• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO launches today in 26 more countries (RIP servers)

Nintendo gets 31% across both platforms while Google stands to get 53% from Android and 23% from iOS. I'm saying overall they're making the most.

Yeah, I see.

But the most Niantic sells in the Apple platform, the closer this distance gets, cause Nintendo has the majority of the cut in iOS systems.

Unless the Android version is the best selling one, then you are totally right.

Sad to see people quoting this when it's so obviously just a bunch of nonsense, especially considering it assumes Niantic gets nothing, which is unfathomable.

Niantic was paid to make the game, and some more as an investiment. I believe the company isn't getting part in the share.

Edit: beaten

Datschge

Regarding who earns the revenue we actually don't know anything about how the shares in Niantic are split between Google, Nintendo and The Pokemon Company, or whether they are really the only shareholder to begin with. 1/3 seems too convenient. Furthermore this assumes Niantic doesn't have any licensing agreements, with Google for using the whole Maps stack, and with The Pokemon Company for using the Pokemon IP.

mokeyjoe

Pretty much bored of the game already. I'm just not seeing the point. Why bother picking a Pokemon at the start when it doesn't even do anything? Is it pretty much just chance if they break out of the poke ball?

Its probably been mentioned loads but you should be able to fight the wild Pokemon otherwise there's very little engagement from the player.

See a Pokemon, tap it, throw the ball, done and repeat.

That's still more 'gameplay' than Ingress.

Most of the point of these games, if Ingress is anything to go by, is the faction vs faction stuff and the teamwork side, which hasn't really come into play yet. So yeah, right now it's just wandering around catching Pokémon.

oti

Banned
it would be kinda funny if this game was not as popular in Japan

it is free so hard to call it a flop or bomb but imagine if Japan just did not like it for some weird twist

After seeing a thousand people gathered for an Ingress event in Japan today I think it's obvious what kind of hit PoGo will be over there

Dude, chill out.

Dude's been complaining about weedles since earlier and the moment he steps out of his house he complains he finds a weedle when he expects unique pokemon that are probably not spawning outside his house and very probably somewhere else. Like my neighborhood is full of pidgeys, ekans, and rattata and the occasional randomly uncommon pokemon. But most of my diversity was taken when I went outside my neighborhood. Into parks, near rivers, outside malls.

legacyzero

Banned
gif9jso3.gif

Azuran

Banned
There are ways to easily play it if you really want to.

I'm already playing but it's ridiculous Canada of all places still doesn't have the game. I don't remember the last time we got screwed hard like this with something Nintendo related.

Freaking Australia got it before us. AUSTRALIA. It that doesn't say anything, nothing will.

I'm already playing but it's ridiculous Canada of all places still doesn't have the game. I don't remember the last time we got screwed hard like this with something Nintendo related.

Freaking Australia got it before us. AUSTRALIA. It that doesn't say anything, nothing will.

There's a reason for that. A lot of mobile apps that depend on server strength use Australia and New Zealand as a barometer of activity, mainly because while the area is quite large, the population density isn't so big that it would overload anything the first time around. So if a launch in Australia is stable enough, they can see whether or not to add more servers for more releases.

And then the US got added in and everything melted.

There's a reason for that. A lot of mobile apps that depend on server strength use Australia and New Zealand as a barometer of activity, mainly because while the area is quite large, the population density isn't so big that it would overload anything the first time around.
And guess what other country they use as a barometer? Go on, guess.

mstevens

I find it very hard to believe that niantic gets 0% of profits. What motivates them to keep the game going in the long run? Why pay for the servers forever if they've already made all they're going to make? Why keep paying developers to push new features and patches?

And guess what other country they use as a barometer? Go on, guess.

I'm just telling you how it works in this case.

Also I personally believe that Niantic is still getting money through the app, it's just that an amount of that will still go to its three primary investors.

Resilient

Don't rag on Australia just because you can't play a video game. I'm glad we got it before you guys. I'm playing it right now!

Chaos17

I find it very hard to believe that niantic gets 0% of profits. What motivates them to keep the game going in the long run? Why pay for the servers forever if they've already made all they're going to make? Why keep paying developers to push new features and patches?

They aren't getting 0% just that people like to make some theory out of no where from 0 data available :p

WaterAstro

Remember how when Wonderful 101 flopped, everyone noted that it wouldn't be detrimental to Platinum because they were already paid to make it?

Niantic was paid to make the game, and some more as an investiment. I believe the company isn't getting part in the share.

Nintendo didn't pay for the development. Google, TPC, and Nintendo invested in Niantic, not Pokemon GO. Niantic uses that funding to develop the game, makes the money, and pays back the investments. They also probably have to pay out licensing cost, but that's it.

Anything beyond paying back the investors is Niantics apart from the standard 30% Google Play Store cut.

