• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Gold / Silver for DS announced

Eteric Rice said:
158.gif

Isn't this the happiest looking motherfucker ever?

He's happy because we'll be playing together again in Gold/Silver!
2rw2noh.jpg

Mr. Sam

If this is DSi exclusive, or even DSi enhance, I'm gonna have to get a DSi.

Which reminds me - some guy still has my original DS that I lent him. It's been months. Not cool.

Hobbun

Nuclear Muffin said:
Why wouldn't you? WiFi is standard tech and DSi is fully compatible with DS software.

I don't mean from person to person, I mean your Pokemon from your DS carts as there is only one slot.

Speaking of that, how do you transfer Pokemon from lets say Diamond to Pearl, or Platinum?

Pokemon from GBA games is easy, you stick the GBA game in slot 2 and the DS game in slot 1, and transfer.

But how do you transfer from DS game to DS game?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
BGBW said:
Can't wait to play the bug catching contest in 3D!

Also Mystery Gift.

god yes! i hope they add the new bug types to the mix. there arent that many, buy still there should be more

Regulus Tera said:

Gold said:
Its well-developed jaws are powerful and capable of crushing anything. Even its trainer must be careful.

Silver said:
It is small but rough and tough. It won't hesitate to take a bite out of anything that moves.

Crystal said:
This rough critter chomps at any moving object it sees. Turning your back on it is not recommended.

R/S/E said:
Despite the smallness of its body, Totodile's jaws are very powerful. While the Pokémon may think it is just playfully nipping, its bite has enough power to cause serious injury.

Croconaw:

Crystal said:
The tips of its fangs are slanted backward. Once those fangs clamp down, the prey has no hope of escape.

R/S said:
Once Croconaw has clamped its jaws on its foe, it will absolutely not let go. Because the tips of its fangs are forked back like barbed fishhooks, they become impossible to remove when they have sunk in.

Feraligatr:

Gold said:
When it bites with its massive and powerful jaws, it shakes its head and savagely tears its victim up.

yeah have fun with that one

On another note, it's kinda odd how Crystal's animations were actual animations, whereas half of the Emerald animations are just the sprite being moved back and forth, rotated and scaled.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
EmCeeGramr said:
*Pokédex stuff*
yeah have fun with that one
Dexter lies. He thinks that the farts of Pikachu burn with the power of one thousand suns. He over exaggerates everything. Never trust that computer voice.

I haven't owned a Pokemon game since Red and Blue, but does each lineup have a completely different set of pokemon in them?

Basically, do Gold and Silver have Pokemon that you'll never find in Platinum and such?

Also, do you guys reckon that Crystal will end up on the DS?

cvxfreak

U K Narayan said:
I haven't owned a Pokemon game since Red and Blue, but does each lineup have a completely different set of pokemon in them?

Basically, do Gold and Silver have Pokemon that you'll never find in Platinum and such?

Also, do you guys reckon there will be a Platinum-like release for Gold and Silver?
Titanium?

Basically, yes. There's a little bit of overlap, but I think Nintendo wants you to go online with the games and trade anyway.

I doubt a Crystal remake will hit. We never did get a remake of Pokemon Yellow (or Blue) either.

Teknoman

Cant see how any one would call the graphical effort lazy even if it was just G/S/C remade using an improved platinum engine. It would be close to the same caliber of MM1 -> Megaman Powered Up. Or Bionic Commando -> Rearmed (maybe not THAT far, but im sure my point is clear).

EDIT: I wonder if they'll find a way to place Kanto and Hoenn starters in HG/SS.

Jel0man

I might just have to buy a DS again. I've been waiting for these remakes for so long and now it's finally happening:D. Going back to Kanto, Johto and who knows. Awesome.

vhfive

jman2050 said:
Typholosion? Ampharos? Totodile?

Pfft

There's only one true badass in G/S/C

fe47j6.png

Respect.
this man speaks truth.
soul silver for me
why would anyone get heart gold

clay_ghost said:
Is it just me but why does the pokemon sprites for G/S/C looks better than the GBA/DS versions?

I think it's just you.

And I really didn't like the starters of the 2nd gen. Totodile, much like Buizel, has a fucking COOL first stage thats fucked over by a suck ass final stage (heres hoping they give Buizel a 3rd stage in the 5th gen or a gender splite evol! I like how Gallade and Frosless turned out).

The only reason I picked Totodile was because his final looked better than the other 2.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Heart Gold? That's kinda lamesauce.....

I may actually have to buy Soul Silver. I originally bought Gold, so... I guess it's time for a change. Then again, I'll take which ever version has Growlithe in it.

Cannot wait.

