• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Sigmaah

To go for a shiny perfect pokemon, that is insane, I don't think I could ever do that even with masuda method...

For the new page!!

Pokegaf, I need your help!!!

I'm trying to Breed a Shiny Female Litleo and I have a good mother with Modest (is that a good nature for it?) but I need a good Non-American Pokemon to breed it with ... and all the Pokemon I get over Wonder Trade are crap (there are a few good ones but they're females).

Anyone have a good Non-American Male Pyroar/ Furfrou (or something else that can breed with a lady Pyroar) they can trade me? I would normally leave this up to a Ditto but the Trading post for that stuff is crazy and the last time I offered a ditto for a non-American ditto some one in Japan gave me one with terrible Ivs.

tried the same with a male Pyroar ... same result. :[

Never again...

Thread title should still be "You're not stylish rnough for this thread".

Yeaaah ... not sure what this current title is referencing :/

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Trying out my all-psychic trick room team out in pokemon showdown, and it's doing surprisingly well, other than aegislash and tyranitar wrecking my shit. But that's to be expected.

macklelol

I'm feeling a bit generous, so I'm gonna be giving away some Pokemon!

I've got 10 Calm Natural Cure Chansey with Seismic Toss and Aromatherapy to give away, all with at least 2 perfect IVs in HP/Def/SpAtk/SpDef.

Also still got a few Jolly Inflitrator Zubats with Brave Bird and Defog, although I have no clue what their IVs are.

Just send me a PM if you want one.

Firestorm

5x Charmander and it's Blaze instead of Solar Power :(
Hey firestorm, I asked this in the last thread but I don't think you saw it.

As someone who plays a lot I 3v3 and 6v6 on showdown, how do I go about getting into vgc doubles? I have no experience playing doubles, so what are some things I should look for? What makes the doubles meta unique and how do I approach team building. I know I could go over to nugget bridge, but I figured I'd start here for some simple and early pointers. Thanks!

Also, anyone wanna battle? Always up for 6v6.
Sorry! Looks like I definitely missed it. I think this is a good article for getting started on team-building, but honestly I think the best way is to just get into it. Pokemon is Pokemon. You can try grabbing a team off the Reports section and testing it out on Pokemon Showdown to get an idea of how it works before building your own team. You'll find a lot of your thinking carries over.

Some important points to keep in mind:
  • Switches are no longer free - There are two Pokemon per side so you need to be able to switch in safely on whichever (or both) that might attack you
  • Protect is your friend - Again more due to the switching thing, sometimes using Protect while your partner does something is your safest play
  • Always create offensive presure - A bunch of support Pokemon without any sort of offensive threat on the field usually leads to your opponent putting themselves in a convincing winning position so make sure you are in a position to damage them
I'm not the greatest player or teacher unfortunately so I don't know if this is useful. I definitely think stealing a team and trying it out on a simulator ladder (or in-game ladder if you have the resources) is the best way to learn though!

Busaiku

Perfect for Flareon would only be 31/31/31/xx/31/31.
And you cannot deny Shiny Flareon, it's like the true Eevee evolution.

7e9O1PL.jpg

Those Defense and Speed IVs make me sad. Oh well. Shiny Pokémon bring my famiry honah!

Quest1

Thanks! Definitely a good start. Seems like doubles relies less on choice items since protect is kinda important. Most of my guys in singles are choiced.

I think I'll take your advice and just jump into it. I have almost 20 pkmn in-game so maybe I'll just jump on and lose a ton on the doubles ladder until I get it haha.

ramyeon

About to give up on getting a 5 IV Carbink and settling for a 4. It's *extremely* difficult to get a 5 out of a 4IV with a 3IV Ditto, it seems. Genderless are such a pain with not being able to switch in a better parent to replace the Ditto and all :/

Neiteio

About to give up on getting a 5 IV Carbink and settling for a 4. It's *extremely* difficult to get a 5 out of a 4IV with a 3IV Ditto, it seems. Genderless are such a pain with not being able to switch in a better parent to replace the Ditto and all :/
I shit you not, I think I pulled off exactly that on my third or fourth egg hatched. Pure RNG luck. :-\

Unicorn

OT3, hardly feels like that's where we're at.

Well, along with working full time and going to college full time I am still logging 7.75 hours per day since launch.

