• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO Fest's livestream is absolutely must-see

Somnid

They actually suggested connecting to the WiFi to solve the issues

Right, because it offloads some data to separate infrastructure. The problem is it's grasping at straws because they can't do anything about it. But if it's saturated it's saturated. You basically need a mobile data center and a few miles of fiber optic cable to really fix it.

akileese

A refund, $100 in coins, and a free legendary for dealing with this disaster. I mean, at least they're making an attempt to compensate them.

evanmisha

I'm almost certain there was going to be a raid battle against Lugia but fear of a riot breaking out if something were to prevent people fighting/catching Lugia had them just giving it out to attendants for free. Smart move.

JoeM86

So what are the perks that was unlocked? My wife walked in during the announcement.

Players had to catch the following to unlock each:

Water-type Pokémon - XP Bonus
Grass-type Pokémon - Stardust Bonus
Electric-type Pokémon - Egg Distance Bonus
Rock-type Pokémon - Buddy Distance Bonus
Normal-type Pokémon - Encounter Rate Bonus

Funny thing is that after hearing all this and watching the livestream, this all makes me want to go play my mainline Pokémon games. Especially HeartGold. Well if I had HeartGold.

I just hope that something good comes out of all of this. Besides Legendary Pokémon.

Also I want my Ho-Oh Niantic. Give me that and I'll play your game again.

When does it kick in? Thanks!

Acerac

Banned

So these were the ones that were unlocked?
Were getting all of them.

Keen! I wonder when they activate.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Lugia is the mystery challenge for the next 48 hours worldwide.

I guess the people at the fest already get Lugia though?

The way it was originally planned, the mystery challenge was only for Chicago players from 6-7 PM and would be unlocked if the rest of the world hit the gold reward.

border

It probably got cancelled so everyone got a Lugia as for everyone else level 5 raids with Lugia will appear followed by Articuno

They kept talking it up. "Do you guys wanna know what the Mystery Challenge is.......? Do you guys really really wanna know?"

And then she followed it with "The next Legendary Pokemon is Articuno!!!!!"

Like, so there isn't actually a challenge at all?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Funny thing is that after hearing all this and watching the livestream, this all makes me want to go play my mainline Pokémon games. Especially HeartGold. Well if I had HeartGold.

Well that's the beauty of Pokémon Go is that it's a great marketing tool to bring Pokémon into the public mind, but as a game it is horribly mismanaged by Niantic who clearly does not care about maintaining the Pokémon brand or putting steps into ensuring that the game is functional or fun to play.

Spill the damn tea, girl.
Some of the water stations aren't working
It's humid as hell.
Maybe 5000 seats for 20000 people. Seriously. Everybody is just on grass and photo op bases and barriers.

Nobody can play. You can catch maybe two or three Pokémon before your game errors out and you have to move around and retry for 30 minutes before you get back in.

The gyms all just closed down too
No idea why but they're just down now. Maybe articuno coming? Or they're just dead.

The food is really good though and the workers there seem prepared.

robochimp

I'm at or was at GO fest. Here is my post from the GO topic.

Here is my status update:

My family decided to make a Chicago weekend of this while thing. With my 6 year old and I going to GO fest.

My son and I went down my phone is on ATT couldn't log in couldn't check in.

We went back to the hotel, my wife is on T-mobile so I took her phone, went back checked in, tried to do a raid errors. I walked around hit some of the special pokestops. The special 2K eggs are apparently just any Pokémon inside. I caught a heracross. The park is an Abra nest so I had something to use my pinapps and ultra balls that I stocked up on leading up to GO fest.

Constant network errors and app crashes. Each lounge is a gym and has a special corresponding gym badge. I couldn't spin the instinct and mystic gyms because of the errors.

I headed out and saw a unown on the radar went and got it. I headed back to the hotel caught 5 more unown on the way back.