ElyrionX

I've only ever played two Pokemon games: Yellow and Diamond. They're great fun but I still can't believe that for two games that were released so far apart and with such a huge catalog of monsters built up since Yellow, I was still fighting endless fucking Geodudes in the dungeons in Diamond. They could at least increase the variety of monsters you fight against, otherwise what would be the point of having so many monsters?

ElyrionX said:
I've only ever played two Pokemon games: Yellow and Diamond. They're great fun but I still can't believe that for two games that were released so far apart and with such a huge catalog of monsters built up since Yellow, I was still fighting endless fucking Geodudes in the dungeons in Diamond. They could at least increase the variety of monsters you fight against, otherwise what would be the point of having so many monsters?

There are actually only around 20 or so Pokemon that have appeared in every version.

Geodudes just happen to be one of them.

Defuser

cvxfreak said:
I doubt a Crystal remake will hit. We never did get a remake of Pokemon Yellow (or Blue) either.
Never like crystal.The fact that I have to capture all 3 damn dogs just to get Ho-oh is super irritating.

Awesome news, loved Silver.

Now Nintendo, could I please have a remake of Pokemon Yellow for the DS? I'd like to be able to teach Pikachu surf without having to go through all of the trouble one currently has to go through...

Azure J

Ampharos was bloddy powerful in G/S/C. You weren't playing the game right if you didn't try to keep this guy as your main electric type during the majority of the Johto run. :lol

Defuser

You know,in the end Gamefreak never address the problem of starter grass pokemon being the worst of all 3 starters.
If I'm using Fire pokemon,I can use thunder punch against water pokemon
If I'm using water pokemon,I can use ice beam against grass pokemon

I have yet to find any moves that can be learn by grass to be effective against fire.

Delio

AzureJericho said:
Ampharos was bloddy powerful in G/S/C. You weren't playing the game right if you didn't try to keep this guy as your main electric type during the majority of the Johto run. :lol

Truth. Thunderpunching your way thru the game was excellent. And it was my Star pokemon agiasnt Red at the end of the game. Plus who doesnt love a deformed Sheep :D

larvi

Defuser said:
You know,in the end Gamefreak never address the problem of starter grass pokemon being the worst of all 3 starters.

I have yet to find any moves that can be learn by grass to be effective against fire.

Torterra is part ground and learns EQ

fernoca

Defuser said:

Yeah, but you can use any grass move to a water Pokémon. ;) .. :p
McBacon said:
:lol :lol :lol

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I hope they find a way to replace shitty ass Lance with Cynthia. Best champion. Ever. Oh and give us the option to play as a female trainer.

fernoca said:
Yeah, but you can use any grass move to a water Pokémon.

Yeah, that was a broken argument. Water>Fire>Grass>Water etc.

And all of the grass starters in Pokemon games can learn Earthquake at minimum using TMs, not just Torterra. So there is definitely fire defense there.

Crazymoogle said:
Yeah, that was a broken argument. Water>Fire>Grass>Water etc.

And all of the grass starters in Pokemon games can learn Earthquake at minimum using TMs, not just Torterra. So there is definitely fire defense there.
Except against Charizard. :p

Ashodin

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE HO-OH, MOTHERFUCKERS
ho_oh_by_niv100.png

Look at those goddamn wings, goddamn
And those goddamn tail feathers, you aint never seen shit like those tail feathers
That beak will bite your goddamn head off, goddamn
Gotta use the master ball on this bitch, goddamn

TheCardPlayer said:
Oh and give us the option to play as a female trainer.
I think that's pretty much a given since they introduced a female trainer in Crystal. FR and LG even added one.

Though who to pick as a starter is a tough one. Totodile or Cyndaquil? I think I'll go Cyndaquil since Typhlosion looks to have Euruption now and that looks like a fun move. 150 + STAB damage assuming you're at full health.

And Ampharos was my favorite GSC Pokemon (along with Heracross) but he won't be as useful this time around since everyone and their dog get electric attacks, including most fire types. He's slow too but his movepool doesn't look terrible for getting through the game.

Jazzem

jman2050 said:
I remember my days reading up on any new info regarding Gold and Silver, and playing an acquired half-translated Gold ROM long before it was ever released here, spending hours marveling at Johto, the new additions, and of course spending hours trying to figure out what to do when the translation went all moonspeak on me.

Also 5 characters for Pokemon names. I sure trained the hell out of my HINOA that's for sure :lol

Same here, that was mindblowing for me at the time! Thankfully it didn't lessen the impact of the actual release of the game, due to the spotty translation making some parts of the game unplayable, and taking care not to play too far in. Finally getting the complete version was worth the wait though :D

Top Bottom