• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Gold / Silver for DS announced

TP

Captain N said:
anyone saving up for the Gold / Silver DSi that needs to come with this game?

I didn't buy a DSi at launch because I knew Nintendo would release better options in Japan

pokemon_ds_dp_01.jpg

nintendods_pikachu.jpg

96vkmu.jpg

2gwuxd0.jpg

hemtae said:
It wouldn't follow you. Also, it might not be present in future pokemon games seeing as how it wasn't present in GSC and the previous continents wasn't in RSE or DPP
I think thats because of the type of games they were.

Yellow was Pika's game based on the anime so they make that feature to show that even more. GS was also pretty much the "part 2" to RBY which is why it cramed in 2 lands.

I think they learnt their lesson about ADDING cool features and taking them away with RS (C had animations and was SOOO COOL for it but than RS came along and they were taken out . . . and it added to the decline in sells. But DP has animations and it turned the series around for people like me)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Blu_LED said:
Did you guys know Gamefreak has a blog? They should really do an English counterpart to this, because that blog that the one guy runs isn't really that good.

http://translate.google.com/transla...co.jp/blog/staff/&sl=ja&tl=en&history_state0=

I find it funny that I have been playing Pokemon for about 11 years now, and thats the first time I have ever seen the Gamefreak offices.

I don't know about that exact blog, but the director of most Pokemon games (Masuda) has his blog in English as well as Japanese:

http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/dir_english/

BooJoh

Jeo said:
I didn't buy a DSi at launch because I knew Nintendo would release better options in Japan
As long as you don't mind being locked into only the Japanese DSiWare store and possibly region-locked DSi-only games. (Nobody really knows if DSi-only cartridge games will be region-locked or not.)

markot

Banned
Honestly, HM moves make me sick of pokemon these days.

I got up to the champions thingy at the end of Pearl and just gave up. Having to have that one HM piggy, and having to go all the way back if you happen to have left one like flash or co.... blech...

The series would be so much more fun if they cut some of the flab off it.

I love the pokemon, the collecting, the lvling up (Well... not so much if its too grindy) and stuff, but some of the series is in desperate need to move on.

But then again, when they sell a million copies on launch every time, there isnt much incentive to... push the envelope.

There is so much untapped potential in the series though, makes me sad >.< (I mean a decent console game for one! And the recipe for a great mmo that would easily rival Wow...)

Wow, someone posted this over at Serebii (linking to this thread) and all the people over there are bitching about how much space it would take up because "if they don't do anything different than why have the extra sprites?".

I thought there was mad shiny love over there . . . hell, Im a shiny hunter and just thinking about how balls crazy this could be is making me want to either fap or cry . . . soon I do both?

Shiggie

Black-Wind said:
Wow, someone posted this over at Serebii (linking to this thread) and all the people over there are bitching about how much space it would take up because "if they don't do anything different than why have the extra sprites?".

I thought there was mad shiny love over there . . . hell, Im a shiny hunter and just thinking about how balls crazy this could be making me want to either fap or cry . . . soon I do both?
lol link please.

Eteric Rice

Can't you trade people for Japanese Pokemon as well?

So if there's 493 pokemon, and you want to capture a shiney version of each one, of each gender, in both languages, that would be...

Oh fuck that...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Eteric Rice said:

I'd trade my mom for a surfing Raichu.

As it stands, I have yet to beat PBR to achieve exactly that. D:

Wii Will Rock U said:
Really? Then I have to come out and say it.

The game is going to have new additions to the gender and breeding portions of the game. An example of these has actually already been revealed to the the public though many people don't realize what it means:

pichu.png

Certain Pokemon will gain new looks based on their parents and while I don't know any specifics right now, I know it's going to be very in-depth.

PHEW. There we go. Once you threw the "say or be banned" card out there I knew I had to spill the beans.

Honestly, though, that is IT. That is the bottom of the barrel. I have no more information on the game or its release or anything else. I have told you all EVERYTHING I know. :lol

:lol really wow ..... but now i can do the easy thing and breed with diddo any more

I dont want odd looking pokemon looking like this

29crlzq.png

Chozo

Eteric Rice said:

So if there's 493 pokemon, and you want to capture a shiney version of each one, of each gender, in both languages, that would be...

Oh fuck that...

PC only has 18 boxes of 30 Pokemon each, so you barely have enough space for every Pokemon in the Pokedex + alternate forms.

Damn, those Pokey forums are something else . . .

Bulba is having some debate over walking your pokemon . . . something about how the park was owned by someone so you had to follow their rules or something.

Anyway, Im going to start useing this gif more often . . .

2r5f6vq.gif

Ravidrath

So...

Anyone else find it a bit random that the Legendary birds made appearances in Platinum?

These will be the first remakes to feature version-exclusive Legendaries, so I'm wondering/hoping if we might see some new crossover quest for the other Legendary, like with Regigigas in D/P.