I just did a quilqva raid with 20 people we're desperate.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It's humid as hell.
Maybe 5000 seats for 20000 people. Seriously. Everybody is just on grass and photo op bases and barriers.

Nobody can play. You can catch maybe two or three Pokémon before your game errors out and you have to move around and retry for 30 minutes before you get back in.

No idea why but they're just down now. Maybe articuno coming? Or they're just dead.

How many people are still there from the original 20,000? I'm guessing a fair amount of people desperate for legendaries are still hanging around?

LurkingFear

Black Phillip is attending Pokemon Go Fest. No wonder the event is doomed. That loathsome trickster speaks with a forked tongue and seeks to corrupt our maidens.

DFWtsCDVwAAdKQv.jpg

Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

It's humid as hell.

All of your complaints are valid except for seats. What do you think happens at Lollapalooza every year, which is the biggest event that happens at Grant Park? They can’t bring in seats for everyone. Y’all sit in the grass or find a spot to chill.

robochimp

How many people are still there from the original 20,000? I'm guessing a fair amount of people desperate for legendaries are still hanging around?

I don't know I was looking at my phone the whole time. 😄

I'm not sure definitely not 20,000.

LordKano

any other brand would not recover from this mess

is the the software's fault or the mobile companies they partnered with?

I think you vastly overestimate the impact that this failed event will have.
It's just very embarassing for anyone involved and they'll probably think twice before organizing such an event again. But it's hardly a big enough deal to destroy a brand, no matter which one.
As far as I know there's no health or security issues. Just an angry mob that can't play their game and will need to be refunded. Shit happens.

robochimp

any other brand would not recover from this mess

is the the software's fault or the mobile companies they partnered with?

No way to support the data demands through the cell networks. Throw in already shitty coverage from some cell companies and the game is going to be throwing up network errors.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
All of your complaints are valid except for seats. What do you think happens at Lollapalooza every year, which is the biggest event that happens at Grant Park? They can’t bring in seats for everyone. Y’all sit in the grass or find a spot to chill.

Poke Go for an event always felt like a logistical nightmare due to how it's constructed ie unlike at a concert or sporting event the app wants you to be moving vs stationary.

I think you vastly overestimate the impact that this failed even will have.
It's just very embarassing for anyone involved and they'll probably think twice before organizing such an event again. But it's hardly a big enough deal to destroy a brand, no matter which one.
As far as I know there's no health or security issues. Just an angry mob that can't play their game and will need to be refunded. Shit happens.

ok it just seemed like a big deal since I have been following trainer tips and other youtubers being invited to this event

No way to support the data demands through the cell networks. Throw in already shitty coverage from some cell companies and the game is going to be throwing up network errors.

this was easy to predict the number of people that would show up to this, and slap on the first legendaries after the kind of hype this game has gotten over the past year, your first major event did not plan for a surge of users is weird.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
It's because there were too many people.

Lollapalooza rents mini cell towers so this doesn't happen and it appears that Niantic didn't care to do so or didn't have the foresight to get it done.

It was a clip of a "Team Instinct Correspondent" trying to hype up the stream in the midst of boos, "We can't plays" and other crazy chatter. And her mic kept going out randomly. And she's being heckled. And it's hot.

It was a perfect storm of correspondent disaster.

Found that part. Them just keeping the camera rolling as she slowly loses her smile and drops her head down is crazy
Even without the mic cuts she seemed to try to rush through what she was saying and it had clarity problems.

why is this lady crying out of excitement for this pokemon? artikuno? are they being gifted it or something?

Wow the host is starting to seem kinda pissed, not that I blame her.

Going back and watching thus moment and she seems like she's about to lose it making the annoy before regaining her composure near the end.

JB2448

So stream is offline now?

What happens now
There was a short "Thanks For Watching" splash screen, so the stream is definitely done. The park starts clearing out at 7:00 (ten minutes from this post), and Lugia will start appearing in raids worldwide within the next 48 hours.

Top Bottom