My sleep is ruined.

Neiteio

On the original Carbink it's missing HP I'm pretty sure, so I'm using a Ditto with HP, SpA, Spe but I keep getting ones without Spe :/
Don't worry about Speed, I never ever count on outspeeding anything as Carbink. It's not even factored into my strategy. And I say that as someone with 31 in everything but Attack!

I think I moved faster than a Mega Aggron once. It confused me, lol.

Again, it's fine to move second as Carbink. He can take it.

ramyeon

Don't worry about Speed, I never ever count on outspeeding anything as Carbink. It's not even factored into my strategy. And I say that as someone with 31 in everything but Attack!

I think I moved faster than a Mega Aggron once. It confused me, lol.

Again, it's fine to move second as Carbink. He can take it.
Oh yeah, I guess it's not that essential. Might just settle for one with high but not perfect Speed I guess ;) saves the stress off doing this over and over again.

Neiteio

Oh yeah, I guess it's not that essential. Might just settle for one with high but not perfect Speed I guess ;) saves the stress off doing this over and over again.
Wait, so you already have one with 31/X/31/31/31/X? Because that's more than enough for the way you'll use Carbink.

Remember, he's like a utility belt for your team. You roll him out, he takes a hit, he shrugs it off in most cases, and he sets up Light Clay-enhanced screens to raise all defenses 50% for your entire team for eight turns. That, and/or he drops Stealth Rock, and/or starts Trick Room, and/or changes the weather, etc. You just want him to be durable, and that's what your Carbink is. :)

Again, I have perfect speed on mine. I ain't outspeeding shit. Speed isn't necessary for Carbink. In fact, if you ever run a Trick Room set, speed would be a liability!

On the other hand. Begin EV training with horde battles: RAIN EVERYWHERE ALL OF A SUDDEN

The funny thing is, that's exactly what just happened to me, like, right now. I was prepped to start Attack training my Riolu, it was all sunny, went to put on Power Bracer and when I got out of the menu it was raining lol.

Ran to the Pokemon Center to get my Sliggoo and it finally evolved

ramyeon

Wait, so you already have one with 31/X/31/31/31/X? Because that's more than enough for the way you'll use him. Remember, he's like a utility belt for your team. You roll him out, he takes a hit, he shrugs it off in most cases, and he sets up Light Clay-enhanced screens to raise all defenses 50% for your entire team for eight turns. That, and/or he drops Stealth Rock, and/or starts Trick Room, and/or changes the weather, etc. You just want him to be durable, and that's what your Carbink is. :)

Again, I have perfect speed on mine. I ain't outspeeding shit. Speed isn't necessary for Carbink. In fact, if you ever run a Trick Room set, speed would be a liability!
Yeah I got this

Carbink - #703 (Bold)
None (X)
HP: 31
Att: 16 - 17
Def: 31
SpA: 31
SpD: 31
Speed: 12 - 13

The Speed is really abysmal though, the perfectionist in me wants it at least higher than that even if it isn't gonna outspeed anything :p

Firestorm

Why does its ability matter?
There's a chance I might use it with another Mega Evo (like Garchomp) and maybe even Manual Sun. So in battles where I don't Mega Evolve into Charizard, I want to get the boost from Sunny Day. I just haven't really fully decided on my team or strategy yet so want to keep my options open.

In any case, I have my Solar Power Charmander with 31s in everything but attack now. My friend's Solar Power female Charmander was super handy :) Time to create a sweet PR Video with him now :D

No Canadian love for the NA regions, whats up with that? Florida gets two?
Shit that should say Doswell, Virginia. MY BAD.

Vancouver used to have one but no longer does due to poor attendance. Toronto used to have one but is most likely not going to have one this year due to poor attendance in previous years (worse than Vancouver).

I'm trying to organize some local events so we can show Pokemon that we have a scene and want another chance!

Neiteio

Yeah I got this

Carbink - #703 (Bold)
None (X)
HP: 31
Att: 16 - 17
Def: 31
SpA: 31
SpD: 31
Speed: 12 - 13

The Speed is really abysmal though, the perfectionist in me wants it at least higher than that even if it isn't gonna outspeed anything :p
Ramyeon, that is a killer Carbink. It will do everything you need it to do and more. It's incredibly unlikely you'll ever run into a situation where you wish you were faster. Like I said: I have 31 in Speed. I virtually -always- go second.