So, say, if you have all three Legendary Birds in your party, you can access an area to fight/capture the Legendary not on the cover of your game.

JaMarco

markot said:
Honestly, HM moves make me sick of pokemon these days.

I got up to the champions thingy at the end of Pearl and just gave up. Having to have that one HM piggy, and having to go all the way back if you happen to have left one like flash or co.... blech...

The series would be so much more fun if they cut some of the flab off it.

I love the pokemon, the collecting, the lvling up (Well... not so much if its too grindy) and stuff, but some of the series is in desperate need to move on.

But then again, when they sell a million copies on launch every time, there isnt much incentive to... push the envelope.

There is so much untapped potential in the series though, makes me sad >.< (I mean a decent console game for one! And the recipe for a great mmo that would easily rival Wow...)
I COMPLETELY agree with this post

CassSept

Ravidrath said:
These will be the first remakes to feature version-exclusive Legendaries
Wrong, you could get both legendary birds in one game. You got wing for the other bird (Lugia in Gold and Ho-oh in Silver) in Pewter City, so it was possible to catch both of them in one game.
Only version exclusive legendaries are Kyogre and Groudon (both obtainable in Emerald) and Palkia and Dialga (both optainable in Platinum).

Ravidrath

CassSept said:
Wrong, you could get both legendary birds in one game. You got wing for the other bird (Lugia in Gold and Ho-oh in Silver) in Pewter City, so it was possible to catch both of them in one game.
Only version exclusive legendaries are Kyogre and Groudon (both obtainable in Emerald) and Palkia and Dialga (both optainable in Platinum).

Hmm, OK... Guess it's been too long since I played G/S/C!

larvi

Andrex said:
I'd trade my mom for a surfing Raichu.

As it stands, I have yet to beat PBR to achieve exactly that. D:

I got a pickachu with Surf from Pokemon Box on my emerald. Unfortunately there's no way to transer it over to D/P/Pt :(

Eteric Rice

Case said:
I COMPLETELY agree with this post

Me as well.

Give me a fucking surf board, weed wacker, chisle, etc. Don't force me to use up a move space just so I can progress.

God I wish I could write them a letter or something.

Dreavus

Eteric Rice said:
Me as well.

Give me a fucking surf board, weed wacker, chisle, etc. Don't force me to use up a move space just so I can progress.

God I wish I could write them a letter or something.

That's what I was thinking. It doesn't even have to be actual tools! The Pokemon universe in general seems relatively advanced for a civilization, so I'm sure the hero's poke-watch/tool/dex/whatever-it-is-this-time could become some kind of multi-function device. It could be augmented to cut through bushes, or convert to a flotation device for traveling across water, or emit a bright enough light to traverse a cave, or even change a small flying machine for traveling between towns.

That's just one idea, but I don't really care what they do. This HM bullshit needs to stop.

Firestorm

Did people actually want 3D for this game? Ugh. Thank god it's keeping the style of DPP. 3D on DS is disgusting =/ It's not 1996 anymore. Beautiful 2D > 1st gen 3D.

Edit: By the way, making sprites different would be a MUCH better way of "individualizing" Pokemon than the current IV system. I'd say the problem here is time though, not space.

At this point, I think they're just too scared of messing with a winning formula. They don't know what change would be the downhill slope for Pokemon, so they don't bother changing much of anything.

Ravidrath

The HM system could definitely use an overhaul, but I wouldn't expect them to change it.

Not that there's any way to actually contact them and have a meaningful discussion about it, but the game is about Pokemon, not the trainer and his gadgets. It's why they do it now, and it would be a prereq for any proposed "solution."

I think my ideal solution would be to make them "Legendary Artifacts," like Kyogre's Scale, Ho-oh's Feather, etc. and then you have the option of "drawing to the move out" using a Tutor to teach the actual move to a Pokemon. This makes them even more about Pokemon, and also potentially tie into the game's story.

Firestorm said:
Did people actually want 3D for this game? Ugh. Thank god it's keeping the style of DPP. 3D on DS is disgusting =/ It's not 1996 anymore. Beautiful 2D > 1st gen 3D.

Edit: By the way, making sprites different would be a MUCH better way of "individualizing" Pokemon than the current IV system. I'd say the problem here is time though, not space.

Yeah, I'm a little baffled by this sort of wanton tech fetishism. Full 3D, especially on the DS, would really hurt the game's look, I think. Even on more powerful systems, I think it'd just end up generic and personality-free, unless they went all-out to comes up with a unique rendering style, say, emulating Sugimori's coloring style.

But, really, this is probably more about money than anything - a move to 3D would drastically reduce their profitability. Even if you were to make only the overworld 3D and not have 3D monsters in battle, etc., we're talking about a lot of time and money spent for very little impact. People never have and never will play these games for their graphics.