Remember, Niantic is self-published with Pokemon GO.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

That is insane. There's no way they would do such a deal.

You realize they are the company publishing the game to the app stores, right?

chrono01

What upsets me most isn't even that Pokémon Go isn't available in Canada yet, it's Niantic's complete silence on it. If it were for all of North America, sure. However, the fact that the US has it (and have for a while), but yet no mention on Canada. All they have to say is "We overestimated demand for this title and are currently working to expand servers to the rest of North America" or something. JUST SAY SOMETHING! And yet, they're not saying a single word, while they continue to provide the game to every other Country under the sun.

I know there's a work-around you can do so you can play the game in Canada, but it's ridiculous that one part of NA has the game publicly available and not the other. It's not even a soft-launch type of deal. :(

Mik2121

What upsets me most isn't even that Pokémon Go isn't available in Canada yet, it's Niantic's complete silence on it. If it were for all of North America, sure. However, the fact that the US has it (and have for a while), but yet no mention on Canada. All they have to say is "We overestimated demand for this title and are currently working to expand servers to the rest of North America" or something. JUST SAY SOMETHING! And yet, they're not saying a single word, while they continue to provide the game to every other Country under the sun.

I know there's a work-around you can do so you can play the game in Canada, but it's ridiculous that one part of NA has the game publicly available and not the other. It's not even a soft-launch type of deal. :(
You at least can play it easily by getting the app from the US store or downloading the apk file. In Japan we are actively locked out (our maps have zero data on them) and the release date is "sometime this month hopefully" because the servers aren't powerful enough after the game has been a week out and beta tests where companies usually test server stress.

chrono01

You at least can play it easily by getting the app from the US store or downloading the apk file. In Japan we are actively locked out (our maps have zero data on them) and the release date is "sometime this month hopefully" because the servers aren't powerful enough after the game has been a week out and beta tests where companies usually test server stress.
Yeah, there's an alternate way to play for us in Canada at least, I really feel bad for the Pokémon fans in Japan. That must really be frustrating. :(

I hope you all receive some positive news soon.

wmlk

Are there (potential) negatives to creating an US account to play Pokémon Go? Like with emails and such?

chrono01

Are there (potential) negatives to creating an US account to play Pokémon Go? Like with emails and such?
Shouldn't be.

The only issue might come when you want to make an IAP, since (I believe) that will require a US address for your credit card. Aside from that, it's just a simple login via email.

23qwerty

That's odd, did Japan get Ingress?

wmlk

Shouldn't be.

The only issue might come when you want to make an IAP, since (I believe) that will require a US address for your credit card. Aside from that, it's just a simple login via email.

As chrono01 says, the account you use for Pokemon Go syncs across all your devices, regardless of region.

I was thinking for future events. Like, if I register on Pokémon Go with my email and then I try to do some affiliated event with McDonald's in Canada.

Mik2121

That's odd, did Japan get Ingress?

Yep, we got it. It's apparently one of the most active countries, too.

We just had the largest Ingress event ever yesterday:

7K1j2shlgqp5LpXIHGMn3KQo3JOZ9sA1YgeLuQCjbe0RHGzh3GwNQrILDwN-g1OgXJ-ddEOtetA=w1920-h1080-rw-no

That's not the amount of people but the score. However Ingress estimated around 15k players gathered for the event in Tokyo's Odaiba.

Solobbos

Still waiting for Miitomo in Scandinavia, so stfu, guv!

I was thinking for future events. Like, if I register on Pokémon Go with my email and then I try to do some affiliated event with McDonald's in Canada.

For things that don't exist yet, I really can't say. And if anybody happened to know, I'm certain that they really can't say.

I get the concern, it's just too early.

EndMerit

Well damnit. I was going to get the game, but turns out my phone only goes up to Android version 4.2.2.
Guess I'll just have to play Pokemon on my 3DS like a loser.

DJKhaled

I don't understand, Australia gets apps first most of the time, because Australia and NZ are a good way to test the apps, also Australia's population isn't radically different from Canada's some calm your shit man. You're having a meltdown in this thread over a freakin mobile game.

big_z

aren't you screwed out of in game purchases if you use a US account in Canada? right now its not a big deal but who knows what they'll add in the future.

it doesn't make any sense that they skipped Canada. the % of gaming population is quite small up here.

inner-G

Banned
Dang that sucks about Canada.

I played some across the straight in Victoria on my US phone - Not sure how that worked logistically. (I was either roaming data or on wi-fi)

Galang

Banned
aren't you screwed out of in game purchases if you use a US account in Canada? right now its not a big deal but who knows what they'll add in the future.

it doesn't make any sense that they skipped Canada. the % of gaming population is quite small up here.

Yup. You do need a US visa to make any sort of purchases on their store. Also prepaid cards don't work either last time I tried

Top Bottom