• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO Fest's livestream is absolutely must-see

Hydrus

I hope this is a lesson for the Pokemon company, and that is to never go with a tiny developer like Niantic to handle something as massive as a mobile game like GO. Imagine if this was a Pokemon mmo lol.

LordKano

I'm still trying to figure out if the person got stuck in their suit, or if a crazed man ran up to hug it :x

Both. The guy's costume deflated and it could have been dangerous for him so a member of the staff ran to remove him from the scene, but it was so sudden than the security guys thought it was someone from the public and went to arrest him. Once the confusion was cleared they fixed the costume and let the dancer come back but it deflated again. Since you see nothing in these costumes he needed help again.

I hope this is a lesson for the Pokemon company, and that is to never go with a tiny developer like Niantic to handle something as massive as a mobile game like GO. Imagine if this was a Pokemon mmo lol.

But it is a MMO.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

pretty sure an all online mobile at once event is a total clusterfuck whoever is in charge.
i can't even begin to think how to make shit like that fool proof

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
https://clips.twitch.tv/SuspiciousHelpfulAsparagusDatSheffy

VfGb.gif

I mean, her mic cut out, which makes it sound 10x worse. Not even that bad. Give people a break.

MUnited83

For you.
Honestly, why does Niantic seem to be so piss poorly managed? They take forever to come out with any new content, fix bugs, and they can't even figure "hey, we'll be having several thousand people come to one place, better make sure our servers are doing well and hey, perhaps do some more upgrading to be sure".
The servers were actually fine throughout the event. They never went down.

The issue is having 30k people in one location doing a activity that needs constant use of phone data.

Hydrus

pretty sure an all online mobile at once event is a total clusterfuck whoever is in charge.
i can't even begin to think how to make shit like that fool proof

Maybe make a smaller event with less people for starters? I went to a Go meet up last year in Southern California and there was about 4000 people there. Didn't have any issues and it wasn't even an official event. Just something put on by fans.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Both. The guy's costume deflated and it could have been dangerous for him so a member of the staff ran to remove him from the scene, but it was so sudden than the security guys thought it was someone from the public and went to arrest him. Once the confusion was cleared they fixed the costume and let the dancer come back but it deflated again. Since you see nothing in these costumes he needed help again.

Heh, that's gold. I've seen a gif before of an idol group, where one of the girls was not in sync with the other girls. She was at the end, and I guess it was an "emergency" situation, as a guy in a suit took her off stage. It was... kinda scary, especially with that assumption and no real context. (EDIT: Found the video. It was a crazed fan...)

I'll just await the inevitable "cringe compilation" on YouTube. I think this GoFest was overly ambitious on Niantics part

Niantic being overly ambitious is kind of the story of the company, going all the way back to when they were an internal startup within Google trying to get Ingress off the ground.

Wasn't the first Mincecraft con also a shitshow?

If they've made money from it, I don't see why they wouldn't do the event again.

As someone who goes to Lollapalooza every year at Grant Park, a ton of people in that one area kills any cell service. I can never use anything outside of texting for the 3/4 days of Lolla. They should have thought about this and had actual wifi hot spots for the event. Seems like a piss poor attempt to cash in on people still playing.

13ruce

Banned
I kinda feel bad for the PR people on stage they probably even have nothing to do with Niantic's server problems etc and they get the blame. Hopefully they don't get fired that would be fucking sad.

akileese

As someone who goes to Lollapalooza every year at Grant Park, a ton of people in that one area kills any cell service. They should have thought about this and had actual wifi hot spots for the event. Seems like a piss poor attempt to cash in on people still playing.

Yeah I kinda assumed they'd work with AT&T to get hotspots setup all over the event for corporate sponsorship or something. Obviously Niantic can't control overloaded cell towers, but god damn at least work with providers to wireless hotspots. Anything to reduce the stress on the networks.

evanmisha

I have been periodically archiving this so fingers crossed when it ends it doesn't immediately get pulled and I can grab the entire feed.

It's really not, and I live on the lowest end of what can even be described as a "city."

It's been a really, really poor app from Day 1, and some of the bugs that still exist now have been there since the very beginning.

I quit playing when they effectively banned all rooted users, because if it comes between, "Being able to do cool things with my phone that have nothing to do with PKGO" or "Playing PKGO" well, it was fun Niantic.

border

Yeah I kinda assumed they'd work with AT&T to get hotspots setup all over the event for corporate sponsorship or something.

Hilariously enough, the two main sponsors of the event are Sprint and Boost Mobile.

It's really not, and I live on the lowest end of what can even be described as a "city."

You don't have to love the game, but objectively speaking it is not a "barely usable mess."

akileese

Hilariously enough, the two main sponsors of the event are Sprint and Boost Mobile.

You don't have to love the game, but objectively speaking it is not a "barely usable mess."

Well I hope Niantic gets a refund on their sponsorship fees since from the sound of it, they didn't provide a damn thing.

A summary of what happened for someone who just finished work ?

Cell networks choked under the pressure of so many people in a tight space, players are pissed off since it's hot and can't play. A ton of people can't even get in due to inadequate staff to check people in. It's a clusterfuck.

JoeM86

A summary of what happened for someone who just finished work ?

Players at the event can't play due to celluar congestion.
Lines took 3+ hours to get in, even though it was an event they had set amounts for.
Large amounts of booing

Really? A fucking mess.

Sprint and Boost is laughable. Really should have partnered without Verizon and AT&T. I don’t get it, even smaller festivals, like the Taste of Chicago, have cell tower overload issues. This should have been common sense.

SoulUnison

Banned

Almost any time I try to do one of the basic functions and appeals of the game, i.e. capturing, or a Gym Battle, there's a roughly 30-40% chance I'll run into some sort of error that prevents me from completing the objective and/or requires me to Force Quit the app.

Somnid

People saying they should put up hotspots, you realize the network still has to carry the data, right? It's not like buying another router for your home.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I knew it would be a mess but this is just better than anything I could have imagined.

evanmisha

Isn't the legendary raid supposed to pop in 20 minutes? They said they were gonna announce the results in 5 minutes like 20 minutes ago. Tick tock

wait so what happened here.

It was a clip of a "Team Instinct Correspondent" trying to hype up the stream in the midst of boos, "We can't plays" and other crazy chatter. And her mic kept going out randomly. And she's being heckled. And it's hot.

It was a perfect storm of correspondent disaster.

MXRider

People saying they should put up hotspots, you realize the network still has to carry the data, right? It's not like buying another router for your home.

Chicago has google fiber, run some long ethernet cords to tons of heavy duty routers, boom done internet.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
"It's been a pleasure to have a bottle thrown at me".

I mean this gal has earned legendary host status, but at the same time I also assume she's an android.

Edit: Take it back, she's Team Mystic scum.

Top Bottom