I'm alright with revamping HMs. Except for Surf. Surf is awesome.

Hell, if they made HM moves scalable in some way, I'd be completely on board. Let me upgrade Cut from a slightly better Tackle to something closer to Slash. Let me make Rock Smash actually useful. By the end of the game those moves just aren't desirable anymore.

Actually, I think I'm on to something here. They should just do this.

Ravidrath

Banana Kid said:
I'm alright with revamping HMs. Except for Surf. Surf is awesome.

Hell, if they made HM moves scalable in some way, I'd be completely on board. Let me upgrade Cut from a slightly better Tackle to something closer to Slash. Let me make Rock Smash actually useful. By the end of the game those moves just aren't desirable anymore.

Actually, I think I'm on to something here. They should just do this.

Not really where you were going, I think, but kind of interesting... adding overworld modifiers to existing classes of moves. Would be another layer added onto existing moves, sort of like the contest moves.

Cut: Any claw or blade attack, such as Scratch, Slash, Psycho Cut, etc.
Strength: Any tackling attack, such as Tackle, Body Slam, etc.

Etc.

Could still keep the HMs around to teach Pokemon moves guaranteed to fulfill those conditions in a pinch, if you just like using the moves, etc., but the badges would "let you use cutting attacks in the field."

Forkball said:
I was quoted there. I feel like a internet celebrity now.
You feel like a celebrity? They are using me as a source now!

Seriously, my posts are now on the Serebii forums and even on the banned Nintendo blog's front page! :lol

Shiggie

Ravidrath said:
Not really where you were going, I think, but kind of interesting... adding overworld modifiers to existing classes of moves. Would be another layer added onto existing moves, sort of like the contest moves.

Cut: Any claw or blade attack, such as Scratch, Slash, Psycho Cut, etc.
Strength: Any tackling attack, such as Tackle, Body Slam, etc.

Etc.

Could still keep the HMs around to teach Pokemon moves guaranteed to fulfill those conditions in a pinch, if you just like using the moves, etc., but the badges would "let you use cutting attacks in the field."
I really like that. Great idea man.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Wii Will Rock U said:

Seriously, my posts are now on the Serebii forums and even on the banned Nintendo blog's front page! :lol

Your friend is boned.

Zilch

Banned
Wii Will Rock U said:

Welcome to GAF.

CassSept said:

Latios or Latias, couldnt you only also only choose one or the other?

Blueblur1

I agree on the HMs taking up space. I always teach 'em to the shitty Pokemon (I got a Bibarel with both Rock Smash and Cut, for example).

I have a question though. What is the deal with having a Pikachu with Surf? Is Surf actually a decent move? Could Pikachu at one point learn that move? I'm confused by what you guys keep typing. @_@

Bizzyb

Banned
Can someone please explain to me how Pokemon fans have tolerated playing the SAME game over and over for the last 15 years?

Don't get me wrong, it's a good formula, but it's the SAME formula. I could understand if it had at least made the jump to 3d but it hasn't (not really anyways). I mean you go around town, talk to some people, collect pokemon, "level them" and beat the gym leader. Wash, rinse and repeat.

I bought the original Red way back whe , and recently purchased Diamond, and it's a great game, but ONLY in moderation b/c its more or less the SAME damn experience. It hasn't even gone MMO yet! or on a console, Done proper.

How does Nintendo get away with this? And why do fans allow them??

Captain N

Bizzyb said:
Can someone please explain to me how Pokemon fans have tolerated playing the SAME game over and over for the last 15 years?

Don't get me wrong, it's a good formula, but it's the SAME formula. I could understand if it had at least made the jump to 3d but it hasn't (not really anyways). I mean you go around town, talk to some people, collect pokemon, "level them" and beat the gym leader. Wash, rinse and repeat.

I bought the original Red way back whe , and recently purchased Diamond, and it's a great game, but ONLY in moderation b/c its more or less the SAME damn experience. It hasn't even gone MMO yet! or on a console, Done proper.

How does Nintendo get away with this? And why do fans allow them??

It works for Nintendo with pretty much all of their series, but this one is the worst. I think some of it has to do with allowing you to pass Pokemon on from past games.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Bizzyb said:
Can someone please exlain to me how Pokemon fans have tolerated playing the SAME game over and over for the last 15 years?

Because it's fun.

It also helps that the core demographic hasn't changed, so there's always an influx of new fans.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Jeo said:

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/images/kotaku/2008/08/pokemon_ds_dp_01.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.pokemondiamondpearl.info/dp/nintendods_pikachu.jpg[/IMG]

http://i42.tinypic.com/96vkmu.jpg[/IMG]

http://i43.tinypic.com/2gwuxd0.jpg[/IMG]

And I love this Rayquaza SP. Maybe we can hope for a nice Lugia/Ho-Oh DSi.

3518825448_6a4cbfd03e.jpg

Top Bottom