evident in Black. I have a crapton of losses and no wins, because not a single jackass would stick it out for their loss.
Its probably going to get patched and the fact that there will be a program to counter it will more than likely kill a lot of interest in it

Yesh, do people care about their online ego that badly?

Some people do.

PK Gaming

And breeding ingame was actually fun this time around

This completely and utterly destroys the competitive wifi environment

sighhhhhhhhhh

Dryk

I haven't had a single disconnect over ~30 battles. There was one guy that forfeited before the first round when he led with Speed Boost Blaziken and I led with Wash Rotom though. Woe is me that random Australian was trying to make me WORK for my Uber sweep by playing smart *sigh*

Muku

And breeding ingame was actually fun this time around

This completely and utterly destroys the competitive wifi environment

sighhhhhhhhhh

It was, so much so I actually jumped in to learn breeding more seriously than just making copies. I'm hoping for best. I just really hope GameFreak understands this kind of shit should be encrypted. It's kind of destroyed the fun of this generation.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

They changed it in XY so that the disconnecting party now gets a loss.

Has anyone confirmed that this program actually works as advertised?

PK Gaming

Not a fucking clue, teach me!
The former uses an external device to create a perfect replica of any particular Pokemon for competitive play. There is virtually no difference between a properly hacked Pokemon, and a real Pokemon.

The latter is a program that literally turns you into a psychic by feeding you all of the relevant information on your opponents team AND the moves they've chosen. Anyone who uses this exploit is pretty much guaranteed to win a match.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
The former uses an external device to create a perfect replica of any particular Pokemon for competitive play. There is virtually no difference between a properly hacked Pokemon, and a real Pokemon.

The latter is a program that literally turns you into a psychic by feeding you all of the relevant information on your opponents team AND the moves they've chosen. Anyone who uses this exploit is pretty much guaranteed to win a match.
Both cheating, move along everyone.

wot

Why bother wasting hours/days breeding and training when Jimmy is using Pokewhatever to get his perfect Pokemon in less than a minute?

The only reason to bother is for self-satisfaction which kind of kills the point of Pokemon X/Y; which to me seems like it's about sharing experiences with everyone around the world. Trading will pretty much become pointless since the hacked Pokemon will flood and devalue pretty much everything. This only adds further to the problem.

Pokemon is about trading and battling. Both have pretty much been compromised and always will be.

lol not this shit again

I don't know which Nintendo-community impresses me more, Pokémon or Smash Bros.

I mean this is kind of crazy that this is possible and that someone spends time doing this :lol

hey man, even if you could get this thing in Smash Bros it would be worthless because you couldn't react quickly enough

Top Bottom