• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poker Night 2 |OT?|

There doesn't seem to be an OT so I made this thread.

MZzNWEj.jpg

Release Date
Xbox 360: April 24
Steam (PC and Mac): April 26
PS3: April 30
iOS: TBA

Description

Poker Night 2 is a poker video game developed by Telltale Games. It is the sequel to Poker Night at the Inventory and, like that game, Poker Night 2 features crossover characters from different franchises. The game was released for Steam, PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade in April 2013, with an iOS version coming at a later date.

Like the original game, Poker Night 2 is a computer-based poker simulation between an unseen participant (the player) and four characters. Each player starts with the same amount of virtual money, and competes in standard poker rules to try to eliminate all the other players by exhausting their money. In addition to Texas hold 'em style of play, Poker Night 2 includes Omaha hold 'em as well.

The four additional characters in addition to the player are Sam from the Sam & Max franchise (voiced by David Nowlin), who is assisted by Max (voiced by David Boat), Brock Samson from The Venture Bros. (voiced by Patrick Warburton), Ash Williams from The Evil Dead franchise (voiced by Danny Webber), and Claptrap from the Borderlands series (voiced by David Eddings). GLaDOS (voiced by Ellen McLain) from the Portal series takes a supporting role as the dealer. During the hands, these characters will provide humorous chatter between each other and towards the player. Players can also buy the other characters drinks in order to more easily expose their tells.

The game features "Bounty Unlocks" for completing certain goals, which will unlock new card, chip and table designs, as well as Borderlands 2 content and, depending on the platform played, Team Fortress 2 items on Steam, Xbox Avatar items, or PlayStation 3 themes.Simultaneously using chips, cards, and tables sharing the same theme will alter the design of the Inventory, opening up new conversation possibilities.

Achievements

Unlocks

PC

PS3

Xbox 360

Screenshots

IB7FzO1.jpg

EUZTRGj.jpg

antitrop

I pre-ordered this yesterday on a whim. Came with the first one for free, although I didn't see much point in trying it out when this comes out today.

I don't love poker as much as I used to before I lost... a substantial amount of money, but I still like to throw some cards around once in a while.

Got this for £2 from some Ukrainian trader on Steam. Played the first and enjoyed it.

Just started playing the second. So far it's essentially the same, with a little bit more polish. Omaha is a great addition. The AI seems to be improved, and from the tutorial it appears that the characters now have visible tells.

Tenumi

Banned
I would have loved to get it on 360, since that is what I have Borderlands 2 for as well, but the 800 MSPoint cost turned me off huge. Why have it cost $10 when it costs $5 on Steam?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Got this for £2 from some Ukrainian trader on Steam. Played the first and enjoyed it.

Just started playing the second. So far it's essentially the same, with a little bit more polish. Omaha is a great addition. The AI seems to be improved, and from the tutorial it appears that the characters now have visible tells.

They had tells in the first game too, but the AI was sort of bad so they didn't really matter.

Just put an hour and a half into it. Its fucking great, easily worth $5. The characters are fantastic, as expected. Claptrap is better than he is in borderlands, for those who were afraid. Sam actually has max sitting off to the side and he regularly participates in banter, which is a pleasant surprise.

Ai seems improved heavily as well. When i get home I'll play it more, i just got evil ash's crown.

JustinBB7

Was waiting for an OT. watching some dota games then gonna play this for a while :D

Edit: Also there was an update for the first game, like 100mb? Anybody know what it was?

They had tells in the first game too, but the AI was sort of bad so they didn't really matter.

Shit, really? I never noticed. The game was stupidly easy, and this sequel hasn't particularly different based on the couple of tournaments I've played.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This is a really good time and for 5 bucks you honestly can't lose. I hope people start snatching this one up.

Paskil

I had no plans to buy this since I'm terrible at and don't enjoy poker. It's somewhat disappointing that they couldn't get Bruce Campbell (I'm sure there is a valid, rational reason for this).

I have a huge mancrush on Patrick Warburton and would totally gay marry him.

If I remember right, playing the first game was easier on the Hard setting, because they didn't do as many random dumb things you wouldn't account for in a normal game.

Edit: You can watch the rest of the tournament if you bust out, which is a nice little addition. Seeing a close-up view of Brock's low-resolution fingernails? Not so much.

So I guess I just unlocked the "Omaha" type of Hold'em... it didn't actually explain the difference to me, just threw me in when I clicked on it. Finding my memory is fuzzy on what beats what hands, too, and which cards do or do not qualify for straights, flushes, etc.

Sam (& Max) are probably the funniest at the table, it was smart of them to include both this time. Max is often heckling Sam, or adding to his reactions.

If I remember right, playing the first game was easier on the Hard setting, because they didn't do as many random dumb things you wouldn't account for in a normal game.

Edit: You can watch the rest of the tournament if you bust out, which is a nice little addition. Seeing a close-up view of Brock's low-resolution fingernails? Not so much.

