• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poker Night 2 |OT?|

Fox318

VL2XboD.png

Game is playing great on my tablet. Streaming is awesome.

There seems to be a lot of setting-specific chatter (you redecorate the Inventory using a trio of chips, cards, and felt). They're chatting up GLaDOS a lot more in the Portal setting, specifically talking about Aperture.

So I just downloaded this earlier before getting to work, and I'm hoping to get some game time in with it later this weekend but I have one question:

If I have no idea how Poker works would I still enjoy this game? I mean, does it teach you how to play the game at least?

So I just downloaded this earlier before getting to work, and I'm hoping to get some game time in with it later this weekend but I have one question:

If I have no idea how Poker works would I still enjoy this game? I mean, does it teach you how to play the game at least?

They do teach you, you probably won't be winning tournament after tournament, but you can still enjoy the game.

Jamie OD

It begins to make sense the more you play it. I knew nothing about poker when I got the first game and learned through that.

I'm enjoying it a ton, but I've come in second place on every tournament except one and Sam has beaten me every single fucking time. The only time I've won I made it a point to knock his ass out first. I like how they all play differently. Brock is kinda shitty, Claptrap has been quite conservative, Ash doesn't give a fuck and he's super aggressive...like Tom Dwan status, and Sam seems to be the smartest player. Maybe I'm giving the computer too much credit but Sam seems to do exactly what I'd do in his position most of the time. I really wish they'd switch the seats around...that's the only big fault I've noticed

Maybe I'm underestimating the difficulty of the game for those who don't regularly play poker. I win probably 80% of the tournaments I play in Poker Night 2.

I guess it's comparable to me when playing Omaha; I'm like a headless chicken there.

I think there are a lot more variables for the dialogue, like three-way conversations instead of just one-on-one or a full table, as well as GLaDOS. Unfortunately, this does mean there feels like there's less dialogue in general. Max has told his story about Sal the giant cockroach twice, and I've only seen two tournaments to their conclusion.

Aside from that, I definitely like it more than the first game. The AI is vastly superior in terms of challenge, and the unlocks set-up makes more sense instead of relying on random chance. Funny how that works for a poker game.

GLaDOS is the funniest, bringing her diabolical, fatalistic sarcasm which really makes the Portal games the classics they are. Claptrap also somehow really works, and the replacement for Bruce Campbell did a brilliant job. But best of all, Tycho isn't in it. Was easily worth the $5 for both games.

Maybe I'm underestimating the difficulty of the game for those who don't regularly play poker. I win probably 80% of the tournaments I play in Poker Night 2.

I guess it's comparable to me when playing Omaha; I'm like a headless chicken there.
I regularly play and I'm finding it difficult. Well it's mostly Sam and it's primarily because of where he's sitting. Plus he generally knocks out 2 people and I knock out 1, so he'll be ahead in chips during heads-up. I'm gonna try Omaha...I might have better luck

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Bought this as I love the first one. Played my first tournament and one it taking three players in the process. My showdown was with Brock and I swear that the game was giving me the shittiest hands on purpose. I'm pretty sure I worked out Brock's tell, however.

Jamie OD

There is a conversation in the game that explains why none of the Walking Dead characters took part.
Sam thinks fame has gotten to their heads and "even secondary characters like that goofball Larry wanted script approval."

Mononoke

Banned
I'm having issue with my resolution. I have a 16:10 2560x1600p monitor, and I'm getting black bars on top and bottom. When I go back to the menu to check my resolution, I see it defaults back to 2560x1400p resolution.

So I have the option to select 1600p, but when I go back and check it again, it says it's 1440p.

Anyone hear about this problem?

Having put extensive time into the game at this point.... It's not as good as 1.

Particularly, Ash brings down the game heavily. He's just not funny, yet he seems to talk far... far.... FAAAAAR to often. Sam is also not nearly as funny as Max, and indeed the only time his lines are funny seem to be when Max chimes in. Also Claptrap is still annoying...

Anyways, they did massively improve the mechanics, and I enjoy omaha to texas hold 'em so at least there is that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I find the fact they use the same over the top way to collect the chips every time really annoying. That Animation of Ash pulling out his shotgun is just getting on my nerves.

I think Sam is the weakest character.

There is a conversation in the game that explains why none of the Walking Dead characters took part.
Sam thinks fame has gotten to their heads and "even secondary characters like that goofball Larry wanted script approval."

It sucks that you see fucking
Doug
as cameo :|

JMizzlin

Anyone find in terms of difficulty it goes Ash > Brock > Claptrap > Sam?

It seems Sam always folds first, Claptrap freaks out at raises, Brock only gets unlucky and Ash is fucking difficult.

JustinBB7

Played for a few hours, great game. Like all the unlock stuff and all the content. Seems a lot more than the first game.

Wish Moxxi would do more than just stand there/serve drinks though..

It seems Sam always folds first, Claptrap freaks out at raises, Brock only gets unlucky and Ash is fucking difficult.

It seems random so far to me, though I'm usually heads up against Brock. I remember in the first game Tycho was extremely cautious, it does seem like Sam fills this same role.

Samus4145

Enjoying the game, but man do I suck at poker.

I actually always get Ash to lose first.

Camjo-Z

From what I've seen:

-Sam is super cautious and will fold early on most of the time, if he does play he'll mostly check, and when he's betting he probably has a hand that will beat yours.

-Claptrap is unpredictable, he's similar to Sam but he bluffs a lot more. Sometimes he legitimately has a good hand, but it's rare.

-Ash is overly confident and will go all in before the flop with mediocre cards if you goad him into it, but as the game goes on he becomes more difficult to beat.

-Brock is basically a more cautious Ash but will bluff more than he probably should.

Symphonic

You guys know that the AI for each character is totally random, right? Sometimes they're better, sometimes they're worse. They don't play a particular style.

Jintor

It sucks that you see fucking
Doug
as cameo :|

I laughed so much.

God, I love the concept of the Inventory as just this place where all these videogame characters hang out. VGCW is where they go to wrestle, Inventory is where they can get a drink and spend some serious dosh. The 30 flights of loving room, I was so happy just from that brief glimpse.

Pity I don't care much for the cast, Tycho, Strongbad, Max and Heavy were amazing conversation partners, but the current one is just alright. Also Brock nearly thrashed me, the double bluffing bastard

% chance of winning:

It explains this - there's still a percentage chance to draw, so it adds up to over 100% total

Do I suck at poker or does the ia pulls the exact right card as the last moment everytime ?

I'm -$240k so far : /

Woot! I'm doing better than someone! Only 180k in the hole <_<

I wouldn't say the AI pulls the perfect card, I just tend to get impatient. I usually get down to 1 on 1, but if I'm behind in funds (often times I'll start the 1v1 at 20-30k to their 70-80k) and widdling down 1v1 is long and frankly, boring. My tournament wins have been from going into 1v1 in a much stronger position (60+k)

My favorite deck is definitely Venture Bros.
Favorite chips are Borderlands 2.

Haven't unlocked any of the portal stuff yet though.

My favorite deck is definitely Venture Bros.
Favorite chips are Borderlands 2.

Haven't unlocked any of the portal stuff yet though.

Venture bros is by far my least favourite deck. I find it takes too much cocentration to discern the different suits, plus orange backgrounds for cards is just annoying. Default is great as is the Borderlands deck.

Top Bottom