Tenck

Genderless are such a pain with not being able to switch in a better parent to replace the Ditto and all :/

Welcome to the "Breeding sucks" club. I'm breeding Chansey, and you can't change the damn ditto with another Chansey because they're only female. It's no fun, and gets on my nerves how SpDef seems to be the stat that wont pass down (though Ditto and Chansey both have 31 SpDef).

You may not even want high speed at that. As a lead you'll encounter gyro ball a lot in which case lower speed helps.

ramyeon

Ramyeon, that is a killer Carbink. It will do everything you need it to do and more. It's incredibly unlikely you'll ever run into a situation where you wish you were faster. Like I said: I have 31 in Speed. I virtually -always- go second.
Haha you're right, XY breeding for 5IV 'mons has spoiled me lol. I'll probably just settle for this one :p

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I'm trying to Breed a Shiny Female Litleo and I have a good mother with Modest (is that a good nature for it?) but I need a good Non-American Pokemon to breed it with ... and all the Pokemon I get over Wonder Trade are crap (there are a few good ones but they're females).
Darn, only got a female Litleo.

Neiteio

Haha you're right, XY breeding for 5IV 'mons has spoiled me lol. I'll probably just settle for this one :p
It's not "settling," it's being NOT INSANE, lol. :) You've achieved all the IVs you need for Carbink -- it's diminishing returns at this point, to where you'd have to be in the most excruciatingly situational scenario for the extra Speed to have any relevance whatsoever. He's one of the slowest Pokémon in the game -- you're never ever going to bring Carbink into battle expecting to attack first.

Unless you run Trick Room on Carbink. In which case you're all of the sudden one of the fastest Pokémon in the game, precisely because he's slow. :)

Your Carbink is perfect. Find a Light Clay for him to hold, EV train him and teach him some utility moves, and start testing the waters with him on Battle Spot. He's so much fun and instantly gives your team a huge advantage!

Tenck

Hmmm, Neiteio you bring up a good point (diminishing returns). I think I'll just settle for a 31/x/31/31/31/x since Chansey is already pretty slow. I'm just gonna go insane trying to get that speed IV too.

Neiteio

Hmmm, Neiteio you bring up a good point (diminishing returns). I think I'll just settle for a 31/x/31/31/31/x since Chansey is already pretty slow. I'm just gonna go insane trying to get that speed IV too.
Yeah, I just looked up Chansey and she's base 50 Speed, just like Carbink. There are so few things you outspeed at that level. For walls like Chansey and Carbink, I think it's more fruitful just to start using them in battle and having fun, because their speed isn't going to hold you back -- they were always bound to go second against the vast, vast majority of what's out there. And that's fine -- that's what they're built to endure, and they can take it.

Tenck

Yeah, I just looked up Chansey and she's base 50 Speed, just like Carbink. There are so few things you outspeed at that level. For walls like Chansey and Carbink, I think it's more fruitful just to start using them in battle and having fun, because their speed isn't going to hold you back -- they were always bound to go second against the vast, vast majority of what's out there. And that's fine -- that's what they're built to endure, and they can take it.

Thanks for the reply, and for the indirect help by replying to Ramyeon. Onto breeding more pokemon!

Theorymon

Dunno if you guys care too much, but me and a smogoner named Jibaku had a bunch of Metronome battles, and some of them have signature moves in them! Also a lot of them have pretty weird and funny situations. btw, Seed Flare and Judgment have REALLY badass animations. Aeroblast and Sacred Fire were actually underwhelming though.

Singles Metronome Battle 1: FADW-WWWW-WWWX-RQH2

Singles Metronome Battle 2: 2DAW-WWWW-WWWX-RQYT

Triples Metronome Battle 1: DWUW-WWWW-WWWX-RQJT

Triples Metronome Battle 2: A2TG-WWWW-WWWX-RQKZ

Triples Metronome Battle 3: LCCW-WWWW-WWWX-RQLU

Triples Metronome Battle 4: N4UG-WWWW-WWW2-4K8P

Triples Metronome Battle 5: GYG4-WWWW-WWW2-4K89

Rotations Metronome Battle 1: L43W-WWWW-WWWX-RQMS

Top Bottom