You could watch the rest of the tournament in the first game, or at least that's how it was when I played it a few weeks ago. It could've been different at launch.

They explain the basics of Hold'em, but I don't see anywhere that actually describes how to form the different hands and what their priority is. This was missing from the original too, but I'm shocked they didn't fix that for the sequel. It should be right on the Pause screen as a quick reference sheet.

No online, no buy.

There seems to be some kind of Online component. I saw the mention of tournaments when I started up the game. I think you have to complete challenges before you get access to it?

They explain the basics of Hold'em, but I don't see anywhere that actually describes how to form the different hands and what their priority is. This was missing from the original too, but I'm shocked they didn't fix that for the sequel. It should be right on the Pause screen as a quick reference sheet.

There seems to be some kind of Online component. I saw the mention of tournaments when I started up the game. I think you have to complete challenges before you get access to it?

They have and had a list of hands in order of strength for people who don't know how to play poker:

1638554-5199268783_72763f91ac_b.jpg

Why is this twice the price on XB360? On steam it's $5 but on Xbox Marketplace it's 800 points?

MS/Sony have a licence fee for every game that releases on their platforms. Add to that the fact that MS and Sony charge for mandatory QA and they need to cover their costs.

You can view a list of all hands, and which take priority. I don't know about the PC version, but on 360, you just press LT when it's your move, and you'll see "Cheat Sheet".

Also, a tournament is just what a game is called. There's no online.

Hit the left arrow at the bottom, next to where you order drinks theres a cheat sheet.

Every game you play in single player is a tournament. There is no online.

Okay, I know that, but there's ranking or something. There's even a ticker feed on the title screen.

They have and had a list of hands in order of strength for people who don't know how to play poker:

1638554-5199268783_72763f91ac_b.jpg

I see it does change to explain Omaha in the How to Play, it just doesn't prompt that.

But I swear I'm not seeing any screen like this in the game. Where do you go to see it?
Hit the left arrow at the bottom, next to where you order drinks theres a cheat sheet.

Oh, now I see it, thank you. I don't know why I didn't notice that arrow before, my mistake.

V_Ben

Banned
Yeah, it's pretty good. The actual poker feels better than it did in the first game, though that might just be because this one is actually optimised in os x. I wish I could turn up the dialogue frequency again though, loved hearing things after every hand.

The character selection is a big draw in these games, and as i've never watched the venture brothers, Brock Samson is lost on me entirely. He's entertaining enough though, and the rest of the banter is top notch. Nice to see them poke fun at the player being silent too.

Edit: Oh yeah, I won my first ever game in this on my first try, so... maybe it's better at explaining the rules of poker this time.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I was afraid having Sam might not be as funny as Max, but luckily Max hangs around the table and they interact with each other.
Ash barely seemed to have any lines, and most of them weren't very original so far.

V_Ben

Banned
I was afraid having Sam might not be as funny as Max, but luckily Max hangs around the table and they interact with each other.
Ash barely seemed to have any lines, and most of them weren't very original so far.

Yeah, he's nowhere near as chatty as i'd like him to be. A weird tendency to talk about ex girlfriends too... happened a few times in one game. Got a cute conversation between him and Brock though.

Krilekk

Banned
Why is this twice the price on XB360? On steam it's $5 but on Xbox Marketplace it's 800 points?

Avatar Awards = additional work?

I find the game quite shallow. Lines repeat very often, I have the feeling that after half an hour I've heard almost every dialogue twice. And it doesn't help gameplay that everybody sits in the same spot each round. The poker itself is good, not too easy.

Camjo-Z

This is well worth the $5 for the hilarious dialogue alone. GLaDOS's random interjections are probably my favorite part.

Avatar Awards = additional work?

I find the game quite shallow. Lines repeat very often, I have the feeling that after half an hour I've heard almost every dialogue twice. And it doesn't help gameplay that everybody sits in the same spot each round. The poker itself is good, not too easy.

Thats weird. I've been playing for a while and heard very few repeats.

legbone

Thats weird. I've been playing for a while and heard very few repeats.

me too. as a matter of fact, i'm probably just shy of 10 hours played and i'm still hearing new conversations that haven't been used before. sure there is quite a bit of repetition but the fact that there are still new things being said has surprised me. also, unless i'm nuts (very possible), it seems the ones i have heard have slight variations. sometimes glados will chime in and sometimes she won't (as one example of a variation).

Unlocking the unlocks are so much easier in this game. No need for luck and no need to have to wait for someone to randomly ante with an item.

The Sam and Max theme is my favorite thing by far.

me too. as a matter of fact, i'm probably just shy of 10 hours played and i'm still hearing new conversations that haven't been used before. sure there is quite a bit of repetition but the fact that there are still new things being said has surprised me. also, unless i'm nuts (very possible), it seems the ones i have heard have slight variations. sometimes glados will chime in and sometimes she won't (as one example of a variation).

I imagine it's a combination of the theme used and the order and how fast the characters the characters get knocked out for the most part.

Top Bottom